2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so if schools don't receive the primaries until july, they won't be sending secondaries until july?

Members don't see this ad.

so if schools don't receive the primaries until july, they won't be sending secondaries until july?

Correct. usually early July or really late June is when secondaries start to come out. But if you've submitted AMCAS you can start working on your essays because secondaries don't really change from year to year and the few that I've seen have changes were very minor i.e. a different way of wording the same question.

So I'd consider getting started on secondary essays but looking at the secondary threads in the school specific discussion -- page 1 of each thread for each school you want to apply to. They have the prompts for mini and bigger essays on there.

dunno if I can ask a PS question on here, but for new paragraphs, do we need to return and start with a brand new line? If so does the whole line count as characters?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a question regarding the coursework section:

On my transcript, I have HIST 1999C and HIST 1999D, each 3 credits that were fulfilled with one AP exam (AP European history). I have a similar situation with English that was covered with only one exam (AP English literature), but the course numbers are different (EngC 1011 and EngL 1999). So, do I enter the courses separately, but for the course name, use the AP exam I took?

So I have a question regarding the coursework section:

On my transcript, I have HIST 1999C and HIST 1999D, each 3 credits that were fulfilled with one AP exam (AP European history). I have a similar situation with English that was covered with only one exam (AP English literature), but the course numbers are different (EngC 1011 and EngL 1999). So, do I enter the courses separately, but for the course name, use the AP exam I took?

I would enter the AP course because you didn't actually take the courses at your university.

I showed my school list to my pre-med advisor. I basically was all over the country. She said to pick and choose carefully as med school know where you are applying and they may question your judgement & motivation.
I, being an SDN kid, fought w/ her that med schools can't know that. But she sounded very sure and said "They know--once the app is out they know everything" ...
Where I am applying is really my personal business and no one except AMCAS and I should know about it. So just to be sure, school do not & cannot know where you are applying??

do you guys know when amcas will list our cumulative gpa..i have it calculated..but i know at some point they give u a calculation for it..

PS..is stil killing me...i guess atleast i have everything else taken care of..PS and then a final revision and im good to go... mcat scores come out a week from today a bit nerve racking but im excited =)

do you guys know when amcas will list our cumulative gpa..i have it calculated..but i know at some point they give u a calculation for it..

PS..is stil killing me...i guess atleast i have everything else taken care of..PS and then a final revision and im good to go... mcat scores come out a week from today a bit nerve racking but im excited =)

You will find out once once AMCAS matches all your entered courses w/ the transcripts submitted).

someone pls tell me where the hell is the transcript request form?!?!?!? *frustrated* :scared: I've been through the course work tab and the biographic info tab AND checked out the help pg where it says
"To print a Transcript Request form, click the Print Transcript Request Form button at the bottom of the AMCAS Transcript Request page. " but I can't find this in the AMCAS application -_- sigh

If I have AP course credit that was overwritten when I took the actual class at my college, do I have to list the AP course on AMCAS at all? (I took a year of AP Physics in high school and took a year of physics at college).

And for courses that I still have AP credit in, what section do I enter those courses in? My home institution where they were applied, or do I create a separate section for my high school?

Thanks for your help!

hey!! the transcript print page is in main menu....let me know if ur are still having dfficulty i can try to take a screen shot of it and send it to you..but the main menu tab is blue and on upper right. hope this helps!!

If I have AP course credit that was overwritten when I took the actual class at my college, do I have to list the AP course on AMCAS at all? (I took a year of AP Physics in high school and took a year of physics at college).

And for courses that I still have AP credit in, what section do I enter those courses in? My home institution where they were applied, or do I create a separate section for my high school?

Thanks for your help!

My friend told me to classify AP classes that we retake as Exempt.

And you classify it under your undergrad institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
I showed my school list to my pre-med advisor. I basically was all over the country. She said to pick and choose carefully as med school know where you are applying and they may question your judgement & motivation.
I, being an SDN kid, fought w/ her that med schools can't know that. But she sounded very sure and said "They know--once the app is out they know everything" ...
Where I am applying is really my personal business and no one except AMCAS and I should know about it. So just to be sure, school do not & cannot know where you are applying??

apply broadly. they won't know where you applied until like march or may or something. it has been confirmed by LizzyM and other adcoms.

To add to that, I was asked at almost all my interviews where else I applied. If they knew, why ask? At that point, I just tell them schools in philly, new york, etc

Okay, the LOR's page on the AMCAS is really confusing me.

I applied last year, and I'm pretty sure I sent all LOR's in with my secondaries. Now the AMCAS wants my LORs?!?

What the crap, I just told all my profs I will need the letters by late June. :confused:

late june is fine you don't have to send letters with your primary dawg. just upload it to amcas, or have the committee upload it to amcas by your secondaries.

hey!! the transcript print page is in main menu....let me know if ur are still having dfficulty i can try to take a screen shot of it and send it to you..but the main menu tab is blue and on upper right. hope this helps!!

thank you Simran :luck:

I need some advice on what to put as my address.

I currently live in Boston but I'm planning to move into a new apartment in September as I am renting -- don't know where yet! My parents live in Philadelphia. Should I put my permanent address as Philly and my preferred as Boston, and then change my preferred address as I move? I am worried that I will lose important mail (like secondaries, which are sent around Aug/Sept) this way.

Should I get a PO Box? Should I leave my preferred address same as my permanent address, which won't change?

Thanks =)

i would use my parents addy (extra safe) but thats just me.

Will it be alright if I had sent transcripts to AMCAS without the official transcript request form? I forgot to do that since transcripts request at my institution is online only. It just slipped my mind. I figured they could just match my SSN to my app. I'm going to call them tomorrow but would like a quick answer to settle my paranoia.

Quick questions:

1. My pre-professional office refuses to forward letters of recommendation that they have on file until they receive secondaries. They've also stated that they aren't going to start writing their committee letter until after I receive secondaries and that it could take four to six weeks for them to write the damn thing. I plan on submitting my application as soon as I get my MCAT scores (around June 28th), so how long will it take for me to get my secondaries? I'm applying to a few schools that screen primary applications -- how much longer will that add to the process?

2. How long does it take AMCAS to process a transcript? Mine was sent from Boston University on the 19th, so it's probably too early. I just don't want to refresh the page over and over again.

Thank you!

anyone else with a mac having trouble logging in? i had no issues on my PC at work earlier today. harrumph.
I have been having trouble on my mac too. I have tried downloading the Firefox 3.0 version, reinstalling the new version, and restarting my laptop. Still no luck getting to the login page. It's really getting frustrating.

So I took 2 years of calculus in high school that were AP/IB classes that also counted as college courses over at a neighboring university...should i check the AP/IB boxes for those courses listed under that university?

Also, the AP/IB classes that transferred over from high school are listed under my university now, with units but no grades. Do I still need to include those in the coursework section and/or transcripts from high school?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! GL to the rest

Quick, but strange question:

My brother was just born 4 months ago. I'm filling out the siblings' ages and ages can only be input in years from what I'm gathering. I'm paranoid writing 0 years old, thinking AdComs would think it as some type of careless typo...

Any thoughts?

My brother was just born 4 months ago. I'm filling out the siblings' ages and ages can only be input in years from what I'm gathering. I'm paranoid writing 0 years old, thinking AdComs would think it as some type of careless typo...

Any thoughts?

You cant put 4 months old? They don't have such an option??? I'm not sure its all that important to even list all your siblings.

So I took 2 years of calculus in high school that were AP/IB classes that also counted as college courses over at a neighboring university...should i check the AP/IB boxes for those courses listed under that university?

Also, the AP/IB classes that transferred over from high school are listed under my university now, with units but no grades. Do I still need to include those in the coursework section and/or transcripts from high school?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! GL to the rest

Yes include them but check the AP/IB box if there is one. I think they'll realize that there is no grade listed just credit when they see your transcript.

Quick questions:

1. My pre-professional office refuses to forward letters of recommendation that they have on file until they receive secondaries. They've also stated that they aren't going to start writing their committee letter until after I receive secondaries and that it could take four to six weeks for them to write the damn thing. I plan on submitting my application as soon as I get my MCAT scores (around June 28th), so how long will it take for me to get my secondaries? I'm applying to a few schools that screen primary applications -- how much longer will that add to the process?

2. How long does it take AMCAS to process a transcript? Mine was sent from Boston University on the 19th, so it's probably too early. I just don't want to refresh the page over and over again.

Thank you!

This advice may be too late to help you, but you would have been better off first having letter writers send letters to an Interfolio account, then forwarding them to your pre-med committee.

These committees that hold letters hostage are ridiculous. I am dealing with a similar situation, not nearly as severe as yours, and I am on the verge of totally punting the committee letter, but I had all of my writers first send letters to Interfolio, so I am in control of those letters, not any committee.

Transcripts won't be processed until after AMCAS submission date. The processing involves a reader comparing your physical transcripts to what you provide in AMCAS, and that won't start until next week...

Last edited:
So I already sent my transcript to AMCAS and they have received it. I am taking a summer course and will know my grade before I submit my primary. Can I enter that grade even if it isn't on my transcript?

Any thoughts?

just write 1 year old. does it really matter??? why do they even ask this question? i guess so long as you're not the duggars adcomms probably don't care.

What category should i put for a paid(work-study) job at a lab?

my position was called lab assistant but i didn't necessarily do research.
I just performed lab techniques such as PCR and gel electrophoresis as well as maintained the lab( restock materials/solutions/autoclave tips).

What category should i put for a paid(work-study) job at a lab?

my position was called lab assistant but i didn't necessarily do research.
I just performed lab techniques such as PCR and gel electrophoresis as well as maintained the lab( restock materials/solutions/autoclave tips).

I went with paid employment, non-military.:thumbup:

so I have an unusual LOR problem:

I have 10 LORs from professors, science and non-science - all very strong
I have 2 LORs from research PIs - both extremely strong
I have 2 LORs from doctors I have shadowed - probably strong

Obviously I can't send them all. I think 6 is the maximum I can send but I'm not exactly sure what combination I should send. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I send LORs from doctors I have shadowed? Should I do 2 from each, etc.?

THANKS!!

Obviously I can't send them all. I think 6 is the maximum I can send but I'm not exactly sure what combination I should send. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I send LORs from doctors I have shadowed? Should I do 2 from each, etc.?

THANKS!!

holy ****. How brown is your nose?

i dont know if this has been asked before but i just to be sure, for repeated grades do we indicate "repeated" for the second attempt or both times we took the course?

THANKS!!
I was going to say dump 5 of the professor LORs but that'd still leave you with 9. I'd dump one of the shadowing LORs too. That's 8. You can leave it at that or dump two more professor LORs. Not all 10 of those professors said something vastly different about you and it won't hurt to remove them.

holy ****. How brown is your nose?

being sociable doesn't mean you are a brown noser. i'm very good at forming good relationships with people...students and professors...

thanks koko_eats for the advice!! :) so do you think that a shadowing letter is vital? i didn't think it was necessary until someone mentioned it on a previous thread. now it's got me worried

When adding letters of recommendation, what exactly do they mean by the question, "Is this letter from a school?" Do I say yes if it's from a professor? Or is it only for committee letters?

being sociable doesn't mean you are a brown noser. i'm very good at forming good relationships with people...students and professors...

thanks koko_eats for the advice!! :) so do you think that a shadowing letter is vital? i didn't think it was necessary until someone mentioned it on a previous thread. now it's got me worried
While I'm not a fan of shadowing and don't see the intrinsic value in it, having all of your letters come from the classroom/research makes it more vital that your PS or ECs demonstrate clear clinical interest. In my case, adcoms commented that my previous app looked more like a PhD application than a med school app since I had classroom/lab experience and my PS was focused on the teaching aspect of medicine.

As long as the rest of your app emphasizes the right things, I think you can do without both shadowing recs, but when in doubt, just leave one in the pile.

so is there any way to indent a new paragraph on the PS? or will it always show no indentation?

Sorry if a question of this nature has been asked before, but...under my course work I have listed a medical internship and selected problems in anthropology. In the former I spent the semester shadowing physicians and in the latter I spent 3 weeks studying abroad in Central America. I think these were both very important experiences and would like to elaborate on them, can I do so in the work/activities section or is this not allowed since they are classified as course work, I got a grade, etc.?

So, Myuu and I are making headway on a FAQ for this thread. I'll be adding the questions and answers in installments, so make sure you check it out before you post new questions. :)

I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered -- didn't see too much through Search, lots to sift through.

1) I chose to receive a pass/fail for an English class that I tested out of by way of SAT II. When I select "AP Credit", it no longer allows me to select "pass/fail". What should I put for my grade -- is "CR" sufficient (it's what my transcript shows)? Or will it look like it's supposed to be a C?

2) I didn't want to jump between fresh/soph/jr/sr in the middle of a semester. Should I?

3) I took a Social Statistics class (statistics for sociology) -- does this count as a math or a sociology?

4) I want to sign up for a class in the Fall, but I'm not ready to decide what class yet. How should I list this?

Thanks, y'all! :D

I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered -- didn't see too much through Search, lots to sift through.

1) I chose to receive a pass/fail for an English class that I tested out of by way of SAT II. When I select "AP Credit", it no longer allows me to select "pass/fail". What should I put for my grade -- is "CR" sufficient (it's what my transcript shows)? Or will it look like it's supposed to be a C?

2) I didn't want to jump between fresh/soph/jr/sr in the middle of a semester. Should I?

3) I took a Social Statistics class (statistics for sociology) -- does this count as a math or a sociology?

4) I want to sign up for a class in the Fall, but I'm not ready to decide what class yet. How should I list this?

Thanks, y'all! :D

1. Put the grade as whatever it says on the transcript

2. Put whatever you feel is right, AMCAS will probably change it anyway.

3. If you want it to be BCPM, classify it as Math. Again, AMCAS will change it if they don't like it.

4. You don't have to put any planned classes if you don't want to. Also, if you put something, you aren't married to it. You can change it as you see fit.

Also, merging with the AMCAS Questions thread.

So, Myuu and I are making headway on a FAQ for this thread. I'll be adding the questions and answers in installments, so make sure you check it out before you post new questions. :)

Thank you. I'm glad someone else is doing this cuz I'd get too lazy. hahaha

THANKS!!

If you need 6, I would do 2 science, 1 non-science, both research, and either one MD letter or another science letter (depending on which one you think is better).

THANKS!!

My rule of thumb: 2 science letters, 1 non science letter if possible otherwise replace with a 3rd science letter. 2 character letters. In your case: 1 PI 1 doctor would be ideal if the doctor's letter is strong. Remember these are supposed to be confidential. wave your rights to see them and dont share with them that you've seen them if they've shown it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.