Rank List Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychlover711

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Rank List

Hello! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed so I’m looking for advice on my rank list. I understand I’ll get a decent education anywhere, so location and work life balance are the most important factors for me (except for my number 1, which I loved). I’d love any insight on the work life balance for these programs.

1. Yale
2. Tower Health Phoenixville
3. Temple
4. Metropolitan
5. Mt. Sinai Beth Israel (merging with main in a year)
6. Baycare
7. WMC
8. Montefiore
9. Zucker Hillside
10. Jefferson
11. Inspira
12. Crozer Chester
13. SUNY Downstate

Members don't see this ad.

Ivy league names are on the front lines of the culture wars, and may actually hurt patient perceptions rather then enhance like in the past.
If putting Yale as top simply because of Yale and not other more objective reasons of actual training, hours, call, etc.
You might want to place it where it belongs based on that.

Reactions: 1 user
I know some Yale psychiatrists. If you go to Yale, for the rest of your life, you will enter every conversation trying to find a good opportunity to mention it. It will become a chore. You'll spend free time thinking of all the different phrases you can use: "When I was at Yale..." "At Yale we always..." "That kind of reminds me of Yale!" and so on and so forth.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really liked the focus on social justice at Yale and loved the vibe of the residents so that’s truly the reason I’m ranking it highly—I’d love everyone’s opinion on the work life balance of the rest of the programs if you have experience with them!

Everyone's reasons for ranking are their own and you should rank according to your own preferences but your current ranking is fairly baffling in the juxtaposition of very different programs. It's true that you can get a good education at many different places but it's also true that the availability of various subspecialty opportunities and exposure to certain things is greatly affected by where you train. I wouldn't even know where to begin in giving advice except I've certainly never heard of Temple being a program known for work/life balance and the financial health of Tower Health is in doubt.

Last edited:
I really liked the focus on social justice at Yale and loved the vibe of the residents so that’s truly the reason I’m ranking it highly—I’d love everyone’s opinion on the work life balance of the rest of the programs if you have experience with them!
Lol, “social justice”. I interviewed twice at Yale, for fellowship and for an attending position. Both times, I had an interviewer make racist comments to me. And both times, I was asked what type of visa I’m on (I was born and raised in the US). I’ve talked to friends who’ve had a similar experience at Yale; it’s not an isolated example.

Reactions: 3 users
Frankly the so called liberal types tend to make far more cultural assumptions and have very specific “ideas” about different ethnicities other than white.

Hello! Im feeling a bit overwhelmed so I’m looking for advice on my rank list. I understand I’ll get a decent education anywhere, so location and work life balance are the most important factors for me (except for my number 1, which I loved). I’d love any insight on the work life balance for these programs.

I would not make that assumption. It may be true for the programs you have listed (I'm not familiar with several of them, so can't comment there) but I've met plenty of psychiatrists who felt their training was not adequate or felt that significant areas were lacking.