2009-2010 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

1) Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

2) Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck everyone applying to Creighton, its a great school! Go Jays!:thumbup:

Thanks! Its defiantly a school I would be interested in attending. The director or admissions came to our school and got me excited about applying here....though i suppose thats his job? lol. Or maybe im just easily persuaded:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go here too.. all the M1/M2 classes podcasted? Sign me up

I love that they're a catholic school. Good luck everyone!

Yeah, I don't find living in Nevada too appealing though.

Yeah, I don't find living in Nevada too appealing though.

Lol @ this. Seriously though, Nebraska really isn't a whole lot more exciting than Nevada :)

Omaha is a fairly large city though, and it does have its perks (great music scene, good food, reasonable cost of living). Creighton is a great school with professors that really do take the time to connect with students...the med center isn't in the best shape these days though.

Overall, as an undergrad from Creighton, I would be more than happy to stay there for med school. The environment is comfortable and the people are great! Good luck to all.

Lol @ this. Seriously though, Nebraska really isn't a whole lot more exciting than Nevada :)

Omaha is a fairly large city though, and it does have its perks (great music scene, good food, reasonable cost of living). Creighton is a great school with professors that really do take the time to connect with students...the med center isn't in the best shape these days though.

Overall, as an undergrad from Creighton, I would be more than happy to stay there for med school. The environment is comfortable and the people are great! Good luck to all.

Oops, I thought it was in Nevada. Whatever. Neither Nebraska nor Nevada appeals to me.:laugh:

ROFL. I have to admit - when I saw that the school was located in "NE", I thought it was Nevada as well. Don't worry, Elmo... I know absolutely no geography/state abbreviations either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just called and they said secondaries will be emailed by tomorrow or Thursday.

so creightons increasing enrollment by about 26 students this year due to the new partnership? Maybe i misunderstood it but if so tahts sweet! not to mention rotations near my family would be equally awesome:)

Sweet! The secondaries are going to start pouring in!

Hey everyone! I'm super excited about Creighton! Thanks for calling about the secondaries. I've received one from about half the schools I applied to and my application was just certified on Monday! This is exciting...anybody have any idea what is on this thing?

Hey everyone! I'm super excited about Creighton! Thanks for calling about the secondaries. I've received one from about half the schools I applied to and my application was just certified on Monday! This is exciting...anybody have any idea what is on this thing?
Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.
Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

Im near a 100% sure its going to stay the same (these are last years prompts). I remember someone from creighton came to our school and he said something like the prompts are the same if i remember right...

Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.

Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

Im near a 100% sure its going to stay the same (these are last years prompts). I remember someone from creighton came to our school and he said something like the prompts are the same if i remember right...

Reason - I love beef... and Omaha Steaks are delicious :cool:

Does Creighton screen for secondaries?

Glad I could help! :thumbup: Still no secondary yet... Temple sent out theirs though... man I haven't been to Omaha in ages... practically a good 10 years. Interested to see what it's like if I get the chance!

got it this morning yay i love creighton :). Everything is the same as last years if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Got it too. Any essays?
yah dude, same as last years, i pmed shemarty but here they are

1) Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

2) Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

Just remember its not in nevada.....:laugh:

Gosh..

they want one non-science letter, which I don't have :(

I got mine too. As far as the non-science letter I talked to the school and they said you could just send them a letter explaining what you will be substituting. I am going to call them again now that I have the secondary just to make sure I do it the right way.

So just checking...a committee letter is sufficient? I thought I read requirements from last year that said a committee letter must satisfy all the requirements of letter packets/individual letters (ie the professors must state what class they had you for, committee must include one non-science professor)...but now this says "This letter will fulfill your letters of recommendation requirement".

Thoughts? I don't have a non-science professor letter, so I'm not wasting $95 if my committee letter won't be good enough. Thanks!

So just checking...a committee letter is sufficient? I thought I read requirements from last year that said a committee letter must satisfy all the requirements of letter packets/individual letters (ie the professors must state what class they had you for, committee must include one non-science professor)...but now this says "This letter will fulfill your letters of recommendation requirement".

Thoughts? I don't have a non-science professor letter, so I'm not wasting $95 if my committee letter won't be good enough. Thanks!
committee letter should be fine it is at everyother school, but id just email or ask the school. They are very prompt and nice about returning calls. Its an awesome admissions office, and the director of admissions garland is awesome!

Wow, I love this secondary. So freaking user friendly. I love the lay-out.:thumbup:

My non-sci letter is from a TA who taught the course and was bascially in charge of the course, with no faculty supervision. Do you guys think this is okay?

I got mine too. As far as the non-science letter I talked to the school and they said you could just send them a letter explaining what you will be substituting. I am going to call them again now that I have the secondary just to make sure I do it the right way.
Thanks for the info. Are you referring to their policy that a packet of letters must meet the requirement of 2 science, 1 non-science?

All my letters in my school's packet are from science profs. Since it's not from a committee, can I just substitute a science LOR for that requirement and write it in a letter and snail mail it to their office?

Thanks for the info. Are you referring to their policy that a packet of letters must meet the requirement of 2 science, 1 non-science?

All my letters in my school's packet are from science profs. Since it's not from a committee, can I just substitute a science LOR for that requirement and write it in a letter and snail mail it to their office?

Yeah that is pretty much what they said but I am going to call them again tomorrow because I called them and a couple others early on while I was doing my primaries to see if it was even worth it so I want to confirm again exactly how to handle it. I have to work tomorrow 8-5 so I might try to call during my lunch break...

Anyone else having trouble inputting their payment on the secondary? I keep on getting an error.

I got the secondary too! yay!

I agree the interface is awesome! the best from any school.

That skill question is very odd...extremely open ended. Loved the Omaha steaks comment!!!

Good luck everyone!!!!!!!

So is anyone from around the area. Ive never been to NEBRASKA. I come from Miami, Florida...lol. How is the area? Are the hospitals good? I mean you can read stuff but its better to have first hand experience.

There was another school that had the same interface...I can't remember which one...maybe UIC...I like it too!

I have never been to Nebraska either but one of my best friends is from there and his sister went to med school at Creighton and loved it...thats pretty much all i know...

Now it is working...

Just submitted. This was the most user-friendly and aesthetically pleasing online application I ever used.:thumbup:

Anybody having issues with it saying your character limit is over? I did a word count (that had a character count including spaces) in word before i copy pasted and it was less than 2000 but now it is saying like 2979...? any suggestions?

Anybody having issues with it saying your character limit is over? I did a word count (that had a character count including spaces) in word before i copy pasted and it was less than 2000 but now it is saying like 2979...? any suggestions?

They suggest copying it from Word to Notepad, then Notepad to the app. Try that.

FYI, letter packets from your school filled with nothing but science LORs are fine according to their staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.