2009-2010 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)

Have you graduated from an undergraduate university? If yes, what have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words Max.)

What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.)

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

LOR Reqs

You should submit a composite evaluation prepared by the faculty committee of your undergraduate institution. If your school does not provide such a composite, then submit three individual, separate letters of evaluation, two of which should be from professors of science under whom you have studied and the third from a professor of your choice.

If you are taking, or have taken, graduate or post-baccalaureate courses, or have graduated from your undergraduate institution more than three years ago, you may submit, in lieu of undergraduate appraisals, three letters of evaluation from science professors who have supervised your graduate or post-baccalaureate work.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow Tulane Applicants!

So I did some research on secondaries this morning and here is what I found:

Tulane's secondary is available via email. There is no screen for applicants. More info can be found here. Just for reference, last year someone posted the secondary prompts on July 17th. Post whenever you hear anything. :)

Best of luck this year. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, well maybe if you weren't applying to every private med school in the country, you wouldn't run into Ksmi on so many of the application trails.

Good luck everyone!

Haha, well maybe if you weren't applying to every private med school in the country, you wouldn't run into Ksmi on so many of the application trails.

Good luck everyone!

Just looking to maximize my chances.:thumbup:

where'd the prompt go!

Too bad tulane takes no fap waiver or id have applied there :(

Hey fellow Tulane Applicants!

So I did some research on secondaries this morning and here is what I found:

Tulane's secondary is available via email. There is no screen for applicants. More info can be found here. Just for reference, last year someone posted the secondary prompts on July 17th. Post whenever you hear anything. :)

Best of luck this year. :luck:

Do you know if I can find any this year's secondaries online for schools that send secondaries for everyone? Also, do you think if this year's secondaries be similar to last year's. If they are somewhat similar I can get started on them. Thanks!

Do you know if I can find any this year's secondaries online for schools that send secondaries for everyone? Also, do you think if this year's secondaries be similar to last year's. If they are somewhat similar I can get started on them. Thanks!

They stay similar from year to year. You can check out the 07 and 08 2ndary prompts and 95% of the time they are the exact same thing. When they change they are often variations or the same question or the change the cahracter limit. Basically if you start now your work wont go to waste and chances are itll be the exact same prompt.

I'm really excited about Tulane. My brother did his undergrad and masters here and I think I'd be cool if I got to go here for med school. :xf:

Tulane is one of my top choices. Great school with awesome community health focus.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
For Tulane, does it help if you have a lot of significant ties to the state (majority of family in L.A.), yet are not a state resident?

For Tulane, does it help if you have a lot of significant ties to the state (majority of family in L.A.), yet are not a state resident?

I could be wrong here, but considering they are a private school and dont give preference to even state residents, i doubt it matters all that much. Maybe someone from the area can chime in though.

Tulane isn't a state school and accepts mostly OOS applicants. I mean I don't think it can hurt you, but I don't think it'll be much help either.

I hope they send out secondaries soon.

I have a question! I was trying to work on the secondary for tulane using last years questions and I was wondering..

since there was a question last year about leadership expreince, if you already mentioned it on AMCAS can you use the same descirptions or does it need to change?

also, the question about most significant volunteering epxereince do they mean one single event or a volunteering opportunity that was enriching as a whole..
since there is no limit of the volunteering question, how long are you making your answer, one paragraph or two? I have one so far but not sure how much is too much and I talked about a specific instance..do you think this would be ok?

any thoughts??

Last edited:
I have a question! I was trying to work on the secondary for tulane using last years questions and I was wondering..

since there was a question last year about leadership expreince, if you already mentioned it on AMCAS can you use the same descirptions or does it need to change?

also, the question about most significant volunteering epxereince do they mean one single event or a volunteering opportunity that was enriching as a whole..
since there is no limit of the volunteering question, how long are you making your answer, one paragraph or two? I have one so far but not sure how much is too much and I talked about a specific instance..do you think this would be ok?

any thoughts??

For the leadership, it just says to list them, not explain them. For volunteering, I say just pick something you can define as one experience, be it a one time thing, or a long term thing at one place. Not sure how long mine will be, I haven't started on it yet.

Does anyone have the link to their online admissions handbook pdf? I looked through it a while back and I can't find it now for the life of me. Maybe a different set of eyes can help. Thanks.

For the volunteer experience question, do you guys think we have to say again what we specifically did? Or could we just focus more on the "why it was significant" part since it has already been explained on my amcas EC section.

Wait secondary for Tulane isn't out yet, right?

Wait secondary for Tulane isn't out yet, right?

No it's not, i don't think it will be out till mid July, but I was just wondering incase the same questions from last year are used....

Tulane party etc

Tulane applicant here! I'm also enrolled in one of their post-bacc programs for the 09-10 year. I really hope it goes well because I love Tulane and don't want to leave New Orleans just yet :)

I'm from the area and work at Tulane SOM...so if you guys have any questions about Tulane or New Orleans feel free to ask!

Good luck to all of you!

anyone else doing early decision?

applying ED is like drinking bleach

pointless

applying ED is like drinking bleach

pointless
1) I tend to agree that ED is ******ed :D

2) Drinking bleach isn't pointless. There's a very dark and disturbing point to it. Woooooo...scary!

I'm still waitlisted for this coming August, and I was encouraged to apply early decision, so I disagree that it's pointless. Applying to one school is much less of a hassle than applying to ten. I loved Tulane so hopefully I'll be starting there this august or next.

I'm still waitlisted for this coming August, and I was encouraged to apply early decision, so I disagree that it's pointless. Applying to one school is much less of a hassle than applying to ten. I loved Tulane so hopefully I'll be starting there this august or next.

If you get rejected ED from one school, it handicaps you because you are so late at other places. That seems risky and pointless to me.

It's putting all your eggs in one basket. Some people prefer to do that and some people don't, it's a personal decision.

If you're on the fence about it then I wouldn't do it, but for all your life you have wanted to go to that school, why not?

I would have applied Early decision to one of my schools. I am very competitive there, its in my home town, the doctor who I shadow and have an LOR from teaches there, I have visited twice, sitting in on class once, etc. etc. etc. There are certainly circumstances where ED makes sense. And if THEY are saying to do it, you better bet I would.

I agree ED is extremely risky, but it does make sense for some people (strong candidates, applicants with connections, etc.) I had heard early decision worked well for wait-listed candidates, but was still completely on the fence over doing so. It wasn't until I was told that I qualify and may not need to re-interview that I made up my mind. Even after hearing that, I am still a bit nervous, but hopefully they are not playing mind-games with me. Good luck to everyone, and hopefully we get our secondaries soon!

Just called them and they said secondaries will be sent out 2-3 weeks from today 6-30-08. So sometime in mid July.

Recyclingbinh, you are on a roll getting information from schools.

Ah! I can't wait to get this secondary.

Anyone else love waking up to the sight of a new secondary in your inbox? I know I do. Time to knock this sucker out! Good Luck everyone!

Anyone else love waking up to the sight of a new secondary in your inbox? I know I do. Time to knock this sucker out! Good Luck everyone!
Don't have it. Wish I did. They don't screen do they?

I don't have it.

can you post Qs?

Status
Not open for further replies.