30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Preface: My first diag score was a 19. If you work hard enough and really want it, you can get what you want. It's a beast, but working the RIGHT way pays off.

PS=12 VR=11 WS=R BS=13 Composite=36R

First of all, I took Biochem the semester before my test (which was June 18), so I had a solid base to work off of in terms of understanding Gchem and Bio. Keep that in mind as you read. If you have a chance to take Biochem, I highly recommend it.

PS: Started this probably Feb/March about an hour a day. About 5 weeks before the test, I had gone through all material and had a good grasp on it. I started doing tons of Passages/Freestanding questions in that last bit.

Also, they give you 10 minutes before the PS section, I wrote down EVERY physics equation and GChem rule I could in that time. Very helpful.

BS: Took the bulk of my studying for the first 3-4 of my 5 intense weeks. Bio is all about cramming stuff in your head, so there's no reason to not just cram it in as close to the test as possible (and retain it, of course). Did a lot of freestanding and did Practice passages on an as-needed basis (based on my practice tests). I have a pretty good memory so this section wasn't too bad for me. OChem sucks, but that's just because it's not intersting. Sorry, you've got to pound that crap in your head too (haha).

VR: I hated verbal so so so much. TPR's method is stupid, it takes way too much time. EK's method is stupid, no one can reasonably follow that unless they were good at verbal in the first place.

I did 3-4 passages a day for about 4 weeks. Then for about 4 weeks I did a full length (60 min) every other day. All the stuff about timing yourself is BS unless you're taking a full length. You can finish the first two passages within 10 minutes but still not have enough time at the end. It's all about endurance, baby. So basically, buy the EK book, take as many of their sections as you can, look over what you missed, try not to make the mistake again, and hopefully it will work out. VR is such a crapshoot, I still hate it and think it's unfair.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

TPR Classes: Went to Physics, GChem, and Verbal. Skipped Bio and OChem, thought they were both BS (they basically regurgitate material all frickin class).

EK Verbal 101: Highly recommend this bad boy. It's definitely harder than the real thing, but it works your brain the right way.

TPR tests were very good for practice... but they're just PRACTICE. If you do bad, then don't sweat it. I averaged about a 30 on those bastards.

AAMC was a much better indicator. I did all of the tests except 3 (which is easy as hell apparently). I averaged about a 34 on those, and AAMC 10 is a good indicator of how you'll do.

I did all of my practice tests the last 2 weeks/week and a half. One every day just about. They tell you not to do it, whatever. If you can handle it, go for it. It gets you in a rhythm and come test day, you become a robot. Definitely don't take one the day before though, that's overkill.

Health Policy and Management with a Chem minor. Major didn't help anything except writing.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?

Don't listen to all the people who say "read periodicals!" or "Practice your writing like this!" It's all BS. You're bad at verbal? PRACTICE VERBAL SECTIONS. Bad at writing? DO A WRITING SECTION!

If you're stressed... study. Everybody stresses, don't feel special or isolated. If you're stressed, do some physics. Do some GChem, something relatively mindless that doesn't require too much thinking!

I probably studied about 5 hours a week until 5 weeks before. Then I studied about 10 hours a day on my own... That 3 month thing that is pinned on the forum is pretty overkill. Month and a half - 2 months intense studying was fine for me.

Good luck guys, PM me if you have questions. Hopefully my ranting was at least semi-helpful.

I took June 18 MCAT. I did 85%+ of my studying after classes ended on May 12. (So ~5 weeks).

Study Materials:

- No Prep Classes
1) ExamKrackers Complete Set - THIS WAS AWESOME. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Do all the problems as you go through the lecture. Then at the end of the week, do the 30-minute mini-exams at the end. Their FLs are not the best, though. (1.5 weeks)

Some of the EK questions will trip you up, making you lose some confidence. THAT's FINE. The more thou sweatest in training, the less thou bleedest in combat.

2) Kaplan Premier (1 thick book)...reviewed everything and did practice tests. (4 days, 1 on each science subject)

3) Now, take 2 AAMC tests (6,7) & a couple of Kaplans and/or TPR (4 days).

4) Repeat Kaplan Premier reading (2 days, 1 for PS & 1 for BS subjects), and another 4 day EK reading.

5) Take AAMC tests 8, 10, 9 [no break days in between]... 1-2 day break. EXAM DAY!

PS=11 VR=13 WS=O BS=14 Composite=38O

Biotechnology.

PRACTICE. So why are you still doing content review? WHY?! PRACTICE! lol

If you do not understand a science passage fully, who cares? Read over it once, keep main ideas in mind. Remember, Science 101 classes are enough material to prepare you for this exam. Humanities majors do surprisingly well on the MCATs. Why? They don't overthink things--they can't. They don't have upper-level bio background.

Also, learn to manipulate exponents, logs, etc. in your head. Memorize the sin and cos functions of the 4 basic angles (even though they will give them to you).

As mentioned above, for about 4.5 weeks. If you have time before that, do content review! Bio review can be done weeks in advance. Know the negative feedback of hormones, etc. (EK books are good at this). Chem can be done fairly early on.

Physics & Orgo are pure last-minute memorization.

As for Verbal, I don't have any tips. This doesn't mean you cannot prepare for it, of course you can. Look to other people for help in this regard (and for other things too).

Good luck guys, PM me if you have questions.

edit: By order of the queen (gf) I must confess the following (completely true btw): She suggested I buy the EK books [I had never heard of them before]. She also kept me fed while I conducted marathon study sessions.

Last edited:
OK honestly theres enough threads in here alrdy... but I'll write this to give hope to those without much time to study

PS-10 VR-11 BS-10

BS- Bio: Went through kaplan for most sections, did EK1001 bio for the genetics and microbio sections b/c i heard they would be tested heavily (and believe me...they were). Didn't really study orgo at all, I was always decent at it and to be honest MCAT requires more general knowledge than specific reaction memorization.

PS- Chem: Skipped around alot in the kaplan book, when I saw questions on test that I didn't know, I tried to figure out how to solve them. Physics: Went through each chapter of nova's and did some online kaplan quizzes.. novas is amazing

VR- Didn't study, just what I got wrong from the full lengths I would go over.. but I was always good at verbal naturally.

Kaplan, EK1001bio, Nova physics

Kaplan and AAMC

Bio

Bring snack food to the exam for between sections... trust your gut... don't take it if you don't feel ready.

4 weeks...3-4 hours a day

Members don't see this ad :)
37R

PS 14
VR 12
BS 11

PS - I recommend TBR and work all their passages.
VR - No advice. Got the same score as diagnostic.
BS - Use TPR Hyperlearning Science Workbook.

AAMC Average: 37

I took all of the AAMC. I felt the PS and VR sections were similar to the practice exams, but I felt BS was rather different.

General Advice:
Take all your prerequisites before taking the test. Otherwise, you might be out of luck on test day spending time on something that should be simple.

The key to this test is practice. Content review only goes so far. Post game analysis only works to a certain degree. Just keep practicing. When you get sick of the MCAT, take a break, and get back to practicing.

Last edited:

PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

(wow, I copy-pasted this from the first page, and this is actually the score I got today)

Looked over EK books, read wikipedia articles on things I'd forgotten. I also picked up an endocrinology book, since that's one of my largest biological weaknesses. I read through a few chapters, then drew charts.

EK review books, a few text books I have laying around

None.

Biochemistry, Biotechnology, math minor

My study methods probably aren't very relevant?

Seriously though, if you know how you learn, do things your own way and forget about what anyone on SDN says. Relate the material to things that you already know, and try to question your own understanding of the material. Think about how you would explain the concept to someone with two years less experience than yourself, and you'll be headed in the right direction.

It's also extremely important to be able to determine the point of the question. Most of the concepts are pretty simple, but the MCAT asks about them in convoluted ways. Try to pick out the important stuff from the rest of the crap. Become an expert in this, and you'll rock the test.

4 days, 12 hours / day.

Notes:

I took the MCAT on paper ~3 years ago and received a 37O. I studied for about 6 weeks that time around, roughly five hours a day. Since then, I've completed close to three years of grad school and taught organic chemistry for two semesters. I've worked 80 hrs/wk with the related concepts, and end up reading piles of scientific papers. This time, I just picked up the EK complete review series, went through them in a weekend, and looked up things that I was rusty on in wikipedia. Most concepts were pretty familiar since I had taken the test earlier and work with the material quite regularly. The concepts I was rusty on were mechanics and developmental biology, but the mechanics was mostly just memorizing equations I hadn't looked at for a while, and the biology was just reviewing the sequence of events of a few things I'd forgotten.

Edit: I'd like to add that I think one of the main reasons for my success is that I had taken the test before and I knew I could defeat it. I had taken the test when it was on paper and took significantly longer to get through, and have since been around relevant science for several years.

Last edited:
PS=11 VR=11 WS=R BS=10 Composite=32R

PS-mainly studying tons of equations because physics was my weakest point. I read through all my Kaplan materials and did many physics problems.

VR-honestly, I didn't do enough here. I just took a few practice passages/verbal tests.

Bio-Kaplan and taking lots of biology courses. (though mine got specific this year and I was taking mainly neuro, which doesn't really help much here.)

I took Kaplan courses and studied independently using Kaplan books, my textbooks, etc.
I took all the Kaplan FLs and every AAMC (they are included in the Kaplan course package).

I took every Kaplan FL and every AAMC.

Double degree in Neurobiology&Physiology and Psychology

Don't rely on Kaplan. They're good for the study materials they give you but the class is pointless. Also, give yourself about 3 months to study but don't do 6 months--you'll spread it out too much and forget things. 3 months is basically the perfect time to not cram but be truly focused and working hard every day.
Also, DON'T WORK IN THE MONTH BEFORE THE TEST. I was working 40+ hours a week and commuting an hour to and from work right before the test. Bad idea.
Also, I'm so glad I took every AAMC. My score is right around my AAMC average (31 was my AAMC average) so they are really useful and indicative.

My course began in early February and ended in late March. Then I studied solo until June 18. But I was already skimming my Kaplan books and making up mnemonics during winter break...so I guess I could say I began in December.

Previous Year, 10/10/10P, 9/11/10R

This year, 11,11,12R (34R)

BS- Bio: I read through the entire Kaplan book review (2 days). Anything I didn't remember or know, I flagged. These pages I would read EVERY DAY until testing. Same with Qs I didn't get.

PS- Chem: I read through the entire Kaplan book review (2 days). Anything I didn't remember or know, I flagged. These pages I would read EVERY DAY until testing. Same with Qs I didn't get.

VR- Did many, many practice tests. Read a lot of articles. Mapped SciAm, Archaeology, etc., articles as recommended by Kaplan

Kaplan, ExamKrackers 1001/101 books

AAMC 3 (just one, everything else I got from the books I already had)

Bioinformatics

Don't bring a bar of candy. You'll be obligated to finish it. Grab a bag of cereal and munch on a bit to satiate yourself. Water only. If you can, find a window and look outside, and imagine yourself doing other things. If possible, retake at a different place. You might stress out more at the same one. I retook in the middle of nowhere. 6 total students, and I felt great.

Take it in the PM if you can, as well. A full day of looking forward is much better than slogging out of bed for an 8AM test. Leave early, arrive early. If you're REALLY early (hour or so) go cruise around and look at things that keep your mind OFF THE TEST.

I'm one of the few living examples that show that it IS possible to break your score stigma. Hard work and concentration, especially in an uphill gradient, will motivate you more than knowing you need to beat your old score. 2 30s on my belt, even my advisor advised that I wouldn't likely improve. Whatever motivates you, do it. I personally gave up on several wants (don't give up on things you need, that's being absurd) UNTIL my scores returned so I would feel like I EARNED it rather than I bought it because I COULD.

8 weeks, 8-some hours a day for 4 weeks when I graduated, otherwise as much as I could get in.

PS=11 VR=11 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=33O

PS - First Read NOVA, then BR, then Princeton Review for anything I was still rusty on. Did all the passages in BR and NOVA, didnt finish the behemoth science workbook for princeton.

VR - I have NO IDEA what happened here, check out the excel spreadsheet to see why I'm saying this. I did most of the EK verbal book, but I got fed up when they got ridiculous, i think #12 drove me nuts.

BS - EK, BR, and some Princeton Review. EK is definitely the best for this. BR was ok, it went into too much detail at some points.

EK review books, BR books, Princeton Review books

AAMC, GoldStandard, BR, Kaplan

Biology/Chem minor

I can not stress enough about the importance of practice tests. I did a total of 20 practice tests, and on the real deal, it felt just like another. Although harder, I did not freak out, which I feel you might be inclined to if you didnt practice alot.

Well I started in January, I took about a month of during april and may to study for finals ONLY. Then began once again after classes ended

My spreadsheet below outlines how I started my content review. I first read the NOVA Physics book, it doesnt show it there but I read it over winter break. I broke up all the BR books into their separate days, along with the passages. Once I read all those, I did my first practice test. You can see there is a gap in the middle of the schedule due to finals and what not. I calculated my avg's of the EK verbal book (incomplete because i got fed up), and of all my exams. I did not do the Goldstandard verbal sections since I heard they were a joke, and I failed to do one kaplan verbal section as well.

I hope this helps out someone! I just wanted to give back to the forums, because honestly without the help from you guys, I probably wouldnt be writing this today.

Attachments

• examsched.xlsx
    21 KB · Views: 842
This thread IS getting long. Maybe it would be helpful to create thread with tips for specific subsections? then people with highly unbalanced scores like me can only give advice on the sections they feel good about :)

I'm very happy to be able to post in this thread, BTW. good luck to everyone who has yet to take it.

PS=9 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=36Q

PS - Ah, my nemesis. Please don't let my score worry you. I have so many PS odds stacked against me. Avoided math all through high school and college, didn't take HS physics, trig, or calc. took college physics as a postbac over one summer (6 weeks each course) and honestly felt like i didn't learn a thing. I was lazy and we were able to use formula cards on the test. worthless. I tried to bring this up but i just couldn't help it, I hate it and I dreaded studying for it. Still, I managed to get up to 10's and 11's on practice, but I ran out of time on the real thing. I was finishing with time to spare on practices, so when i got the real thing and it was calculation-heavy, i didn't worry about spending a little extra time doing calculations by hand. i guessed on the last 4-5 and left one unanswered. Fail!

VR - I wrote an incredibly long PM to someone describing my verbal strategy . . . I am hesitant to post it here because it is LONG . . . but oh well this thread is long already. I'll try to streamline it:

OK here's the email i sent someone else: (it's really long)

*****It's tough to say because I think I've always been naturally strong in VR type tests (I got an 11 on my first diag, and have ranged from 10-14 since that.) That said, I do think I have been improving. I also had EK101 but only did about four of them and stopped. I actually got my lowest VR score after I had been practicing the MOST- it's weird but to me anyway, it feels like the more you practice, the harder it gets. especially if you are getting increasingly nervous and self-doubting with each mediocre score.

the highest practice score I ever got (14) happened when my computer crashed in the middle of the section- so what happened? to be honest, i think it was a combination of me being pissed off, having an adrenaline rush, and to a point not caring (like, this test is already screwed, so who cares!) in addition, i definitely think you have to internalize what EK tells you and be aggressive when you read. Pretend you're trying to prove an idiot wrong. Imagine you're arguing with Dwight Schrute. Be pissy and look at every answer as having a flaw. If you can identify the three answers that have flaws, the last one should be the 'good enough' one. Don't look at an answer and say 'that seems kind of right.' look at them and say, "no, that answer is stupid because even though the passage DOES say X, it doesn't prove Y, which is what the questions is asking. **** you, answer." then use the strikeout. i love the strikeout :) i also use the option of marking questions for review. mark any one you aren't 80-90% confident about. The ones you are confident about, you should be able to get through pretty quickly. Then you will have time to go back over the ones you weren't sure about. but ideally you wont mark TOO many, if you have more than 10 or so marked, you probably won't get to them all. oh, and this should be an obvious, but be sure to go over all the answers after you take a VR. you have to get inside your enemy's mind in order to defeat them! If you know all the dumb ways they are trying to trip you up, you can avoid those traps them next time you see them. one example is when an answer will quote something directly from the passage. you might think, 'totally, the passage explicitly said that, so it must be right.' BUT, if it is irrelevant to the QUESTION, it will be wrong! Doh. I fell for this one at the beginning, not anymore.

in general here is my tactic when i go through them-
i skim very briefly, like, just for 5 seconds at the language to see what boring topic i have to read next. government? literature? geology? art? great, just kill me now. I hate the art ones. anyway, then I skim the questions (again, really fast) just to see what's ahead. sometimes you'll see the answer to a question when you're reading, and you can stop real quick to answer that one. there's no law against that. then once youve read the whole passage, when you come back to that question, you'll either be reassured that you were right or realize it was wrong and you can change it, but usually it will be right. also, before i read the whole passage, i speed-read the last paragraph. i feel one of the worst things about VR passages is you get halfway through and start to wonder, WTF is this passage even ABOUT? reading the last paragraph won't always answer this, but at least when you start reading it from the beginning you have a vague idea of where it's going.

When i read the actual passage i slow down and read thoroughly. well, i read pretty fast, so all these tactics might become difficult if you don't. but if you do, these suggestions won't really waste a ton of time. i actually finished with about 6 min left on aamc10's verbal.

another thing that happened to me when i took aamc 10 is that the first passage, for me, was like . . . i dont know. i could not wrap my brain around it, i thought i was doomed. i tried to read it but i just couldn't focus at all so i best-guessed the questions and MOVED ON. once i had done a few of the easier ones, i felt warmed up, and i had enough time to come back to the first one at the end. and it seemed more clear and easier the second time i read it. if you're hitting a particular passage like a brick wall, make some intelligent but fast guesses and mark them so you can come back to it at the end. you only have my permission to do this for one passage though :) slug through the rest. basically what im saying is if you are getting killed by one passage it IS okay to cut your losses and move on, but you MUST a)answer the questions first (and try to make the smartest guesses you can without wasting too much time) and b) do try to make an effort to come back to it. if you finish VR with 5-6 min left, thats enough to go back and reread the killer passage slowly and check it against the answers you've already chosen.

the one thing that makes verbal different that the other sections is that ALL the answers are THERE. its not like PS where if you forgot a formula that you needed, you're SOL. in VR, they are there, you just have to be discerning enough to figure them out. but if you look hard enough, fast enough and smart enough, you'll be able to find them. and dont get too stuck on any one strategy, either. not even EK would endorse all the advice i just gave you, but what worked for me is the fact that I . . . do what works for me. which involed skimming and skipping around and alternating between rushing and taking my time. find your balance. and again for emphasis- process of elimination is SO IMPORTANT. do NOT look at a question and try to find the best answer first. you need to look for the worst answers first and strike them out as fast as possible. then once you're down to two answers, your job isn't to figure out why the right one is right but why the wrong one is wrong. leaving you with the right one.
-also if you can get an Examkrackers 101 verbal passages book, i highly recommend it. it's good practice. take verbals with a stopwatch (i just used my ipod) and hit 'lap' every time you finish a passage. in general you should be able to do a passage in 8 min, but it varies so you'll probably have at least one hard one that takes 10 min and an easy one that takes 5 or 6.
oh and one more very important thing. in aamc practices, verbal passages have a search function where you can find a specific word. THE SEARCH FUNCTION IS NOT ON THE REAL THING! like a *******, i didn't know this. so use with caution.

BS - I am a biomedical graduate student, so i've been exposed to lots of intense upper level bio, research papers, etc. so i'm afraid i can't help you much here. although you don't 'NEED' to take anything more than Bio 1 and 2, that's not to say that taking additional classes won't help you. it obviously helped me! i almost feel like i had an unfair advantage having taken biochem, cell bio, immuno . . .
And as far as Orgo is concerned, I've only taken Orgo 1 (most schools will now accept Biochem in place of Orgo 2.) I highly recommend this! the EK book for orgo was nice and short and as far as i'm concerned it worked just fine. i also took it at a community college, so take that CC haters!

All I used was EK. (EK complete set, Audio Osmosis and EK verbal 101.) I kinda feel like there's only so much content review you can do- EK is short and sweet. if you need to go more in depth than that, you must either a) really want a 40+ or b) did NOT learn the content well enough in the course. doing content review for MCAT prep is a huge drag if you're weak in the concepts. everyone says this but it's true- learn it well the first time, in the course, this will go a looooooong way.

AAMC only. I skipped around and didn't take them in order. people say some are harder than others but im still not sure, i think it just depends what you know.

Art. the only premed reqs i had done when i graduated were bio 1 and 2 and a semester of chem. when i decided to do this, i enrolled as a grad student and took the rest of my prereqs in evenings/ over the summers.

Practice tests ARE important but so is content review . . . if you don't know it, all the practice in the world won't help you! You should start with content review for a couple weeks, then take a practice test to gauge where you are. continue doing content review and practice exams. use the practice exams to identify your weak spots, focus on them, and your scores should improve. Again, my real PS score doesn't reflect that but at least in practices I was able to improve it 3-4 points.

About a month hardcore. But I had audio osmosis for about 6 months prior to it and listened to it whenever i thought of it . . . in the car, wherever.

Same thing I posted in the June 18th threads.

VR: 11
BS: 12
PS: 13
WS: S

36S.

Pretty stoked. My first time around was a 32T (Sept. 6th '08 test), which is pretty borderline for some Canadian schools (as an OOP applicant), so I decided to take it again and I'm glad that I did.

For how I felt during the test, I actually felt it was waaaay harder than the Sept. 6th test, and I was actually pretty scared that I would get a far lower score. This is a pleasant surprise (especially VR). The S in writing is a slight tad bit disappointing to me (dropping from a T), but I could see that coming a mile away, especially since the ridiculous prompts threw me off a lot (I had the 2PM test).

Just to help out anyone who is taking/retaking, I mostly practiced straight off of the AAMC tests. I have all of them in the old paper format, which is longer, something that I think actually helped (more questions=more practice). Rather than taking an entire test in one sitting, I would only take a section at a time (a section or two per day) and judge how I felt during that section, and then review if I completely effed up some passage. At no time during my studying for the June 18th test did I take a full practice test in one sitting. I felt this was the best way to spread out my resources, and stay into the rhythm of doing MCAT-style questions, and not feel burnt out after doing 10 FLs in a row.

Also, I also had Kaplan tests in my possession, which I also did section by section like aforementioned. I only used these as a complimentary resource to the AAMC, because I don't think Kaplan is a great indicator of score at all, but I did attempt both the BS and the PS, just because they were definitely harder than the AAMC, and that helped during the actual test, which is definitely harder than the AAMC. I will say this though: do NOT take the Kaplan VR. It is completely useless. The MCAT VR is all about inference, and Kaplan VR is by far the opposite: answers are literally stated in the passage. I've always gotten 14-15s on Kaplan VR when I did them back in Sept '08, and I've always straddled a 10 for the AAMC. What I DID use the Kaplan VR for, however, was the passages. After I ran out of AAMC VR to do, I started just reading the Kaplan passages by themselves, and practiced my ability to both stay focussed, and take information from the passage. Again, I didn't do the actual questions, just read the passages.

For those who love statistics, over all of my practices, I found that I usually scored within a range of (both AAMC and Kaplan combined):
BS: 10-14 (never got below a 10, my best score was 14 in AAMC 10R, but my actual average was around an 11)
PS: 11-15 (see above. I usually got 11-12s, but my best score was again in AAMC 10R, where I scored literally perfect - I was shocked.)
VR: 8-11 (see above, I usually straddled a score of 10, had a few 11s, but my lowest was AAMC 8, with 8).

Good luck to anyone planning on taking/retaking, and I hope I've helped a bit!

PS=14 VR=9 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=37Q

PS- EK Physics and Gen Chem. I reviewed it until I knew it like the back of my hand. I really made sure to memorize why things happened, and not just how. Probably 75% of my studying went into prep for PS

VR- ummm, I didn't study for VR except in the practice tests. Clearly, I got the score that I studied for. :laugh: Don't make this mistake!

Bio- I'm a bio major, so most of my review was in Orgo. Understanding concepts was much more important to me than memorizing reactions. Again, I leaned heavily on EK and my old class notes. Bio I did a little bit of EK

I used exam krackers extensively for chem, physics and orgo. If you had a good background in class, EK is fantastic

I took a Kaplan course, but it turns out that the only thing it was useful for was the access to all of the AAMC's

Kaplan 4 and 7, AAMC 6 - 10

Physiology and Neurobiology

Keep a log of your progress. I kept a notebook where I logged concepts I was having difficulty with, tricky question types etc. Also record material from your practice test score reports here. Its great for identifying weaknesses later on in the process.

Don't stess about memorizing everything. Concepts are far more important when it comes to test day.

Simulate practice exams as much as accurately as posible. This includes your wake up routine, timing, breaks, everything.

Write all over your books. Write the aforementioned 'why' everywhere, note when there was a test question about a particular subject. Play with equations, try to relate topics together when studying. Write references to previous chapters. See how the whole thing fits together.

DON"T BLOW OFF STUDYING FOR VERBAL!!!!

Give yourself plenty of time, and go slow. I rarely studied more than 4 hrs a day.

Do all the AAMC practice exams.

Above all other advice I can give, this I think is the most important: Put extra effort in the first time you learn things fresh and soph year of classes. Rationalize your time spent studying for a chem quiz as time spent studying for the MCAT, etc etc. Again, make sure you have the concepts down, not necessarily the memorization. The concepts are the things that stick with you over the years.

Take your shoes off during the exam, its so much more comfortable that way. :D

I started reviewing off and on in January all the way through spring semester. After school ended, I did about 4 hours of review per day during weekdays , and did 2 practice tests each week.

Good Luck!

PS=14 VR=9 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=37Q

PS- EK Physics and Gen Chem. I reviewed it until I knew it like the back of my hand. I really made sure to memorize why things happened, and not just how. Probably 75% of my studying went into prep for PS

VR- ummm, I didn't study for VR except in the practice tests. Clearly, I got the score that I studied for. :laugh: Don't make this mistake!

Bio- I'm a bio major, so most of my review was in Orgo. Understanding concepts was much more important to me than memorizing reactions. Again, I leaned heavily on EK and my old class notes. Bio I did a little bit of EK

I used exam krackers extensively for chem, physics and orgo. If you had a good background in class, EK is fantastic

I took a Kaplan course, but it turns out that the only thing it was useful for was the access to all of the AAMC's

Kaplan 4 and 7, AAMC 6 - 10

Physiology and Neurobiology

Keep a log of your progress. I kept a notebook where I logged concepts I was having difficulty with, tricky question types etc. Also record material from your practice test score reports here. Its great for identifying weaknesses later on in the process.

Don't stess about memorizing everything. Concepts are far more important when it comes to test day.

Simulate practice exams as much as accurately as posible. This includes your wake up routine, timing, breaks, everything.

Write all over your books. Write the aforementioned 'why' everywhere, note when there was a test question about a particular subject. Play with equations, try to relate topics together when studying. Write references to previous chapters. See how the whole thing fits together.

DON"T BLOW OFF STUDYING FOR VERBAL!!!!

Give yourself plenty of time, and go slow. I rarely studied more than 4 hrs a day.

Do all the AAMC practice exams.

Above all other advice I can give, this I think is the most important: Put extra effort in the first time you learn things fresh and soph year of classes. Rationalize your time spent studying for a chem quiz as time spent studying for the MCAT, etc etc. Again, make sure you have the concepts down, not necessarily the memorization. The concepts are the things that stick with you over the years.

Take your shoes off during the exam, its so much more comfortable that way. :D

I started reviewing off and on in January all the way through spring semester. After school ended, I did about 4 hours of review per day during weekdays , and did 2 practice tests each week.

Good Luck!

You can take off your shoes during the exam!?!

PS-14 VR-11 BS-14 = 39T

BS - purely EK, didn't really even need, TAKE physiology/biochem and you will know 99% of bio (not orgo obviously), orgo on mcat is mad basic, if you do well in classes you will do well on mcat orgo

PS - EK physics/inorganic chem was fairly horrible but still used it, supplemented it with frequent wikipedia verifications and also my college physics books

VR - legitimately did close to nothing, i don't think there are too many ways to improve this short-term other than getting used to the types of questions you will see

EK, wiki

took EK before i studied, AAMC 3 after but i was too burnt out to take it seriously - 34 and i only took 1 section a day

Chemical Engineering, biochem and chem minors

Take physio/biochem and you might already know the topic and contents of the passage even if its really specific
also, be an engineer, you get used to applying knowledge of things you just learned, makes the mcat much less daunting

4 weeks following my break after the spring semester ended, about 3 hours a day, was more productive during my first 2 weeks before my internship started

Members don't see this ad :)

PS=11 VR=12 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=34S

I used the EK books and took the Kaplan online class

PS = Read over EK once, went over any material/subjects I missed on my practice test. This wasn't the section I was really worried about

VR = I think I'm one of those strange people for whom Kaplan's method really worked. I thought the EK 101 Verbal passages was BS and all it did was make me angry because their answers made almost no sense compared to the AAMC practice tests, so I didn't do a lot of that. My main issue with VR is that I tend to read too quickly, so Kaplan's taking notes method really helped me to slow down, though I rarely looked back at my passage map.

BS = I went over the EK Biology book about 5 times, and reviewed Orgo from my class last semester. Physiology was my main concern, because I never took it -- only molecular biology.

For all of them: PRACTICE TESTS, quizzes, whatever I could get my hands on. The Kaplan online class was amazing for this.

See above

Kaplan 1-3, all of the AAMC practice tests.

Electrical Engineering

Start doing practice tests/quizzes/whatever IMMEDIATELY. Don't even screw around with watching lectures and taking notes. It's practice and especially targeted practice that is going to help you.

I studied lightly (4 hours/week or so?) January - May, then 3 hours/day on weekdays and 8 hours/day on weekends mid May - mid June

Good luck guys!

You can take off your shoes during the exam!?!

most definitely. i slipped them back on for the breaks, but the rest of time your in your cube and no one notices. its mighty comfortable. shoeless testing is highly recommended for any test taker :D

most definitely. i slipped them back on for the breaks, but the rest of time your in your cube and no one notices. its mighty comfortable. shoeless testing is highly recommended for any test taker :D

i didnt take off my shoes but i did wear my soft meshy pumas and sit indian style. ahhhhh :p

PS=13 VR=11 WS=T BS=13 Composite=37T

EK books, took a class offered by a tutor at school who also tutors Orgo off campus, and looked over class notes from Physics, which I hadn't taken in a while.

EK review books, text books, notes from classes

Also, for Verbal I subscribed to the Economist and did the EK 101 Verbal Passages, just to get used to reading lots of different things...I can't read anything anymore without overanalyzing it.

One other thing that really helped is my experience as a Chemistry Teaching Assistant. I direct experiments with first level Chemistry students, which are super simple, but it really helps concretize basic scientific concepts. If you can find something like tutoring or T.A.-ing at your school I would highly suggest it. You have to answer so many questions, it's basically mandatory that you know what the hell you're talking about...also, it's nice if your school pays you :)

AAMC posted ones

Biology, Chemistry, Women's and Gender Studies

Honestly, I walked out of the test about to cry. I'm usually a very steady test taker, and I was practically shaking the whole test. The biggest thing is getting yourself in the mindset, so that you don't have to read and reread things a million times because you were so nervous the first time that you didn't pay attention to it.

Also, during the test there would be passages explaining orgo reactions or Biology concepts that you SHOULD know just from studying. I didn't even read the passages, I just went straight to the questions, and if they referred back to a specific figure or reaction pathway, that's when I actually looked at the passage.

I have a super busy school schedule so I took a class from December to April, but didn't really start to study until March...I did about an hour or two a day, and then took a test or two every week.

Notes:

The best way you can prepare is take as many different practice tests as possible, but especially the AAMC ones. I did not think that the actual test was as easy as the practice test, but I ended up scoring the same (actually a point higher because my AAMC average was about a 36). Either way, you realize that they have certain ways they like to phrase and ask things. It helps to just get used to their format so that you can concentrate on the actual content.

Also, I knew that I felt good about my essays, but I was pleasantly surprised by my T. I know writing isn't a huge factor regarding your score, but use that time to sort of relax. By the time you get to the writing section, you're so tense from PS and VS that you need some way to release the stress. My writing reflected my personality- blunt, and even a little sarcastic. Don't be afraid to make bold statements or strange analogies (I talked about things like polar bears and sports and siblings fighting)...writing won't determine whether you get into med school, so just let your own style come through, and a near perfect score will definitely be something that doesn't go unnoticed.

I'm so happy I finally get to post here!

PS - 11 V - 12 BS - 12 WS - Q
Total: 35Q

PS: I started first using EK, but that wasn't working for me. I was stuck at an 8 in each section. I finally picked up TBR offline for both chemistry and physics. I didn't even get to go through the whole thing (in fact, far from it), but just getting through my problem areas shot me up to an 11. If I'd delayed my exam and been able to go through more, I'd probably have gone up higher, but I'll take my score and run with it. I can't say this enough - if PS is your problem area, then TBR is the way to go. They literally saved my score.

VR: I barely practiced this. I actually started at a 12. I did some of EK 101, and was getting 13s and 14s, and one random 10, on the practice AAMCs. Not sure what happened on test day. But I'm definitely happy with how it turned out.

BS: For this I used EK Biology and Organic Chemistry, went through EK Bio 1001, and did some of the Kaplan Sectionals for organic chemistry. Other than that, I just reviewed the AAMCs, went through the notes I took on practice exams, and tried to practice my critical thinking skills.

This is talked about above, but in summary, mostly TBR for Gen Chem and Physics, EK 101 for Verbal, and EK and Kaplan (a little bit) for Bio and Orgo.

AAMC all the way!

Biochemistry and a social science major

Read, read, read. Focus on the exam, and try not to let the content stress you out. You can do this. Also remember that SDN does not represent a normal sample of the testers. You'd think looking at this website that everyone who takes the exam gets a 38+. That's not the case. Shoot for a 30, and you'll be just fine. You can do this!

I started a little bit, maybe 4-5 hours a week during the spring semester. Then I studied about 5-8 hours a day for the month prior to my June 18th exam.

I hope this was helpful to anyone studying for the exam right now! Good luck to you all!:luck: Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or if you need to talk at all.

39Q
PS-13 VR-11 BS-15 (July 18th 2009 2pm)

No prep courses.
For each section: Went through the Examkrackers complete book on each, starting with what I felt I knew least. (Physics, Chemistry 1st, then VR and Biology and Organic). Did the lecture questions after reading and making notes on each chapter. Took the 30 min exams after going through the book. The Examkrackers stuff is EXCELLENT- the verbal stuff helped me a lot (even though I didn't do as good as hoped) and I think it really helped me get confident with the PS. The Biology/Organic sections are GREAT, because they ask questions that I felt represented test questions very well.

Anyways, I went over the books twice, and worked on the sections I did bad on (I made a couple of 6's in the 30 in class exam- like wave motion or something...I really don't like physics).

Also read/took some Barron's MCAT test preps. The material is kind of bad, and presented not as well as others, but since I started perusing it occasionally back last year when I travelled abroad I think some of the stuff sank in. But I imagine if you used TBR/TPR/Kaplan or EK obviously it would sink in better. The practice tests i found to be kind of useful- they give good practice questions to go over. (The verbal was kind of tricky and not exactly like MCAT verbal- use EK 101 VR for sure)

I also went and google'd help on topics I really needed help with (read: physics in general), and worked on it until I felt comfortable.

Examkrackers.

I took the free kaplan and princeton, the Barrons' MCAT ones, and the free AAMC.

Erm, History.

If you feel you don't know something- go over it until you understand it completely. Don't just stick to what the materials tell you- if you don't understand circular motion, for example, go find the free help resources that are online and explain it TOTALLY.

Take a day to relax and read over stuff before you take the test- watch a movie, eat comfort food, try to get some rest. I did the above, played some really loud hardcore rock (like I do sometimes before bioc tests), and just got excited about being through with it soon.

This is advice my mom gave me, and I took it and I felt it really helped:
Have fun with it. I know it sounds strange, but I tried to look at all the passages as interesting and informative- some of them really are if you look at them beyond info for questions. I mean, I do like science and doing that stuff, so I just tried to be really engaged about figuring out what the passages were about.

Started real study about 4-5 weeks before the test, probably studied most of the time during the day when I wasn't eating, with friends, working, or doing other stuff. Kind of lame, but I dropped TV and a lot of distractions while I did it.

I also half-arsed read some stuff like the summer before while travelling, and occasionally during the in between year.

Sigh, only in SDN land where my 32S isn't even worth posting :(. GJ everyone who rocked the MCAT lol

Of course it is. This is for study tips, what worked for you may work to perfection for someone else. Never hesitate to post if you got a 30+. Some of the best tips are from people who got in the 30-33 range. We need all we can get.

-LIS

June 18, 2009 (8 am)
38Q: 14 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS

I pretty much just read through PR and EK books repeatedly. I must have gone through the PR Cracking the CBT book at least 15+ times and each of the EK books 5+ times. Verbal is just a matter of practice, so I got the EK Verbal 101 book and went through that.

I bought the Princeton Review's Cracking the CBT book. While I found it was good for lots of details, it also went a little too far into the minute details for certain aspects, so I also used EK. I found EK particularly useful for Biology, and EK gave a pretty decent overview of the other three sciences. I did well in organic chemistry, so I didn't really have any problems with it and didn't focus very much time studying it in either PR or EK. Also, I bought the EK Verbal 101 for practice.

AAMC 3-10. I had access to the four PR tests that come with Cracking the CBT, but after doing two of them, I found they weren't indicative of the skills/knowledge tested on the real MCAT, so I stopped doing them.

Biology

Since organic chemistry seems to be taking on greater emphasis (my BS had 3 orgo passages), I'd focus on learning the reactions and mechanisms for the major reactions (i.e. aldol condensation, Grignards, etc). If you know how to do all of the arrow pushing and how the reactions work, you can pretty much skip over reading orgo passages and instead go straight to the questions. That's the strategy that I used, and I only referred back to the passage to look at the reaction. I never read any of the text in the orgo passages since it's there just to explain the reaction.

I started studying the last week of February, spending maybe 1-2 hours on weekdays and 4-6 hours on weekends. I followed this schedule until the end of the semester in May. I wasn't working the first 3 weeks of May, so I studied basically all day, every day, so probably 8-10 hours of studying daily. Once I began work in the last week of May, I was only able to put in maybe 2 hours a day during the week. Beginning in the beginning of May, I began taking AAMCs, and I typically took one every Saturday morning.

I feel like I shouldn't have started studying so early, as I got burned out sometime halfway through May. Maybe starting towards the end of March would have been better. Regardless, I got a score that I'm happy with, so there isn't much to complain about.

May 22, 2009(8 am)
34R: 12 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS

Read through all the TPR materials on my own, Really PRACTICE Verbal, the timing on the computer is killer.

Fooled around and half-assed for three months, then really hit the books 9-12 hours a day for one month before the test. Came to the conclusion that I didn't want to die and never try to take the MCAT seriously.

Only TPR books that my friend (MD/PhD at UCSF gave to me)

All the AAMC tests, do the HARDER ones. I also did all the TPR tests. DO TESTS

Economics

DO TESTS and seriously study for this test. Practice VERBAL early and ON THE COMPUTER.

My verbal strategy (because everything else you can study): Each paragraph, highlight one word that gives the "gist" of each paragraph. It is all about mapping the passage and figuring out where **** is....

ex: The old man walked into the bar, screeching loudly and whining for ale. I had never seen him before in my life, but I knew we were some how interconnected. He looked absolutely crazy and unhinged. His eyes moved about wildly as he shuffled across the room, eagerly approaching the bartender.

HIGHLIGHT: crazy, interconnected

Last edited:

39R: 15 PS, 11 VR, 13 BS

I started by reading through the Kaplan MCAT guide for each subject to refresh up on content. I did the practice problems at the end of each section to see my weaknesses, and noticed physics and biology were my two biggest problem areas. So I bought the EK 1001 bio book and the MCAT physics book. I also bought the 101 ek verbal book. I worked through all the books and towards the end I bought the Kaplan 45 book, which I didn't think was helpful. For the final week, I did all the aamc practice tests (1 per day).

Kaplan- recommend for content.
EK - great practice, 1001 Bio was super helpful, highly recommend.
Nova's physics book - pretty good physics review if you want extra help on the subject. Probably more valuable for all the practice problems, since content is decently covered by kaplan.

All the AAMC's. The Kaplan FL in the back of my Kaplan mcat guide.

Chemistry

Take up a science tutoring job. I was a general chemistry tutor and that helped me so much on the ps. I barely looked over gen chem while prepping for the mcat and the ps was always the easiest section for me. Also, if you're at least a marginally adequate self-learner, save yourself $1,700 and buy one of the MCAT guides rather than taking a course (I used Kaplan's, but I'm sure most of them are fine). I'd also recommend doing as many aamc tests as you can afford. They're by far the best example of what you'll see on test day. Oh, and make sure you do the aamc tests TIMED. Trust me, you don't want to realize on test day that you've been reading your verbal passages too slow, and you've suddenly got 5 minutes to do the last 2 passages. Yeah, that's how I was for the first couple practice tests.

4 weeks. The first 3 weeks I did content review/practice problems and passages. And like I said before, I spent the last week doing the aamc practice tests. I didn't study the day before. It's good to give your brain a nice recharge.
user_offline.gif

) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=12 VR=12 WS=K BS=12 Composite=36K (I took a nap through most of the writing to give myself rest for the last section.)

PS&BS: Read through EK 3 times, and practice exams.
VR: Nothing, didn't study at all for VR except for the VR section on practice exams.

EK

2 AAMC exams, and 3 Kaplan exams

Bio

Focus on equations and concepts for physics and gen chem, because many of the questions test your ability to assimilate data in the prompt with your conceptual knowledge.

2 months total, probably around 2-3 hours a day but honestly didn't really keep track.

PS=12 VR=9 WS=N BS=13 Composite=34N

I had taken the Kaplan Class two summers before this and still had access to the online materials by continuing to request an extension. I tried to do as much of the Kaplan online content as possible after reviewing the Kaplan Books.

PS was the section that I was most concerned about because the last time I wrote the MCAT I got an 8. I really believe that anyone can jump to a 10+ in this section, but they have to be willing to put in work. Once I understood the general concepts, my biggest gains came from drilling equations and graphs into my head using flashcards. After every block of studying, I would make flashcards and test myself weekly. When I took the test, I feel like I saved a lot of time that I would have used deriving.

VR was tough as well. I never mastered an exact strategy, and I believe that’s part of the reason I got a 9. I got as much practice as I could, but I was mainly focusing on the science sections since my last MCAT VR score was an 11. Practice passages were my main means of studying. Maybe this says something about being an avid reader—I certainly am not one and I rarely did any reading outside of MCAT material during my studying.

I did nothing to prepare for the WS of this test. In fact, during practice tests I would completely skip this section and move onto Bio. In retrospect I think that was dumb of me since I really wasn’t creating the exact testing situation and I was letting myself cheat to be done quicker. In the end, though, I don’t feel like my rhythm or endurance was affected on test day. However, I got an N.

BS came a little bit easier to me since my undergraduate major was physiology. I had to fill in the knowledge gaps for sections like microbio, the cell cycle, etc. But once I did that most of my improvements on this section came from practicing passages.

I think the main difference between PS and BS is that bio has a smaller number of less technical concepts that you have to be able to apply in pretty tricky situations. PS to me seems much more straightforward.

PS: I started out with the Kaplan books for the first 2 months of my studying and when I realized that a couple topics in physics were giving me trouble, I tried out TBR and MAN I WISH I FOUND THESE SOONER. These books really helped me to master electrostatics, magnetism, and sound.

VR: I got most of my VR work done through Kaplan FL’s, AAMC FL’s, and the EK101 book. I feel like I got a false sense of confidence from taking Kaplan FL’s due to the fact that their curve is a little inflated. I will also say that the Kaplan Verbal section is different than the actual MCAT. They have more detail questions that require you to go back to the passage and eat up time. But the reading difficulty of these passages I found to be similar to the actual MCAT.

WS: None.

BS: Kaplan books and online materials for bio were great. Avoid using Kaplan for orgo. I hated their teaching strategy for this. I really preferred EK’s orgo book. After getting frustrated with the Kaplan method, I tried these books out and they made everything so much clearer. I found this especially helpful since 6/18 had such a large orgo emphasis. Once again, for this section I really want to stress practice, practice, practice since it will really force you to understand the concepts in and out—something you need for test day.

I took a couple TPR Tests in the middle of my studying, but can't recall my scores.

In chronological order:
KAPLAN 11: 9-5-8 22
KAPLAN 9: 11-12-11 34
KAPLAN 8: 10-13-12 35
Kaplan 10: 9-8-7 24
AAMC 7: 12-11-10 33
KAPLAN 7: 11-9-12 32
AAMC 10: 12-10-11 33
KAPLAN 6 12-14-13 39
AAMC 8: 12-8-10 30
AAMC 9: 10-9-12 31

AAMC Avg: 11.5-9.5-10.75 31.75

Kaplan Avg: Much Higher. (Not including 10 and 11, because I don't feel like they count).

I think for my EK101 scores, I was scoring anywhere from an 8-11, mostly 9’s though. KAPLAN Tests 10 and 11 are ridiculously hard and based on a crazy curve. I didn’t know this until I read about it on this forum. Needless to say I freaked out after taking my first practice test. Then I took 10 as a good motivator during the middle of my studies after knowing how hard it was.

Physiological Science

I think there are a bunch of big steps that you need to take in order to do well on this test.

1) First off, you need to set a date for your MCAT. This commits you to a time and a place. After that you can make a study schedule for all the things you need to do with whatever time you have. Plan out everything from your content review to how many practice tests you’re going to take. This planning will also take into account how many hours you have per day to study depending on your commitments.

2) Know the last day before you can reschedule your MCAT. Once you get into your groove of studying, you’re going to be able to gauge your progress. And if by the time that date rolls around you don’t feel like you’re going to be ready…. reevaluate your study strategies or reschedule your test. There’s nothing worse than the impending doom of not being ready for your test and knowing it! Obviously know that you’re ready for the MCAT before you take it.

3) After the ‘no turning back’ point, as I like to call it, you should have just enough time to take as many practice tests as you can before you write the actual MCAT. Be sure to constantly be practicing your test strategies. In the last 3 weeks of study, I took a practice test every other day. I reviewed my weak contend on my off days in preparation for the next practice test. I feel this is crucial to getting the score you want.

Note: Don’t go into the test thinking that you have the ability to void your score. I was shocked to read about all the people posting the fact that they voided their score directly afterwards just because they didn’t have a ‘good feeling’ about a specific section. Don’t give yourself an excuse to fail. Of course, in the event of an unforeseen catastrophe (like a heart attack), go ahead and void.

4) In the last few days before the test, you need to taper in order to give your brain a rest. The second to last week is the most important week: you have to go balls out until your brain is bleeding. This is the last week you have before you risk study-burnout. In the few days before the test, do light content review if anything.

5) I know it may seem painful given the past month (or however long you’ve been studying), but avoid doing anything MCAT related on the day before your test. Plan ahead so that you are prepared well in advance! I’m sure you’ve heard it before, but the last day should be reserved for relaxing and fun activities that are non-MCAT related. For example, during my last day, I went to a day-spa and got a massage and royal treatment all day with my girlfriend (yeah it hurt my wallet, but I believe it was $$ well spent). This relaxation is exactly what you need to get you fresh for the test.

Keeping these things in mind, I feel like there are a few more elements that are necessary for study success.

First, have a group of peers for support. I used a couple friends writing the MCAT on the same date as well as the SDN forums. I felt that this kept me at the exact level or neuroticism I needed to excel in my studies.

Second, a good group of non-pre-med support was helpful in letting me relax and have a good time in order to alleviate stress. I felt like I needed a break from all the pressure and anxiety I was putting upon myself and that these guys/gals were able to provide it.

Lastly, I suggest planning out a routine for everyday/week living. As sad as this sounds, routine trained be to make the most of my time. Of course you allocate time for fun/friends, but using a schedule, you can better allocate your time. I am a fun guy and I really enjoy hanging out, but when committing yourself to something as important as the MCAT, you really need to stay on track. I think that the most helpful aspect of my schedule was a good exercise program (1-2 hours a day) that let me vent my frustration/stress.

For this section I will leave you with a quote:

“We all get 24 hours each day, that’s the only fair thing; it’s the only thing that’s equal. What we do with those 24 hours is up to us” -Sam Huff

I studied for about 3 months for the MCAT. Anything else I feel is excessive since you will not be able to retain information for that long. I stacked classes in the fall and winter quarters so that I could graduate early and then commit my entire spring quarter to studying MCAT material. Some people can juggle a crazier load that I can, but for me my only commitment during this time was studying…that was my job for 6 hours a day.

Good luck to all of you tackling this beast. If you are reading this, then you already have a great start for your journey. Read this thread and take away as much as you can. Each person’s study strategy differs, so find whatever works for you.

PS=14 VR=14 WS=S BS=14 Composite=42S

PS- Kaplan Online Course-- did pretty much every quiz, practice test, book problem, etc.

VR- Kaplan Online Course + EK 101-- exam krackers was absolutely awesome for this- kaplan's was OK since the passages were harder but the questions/curve were easier imo-- look for the big picture in each paragraph
I did every practice section I could find

Bio- Kaplan Online Course- did pretty much every quiz, practice test, book problem, etc.

Kaplan + EK for verbal

Kaplan 1- 9, AAMC 3-5, 7 - 10

Biochem

Plenty of tips:
- use a notebook that compiles everything you got wrong on any practice test, quiz, etc, as well as any shaky concepts and review that notebook every day
- EK is god for verbal, but try to do as many passages as you can get your hands on, even if it's not EK- also use vihsadas's strategy for verbal- I had almost 20 minutes left on the verbal section on the real thing
- save AAMCs for last so you get a feel for what the actual test will be like- BE WARNED THOUGH- actual test is probably going to be harder than what you're used to
- "according to" means look for a detail or something explicitly said in the passage
- BE CONFIDENT- this is probably the most important

3 months 5 hours a day Good Luck!
user_offline.gif

PS=8 VR=11 WS=M BS=11 Composite=30M

Didn't have one

None

None

Microbiology

Watch House the night before.

And most importantly for me....Know that there is a right answer, and only one. Realizing that was key for me, and suddenly it becomes less daunting with the knowledge that the correct answer is right there in front of you. That is probably the best thing I have learned about taking a multiple choice test: There is one correct answer, and it is on that page/screen in front of you. Such overwhelming confidence.

I showed up test day

First off, you need to set a date for your MCAT. This commits you to a time and a place

Lastly, I suggest planning out a routine for everyday/week living. As sad as this sounds, routine trained be to make the most of my time. Of course you allocate time for fun/friends, but using a schedule, you can better allocate your time.

I studied for about 3 months for the MCAT.

winning post in general but i could not agree more with these specific lines. also, as an added tip, someone else posted that he/she was excited and looking forward to the MCAT. this is when you know you're truly ready

I just wanted to express my deep gratitude to all those who have posted on this thread. If by a miracle I make above a 30 on this darn test I will buy you all a beer. haha. But of course you have to be 21 ;)

I just wanted to express my deep gratitude to all those who have posted on this thread. If by a miracle I make above a 30 on this darn test I will buy you all a beer. haha. But of course you have to be 21 ;)

positive thoughts...

hah. yes positive thoughts. positive thoughts.

I take the MCAT in January. So we shall see.

oh I am not freaking out yet. like you said I have 5 months. plenty of time if I prioritize correctly.

Yeah, you should probably get to studying and stop embarrassing yourself by re-editing and thinking for hours about what you're going to say to me. INTERSTINGINGLY, I noticed you did that in the other thread.

can someone ban this person. judging by her posts (and her dismal practice scores), she really has nothing constructive to contribute to this forum. k thanks

lol agreed

a 41 is hardly even a replicable score unless someone is a genius, and a genius would likely score much higher on practice tests. nobody should expect a 41 unless they are averaging 37-39+ on practice tests.

best of luck to her though...

lol agreed

a 41 is hardly even a replicable score unless someone is a genius, and a genius would likely score much higher on practice tests. nobody should expect a 41 unless they are averaging 37-39+ on practice tests.

best of luck to her though...

Unless they're a troll... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.