Rank Order List! Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyphus666

Reaction score
Could someone help me rank my Categorical Psychiatry programs - Rutgers New Jersey Medical School (NJMS), University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), Kansas University Medical Center (KUMC), Texas Tech Lubbock, and SUNY Upstate (Syracuse NY)???

Or give me some advice on which of them to make my #1? I'm leaning towards NJMS or UAB.

Interests: Primarily psychotherapy. Would prefer to have VA and community rotations, and good forensic exposure. Not interested in a Child/Adolescent fellowship.

Background: FMG currently on the east coast but willing to move to a ****tier city for a better training program

Members don't see this ad.

Interests: Primarily psychotherapy.

Not to be that guy, but you do realize you're applying to psychiatry and not psychology? I have heard of zero programs where the focus is "primarily" psychotherapy.

Or give me some advice on which of them to make my #1?
This is going to be a wild concept, but how about you rank the program you liked the best? You think internet strangers can pick out the best residency program for you? If you're lucky someone here will have trained at one of those programs and will doxx themselves to give you inside info. In reality, none of us here know much about random programs across the country.

Pick the program you liked the best. Don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.

Reactions: 1 user
SUNY Upstate is the clear number 1 on that list

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be that guy, but you do realize you're applying to psychiatry and not psychology? I have heard of zero programs where the focus is "primarily" psychotherapy.

This is going to be a wild concept, but how about you rank the program you liked the best? You think internet strangers can pick out the best residency program for you? If you're lucky someone here will have trained at one of those programs and will doxx themselves to give you inside info. In reality, none of us here know much about random programs across the country.

Pick the program you liked the best. Don't make this more difficult than it needs to be.
1) Psychotherapy is MY "primary" interest.
2) Yes, I do think other people have more insight into random programs that may be scattered throughout the country than I do and I am open to all different opinions that add something to the conversation than "do it yourself".
3) A couple of people (graduates from these programs) did reach out, which definitely helped me A LOT. So the post does accomplish at least that.
4) I would not make this post if I wasn't confused about it myself and if it was as simple as "I like this one the most".

I’ve heard good things about UAB, Rutgers, and SUNY.

I personally prefer the south though, so UAB and TT would be my selections.

While good training is important, you have to live there for 4 years. Be sure you are happy with your order.

I’ve heard good things about UAB, Rutgers, and SUNY.

I personally prefer the south though, so UAB and TT would be my selections.

While good training is important, you have to live there for 4 years. Be sure you are happy with your order.
Thank you so much!!! Leaving the programs aside, do you think Birmingham is better to live in or Lubbock?

Thank you so much!!! Leaving the programs aside, do you think Birmingham is better to live in or Lubbock?
All this depends on who you are and what you like. Where someone else prefers to live is meaningless for your decision because we're different people with different preferences.

• Hmm
All this depends on who you are and what you like. Where someone else prefers to live is meaningless for your decision because we're different people with different preferences.
Oh almost like people's decisions and preferences are based solely on feelings and do not have any basis in rationality and therefore can't be shared with other people! So valid!!!

Oh almost like people's decisions and preferences are based solely on feelings and do not have any basis in rationality and therefore can't be shared with other people! So valid!!!
Lol you come on here and start a thread asking people to make your rank list for you and get all upset when people tell you it’s your decision to make. Probably time to close this thread.

Last edited:
This is like asking do you want a vomit or diarrhea smoothie. Of course this is just my opinion. Others may like these places.

Lol you come on here and start a thread asking people to make your rank list for you and get all upset when people tell you it’s your decision to make. Probably time to close this thread.

100%. Imagine ranking some place you didn't like higher than another place you liked better because some random internet stranger told you it was good.
you have to live there for 4 years. Be sure you are happy with your order.

Listen to this advice. There is not one single program in the country that is "so much better" that you should rank it higher than other places if you are going to hate living there.

In my opinion, if psychotherapy is your thing you should find out if there is a psychoanalytic institute or other bastion of psychotherapy in that city. You can inquire about this in interviews.

Also, ask residents if they do psychotherapy, and how things are going with their supervisors. Their answers will tell you much about therapy's status in that program.

I went to a program with a reputation for valuing psychotherapy training and even there, it was mostly an underground hidden curriculum you had to seek out yourself. Bit of a hero's journey, really.

Reactions: 2 users
hehe dont think i will

100%. Imagine ranking some place you didn't like higher than another place you liked better because some random internet stranger told you it was good.

Listen to this advice. There is not one single program in the country that is "so much better" that you should rank it higher than other places if you are going to hate living there.
Thank you. The second part is actually constructive. Duly noted

In my opinion, if psychotherapy is your thing you should find out if there is a psychoanalytic institute or other bastion of psychotherapy in that city. You can inquire about this in interviews.

Also, ask residents if they do psychotherapy, and how things are going with their supervisors. Their answers will tell you much about therapy's status in that program.

I went to a program with a reputation for valuing psychotherapy training and even there, it was mostly an underground hidden curriculum you had to seek out yourself. Bit of a hero's journey, really.
I will definitely look into that. Will reach out to the residents as well. Some psychoanalytic institutes also offer online classes, like PANY I think, and will look into those too. Thank you so much for the advice!

You're welcome. Your training starts now! Did you notice what a strong reaction you had to some of the advice above? *

* this question is for entertainment purposes only, but take care not to reject good advice

Reactions: 3 users
With psychotherapy being your focus I would recommend trying to gather:

-When do you start therapy supervision (PGY2 caseload, or PGY3)?
-How much supervision do you get?
-How many hours of therapy does the typical PGY3 do per week (this is often a core psychotherapy training year)?
-What options do you have to emphasize therapy training in PGY4?
-What psychotherapy approaches are taught, and how are they taught? For instance, do you match with a supervisor who discusses cases with you? Do supervisors review recorded sessions? Do you participate in specialized therapy programs such as a DBT program? Is there an emphasis on psychodynamic therapy, CBT, or other approaches?
-What type of psychotherapy didactics are available?
-As above, are there local training institutes that often work with residents in the program?

I am not familiar with the listed programs and thus don't have much insight into them. Issues like the above, though, go a long way toward making obvious which programs really value therapy by putting significant time and emphasis on teaching and supervising it.

You're welcome. Your training starts now! Did you notice what a strong reaction you had to some of the advice above? *

* this question is for entertainment purposes only, but take care not to reject good advice
There are more layers to it than you think. If I don't stand up for myself, this thread gets run over with "make your own ROL" replies when I am actually looking for honest advice from people who I think know more than I do. But appreciate the insight, and thank you.

With psychotherapy being your focus I would recommend trying to gather:

-When do you start therapy supervision (PGY2 caseload, or PGY3)?
-How much supervision do you get?
-How many hours of therapy does the typical PGY3 do per week (this is often a core psychotherapy training year)?
-What options do you have to emphasize therapy training in PGY4?
-What psychotherapy approaches are taught, and how are they taught? For instance, do you match with a supervisor who discusses cases with you? Do supervisors review recorded sessions? Do you participate in specialized therapy programs such as a DBT program? Is there an emphasis on psychodynamic therapy, CBT, or other approaches?
-What type of psychotherapy didactics are available?
-As above, are there local training institutes that often work with residents in the program?

I am not familiar with the listed programs and thus don't have much insight into them. Issues like the above, though, go a long way toward making obvious which programs really value therapy by putting significant time and emphasis on teaching and supervising it.
Thank you so much! I will make a rubric in my unofficial ROL so I can factor all these questions into the sheet!! And reach out to residents if any of them are unanswered. Appreciate it!! :)

There are more layers to it than you think. If I don't stand up for myself, this thread gets run over with "make your own ROL" replies when I am actually looking for honest advice from people who I think know more than I do. But appreciate the insight, and thank you.
You sure you're psychologically minded enough to do therapy?

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.