Official 2009 USMLE Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VFib911

excess NADH
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two days premature, but I thought I would get it started anyway as I just took the exam this morning!!!!!

Overall impressions:
- Path, path, path - been said before and I'll say it again "know it Goljan style"
- Don't forget the biostats. I prob had 10-13 questions here.
- UW is gold... both for content and material presentation. Get comfortable with the interface and it will help you test day as it is very similar.
- FA was very helpful, but I used it for review rather than primary study source.

Today:
- In at 8:30, out at 2:30.Finished each block with 10-15 minutes left.
- Three breaks, one quick trip to the BR, one 10 minute Red bull/ powerbar refresher, and one 20 minute monster/ MetRx "lunch" and walk.
- I didn't find a large difference in content difficulty between the different module. The second-to-last was my most difficult and I was have ing a little difficulty concentrating, but I think my brain was pre-toast.

I'm feeling pretty relieved at the moment as it was not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. In NO WAY was it easy, but certainly doable. I had planned on taking this in July after the COMLEX, but I convinced myself I was not ready for it. Retrospectively, I feel I still would have done well after my COMLEX prep, but the last 6 months has filled in a lot of gaps.

Pre-COMLEX:
- Goljan mp3's 1st and 2nd years commuting to-from school. I did a ton of commuting. Highly valuable.
- Kaplan Biochem DVD(felt it was my weakest) and Micro DVD(lots of content).
- MedEssentials and FA for system-based content review. Big Robbins for reference only.
- CMMRS, know the virus charts, staph and strep algorithms, systemic mycoses, immunocompromised opportunistics.
- Costanza text for physio. Tried to review BRS physio (also Costanza), but I am strong in physio and I felt I was wasting my time.
- Lippincott pharm. Cover-to-cover, but overkill. Easy read though if you know your pharm.
- Kaplan and FA for biostats.
- Flash cards from eBay, both electronic and paper. Great way to review - at least for me - but be aware there are occasional errors. Prob went through 5-7000, really.
- BRS flash cards - Micro, Pharm, Biochem.
- (Savarese for any DO's - know the green book and you are golden.)

COMLEX - 06/08.

Post- COMLEX

UWorld - Thank god I did this. Wish I had done this before the COMLEX. Did tutor mode, took notes, looked each unknown up. I ended up with about 40 pages of topics with key notes written next to each topic. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
HY Histo, Cell Bio, Immuno. By this time it was mostly review, but they all helped tie things together and are quick reads.

One week before test:

Goljan cover-to-cover. Goes quick when it is review.
HY Neuroanat - overkill for my exam. Still good topics if you have the time.
FA cover-to-cover.
Reviewed UW notes/ answers.

UW - 100% completed, overall 68%. Last 450 questions mid 70's. Tutor, random, unused.

That's it. I have been meaning to post this for a while after my COMLEX grade posting, but never got around to doing it... been too damn busy reading. I'll update when result is in.

BTW - anyone know if it takes longer to receive your grade this time of year since fewer people are taking the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Step 1 score: 276/99

Exam on 2008/12/26:

I started the exam at 8:30 and finished at 4:00 with 20 minutes of break time to spare. On average, I spent 45 minutes in each block and took a 20-minute break after each block (except the first block). During each break, I would drink 300mL of oolong tea or green tea to keep me awake, eat half a sandwich, go to the washroom, and wash my face so I felt refreshed and ready to tackle the next block. I thought the strategy worked quite well for me.

;)

Aren't you allowed only 45 min of total break time ?

Thanks for raising this point. Sorry I probably didn't make it very clear in my post. Because I only spent 45 minutes in each block, I had 15 minutes extra time added to my break time from each block. And because I skipped the tutorial, I had 15 minutes additional break time as well.

Hey Vfib,

Congratulations on a great score.

Can you share your scoring trends with UWORLD? i.e, What percentage did you start at and what was your average closer to the end? How many times did you do UW?

Thanks,

Hey NJ,

Initially, the first 500-or-so questions, I was right at 71%. Then I changed my approach toward UW and got a little careless. If I answered a question right, I would skim the explanation if needed, but mostly just go to the next question. If I answered a question incorrectly, I would read the explanation and take a note on the broad topic I wanted to review. Since I was essentially looking for high-yield topics to review at a later time, rather than doing detailed studying question-by-question, I got careless and did a few too many questions while winding down late in the evening with a little bourbon... Certainly not the best idea, I admit, but while it did affect my performance in UW, it still provided me with the high-yield topics I wanted to make sure I knew cold. So my 71 slowly slipped and I finished with a 68% with 450 questions to go. At that point, I stopped UW and spent considerable time researching the topics I wanted to clarify. With a week to go before the test, I resumed UW and was averaging mid-to-high 70's, but by that time it was too late to affect my avg.

My primary goal with UW was to identify what I didn't know, rather than prove what I did.

Again, all question done random, unused, tutor, 100% complete. Only went through once. I did not re-do the incorrect questions as I took notes to understand the concepts of those questions I answered incorrectly.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 hour if you skip the intro.

7x5 = 35 extra minutes + 1 hr = 95 minutes total break time

95/5 = ~20 minutes of break time each block if he didn't take any break between block 1 and 2

Eighty two 12 hour study days is a damn long time to spend studying for boards.

Just wanna say, grats to VFib and Pollux. You guys have already gotten me super motivated for my shot.

Hey VFIB, great score buddy, you started off the 2009 thread with a great example already...

Thanks Lambo. This forum really made it possible for me to have all the potential resources I needed. Prior to spending ample research time on SDN, I had no idea of UW and just how valuable it was. All the tools are here on the forum, it's just a matter of finding the ones that work best for you. Good luck man.

Just wanna say, grats to VFib and Pollux. You guys have already gotten me super motivated for my shot.

Thanks Slide. Staying motivated is essential. I was almost burned out near the end of M2 year, but a week off after the end of the semester was enough to get me back into the game for some full-time board prep. Stay motivated but don't run out of steam too early. Good luck this spring.

1 hour if you skip the intro.

7x5 = 35 extra minutes + 1 hr = 95 minutes total break time

95/5 = ~20 minutes of break time each block if he didn't take any break between block 1 and 2

Eighty two 12 hour study days is a damn long time to spend studying for boards.

Actually, more like 7x15 = 105 extra minutes + 1 hr = 165 minutes total break time. That's why I finished the exam with 20+ minutes of break time to spare (after filling out the stupid survey at the end, of course). You're allowed 60 minutes for each block, not 50 minutes, so I would gain 15 minutes of extra break time for finishing each block in 45 minutes.

I never said I studied 12 hours a day. It was spread out over a year because I had minimal time to study during my 3rd year rotations, but 1 or 2 hours each day still helps.

Last edited:
:eek: Congrats my friend. You get the award for the highest score on SDN!

Let me guess, Rads for residency?

Thank you. Nope definitely not Rads, I hate X-rays. I'm going to be a Pathologist! :laugh:

Thanks, I'm glad my experience helped other people. Good luck on your exam too.

Quick question:

How do you rate the level of difficulty of the different NBME exams (1 through 6)? I just took #3 and I am a little saddened to see I did worse than on the previous two with more studying!

I feel sick after reading those MONSTER scores all the while remembering dumb ass mistakes that I made on my test :S, as for the NBME - I took 6 before prep and 3 two weeks prior to the exam. 6 for me is a distant memory, but I do remember 3 and I'd say it was very similar to my actual exam - especially with the straightforward anatomy/neuroanatomy thats thrown at you.

Most people said that 3 was the hardest but I thought it was much easier than 6, but then again I would considering where in my study timeline I took each exam.

So as for difficulty its quite hard to judge but 3 was very similar to my actual exam.

Step 1 score: 276/99

Initial goal: 250+
Total prep time: 1000 hours.

IMG at an Australian medical school (UQ); MCAT=38
NBME 1: 258 (9 months out)
NBME 2: 261 (2 months out)
NBME 6: 262 (25 days out)
UW 1: 265+ (15 days out)
NBME 3: 265+ (8 days out)
NBME 4: 265+ (6 days out)
UW 2: 265+ (4 days out)
NBME 5: 265+ (2 days out)
USMLE CD: 96% (1 day out)

I did over 10000 USMLE-style practice exam questions in the following order:
USMLERx: 94%
Kaplan Qbank: 91%
First Aid Q&A step 1: 93%
UW: 88% (Random, unused, first time through)
Plus NBME + UW exams + USMLE CD + RR Goljan...

Prep material:
FA of course!! I read it cover-to-cover 3 times. However, I tend to cross-reference it when I read other books and I frequently consulted it during second year during PBL. I also annotated notes in FA when I did UW, so I was very familar with the content of this book. For every diagram/table/metabolic pathway in FA, I made sure that they were familiar to the point that I was able to to reproduce them from memory.
Anatomy: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep, USMLE Road Map Anatomy, HY Neuroanatomy.
Behavioural science: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep.
Biochemistry: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep.
Cell biology: HY Cell and molecular biology.
Microbiology: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep, Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, MicroCards.
Immunology: Kaplan notes & FA.
Pharmacology: Kaplan notes & Kaplan webprep, HY Pharm, Pharmacology Flash Cards (Brenner).
Physiology: Kaplan notes, BRS Physiology.
Pathology: BRS Pathology, Goljan audio, Goljan notes.

Preparation timeline:
Probably quite atypical compared to most US medical students. I initially intended to sit the exam at the beginning of third year, so I spent a month studying after second year was over. At the end of the month, I didn't feel quite ready and decided to postpone my exam till the end of third year, thinking that I would have plenty of time to study during the clinical rotations. Wrong. I only had some time during my rural rotation and psychiatry rotation to study for USMLE, but could only manage to do 1-2hr/day on weekdays and up to 8hr/day on weekends. At the end of third year, I spent a month studying hardcore again, and finally took the exam on the 26th of December. The Australian school year runs from January to November, by the way.

During second year - Read BRS Pathology and pretty much memorized the book. I love pathology so it wasn't really a daunting task for me. I also started listening to Goljan audios in first year and I was really glad that I started early. I finished Goljan audios at least three times, but I always felt that I learned something new each time.

December 2007 - Finished reading Kaplan notes (all subjects except Path) and Goljan notes for Path. 8-10hr/day. (300hr)

Jan - Nov 2008 - On and off. I did NBME1 in March and got 258(720) and was pretty happy that reading Kaplan notes paid off. However, I had only about 4 months during this time (rural and psych) where I could fit USMLE studying into my schedule, but could only manage to study about 25 hours a week. During this time, I read the supplementary material (HY, Road Map, flash cards), listened to Kaplan webprep while commuting, and did the majority of the practice questions. (400hr)

December 2008 - Did most of the NBMEs and UW assessment exams in this month. Completed UW question bank for the second time. Spent the last week just memorizing FA and doing practice questions. 8-10hr/day. (300hr)

Exam on 2008/12/26:

I started the exam at 8:30 and finished at 4:00 with 20 minutes of break time to spare. On average, I spent 45 minutes in each block and took a 20-minute break after each block (except the first block). During each break, I would drink 300mL of oolong tea or green tea to keep me awake, eat half a sandwich, go to the washroom, and wash my face so I felt refreshed and ready to tackle the next block. I thought the strategy worked quite well for me.

I thought the exam was quite a bit harder than NBME but easier than UW. It was probably comparable to UW self-assessment exams in terms of difficulty. I marked 6-7 questions each block. I thought 85% of the questions was straight-forward, 10% was tricky, and 5% was difficult.

Pathology: Not surprisingly the bulk of the exam. Around 70% of the questions were patholgy questions or required pathology integration. I thought UW covered these sorts of questions really well, so there weren't really any surprises for me. I only had around 5 questions that came with pictures of gross pathology specimens.

Anatomy/neuroanatomy: 15 questions. Most of them involved intepretation of X-rays/CT/MRIs, nothing too obscure. I even had brain CT and angiograms for structure identification. Make sure you know the brain stem and cranial nerves well.

Behavioral science: 20 questions. Half were biostatistics, and the other half were the typical "what would be the best action/response in this scenario" type of questions. I thought just reading FA or Kaplan notes was not really sufficient to answer these sorts of questions. I had almost no questions that came out of the psychiatry section in FA, except a few psychotropic medications and a question on defense mechanisms.

Biochemistry/Cell bio/Molecular bio: Geez, I noticed the trend of increasing proportions of cell biology questions in the NBME, but I never expected this many on my exam. I probably had 50 questions that fell into this category (Biochem/Cell bio). I was glad that I flipped through HY Cell and Molecular biology just a few days before the exam, because it probably helped me answer 5 questions correctly. The different kinds of receptors and intracellular signalling pathways are extremely high-yield. For metabolism, know the key regulatory enzymes and global control of metabolic processes (i.e. insulin vs glucagon's effects).

Pharmacology: Around 25 questions. Piece of cake compared to UW. I thought FA covers pharmacology in sufficient details. As usual, emphasis was placed on autonomic pharmacology and cardiovascular medications. I had quite a few questions on pharmacodynamics too.

Microbiology: 30 questions. Make sure you know the various bacterial exotoxins and their mechanisms of action. Quite a few questions involved TB and HIV. Even West Nile virus appeared on my exam.

Physiology: 30 questions. Most involved the up/down arrows and graph interpretation. Endocrine questions are high-yield too.

I walked out of the testing centre feeling quite confident I did pretty well. I was certain I broke 260, but wasn't too sure if I was able to get 270+. Got the score today, 276/99! I didn't even know it was possible! Needless to say, I was ecstatic!! :laugh:

Finally, Thanks to everyone on SDN! I didn't have a clue how to prepare for this exam just 2 years ago, and this is the place that helped me start rolling. Please feel free to PM me with any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them. ;)
Congrats !
I am currently in second year of med school. I am planning to appear step 1 next year. What's the ideal time to start solving Q banks ? Could you answer all the pathology questions by studying Goljan and BRS Path ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Quick question:

How do you rate the level of difficulty of the different NBME exams (1 through 6)? I just took #3 and I am a little saddened to see I did worse than on the previous two with more studying!

I agree with hj0517 in that I felt that NBME6 was harder than NBME3. The other forms were quite a bit easier.

Congrats !
I am currently in second year of med school. I am planning to appear step 1 next year. What's the ideal time to start solving Q banks ? Could you answer all the pathology questions by studying Goljan and BRS Path ?

I'd recommend starting questions as early as possible, preferably after you finish your first read through all the review materials. Yes, I was very comfortable with the pathology questions on my exam. UW pathology questions were almost identical in content, style, and difficulty to the real exam questions. I'd recommend them highly.

I've compiled a Q&A from the emails and PMs I've received since last Wednesday. I'd like to thank those who emailed or PMed me and also their permission to post their questions up. I hope this answers more questions regarding my exam preparation. :)

Learning Resources:

Q: What edition of Kaplan notes did you use, and did you use the accompanying videos?
A: I used Kaplan notes 2004 edition. I was running out of time toward the end of my preparation so I didn't use the videos.

Q: Did the Kaplan webprep audios make a big difference where the lecture notes are concerned?
A: I wouldn't say the webprep audios were essential, but they certainly helped solidify many important concepts, especially for biochem and pharm. If time is a factor for your preparation, I would suggest doing the webprep audios only after you finish reading the lecture notes.

Q: First Aid – how much does it cover?
A: FA covered about 80% of the material on my exam, so I would definitely recommend using it as the primary resource the week before the exam. I went over the rapid review section at the end of FA the night before the exam date, and I found it quite helpful as a last-minute review.

Q: Do you think the lecture notes for biochem are okay to use without the videos?
A: I think the lecture notes for biochem are adequate to be used on its own; I didn't use Kaplan videos so couldn't comment on them. However, I would highly recommend listening to webprep for biochem. Dr. Raymon is just simply amazing; he does an excellent job integrating pathology, pharm, and biochem. However, it is still of utmost importance to memorize all the tables/diagrams/metabolic pathways in the biochem section of FA. I think it really ties the information together nicely toward the end of the preparation.

Q: For Pharmacology, do you think studying FA is enough?
A: I think FA is enough for Pharm, provided that you know the mechanisms of the drugs well. I found it quite difficult to memorize the list of clinical uses and side effects without having a solid understanding of the mechanisms, so I chose to do Kaplan notes before tackling FA, and it certainly made those things easier to memorize.

Q: Did you like the Pharmacology flash cards you used or were they too detailed?
A: I liked the flash cards, they are handy to carry around if you want to study them on the bus or during a boring lecture. It can also be conveniently used to quiz yourself, with the drug's generic name and trade name on one side, and the list of drug class, mechanism, clinical uses, side effects, route of metabolism on the other side. I don't think they are overly detailed.

Q: Despite reading Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple over again, I am still missing tons of micro questions. I dont feel like there is anyway to "master" these questions cause they often test trivia that while I know I read, I just cant recall on the spot. Although, I do think my main problem here is focusing too much on MRS and not on FA.
A: I agree with you that using FA to supplement MRS would be very helpful. It's a good idea to start with MRS in the beginning of your preparation, but toward the end, the tables in MRS and the charts in FA are the way to go. A heavy amount of rote memorization is required to master Microbiology, that's for sure. I would encourage you to focus on the classifications and lab algorithms first before you start memorizing the rest of the minutiae. (Remember: Big pictures first!) The gram positive and negative lab algorithms in FA are gold. Pay close attention to the bacterial exotoxins as well, because they frequently appear on the exam. Make sure you know these like the back of your hand. For virology, use the mnemoics in Kaplan notes to remember the DNA, +RNA, and -RNA viruses.

Q: You mentioned that kaplan and FA were not enough for behavioural and biostat questions. Any suggestion what shall I go for to cover that?
A: A lot of my friends liked HY behavioural and biostats a lot, but I have only read the first few chapters of HY BS so I can't really comment on them. I didn't like Kaplan and FA because they focused too much on the psychiatric disorders, and not so much on the "best response/action" scenario type of questions. The practice questions from UW and NBME are very good though, and I would recommend doing as many questions like those as you can, so you're familiar with the concepts. Sorry to confuse you, but for biostats, I think FA is quite sufficient, but make sure you are comfortable doing those calculations and drawing those 2x2 tables. Doing lots of biostats questions will definitely help solidify the concepts.

Q: How much do you get through a day and how do you retain that information? One of my problems is that I get through maybe 30 pages of Kaplan Biochem notes a day, and at the end of the day, while I retain the information, I find that I really didnt learn that much. Furthermore more, I tend to forget things as I go. When I do questions later on on the same subject, I forgot much of what I learned maybe 2 weeks ago.
A: Don't worry too much about having to retain everything in Kaplan notes, it's impossible and often unnecessary to try to remember some of the details. I think the primary purpose of reading Kaplan notes is to help you understand FA later on so you can memorize the facts in FA with better ease. What types of questions are you getting wrong, are they questions that require straight fact-recall or ones that require you to apply a concept? If it's the former, I wouldn't worry too much about Kaplan notes and would probably spend more time studying FA instead; for the latter, you do have to make sure you comprehend the info in Kaplan notes before moving on to FA.
Another thing I found helpful was to read the corresponding section in FA after finishing a subject in Kaplan notes. It helps solidify information right away.

Q: How many pages of FA and kaplan notes can you get through in a day?
A: I set goals to get through 100 to 120 pages of Kaplan notes every day, at the speed of 12-15 pages per hour. It depends on the subject too; anatomy and biochem were slower, whereas physiology and pharm were faster because I had done BRS physiology and Pharmacology flash cards already. I could read around 60 - 80 pages of FA in a day toward the end of the preparation, but when I first started, it was painfully slow. I could remember spending an entire day just studying the embryology section, which was only a few pages long but very memory-intensive. But once you start remembering the mnemonics and are familiar with the content, the speed goes up quite quickly.

Question banks:

Q: Did you do questions after each subject during your initial read, or did you skip questions altogether until after you completed your first read?
A: Thanks for raising this point as I probably didn't make it very clear in my post. I started doing questions after reading all of Kaplan notes, BRS path and phys, Goljan notes, and most HY books that I mentioned. The only book that I was still reading after I started doing questions was FA.

Q: When you say you did 10000 questions, do you include the book questions or any other questions?
A: I only counted the questions in USMLE format.
UW (2000) + Kaplan practice tests (2000) + Kaplan Q-bank (2000) + FA Q&A (1000) + USMLERx (did ~2000) + NBME 1-6 (1200) + UW self-assessment 1&2 (400) + Goljan RR Path questions (100) = 10700
I didn't count BRS questions or questions in Kaplan notes because they were not always in board format.

Q: Did you do robbins review of path? Was USMLERX useful?
A: I didn't do Robbins, and I wouldn't recommend it either. USMLERx was okay in terms of helping me memorize some details that I wouldn't have paid attention to in FA, because this Q-bank is basically based on the material in FA.

Q: Would you say that a particular question bank or all the 3 question banks that you did do cover all the usmle questions (=subject matter) that you were asked?
A: I would say UW was the most high-yield of them all. USMLERx and Kaplan Q-bank have been known to test minutiae that are not necessarily high-yield info. These 3 question banks combined definitely covered more than any one of them alone. As I mentioned in my post, only 5% of questions on my exam were things I had never encountered before, so doing tons of questions was certainly helpful for me.

Q: I am dedicating a solid 8 hours everyday to question banks (I time myself), but my scores are not improving. What can I do?
A: I would recommend going over the explanations in more detail, making sure you really understand what the question is asking. Don't skip the explanation for questions you answered correctly; you can learn a lot by reading about why the other choices are wrong. It can take a very long time when you first start doing it this way, but after a while, if you learn from your mistakes, you will not get the same type of question wrong again. When I first started doing questions, it often took me 40 minutes to do 50 questions, but an hour to read the explanations and annotate notes into FA. However, I learned a lot from the explanations in UW, probably just as much as the questions themselves. It's easy to feel frustrated when you first start, but with time, I'm sure your accuracy rate will improve. Good luck.

Q: I am quite frustrated with questions that test minutia details, e.g. "Which of the following can be found in bacterial endospores?" (Answer is dipicolinic acid) I had never seen anything like that and I had to flip through pubmed to get the answer. Are these questions worth remembering?
A: I'm not trying to discourage you here; although dipicolinic acid is probably a trivia type question, it was actually mentioned twice in FA, so I'd actually still remember it. Sometimes the strategy is to eliminate the other answer choices if you couldn't recognize the right answer. For example, if other choices are peptidoglycan and mycolic acid, you know they just can't be right.

Q: What did you annotate into first aid? Only qbank questions? I find some of the Micro Qbank questions extremely tedious and testing pHD like material. How can I tell if its important? Or is it all completely important?
A: I only annotate information that I consider "high-yield". As you do more questions, you'll soon know what types of questions tend to show up over and over again; these are the ones that are high-yield.
Take Micro for example, they often give you a clinical presentation of an infectious disease, then ask you for the most appropriate antibiotics. These require a two-step process (Presentation - Bug - Antibiotics), and are guaranteed to be on exam. If they want to be mean, they can ask you about the side effect of the most common antibiotics used. These questions require a three-step process (Presentation - Bug - Antibiotics - Side effects), and are less common than the type of questions above. Things that aid in the laboratory diagnosis or things that have to do with treatment (for example, HIV gene products and antiviral drugs that target these products) are also extremely high-yield. Ignore the weird trivia type of questions that have no clinical correlation.
I agree that Micro Qbank questions can sometimes be a bit annoying, but that doesn't mean the real exam is like that. I found that FA covers > 90% of the Micro questions on my exam, so make sure you know FA well and don't get too discouraged by the low-yield questions.

Q: About doing usmleworld 2X: did you find that helpful even though you already did the same questions once?
A: I did UW again one month apart. I don't think there's much benefit doing it again right after you finish it first time through, but a month gives you enough time to test if you really understand the materials tested, and not because you memorized the questions and answers. For me, the second time helped me increase my speed as I was more comfortable dealing with long question stems (but that could be an effect of having seen the questions before as well).

Q: When should I do UW again?
A: I would recommend doing UW again as close to the exam date as possible, while still giving yourself enough time to go over FA again and do the rest of the NBME forms. I went through UW the second time 3 weeks before my exam; I did 350 questions every day to simulate the exam length and build up my stamina. When I finished, I still had 2 weeks left to review the material that I mentioned above.

Q: When did you really start feeling comfortable with the material?
A: I probably started feeling comfortable with the material after I finished Kaplan notes and had done 2000+ questions. By that time, I knew my strengths and weaknesses and knew what to focus on in order to get the most out of the review process. For example, after doing some questions, I realized I had a lot of trouble with neuroanatomy, and so did HY neuroanatomy for 2 weeks, which seemed to effectively remedy the problem. Besides, as you do more questions, you soon realize the amount of information that FA actually covers. The questions also help you remember the material in FA more easily.

Q: Any advice on test-taking strategies?
A: One thing I found really useful from doing tons of questions is that on the real exam, I could often read the question stem and predict what type of question they were going to throw at me. I would also recommend coming up with your own answer in your head before you look at the answer choices; reading the other answer choices (distractors) before committing to a response can be confusing, especially when you're not very certain of your answer to start with. Of course, if you really have no idea what the question is getting at, reading the options first while using the process of elimination is often helpful.

If you wish to contact me, the best method is to PM me or leave your questions in the following link. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=597742
Thank you. :)

Last edited:
^thx for the great advice. If time constraints forced you to choose between doing UWorld a second time or doing USMLERx for the first time, which would you choose?

Hey Pollux,

i was wondering what did you use for learning Pathology concepts? Somebody at my school recommended reading the first 9 chapters of Robbins, but I don't know if it is a smart idea since we only have 2 months left till we take Step 1.

Thanks

To Pollux (who really should change his name to MrStep1) or anyone else:

I need help with renal. I'm good with anything clinical, but the RPF versus GRF, FF thing is really proving difficult. I might just end up memorizing the chart in FA and writing it down at the beginning of the test.

How did you guys go about understanding this?

thanks

Question banks:

Q: Did you do robbins review of path?
A: I didn't do Robbins, and I wouldn't recommend it either.

Awesome advice and congrats on the incredible score. I'm wondering why you don't like this book. A lot of people recommend it on here. Thanks!

I need help with renal. I'm good with anything clinical, but the RPF versus GRF, FF thing is really proving difficult. I might just end up memorizing the chart in FA and writing it down at the beginning of the test.

How did you guys go about understanding this?

thanks

what do you need help with? not that i am anything even close to pollux, but we just finished renal. And I felt like i at least understood that

^thx for the great advice. If time constraints forced you to choose between doing UWorld a second time or doing USMLERx for the first time, which would you choose?

Hmm, good question. I'd probably still choose to do UW a second time. I did usmleRx quite early in my preparation; I liked it at the time, but after I started doing UW, I found it paled significantly in comparison with UW. A lot of the questions test straight recall of material in FA, whereas UW questions nearly always require a two-step thinking process, which is something you must be very comfortable with in order to do well the real exam.

Hey Pollux,

i was wondering what did you use for learning Pathology concepts? Somebody at my school recommended reading the first 9 chapters of Robbins, but I don't know if it is a smart idea since we only have 2 months left till we take Step 1.

Thanks

I actually read the entire Robbins in second year of med school. I don't know if I actually retained much information from this book after reading it, so I would definitely NOT recommend using it to study for this exam, especially given the time constraint. Instead, I suggest listening to Goljan audios or reading book (RR pathology). I personally used BRS pathology with Goljan audios and was quite happy with the outline format of BRS. Borrow both books from your friend or the library and see which one you prefer.

thanks

I sent you a PM with some explanations. I hope it was somewhat helpful.

Awesome advice and congrats on the incredible score. I'm wondering why you don't like this book. A lot of people recommend it on here. Thanks!

Don't get me wrong. I'm a budding pathologist; I love this book. I just think it's an inefficient way to prepare for the boards, as the questions in this book tend to focus on factual, recall type of questions. The board-type questions tend to involve multiple steps and require comprehension of key concepts and integration between subjects; UW and other question banks would prepare you better for these purposes.

If you really want to do pure pathology questions, I'd recommend the questions in BRS pathology.

Pollux, thanks for the post.
How many questions (approx.) do you think you got correct in your exam ?
I am going to apppear the step 1 next year. Should I go through Big Robbins ?
Is it possible to score 250 + by completely understanding and memorizing FA ?

Last edited:
I am inspired after reading the posts here and am thankful that those who have gone before us and succeeded, are sharing their experiences. I hope to keep that SDN tradition alive. To everyone taking it this year, work hard, have no regrets, and give it your all!

You're all very welcome, guys! I'm glad that you found my posts helpful. Good luck in your exam preparation, and all the best on the exam! :)

How many questions (approx.) do you think you got correct in your exam ?
I am going to apppear the step 1 next year. Should I go through Big Robbins ?
Is it possible to score 250 + by completely understanding and memorizing FA ?

I think I missed around 10 questions on my exam, but some of the random questions I got wrong might just be experimental questions, so it's really hard to say.
Please don't read Big Robbins. It's not a very efficient way to study for this exam. I'd recommend reading BRS or RR pathology and only look up specific areas in Robbins for more detailed explanation.
I think it's possible to score a 236/99 just by knowing everything in FA, but to get 250+ would be quite difficult. If you want to get 250+ with the most high-yield material, I'd recommend using FA in conjunction with UW.

This topic has been getting a little off track and probably will get worse closer to June when more and more people want some of that Pollux know-how.

Could we start a new thread maybe, starring everyone's favorite Taiwanese Aussie superstar, perhaps? If he's not too busy with the women and the riches and new-found bling, that is.

Could we start a new thread maybe, starring everyone's favorite Taiwanese Aussie superstar, perhaps? If he's not too busy with the women and the riches and new-found bling, that is.

Some jealousy issues there, my friend???????

Nope, just admiration and ill placed wit.
People are raising good questions and topics, problem is that they won't be indexed properly and will be missed by future folk trying to search threads. Big Frank did something similar, as did Taus, makes for interesting and accessible reading.

Nope, just admiration and ill placed wit.
People are raising good questions and topics, problem is that they won't be indexed properly and will be missed by future folk trying to search threads. Big Frank did something similar, as did Taus, makes for interesting and accessible reading.

I have to agree with Redrox on this one.
I started a thread in the Australian forum on SDN a few days ago, so I'd appreciate it if people leave their questions there instead. The current thread is the "official" thread where everybody shares their scores and experiences, so I do not wish to turn it into my personal Q&A session either. I apologize for any inconvenience that I might have caused.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=597742

Thanks, Redrox, for raising this point. I appreciate your suggestion, but I really didn't quite like the sarcasm in your previous post. I don't deal well with sarcasms. :rolleyes:

Heyy I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I just took my exam yesterday. So, it definitely was not as bad as my friends had told me. I was told there is a chance I will know 10 questions per section so they scared me BIG TIME. Plus, my NBME scores were pretty borderline (high fail/low pass range). So anyways, I went in for the exam thinking it was gonna go horribly but I just realized I couldn't study anymore...but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. I knew about half the questions per section and then hopefully guessed well. I was wondering from ppl who have taken it and gotten scores...if I knew about 25-27 questions per section for sure...do I have a good chance of passing? I know it won't be a phenomenal score, but I wanna put this test behind me now. Let me know your thoughts. I have 3 weeks and it's much better to think you fail and then surprisingly pass than the other way around...:eek: Thanks guys for any help!

Heyy I have been reading this forum for awhile now and I just took my exam yesterday. So, it definitely was not as bad as my friends had told me. I was told there is a chance I will know 10 questions per section so they scared me BIG TIME. Plus, my NBME scores were pretty borderline (high fail/low pass range). So anyways, I went in for the exam thinking it was gonna go horribly but I just realized I couldn't study anymore...but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. I knew about half the questions per section and then hopefully guessed well. I was wondering from ppl who have taken it and gotten scores...if I knew about 25-27 questions per section for sure...do I have a good chance of passing? I know it won't be a phenomenal score, but I wanna put this test behind me now. Let me know your thoughts. I have 3 weeks and it's much better to think you fail and then surprisingly pass than the other way around...:eek: Thanks guys for any help!

It will probably be borderline, just like your NBME results. A friend of mine also came out feeling he knew only half of the questions and he failed by 2 points. So it could go either way. So just try and relax, though that's easier said.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH! 10 days to go, and my NBME's have barely improved, but my average is still around 450 (206): 450, 450, 430, 470, 460.

Other than reviewing FA again and again and doing Uworld again and again, any thoughts on how to improve in the last week?!

Also, when is the latest I should take NBME #6 before I sit for the real thing?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH! 10 days to go, and my NBME's have barely improved, but my average is still around 450 (206): 450, 450, 430, 470, 460.

Other than reviewing FA again and again and doing Uworld again and again, any thoughts on how to improve in the last week?!

Have you used any other resources than FA and a Qbank? I haven't studied for the boards yet, but it seems like most people would use more than just that

Hi whats up! MS II here..

I would like to know how do you guys integrate practice questions (USMLE WORLD KAPLAN Q BANK or Q BOOK, etc in your study schedule.?

Do you do random questions that have nothing to do with the material you study OR questions that deal with the material you are studying? I just need some advice on how to integrate that on an 8-12. 1- 5 PM schedule so i can practice as much questions as I can without losing my study rhythm. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

is there a specific day during the week that results get released?

Still waiting on mine, taken on the 16th Jan

Good luck!!!! We're taking it on the same day I think.

Yep, tomorrow I face step 1. One more hoop to jump through. While I don't plan to execute a perfect 10 tripple back flip swann dive without making a splash as I jump through it, I know I will get through it.
Today will be spent going over systems chapters in FA, stocking up on the caffeine and snacks for tomorrow, buying the libations for tomorrow night, and having a nice dinner of my favorite pre-exam chinese food.
Of course there will also be a trip to church for some much needed prayers.

best of luck tomorrow!

Yep, tomorrow I face step 1. One more hoop to jump through. While I don't plan to execute a perfect 10 tripple back flip swann dive without making a splash as I jump through it, I know I will get through it.
Today will be spent going over systems chapters in FA, stocking up on the caffeine and snacks for tomorrow, buying the libations for tomorrow night, and having a nice dinner of my favorite pre-exam chinese food.

best of luck tomorrow!

good luck.

best of luck tomorrow!

Good stuff. I did the systems review yesterday...I gotta do the beginning half of FA today.

I'm running out of steam...I might call it quits soon. Took two caffeine pills but still can't keep awake...I shouldn't have taken two...having hard time breathing now...

Last edited:
Saladin
SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP for crying' out loud. I have no idea what time zone you're in, but it must be late, so get some sleep, and wake up ready to tackle it in the morning!

I'll admit, I've enjoyed taking SDN breaks between FA chapters to share our collective misery, but seriously, you need to get some sleep already!

Saladin
SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP for crying' out loud. I have no idea what time zone you're in, but it must be late, so get some sleep, and wake up ready to tackle it in the morning!

I'll admit, I've enjoyed taking SDN breaks between FA chapters to share our collective misery, but seriously, you need to get some sleep already!

I just took a two and a half hour nap...just woke up...I feel better, but still feel a bit short of breath. Taking two pills of NoDoz was truly stupid of me! I looked up caffeine overdose and I have the symptoms...eek! I hope it's all out of me by morning time!

Alright, just going to finish the pharm section and then maybe call it quits.

I'll make sure to get 9 hours of sleep before the exam, God-Willing.

I'm starting to second guess everything. I'm mixing up facts that I know I know. QED: I need to go to bed.

Good luck tomorrow Saladin, and may it be the Lord's will for us both to do well.

Good night.

What is the best order to approach the NBME exams? I am taking the exam in June 2009.

Mannn, I couldn't get any sleep! So nervous!!! This sucks! I went to bed at 9:30...took me an hour or so to fall asleep...then woke up at 2:30 am....tossing and turning for a few hours...at 4:30 am decided it was a useless endeavor and just spent some time praying...now it's 5:30 am...guess I'll just flip through FA.

It's D-Day!