PM&R on ER

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Disciple

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't know if anybody watches this show anymore, but was flipping through the channel the other night.

They had a story where one of their residents switches from EM to PM&R after having his legs amputated.

When he's letting his colleagues know about his career change, one of them quips, "And you actually like it?":laugh:

Then he goes into a spiel about SCI, TBI, amputees and the VA.

Anyway, it kind of sounded like a pre-paid plug or advertisement. Wondering how that got in the script?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. That's awesome!! Do you know if that was from this season, or was it a re-run? Because the last 5 episodes are available on NBC's website to watch for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think these kinds of mentions are huge for the growth of the field- I think the repeated iterations help in increasing our awareness in the public consciousness

I forget if this was in an earlier thread, but one of the contestants in Season 1 of the American Gladiators reboot was a PM&R resident

It's a struggle, though. Last year, I did a few TV and radio spots for some local news organizations. The only request that I made was that I be referred to as a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physician. At the TV station, the producer kept trying to change what they would call me (it was too long to fit on the screen, they were afraid the reporter would trip over the words, etc), but eventually they relented.

Anyway, glad to hear the ER mention.

I forget if this was in an earlier thread, but one of the contestants in Season 1 of the American Gladiators reboot was a PM&R resident

Yeah, she was an Asian girl from California right? That was cool to see.

It's a struggle, though. Last year, I did a few TV and radio spots for some local news organizations. The only request that I made was that I be referred to as a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation physician. At the TV station, the producer kept trying to change what they would call me (it was too long to fit on the screen, they were afraid the reporter would trip over the words, etc), but eventually they relented.

Good job. Any footage of that?

I think these kinds of mentions are huge for the growth of the field- I think the repeated iterations help in increasing our awareness in the public consciousness

Actually, Dr. Venus Ramos is one of our clinical attendings here at UC Irvine.

I may have to reconsider going out west to train...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
The other specialties have their McDreamy and McSteamy and attractive ER characters, we need our own. McVenus?

The other specialties have their McDreamy and McSteamy and attractive ER characters, we need our own. McVenus?

:laugh:

That'll be the talk on the interview trail this year.

"Hell yeah, I got to interview with McVenus!"

:laugh:

That'll be the talk on the interview trail this year.

"Hell yeah, I got to interview with McVenus!"

:laugh: Can I be McLovin? Hey, anybody interviewing with LSU this Friday, call me McLovin. Think it'll stick Disciple? Me either. :(

That can be your new forum name. You can change your avatar while you're at it.

Man, some of you guys need to get out more :laugh: I haven't had the opportunity to work with Dr. Ramos very often; only on the weekends when she is the on-call attending. An attending is an attending guys.... especially when you are rounding and writing notes on 3 services on a Saturday and wanting to get out of there ASAP!

MSKalltheway,

For those on the east coast, you don't have to go west to find the other PM&R American Gladiator. Apparently a resident at Univ. of Maryland/Sinai program was a finalist for the show as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgA8qX6l2nk

Among his many accolades: high diver at water country busch gardens, skydiver, professional gymnast, apparently he is also a professional cyclist, riding with the likes of Lance Armstrong, Christian Vande Velde etc.. Check out the flips down the hall in the video in the white coat.

Pretty cool.