30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
PS=13 VR=10 WS=M BS=12 Composite=35M

For PS, I memorized a handful of physics equations and did a few hundred general chemistry practice questions. For BS, I didn't really do anything special (I was in Physiology and Organic Chemistry while prepping for the MCAT, so that pretty much took care of everything). For verbal, I read articles from newpapers and different scholarly publications pretty regularly and did all the practice problems I could get my hands on. For writing, I just read the tips in the prep books and wrote a handful of practice essays (I wish I had done more).

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
I had a Princeton review book that covered all the necessary material (it was about 1000 pages) which I read through about 3 times. I had the Kaplan Perfect 45 exam skills book, a Barron's book with just practice exams, and the EK 1001 Chemistry Questions book.

The Princeton Review book came with 2 practice exams on CD (which I took), I took a free Kaplan exam that was being offered on my campus, another free Kaplan exam on-line, a couple Barron's exams, and then the free on-line exam from the AAMC.

General Engineering

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
I kinda neglected the writing, and that was clearly my weakest section come test day. I'm still going through the appication process, so I am not sure how much that hurt my chances, but I wish I could have gotten at least a P or Q.
Also, as many have already said, stay calm and do not get caught up on any problem. This happened to me in the PS section, and I had to rush to get through the whole thing

I took the exam in late May 2008, and I began studying during my winter break 2007. During that break, I studied 2-3 hours per day. During spring semester 2008, I only did about 5 hours per week. And for the two weeks between finals and exam day, I studied about 6-7 hours per day. From what I have gathered, the Kaplan and Princeton prep courses are unnecessary if you can motivate yourself to study on your own time.

Good luck to everyone preparing for the exam - if you remember your motivation for attending medical school, that should get you through this stressful time.

9v/12p/13b (34)

I started my day at about 8am at starbux (coffee MUST be present for the MCAT to be defeated!). preread/skimmed the upcoming chapter, did some passages from the HW. read my notes. I then went to class and wrote down notes into a legal pad. I then returned to starbux, re-wrote my notes into a sacred notebook with extreme clarity and neatness (taking your time here allows you to memorize better). Then I did all of the homework assigned and made sure I was always below the time allotted. God knows what happened to my verbal section. I guess I can't read. Total, about 8hrs a day worth of studying, so quit your job, drop your classes, and do your volunteering at a later time.

I took TPR classes. Read the books twice at least, did all of the homework assigned, did all of their tests

ALL of the AAMC (I think about 8)
ALL of the princeton review (I think about 4 in total)

Biochem (UCLA) [tore my GPA to shreds]

I am now a tutor for TPR (ironically, my paycheck goes to pay off my TPR classes), and The one thing that both happens way too often and angers me at the same time is the following: STUDENTS DON'T STUDY!!!:mad: It seems like people don't understand that studying must be done in large chunks of time (>5hrs a day) and EVERYDAY. Also, Go through prac. tests as many times as possible ( I did it like 10 times). Be as real with your prac tests as possible (No nintendo breaks, no make out with girlfriend breaks, no grocery trip breaks.... so on & so forth). The test is like running a marathon: will you practice by running a mile everyday 26 days prior? theoretically, you can run 26 miles right? Somehow it doesn't pan out the day of the big race. Also, remember, the word genius is made up. Replace that word with "a person who tries a lot harder than average". I feel that telling people that they are genuises shortchanges all the work they have put in. that goes for everything in life as well (Coltrane used to go on 11hour practice sessions, so I've heard). OHH and about the guy that loves studying for this test a few pages back, remember people, taking this test and doing well is only opening the floodgates for harder tests, longer amounts of stress, and a huge amount of schooling...if you don't like studying, medicine just may not be for you! Wow...I sound like I'm a cantankerous old man.:smuggrin:

Ohh yeah, Stress is counterproductive, so try to chill out and be happy about having the opportunity to learn a lot of amazing stuff here!

over 700 hours

Like I said, Putting in the effort is worthwhile. you guys are all smart, you just gotta prove that you are also willing to endure the hardships of selling your soul to the MCAT.

"I am now a tutor for TPR (ironically, my paycheck goes to pay off my TPR classes), and The one thing that both happens way too often and angers me at the same time is the following: STUDENTS DON'T STUDY!!!:mad: It seems like people don't understand that studying must be done in large chunks of time (>5hrs a day) and EVERYDAY."

I gotta disagree with this. People too often seem to forget that the MCAT is testing basic science. Because of this, I think people psyche themselves out and in true neurotic pre-med fashion, tend to think they need to know absolutely everything. If people are truly studying this much everyday than chances are they are studying inefficiently or overdoing it. Just my thoughts.

I think it is better to space it out a bit more, study more efficiently for fewer hours, and take break days to recoup.

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta disagree with this. People too often seem to forget that the MCAT is testing basic science. Because of this, I think people psyche themselves out and in true neurotic pre-med fashion, tend to think they need to know absolutely everything. If people are truly studying this much everyday than chances are they are studying inefficiently or overdoing it. Just my thoughts.

I think it is better to space it out a bit more, study more efficiently for fewer hours, and take break days to recoup.

My reasoning for implementing the 5 hour study block is just the fact that you want to build up endurance. I am not saying study new things every time you study, but review, repeat, memorize, and understand. If you go over things until they become second nature, you will be able to think more clearly on the big day. by the time you are done reviewing everything until you have that strong of an understanding of the material, 5 hours will have passed by. I do not want anybody thinking that studying for two hours is going to keep you going strong on hour 4-5 of the MCAT. It is like a marathon, if you run a mile a day for 26 days before, theoretically, you can run 26 miles....doesn't quite work on the day of the race. My point in long study periods are to increase endurance. also, reviewing stuff doesnt hurt. DO NOT TRY TO JAM A BUNCH OF STUFF IN YOUR HEAD just to do so! review what you need to.

As to the recouping you are speaking of, you are completely right! every few days you need to go out with your people and have a good time. just like working out needs a time to rebuild after.

There is always the other story, that of the guy who studies 60 hours a week and sleeps 5 hrs a night but never breaks a 30 on the test. the attitude has to be positive, but the work also has to be hard. Do not be neurotic, you're studying, so why worry about it?

Thanks for the discussion though, getting things out evenly and across from many different points gets the message out as clear as possible to those who need it.

"It is like a marathon, if you run a mile a day for 26 days before, theoretically, you can run 26 miles....doesn't quite work on the day of the race. My point in long study periods are to increase endurance."

Ehhh have to disagree with this also. When I took the MCAT we got a 10 min break between each section. That is plenty of time to get up, stretch, get a drink of water, or nibble on food. I, again, think people are getting too psyched out about this test.

It is more like a 1/2 marathon with breaks every few miles. It is really not that bad.

"It is like a marathon, if you run a mile a day for 26 days before, theoretically, you can run 26 miles....doesn't quite work on the day of the race. My point in long study periods are to increase endurance."

Ehhh have to disagree with this also. When I took the MCAT we got a 10 min break between each section. That is plenty of time to get up, stretch, get a drink of water, or nibble on food. I, again, think people are getting too psyched out about this test.

It is more like a 1/2 marathon with breaks every few miles. It is really not that bad.

lol.........ok.........i'm not here to argue......what you did to get your 30+ score worked for you, and you are obviously quite gifted.............for the rest of us, this test kind of IS a big deal

Thanks to all of you for sharing your valuable insight. Luxaterna, you and several others who have scored well on VR recommend EK. When looking at the materials available, it seems that EK has verbal books that they made around 2002 which were tailored towards the paper-version. It appears that a new edition just came out in June 2008. I'm wondering if you used the old, or new EK verbal materials, and if you have any suggestions towards which (if any) are better? The main reason I ask is because i have EK audio osmosis and the old EK VR 101 psgs and am wondering if it's worthwhile to purchase the new ones if there are new valuable strategies pertinent to the CBT format.
Thanks,
D

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
PS: 13, V:13, B:12, WS: M (ugh...)
Composite: 38M

PS: I sucked at physics and got C's both semesters freshman year. So I read every page of the Kaplan notes and did all the online quizzes and just absolutely drilled the concepts into my head. I also took a gen chem course at a nearby university over the summer which took care of most of the chem knowledge.

VR: So Kaplan's VR strategy sucks. I started out mapping and all that jazz, and it got me nowhere. I heard EK's VR strategy on the Audio Osmosis CD's and it intrigued me, so I tried it. It worked better and I had more time to spare, so I worked through about 9 EK VR101 practice tests.

BS: Well, I'm a bio major and I was consistently making 13+ on my practice tests so I didn't put much effort into studying bio besides reviewing orgo and some concepts that I had forgotten. Lucky me, this was my worst section!

Kaplan course. The class wasn't that helpful, honestly, but the online materials and the review books are excellent. Kaplan worked well for the sciences.

For verbal, EK VR101 and the EK strategy.

First time I took it I studied 5 days/week over the summer (3-8 hours/day) and was enrolled in Kaplan

9, 10, 11Q

Second time I took the exam, after graduate school, I spent 2 nights (2 hours each) reading the PS Kaplan book.

10, 10, 11Q.

4 hours ftw.

First time I took it I studied 5 days/week over the summer (3-8 hours/day) and was enrolled in Kaplan

9, 10, 11Q

Second time I took the exam, after graduate school, I spent 2 nights (2 hours each) reading the PS Kaplan book.

10, 10, 11Q.

4 hours ftw.

lol.........ftw indeed.........that kinda happened to me too.....I feel that in a way, I was just continuing studying, so the second batch of studying (4hrs for you) was more of a refresher. good stuff nonetheless......the MCAT is so odd sometimes......

9, 10, 11Q

10, 10, 11Q.

4 hours ftw.

Actually, that makes sense. The prep you did for the first exam stuck with you for the second, for which you did virtually no additional prep, and you got more or less the same score...to assume you could have made the 31 on the first exam with just the 4 hours of prep without having done the intense prep beforehand is silly.

Actually, that makes sense. The prep you did for the first exam stuck with you for the second, for which you did virtually no additional prep, and you got more or less the same score...to assume you could have made the 31 on the first exam with just the 4 hours of prep without having done the intense prep beforehand is silly.

Well, I had a 27 diagnostic when I took Kaplan in 2004. My score was a 9, 10, 8 (I needed to refresh biology).

So, in the end, I didn't really improve from Kaplan.

Perhaps I studied the wrong way? Oh well, I'm happy with my 30 and 31 and the balance of the scores.

Anyone here use or can post about their experience using TBR? It doesn't seem too many people have used it (at leas on this thread).

Well, I had a 27 diagnostic when I took Kaplan in 2004. My score was a 9, 10, 8 (I needed to refresh biology).

So, in the end, I didn't really improve from Kaplan.

Perhaps I studied the wrong way? Oh well, I'm happy with my 30 and 31 and the balance of the scores.

If I understand your timeline, you had a diag 27, took Kaplan, scored 30? I don't think you can say that wasn't at least some improvement...

Whatever, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS=14 VR=11 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=36Q

2)
PS: Be a physics major. Seriously, I have a theory that although biologists can probably memorize and put their vast array of knowledge to use better than us physisicts, physics forces you to understand broad concepts on a more abstract scale, then fit individual questions into molds of higher motifs. That said, memorize all the equations in TPR, then visualize scenarios for changes in each variable.

BS: Memorize. Kaplan has a great set of flashcards for bio and ochem

VS: Luck. TPR says you probably wont finish all 7 passages. I found that flying through them and jotting a single, illegible sentence from each paragraph kept me focused on themes but not bogged down with details. at a 6 passage/ 55mins + guessing the last passage pace I was getting 7-8s. Flying through all 7 with about 6 minutes to spare I was doing 10-12.

WS: Apparently Q means my strategy wasn't too great. I couldn't think of examples and wasted too much time. Brainstorm. Do the practice essay!!!

TPR class sept-jan
Exam krackers audio osmosis jan 1 - jan 30
all AAMC tests

I did all the TPR diagnostics at pace. that means one every other week with one a week at the end. I also did all the AAMC tests. One a day during the last week.

I am a biophysics major with a minor in chemistry

Go to all the TPR classes (I skipped a lot) and take good notes. Of course it is all review. SO REVIEW. keep pace with all the practice tests. I wish I would have spent more time doing exam kracker 1001 questions. Also, TPR offers extra CBT passages. Do them. Especially all 40 something VR. Lastly, if you take TPR, take the test about a month after the class end. When that class is over you are in stride, the last week of epic test taking is the final sprint, and the test is the finish. And if you can, don't take 16 units on a quarter system and work 20hrs a week.

sep-dec, 3 hrs/day 5days a week
dec-jan 3 hrs/day 3 days a week
jan 4 hrs/day 6 days a week

PS=13 VR=09 WS=R BS=13 Composite=35R

PS&BS: Went through the entire EK study guides. Then went through the EK questions books, and circled certain questions for future review. Went through the EK study guides a second time while taking notes. Went through Nova's physics book to strengthen my weakest subject. Also, the whole time I was on the EK forums, because their moderators (thank you Crayton and Dr. Johnson!!) will answer whatever questions you have, I HIGHLY recommend the forums if you're using EK. Spent the final 1.5 months doing AAMC and GS practices and fully reviewed each exam.

VS: I used EK's verbal practice book, but my scores were never consistent. I honestly don't have much advice here. Just practice and get used to the style, I guess.

WS: Nothing really. Just know the typical MCAT writing format and pump out 3 paragraphs per essay on test day.

3) What materials you used for each section
All the ExamKrackers books; study guides & questions book
Nova's physics book.

All the AAMC and Gold Standard online CBT's.

Biological Sciences, followed by a Nursing degree later.

It's not enough to memorize and "know" your stuff. You must be comfortable with AAMC's testing style, and be able to comprehend passage information. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and always do a full review of the practice.

6 months, with several breaks interspersed. ~4.5 months of content review, and ~1.5 months of practice. (I'm about a decade removed from freshmen physics and g. chem, so most of you current undergrads won't need 6 months to review.)

PS=14 VR=12 WS= O BS=12Composite=38O

PS: Lots of practice tests. Also tutored gen chem at school which helped a lot. I think if you can teach it then you know it. If you have the opportunity to tutor it helps you as well as others.
BS: I think that taking classes above and beyond the med school reqs. genetics, cell bio, biochem, physio. Also if you didn't do well in orgo retake it or at least the first half. For some reason I didn't get it the first time.

VS: I did take the Kaplan course and for my brain it was definitely helpful to take some sort of notes as I went through the passages. In the end just taking test after test to get my timing down and to get comfortable with the format helped.

WS: My writing has always been my weakest on any standardized test but definitely know the format before going into the exam.

3) What materials you used for each section
Kaplan books, flash cards, study sheets(I would use them to cheat as I was learning in the beginning), EK 101 verbal passages

All AAMC and bout 5 Kaplan tests. was scoring 34-37 on my practice tests.

Biology with a minor in biochem and then working on a MS in Biomedical Sciences.
I have to say that the MCAT is like other standardized tests. They test content but they also test your ability to take a test and figure out the answer when you are not sure about the content. I used things like making sure my units worked out and used that concept to tweak my equations if I wasn't exactly sure. IE if you are looking for force, make sure the equation you use ends up with the units of N otherwise you know your equation you used was off. Also when you are really unsure, pick the answer that sticks out as being different from the others. I know its not the way to approach the whole test but they were strategies I used when I blanked on a few questions.
I have been teaching MCAT, tutoring and then tutoring undergrad chemistry for over a year. I think that was a great review for me and if you have the opportunity to teach for any of the companies take it. You get to improve your presentation skills and have to keep up with the material. Otherwise, work in groups and explain things to eachother. The month before the test, I was taking 1-2 tests a week just to make sure my score range was where I wanted it to be.

Ok I know thats a lot but I hope it helps. Overall, find a way where you can learn the info and teach it to someone else whether it be in a formal setting or just in a study group.

PS=11 VR=10 WS=R BS=13 Composite=34R

PS: studied the concepts. practice questions. I'm disappointed by my performance in this section so I won't comment further.
VR: EK101, Kaplan VR...lots of thinking into each question
BS: EK1001 helped a lot. It solidified easy questions (2 of which showed up on mine...almost word for word!) and I made sure to go through every freaking question and write out why each answer was correct or incorrect, no matter how tedious it was...btw, Genetics + Molecular Bio = full of win on the real test. >50% was that stuff, another passage was on cell biology (which I was taking in school!) and another on physiology (which I winged) and one on orgo.

Examkrackers
Kaplan
AAMC

AAMC 3-10
Kaplan FLs...the earlier bunch. I can't remember.

Biochemistry

I think it really helps out your GPA AND MCAT to seriously do well in prereq classes. If you're going to get an A in the class...try for an A+! Sure it makes you look like an anal premed, but not only does it make your transcript look prettier but you have a more solid foundation for future classes (upper divs). And take hard teachers...It makes you try harder and focus more on the task at hand. I regret that I blew off physics quite a LOT and I guess my foundations weren't strong enough while I was studying (I felt like I was dying) and during the actual test. :\

Verbal blows. We all know it.
I was confident in my writing since I used to write a lot so I didn't practice for this section (ok...maybe once, because I needed to make sure I got timing down.)
Genetics, molecular bio were lifesavers on this test.

1.5 months...3 weeks of ~8 hrs/day, 7 days a week; 4 weeks (school started) of 2 hrs/day on weekdays, 5 hrs/day on weekends.

THANKS GUYS FOR HELPING ME OUT. This is my present to you all :D

I always wanted to post on this thread haha.
13P, 12B, 10V....35S

For physical science and bio I used the TPR materials. They were awesome, especially the physical sciences book. The bio section was a little over-detailed as has been mentioned on this forum, but can too much info really be a bad thing?!

For verbal I thought the TPR verbal passages were the closest thing to the actual aamc test although they were much harder. I personally DO NOT recommend exam krackers verbal 101. I did the 101 passages, all 14 tests, and did not think they were an accurate reflection of the aamc material. They weren't bad, I just didn't think they were as good as the TPR material.

I also took the TPR prep course....the teachers were all awesome (5 separate teachers for each section)....BUT the scheduling was aweful! Some weeks we would get the schedule the day we were supposed to have class. And also for O-chem we didn't start learning it until the month before the test, when the class had started 4 months ago. Overall I would recommend TPR review.

I also bought the entire set of exam kracker materials (the coursework books, not the passages books) thinking I would need extra practice, but I never got around to using all of it (only did physics). From what I did see in physics I was not that impressed.

Mentioned above

4) Which practice tests did you use? (scores listed in order of bio, phy, verb)

TPR 1 10 4 7 <----- look at the 4 in phys.... dont be discouraged, diags dont mean too much, I ended getting 13-14 on phys by the end.

TPR 2 9 9 7
TPR 3 9 8 8
TPR 4 11 9 9
TPR 5 10 10 11
TPR 6 11 10 11
TPR 7 13 13 7
TPR 9 11 13 8
AAMC 3 10 11 9
TPR 8 11 12 7
AAMC 4 11 12 10
AAMC 5 12 13 9
AAMC 6 12 11 12
AAMC 10 13 14 8
AAMC 7 12 14 8
AAMC 8 13 13 10
AAMC 9 11 14 9

Business Economics

If you take a prep course, read the assigned reading before to class, take good notes in class, and then immediately after class do the assigned practice passages. Also take note of EVERYTHING you miss on each homework problem or practice test and keep track of it. By the end I had separate study sheets for each section. On the sheets I just listed things I commonly forgot or got wrong.

Also do as many practice tests as you can, I would say its about 40% knowing the test, 60% understand the material (not memorizing)
I recommend going into studying for the test with the mindset your only going to take it once and leaving it all on the table while your studying. Limit the nights you go out, and really buckle down, that way you don't have to go through the studying process again. The day before the test be able to say to yourself.."there's nothing more I would study if I had any extra time"
I took it on 1/31/09 and started studying on 10/1/08. I studied everyday on average of 4-7 hours depending on how much school work I had. During winter break I took a test once every two days, or once every three days. And then the four weeks up to the test I just took one test a week.

Last edited:
I realize that some of the stuff I say below may be vague. Please please please PM me if you have more specific questions. I want to help everyone with this beast. :D

PS 14
VR 11
WS Q
BS 15

Total: 40Q

For PS and BS, I read and highlighted and reread and made notecards from the Princeton Review Hyperlearning books that I got from a friend. I did some of the PR practice questions, but they weren't my fave. I felt they weren't like the AAMC ones. But it was good experience anyway.

For VR, I did like 5 TPR passages. Other than the AAMC tests, that was all my preparation.

I didn't take a course because I felt that I could use my time more efficiently on my own. One of the most annoying things for me is when someone else doesn't get a concept and the teacher spends a lot of time explaining it. So I taught myself.

Only TPR and AAMC practice tests (wait... I took some of Barron's practice tests... but they weren't very good)

AAMC 3: 9, 11, 11 - 31
Kaplan free test: 11, 12, 12 - 35
Barron's: 12, 12, 12 - 36
Barron's: 11, 13, 12 - 36
AAMC 5: 11, 13, 12 - 36
AAMC 6: 10, 13, 13 - 36
AAMC 7: 10, 13, 11 - 34
AAMC 4: 12, 13, 10 - 35
AAMC 8: 11, 14, 12 - 37
AAMC 9: 13, 13, 11 - 37
AAMC 10: 12, 12, 9 - 33

Mathematics, minors in Bio, Chem, and Business

Be confident, push yourself (but not too much). Don't get too discouraged by a bad score (my 33 2 days before the test almost killed my confidence). Take deep breathes during the test. Focus. Go through quickly the first time, and give yourself time to double and triple check everything. You DO NOT want to have to guess on anything without seeing the question. As much as you want to stare at a question for awhile because you think you're almost there, don't. Jot down a few notes, and move on. You'll still remember everything when you come back.

I studied from August to early October. Stopped because school was too much. During that time, I probably put in an hour or two each day (or every other day is I was being lazy). It was very non-stressed. Over the Winter Break, I studied probably 3 to 4 hours for about 3 weeks. I just read and reread. When school started again, I dedicated my time to practice tests and review. So I'd spend probably 4 hours a day on it when I could take a test. If not, maybe an hour or two.

GOOD LUCK to everyone who still has to take this mother. Just don't freak. It's just another standardized test. No biggie, right?? ;)

Last edited:
PS 13
VR 12
WS P
BS 15

Total: 40P

As a philosophy major, I had to teach myself a lot of BS concepts that I hadn't had the opportunity to be exposed to in classes. I used EK Bio and Kaplan. Basically, I went through the books about twice, focusing on areas I was weak in and answering all practice questions.

VR- Nothing. I read a lot of technical stuff in my major so didn't stress about this section.

PS- Mainly Kaplan, with some EK. Same strategy as BS. I did less content review for this section than for any other. Instead, I focused on doing various practice problems over and over again.

Listed above. EK is great for Bio and Orgo, not so great for Physics/Gen Chem.

I have a weird practice test schedule, because I was originally planning to tackle the beast in August of '08 but quickly realized January was the way to go.

Gold Standard #1 9, 8, 10 - 27 (May '08)
AAMC 3: 11, 10, 11 - 32 (May '08)
Kaplan Diag: 13, 10, 11 - 34 (June '08)
Kaplan FL #1: 11, 11, 11 - 33 (July '08)
PR Free Test: 9, 9, 11 - 29 (Dec '08) - I got sooo scared!!
AAMC 4: 12, 11, 11- 34 (Dec '08)
AAMC 7: 12, 12, 11 - 35 (Jan '08)

Philosophy

DON'T KILL YOURSELF WITH CONTENT REVIEW. The amount of raw facts you will end up having to know when test day comes is not large at all. Focus on applying the concepts to strange situations. The MCAT is all about taking a simple concept and twisting it into something unfamiliar.

I studied inconsistently from May-Dec '08, on average about 2-3 hours a week. Then, during Winter Break, I cracked down hardcore and studied about 8 hrs daily. For me, the key was not over-stressing myself with endless studying and practice tests. Many people swear by studying 6 hrs a day for 3 months but I know that would not have worked well for me. I think one reason I jumped so high above my practice average on the real thing was that I gave myself a one week break from everything MCAT- related and focused on enjoying life.

- Good luck to all who have yet to take this thing. As others have said, its just another test :thumbup:

Last edited:
AMAZING scores on above posts haha. But i promised i would post one in the shadows of these two 40s since everyone has different experiences and hopefully someone will relate to mine.

PS 13
VR 10
WS R
BS 12

Total: 35R

TPR all the way. the hyperlearning science book is GREAT, the questions in that book are a little harder then the real thing but it makes you really comfortable taking the MCAT after having drilled in the concepts by doing the thousands of problems present in that book.

Bio: I'm a nontrad, majored in nursing. Weirdly enough nursing did help me on my Bio human physio department, so i didn't have to spend as much time there. even for a 12 though i needed 2 weeks of pure review of molecular, genetics (most of which i was learning for the first time), and some ochem. Human physio is really important, i think on my first diag i got a 10 on bio with no studying and no background with genetics or most of the molecular bio. Learn it from the books, and do plenty of questions so you really understand what is happening, when it is happening and what is adventagous of the pathways in which things happen.

PS: PS was my evil bane, but it ended up being my highest score. I personally think it was due to sweat sweat sweat. i believe PS is the EASIEST section to improve on (a lot of people echo that) so if you really want a 30+, put a lot into PS as it can give you an extra point or so with the extra studying. Bio is the next easiest to increase and VR is very hard to increase by much. My first PS diag was *drum roll* a 4!, i took another one two weeks later because i thought it coulda been a fluke... and i got a 4!... two weeks later took it again and got a 6!, all of a sudden when i finished TPR books and did all the questions related to the different concepts my scores exponentially increased to 11-12's constantly. Basically it isn't impossible if you have the determination, and don't get discouraged if you keep scoring low in PS in the begining just finish your content review and do problems along the way. of all my MCAT studying i would say PS accounted for 60-70% of the time, and it seems to have paid off. Remember calculations are important, learn how to do basic algebra and easily work with exponents.

Verbal, just did verbals on my diagnostic, i did 4 of the EK FL tests, then gave it up after i noticed my scores weren't moving. Timing was key for me, once i got my timing down my verbal scores balanced out, during the test i was thrown by the first passage but it was ok in the end im completely satisfied by my 10.

TPR, i did 4 FL EK verbal

TPR 5 diags and the 8 AAMC = 13 full lengths = :eek: by the end i was kinda burning out.

I started out with a 22.. two weeks later got another 22... then maybe moved to a 26 a month and a half later then all of a sudden jumped up to low 30's a month after that in which i had finished my content review. The reason why finishing content review is so important to get a true guage of how you would do is because you don't want to throw away any easy give away questions that you just hadn't reviewed. i think the mcat is a number game and by doing a full content review you are maximizing the amount of questions you can get correct... after that it is just tweeking your test taking skills and working on your weak areas only. i was scoring between 33-35 consistently by the time i was taking the MCAT and got lucky that i got my high end. I think there is a matter of luck- for example: i think i could have scored a 33 or 34 probably just as easily but also probably could have done a 36- the difference was probably 1 or 2 guesses, but you want to minimizing by how much that "luck" adds to your test experience by working hard. And beable to use process of elimination which your content review will help you with as well.

Nursing

Do content review if you aren't familiar with the concepts presented in your first diag, do questions questions questions as you do your content review.. otherwise you won't get as much as you can out of it.

3.5 months, around mid Dec. I really buckled down and every free minute i had. I cut back work to 24 hours a week in order to do this, sucking up my PTO :mad: hahaha just joking in all reality it was TOTALLY WORTH IT :thumbup:

BEST of luck, don't get discouraged this test is doable with hard work and a "bit" of sweat... and maybe a tear (the 4's in PS tore me down) but i recovered and nailed them later.

I'm the "triumph over adversity" story. I had to take this beast three times to get the PS score I wanted, because I did really badly in that section the first two times. My verbal and bio scores went down a bit on that last round, but I'm happy anyway.

Test #1 (7/08) 30S: 7 PS 12 VR 11 BS
Test #2 (8/08) 31S: 7 PS 13 VR 11 BS
Test #3 (1/09) 33R: 12 PS 11 VR 10 BS

For the first and second MCATs, I used the Kaplan online materials and practice tests, supplemented by the EK books. I found Kaplan best for PS and bio, but EK was FAR better for verbal. In fact, Kaplan's verbal materials are so bad that I started doing much better on the section after I stopped using them!

I spent 2 months straight studying intensively for the first MCAT (10-12 hours per day, 7 days a week). I went through the entire Kaplan course, including the topical and subject tests, in every subject except verbal. Before the exam, I took 2 Kaplan and 4 AAMC practice tests, and I was averaging 35's on them (about 10 PS 13 VR 12 BS). I felt prepared and confident going into my first MCAT.

Obviously, the real test turned out to be very different than I'd expected. The PS section was crushingly hard, with many difficult passages testing concepts not appearing on any of the practice exams, such as torque. I more or less panicked, blew my time management and ran out of time with 8 or 9 questions still blank--not even enough time to guess the answers. In retrospect, I should have voided, but I didn't have the presence of mind to do this at the time.

I signed up for a retake only 2 days after the first exam and started studying immediately. I concentrated on PS drills to improve my speed, and thought that I had things pretty well under control by the second test. I had taken another 10 practice exams and was again scoring consistently in the 34-36 range.

The second MCAT felt a lot easier than the first, and I was cruising along in the PS section for most of it, but then I got stuck on a hard passage near the end, looked up and realized I was running out of time again! This time I left only 4 questions blank, which I thought would be an improvement, but I was shocked when I ended up with a 7 AGAIN. (The harder curve must have offset any progress I'd made from finishing more questions.)

By the third MCAT, I knew I had to do something different. I bought the Berkeley Review books* for physics and chem and drilled myself day and night on hard physics problems. (I didn't even end up opening the chem books, but that didn't bother me because I'm a lot stronger in chem than physics.) I had to train myself NOT to do all the calculations for a problem, but to zero in on the answer using guesstimation techniques and process of elimination. And I had to get a feel for when it was time to stop working on a problem and just guess, in order to conserve time.

I did all the problems and chapter tests in the BR books, and also did their 3 online CBT practice tests. I was consistently scoring 10's and 11's on BR's PS sections by the time I took the third MCAT.

The third time around, I lucked out and got a very easy test. (I was really nervous about what that would do to the curve, but it worked out to my advantage in PS, where I really needed it.) I was able to stay right on track with my pacing in PS, and finished all the questions with 20 seconds to spare. I knew I had done pretty well when I finished the section, but I had no idea I'd go all the way up to a 12.

In the end, I didn't score the 35 that I felt I was capable of, but it didn't really bother me. It was just a relief to prove that I wasn't some kind of cretin in the PS section.

3) Practice test scores:

AAMC

#5 11 PS-12 VR-13 BS/36
#6 10-13-13/36
#7 10-13-11/34
#8 11-13-11/35
#9 11-12-12/35
#10 13-11-11/35

Kaplan

#3 10-13-12/35
#4 12-11-12/35
#6 9-14-12/35
#7 9-13-13/35
#8 10-15-9/34
#9 9-14-11/34

4) What was your undergraduate major?
Literature, but that hardly counts because it was over 20 years ago (I'm really old). I also have an MBA, and had just finished a postbacc program before taking the MCAT.

5) Any other tips?
The real MCAT is considerably harder than the AAMC tests, especially in the PS section.
This was a shock, because I thought the AAMC's would be most representative of the real thing. Regardless, it's the truth. The Kaplan practice exams were somewhat harder than the real thing, especially in PS; these were helpful preparation for the real test. So are the BR exams.

The MCAT is a crapshoot, both content-wise and difficulty-wise, so you have to be prepared for anything. My first MCAT was very physics-heavy (I'd say about 70%), while the second and third were much closer to 50-50 physics and chem. But two days after my first MCAT, they gave a test that was almost all chem, and I would have ruled on that. Luck of the draw.

Similarly, some MCATs (like the first one I took) are mind-blowingly, painfully hard, while others are easy. Despite what they say about the curve compensating for this, I don't think it totally does. Regardless, you have to deal with it.

Never leave questions blank. If you are forced to, void your test. Guess wildly if you have to in order to finish the whole section, but if you left more than a single question blank, void. Blanks are marked wrong, and have a devastating impact on your score. In many cases, missing a single question can push you down a whole numerical score. And don't think the curve will bail you out, because it probably won't.

Nerves are half the battle. Get control of yours. In addition to test prep and mental relaxation exercises, I took beta blockers before the second and third MCATs to help keep me from panicking. This really helped.

6) How long did you study for the MCAT? More than any human being should have to: 3 months hell-for-leather for first 2 MCATs (>500 hours total), then about 1 month of studying (about 4 hours per day) for the third time.

Don't despair! You can slay this beast before it slays you. :D

*Please do not ask to buy my BR books. They are not for sale, as I promised them to a friend.

Last edited:
1) PS=12 VR=9 WS=P BS=12 Composite=33P

2)PS: PR hyperlearning and ExamKrackers review books. Went through the review books but spent more time doing practice problems using Nova Physics, PR science workbook, and EK 30 minute tests. For this section, practice, practice, practice!

VR: EK all the way. Used their strategy and did all the EK101 verbal passages.

WS: found a good sample essay online and just modeled mine after it.

BS: EK review books. Did the EK1001 q's in biology. Did practice passages out of the PR science workbook.

3) See above

4) Did PR online diagnostics and all the AAMCs (3-10)

5) Human Biology

6) Set a schedule and stick to it, otherwise you will fall severely behind. If you've recently taken most of the prereq courses, then you don't need to spend too much time reviewing old concepts. Go through the review books once just to refresh your memory and get the basic concepts down. After that, practice. Do as many practice problems as you can under timed conditions. It is important that you time yourself so you get used to that pressure you will feel on test day. Review the problems you get wrong and the ones you get right. Master all your weak areas because the weak concepts tend to show up on test day (funny how that works). Don't spend too much time reviewing the things your strong at, just make sure you master your weak areas first. Do practice problems/passages until you've gotten the handle on most topics. Start doing your practice exams afterwards, but save the AAMCs for last! Give yourself at least 2 weeks to do the AAMCs (this is probably the most important step). For every single practice exam, try to take it on the same day and time you will on the real deal. Develop a routine that you will do on test day also. Averaging all your AAMC scores will give you the most accurate predictor of what you will get on the real thing so you should treat them seriously. Make sure to review every single problem and to fix all your mistakes and weaknesses. Only go back to your review books if you need to brush up on a weak area. The only time I ever reviewed all the necessary equations were the night before each practice test. Your last practice exam should be only a few days before the real thing. This will make it seem like another day at work, and it will be routine for you. Go in the testing center with a sense of confidence and relaxation. While you're sitting in your testing booth, clear your thoughts and remember all the hard work you've put into this. Use the same strategy you've been doing on the practice exams and don't change anything. The real test will most likely be harder than the AAMCs but no matter what, stay calm and focused. I thought of funny things to keep me relaxed, but do whatever works for you. After the test, forget about it because otherwise you will be distracted from your regular schoolwork or other important things you need to be focused on. Celebrate and be happy it's over. If you don't get the score you want, don't be depressed. So many people have to retake this beast and end up doing much better. Relax the day before the exam by not studying, and get a good nights rest. Good luck and study smart! Hook'em! :)

7) 3-4 months

it would be greatly appreciated if anyone who recently used the TBR books can comment on them

it would be greatly appreciated if anyone who recently used the TBR books can comment on them

You're not going to get many responses. EK is a company that markets it's products. Kaplan and TPR need no explanation. You can purchase them on amazon. TBR is a small company that caters to Cali kids. Consequently, you're not going to get very many people.

Do a search on a couple people. One is yomc, just do a search for him he's easy to find. The other is dobbysamosa. They both got 39s but remember they're both Cal kids so they're brilliant to begin with.

PS=12 VR=9 WS=Q BS=11 Composite=32Q

PS: I content reviewed and did practice passages for the first 3 months using Berkeley Review Books. TPR workbook for the last 3 months.

BS: Did EK 101 passages. Finished that in a month. TBR workbook for last 3 months.

VR: EK 101. Got constant 7 in all my AAMC. Read Aristotle for the last 2 weeks in the library for 3 hrs/day. Pull a lucky 9 on the real thing.

3) What materials you used for each section?

PS: TPR workbook and TBR (books + 9 CBT + 2 paper tests offered only to their students)

TBR CBT 1-9 and Paper test 11, 12; AAMC 3-10

5) What was your undergraduate major? Biological Science

Here's the story. I gave myself 6 months of preparation (July 2008- Jan 2009). The first 3 months of preparation was basically taking The Berkeley Review course, and it's great for content review. I got all their books and read and did every passage for Gchem and Physics. EK101 for Bio. On November, I took AAMC 3 and got a depressing 24 (PS: 8, VR: 7, BS 9). The flaw in my studying was I was reading every section of the book and doing the 10 passages afterwards. It's good and all until 3 weeks later when I forget the material I learned. Thus, I stop all content review after taking AAMC 3 and start doing practice passages everyday.

I stopped Berkeley Review books (during my preparation in order to save the passages for later), and start doing Princeton Review Workbook. One key thing about this book is they randomized every topic, which is good compared to Berkeley where they have 10 passages on the same topic every section, which doesn't give you that MCAT randomness. Furthermore, it keeps drilling you with the same questions over and over again (i.e. beta emission, specific gravity, bouyancy, anode is oxidized, etc.)

As most of you know, the princeton workbook has tons of passages from each section. So, each day, I do 10 passages total (5 Gchem + 5 Ochem) or (5 Bio + 5 Physics) everyday. The secret to this method is you get exposed to the Physical Science and Biological Science section everyday in a random topic format. I also timed myself 7min/passage. Review errors and move on. That's my schedule from M-F. On Sat, I take a CBT. On Sun, review CBT. Do this for 3 months and my PS jump from 8->12. BS from 9->11.

Practice scores jump from 24 -> 29-32

By the end of my preparation, I can read a science passage and know which questions I am going to be asked on. Moreover, I did so many practice passages that before I begin a practice test, I imagine that I'm going to be tested on 3 Gchem (electrochem, solubility, stoichiometry) and 4 Physics (Boyuancy, Kinematics, Potential Energy, etc.) + Optics and Specific gravity discretes. In other words, I was making up the topics on which I am gonna be tested on. PS became my action-packed adventure game for the last 3 months of MCAT prep.

I cannot comment on VR other than keep reading hard material and keep doing practice tests. Kept a log of all my mistakes and comments.

In case anybody is interested in writing section, the day before the test, I looked on wikipedia to find some important historical dates and examples (Hitler, Yosemite Park, atomic bomb, etc.) During my essay section, I also used some stats and relevant information from the VR passages for supporting and counterexamples. It works!

6 Months Total. First 3 months was mediocre practice and content review, last 3 months hardcore practice passages and tests.

I wrote this for another member on the forum, so I figure I might as well post it here:

Score: 43R (PS-15, V-15, BS-13) - screenshot is somewhere in the 1/31/09 MCAT thread.
First time I got a 35R (PS-12, V-9, BS-14) due to some peculiar circumstances and retook a few months later.

Firstly, I'd like to say that I had a bit of luck and manage to find the optimal way of studying &#8211; I believe it's a bit different for everyone, depending on how they performed in undergraduate courses. I had summer break to study (~1-4 hours a day), so I'll try to summarize my strategies, and hopefully they will help you or a friend of yours:

1. Since I did decently well on my undergraduate courses, I didn't sign up for a prep course. I knew I could better use my time reviewing my weaker subjects (i.e. verbal and o-chem) without having to learn the basics in physical sciences, my strength.
  2. Generally, I did not use any test-prep books or practice exams because they force you to memorize so many extraneous details that never show up, and they are not reflective of the real test's difficulty at all. Only read/skim through a prep book if you feel like you're rusty all around.
  3. I bought the 6 AAMC practice exams online and took them all as a 'diagnostic.' These should accurately cover ~95% of everything that could show up and give you a sense of timing and depth of questions.
  4. If you underperformed in optics or forgot what aldol condensations are, just read the chapter in the textbook and make 2-3 notes on the topic &#8211; for o-chem, don't always try to memorize too many mechanisms, I think recognizing reagents and conditions is more important to finding the endpoint.
  5. You can notice that certain passages (without much data) require minimal reading, which allows for more time to answer the questions.
  6. By the end you should have a few pages of 'points/concepts to memorize' for each major subject (e.g. biology, o-chem, physics, etc)
  7. For physiology, take it system by system and parse down the amount of info to memorize. For the digestive system, for example, just have a sense of where each nutrient is digested and the 5-6 different hormones. For the nervous system, remember the parts of a neuron, how polarization-depolarization works, and how a synapse works. For muscular system, just remember the handful of structures (h-,a-, i- bands) and the four steps of contraction between troponin/actin/tropomyosin/myosin. And so on, such that you don't have to know everything, just what shows up on the AAMC tests.
  8. Repeat steps 3-5. I know some people don't like retaking practice tests, but I think it's okay. Your score better start increasing or else you're not reviewing or memorizing those notes well enough. After all, if you're well-prepared, taking the real MCAT should be like retaking AAMC Test #3 for the fifth time.
  9. After each time you finish taking AAMC tests #3-9, make more notes and be sure you're not missing the same things. Hopefully your list is shrinking at this point. By the time I took these tests for the fourth time, I typically 13-15 on each section and had only one page of notes for each major section.
  10. Be sure to replicate real test conditions with timing, a quiet environment, and completing every section in one test or section. Mental endurance is crucial &#8211; it's one of the things you have control over during the test... like training for a marathon.
  11. Keep your notes. When I decided to retake, I could get into good shape in 4 weeks just by rereading the notes I made and retaking a few practice tests online.
As for verbal, I used a similar strategy:

1. Repeatedly take the AAMC tests since they are reflective of how hard the real test will be. You'll be ready when timing isn't an issue (3-4 minutes to read a passage and 4 minutes to answer the questions), and you start getting 13-15. If you still get low scores after taking it the second or third time, try a different strategy for time management. When I was trying to figure it out, I'd try reading really quickly or slowly; This part is largely trial-and-error for each person I believe, but your score better begin improving.
  2. Remember, there's only four choices to the question, and usually two are nonsensical. The information is in a short passage, try referring back to the relevant parts of the passage.
  3. Believe that it is possible to get a perfect score as long as you read quickly and carefully enough.
  4. Doing Examcrackers once in a while isn't bad, but just don't be disheartened by the low scores - for the sake of morale, I avoided these leading up to the test date.
I am an immunology major, so I was hoping for some freebies, but it asked tons of 'tricky' questions on the nervous and excretory system, which can't be helped. Good luck with your test!

I want to take EK this summer, study a bit while taking microbiology and physiology and then take another prep course "Romano" in February for the April MCATS. I'm worried if i'll forget the summer material although i'll be reviewing it throughout the fall and winter.

Any suggestions or warnings?

Two prep courses seems a bit unnecessary. I think there's definitely a diminishing marginal return on number of prep courses.

However, for me, it ended up being that for all the time I initially thought mcat prep would take, it actually took three times that amount. That being the case, I would advice starting early and reviewing later rather than starting later and finding out that you didn't allot yourself enough time to study (which is what happened for me).

Last edited:
Beren--Please tell me you had a 2.0 GPA or something--that would balance out the world. My gosh, a 43. Congrats.

Last edited:
PS=12 VR=11 WS=M BS=10 Composite=33M

When I started I really had know idea what I was doing or what to expect...

PS: Started off with content review.
Reviewed the MCAT topics provided by the AAMC here: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/preparing/pstopics.pdf
Did Kaplan online tutorials. Used flash cards to help remember equations and such.

BS: Again started off with the AAMC MCAT topics. Reviewed my orgo text and the kaplan orgo review book. Used the GS book a little in the beginning before I got the kaplan stuff.

VR: Practiced.. Didnt do much other than do it on the practice tests. I also completed a few VR sections without doin the rest of the test.

I self-studied for the exam.
I used old Gold Standard books from my local library.
I also used all the kaplan course review books and online workshops. (I got these from a friend about 2 weeks before I took the actual test)
Reviewed my old gen chem, orgo, and physics books to refresh concepts.
Practiced writing sample maybe once... Kinda regret that one.

Kaplan and AAMC
Not really sure which ones anymore, but I did about 5 or 6.
Scores ranged from 28 to 34.

None really. I actually did two years of pre-pharm courses and started pharmacy school. (it was a 0-6 program out of highschool). I took the exam after my 5th year of school, right before I started my pharmacy rotations.

My only regret about the test was that it had been so long since I had taken courses like chem and o-chem when I took the test. I think I would have had a much earsier time with it if the material was fresh in my mind. Organic was especially hard for me to remember.

About 3 and a half weeks. My last final last spring was on a friday and started studying the following Monday. I made a full time job of it. Usually did 8:30AM - 7PM in the library until my test date. In retrospect, I should have started earlier, but it was nice to have a couple of weeks that I could totally devote to the MCAT.

Good luck everyone!

PS=12 VR=10 WS=Q BS=13 Composite=35Q

Biology: TPR Biological Sciences Review book was incredible for this section, because as you are going through the material, they include MCAT style questions, that are based on the material you just read (like an MCAT passage) - a lot of them can be tricky also, but it teaches you how to think for the real deal.

Not to praise EK too much, but I had never taken any physiology course prior to the MCAT prep - and I was able to teach myself physiology using EK Audio Osmosis alone, during walks, before going to bed, taking the bus, things I did outside of my TPR book prep. By the time I got to the physiology section of TPR, it was mere review. Ah, what a summer that was - hearing the cheesy music and lame jokes brings me back in time, lol. Using Audio Osmosis was helpful b/c it offered a different approach toward studying - so instead of reading, I would listen, and it prevented me from burning out.

The TPR BS book does have quite a bit more information than is necessary, however, I felt that this was essential if you need to relearn everything from scracth - the EK books are too condensed and are more suited for those needing a review, not to relearn. For instance, if you've never taken the introductory chem, bio, etc before, you'll be lost with EK - TPR provides just the right amount of background.

In the final two weeks - I used EK BIO to review the entire biology section, which was important b/c it focuses on the absolute essential concepts and material you will need to know for the MCAT. Highly recommended for a focused review.

Orgo: TPR was 100% hands-down, incredible. Use it, study it, memorize. Again, I used EK AO to help reinforce important concepts.

Physics: TPR Physical Sciences Review - again, it had been 4 years since I had taken general chemistry and 3 years for physics, I was learning it anew and TPR explained everything really well. In fact, I wished I had a hold of these books while I was doing the undergrad courses! lol. EK AO was alright for physics, I mostly used it to learn something that I didn't quite understand from TPR.

Gen Chem: TPR again, was amazing.

Verbal: I used the EK method of reading for the main idea. I used EK 101 but only did about 4 tests - mostly for timing practice. The AAMC tests were much better practice.

Writing Sample: I used SDN, random threads regarding it. Read the examples of good answers included in the AAMC materials, and just practiced here and there for it. I did around 5 prompts in total.

See above

AAMC (all of them). That's it. You don't need to practice any more than that.

Biology

It really comes down to practice and understanding how the MCAT works, the types of questions it asks and how to answer them.

Buying every single AAMC practice tests that is offered is essential - and practicing them under timed conditions is also essential. You need to develop a good strategy in terms of timing, knowing when to guess and move on, etc.

For TPR users - using the Science Workbook is AMAZING for reinforcing concepts, practicing MCAT style questions (ie. some questions, there can only be one right answer due to logic, even if it appears to be a calculation question, etc. Stuff like this that you'd learn from using the TPR books will save you time on the test). I didn't do them all, but I did a lot of them. The practice questions in the review books are essential - they mimic question types (including how to reason your way to the answer) on the real MCAT.

Re: Courses - I was enrolled in one and after the first day I knew it was going to be a waste of money. The teachers aren't necessarily going to be helpful. What is helpful is learning the concepts, learning the types of questions and how to think, reason, etc your way to the answer, and things that you 100% must memorize for the MCAT (ie. strong acids and strong bases) <------ this is what the TPR books will do. If you can be disciplined and stick to a schedule, there is no need to take a course b/c they regurgitate what's in the book (sometimes in a way that will even confuse you).

Overall what you need:

1. Prep materials from Princeton Review (I've seen Kaplan's stuff and they're not as good for people who need to relearn stuff).

2. EK Audio Osmosis or Kaplan Flashcards - something that you can look at while on the bus, taking a walk, having a coffee, etc.

3. Official AAMC practice tests (all of them)

4. Focus and dedication

For the first 6 weeks, I went hardcore and did 10am - 12am days with about 4 hours of that for breaks, food, walks, etc. Monday to friday (I worked part-time too, so not always 10am to 12am). For the last 3 weeks or so, I spend less time studying, and more time doing AAMC tests.

Just light review for the final week and two AAMC tests.

Last edited:
PS = 10 VR= 10 BS = 12 WS = R Composite = 32R

PS = I used EK's Physics, EK 1001 Physics, and MCAT Physics book by Biehle for additional practice and review. EK was my main source and I supplemented here and there with Biehle. Most of the formulas were fresh because I had just got done with Physics I/II. However, learning the concepts is what really matters for the MCAT and EK did a fine job with it.

BS = I had solid background here becuase I had taken Endocrinology (HUGE help), Anatomy & Physiology, Genetics, Microbiology (again, HUGE help), and Biochemistry during my junior/senior year. I basically reviewed the material with EK.

VR = EK and Kaplan VR books. Practice, practice, practice. You really can't study for this one except just keep practicing.

WS = Looked over AAMC samples. Did not practice writing any prompts because it was going to be a waste of my time. For me, winging this section was really my strategy (and it worked....a R)

EK study package and 1001 series for all of them. Supplemented PS with MCAT Physics book by Biehle, AAMC writing samples to get an idea about writing prompts, and some of my old undergrad notes for Organic/Biochem.

EK, AAMC, & Kaplan. Started the practice test about 3 weeks before the exam. That way I could figure out where I needed some more review (turned out to be Organic and Mechanics for PS).

Biology. As mentioned above, I had a solid background in upper division science classes which really made a difference.

99.9% of test takers know the content. MCAT tests the concepts more than mere facts so focus heavily on understanding the why and the how of the topics. You don't have to go in-depth with each topic though. I think EK does an excellent job of summarizing the concepts and it also tells you exactly what you will need to know for the MCAT.

VR tests your endurance more than anything though. I had some crazy long passages about art revolution in the 1600s and how it tied with the Italian politics. But I got through it, and so can you.

Look at it this way: Those 5 hours of test taking pretty much determines where you will end up at medical school. Why would you not take advantage of those 5 hours to really give it your best shot? Why would you sit there and whine and moan about how hard the test is? You will have all the time in the world to do that AFTER the test is over!! In those 5 hours, FOCUS on the one thing that stands between you and your acceptance to your dream medical school. Don't let it get in your way!!

Started second week of May, and my exam was in second week of July so roughly 7 weeks. (took it easy the last week...did maybe 3-4 practice tests that last week).

PS = 9 VR= 11 BS =10 WS = M Composite = 30M

PS - For both physics and chemistry I made my own flashcards with a question on the front (what is the formula for ____?) and then the answer on the back. Then I just used them to hammer home just the formula.

BS - I'm a biology major and I had just finished with my organic lectures the semester before so I really did not study much for this section.

VR - Practice, practice, practice. I got the EK 101 passages book which I swear by. It gave passages that were extremely close to both the AAMC passages and the actual MCAT passages.

I asked for and got the entire EK package for Christmas, but I noticed quite quickly that it was lacking in explanations. I am the type of person that learns by example, so if you show me a formula, I learn better if I see it in action (which numbers go where). I quickly realized that I would need to supplement the physics and chemistry books with my old textbooks. Don't misunderstand me, I enjoyed the books and I think that they helped a lot, but I was glad that I still had my old textbooks. I did not follow the schedule that is posted on their website; I just didn't have the time.

I used AAMC tests 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10. However, the MCAT that I saw was not like those practice tests. The PS section was impossible, and BS was more like a second VR section. The VR section, strangely enough, was pretty straightforward.

Biology with a minor in chemistry.

Understanding of the material that is covered is essential, as is making sure that you give yourself enough time to study completely all of said material. If you're the type of person that needs to be kept on a set schedule, take a structured class. Make sure you play to your strengths and that you understand your weaknesses(and then take the time to correct those weaknesses) before stepping foot into that testing room.

I started in mid-January and my test was in late March, so ~ 2.5 months.

Maybe nobody cares, but I did well enough this time around that I thought it warranted sharing. I wrote the August 2005 MCAT and got a 32M (this was summer before my senior year).

Physical 11
Biology 13
Verbal 13
Writing R
(37R)

PS&BS: I used the TPR "Cracking the MCAT CBT" book and mapped out a few chapters each week for the duration of my study time. Made a spreadsheet that had them all planned out (Orgo, Bio, Physiology, Physics all in parallel), along with ancillary chapters from my college textbooks. I attached the spreadsheet that I made if anybody wants to see it.

I read each chapter and took notes in a big notebook, then went back through the notes and made a notecard for each fact or piece of information, equation, etc. that I wasn't extremely familiar with.
Such as:
What is DIBAL-H and what is it used for?
Summarize the Cannizzarro reaction.
What features do all chordates have in common?

You get the idea.

I ended up with a big stack of over 1000 cards. Then I would review the most recently made cards each week, then add them to the big stack and never be without a stack of notecards with me. I wait tables so when the restaurant was slow I would just pull them out and quiz myself or get someone else to do it.

After each practice test I identified which subjects were "low" areas (below 80%) and went back for a little more thorough review of those areas.

VR: Along with my content review I did 1 practice passage each week, as well as reading the sample essays. I could only afford to have 2 of my essays graded by TPR people, but their advice was helpful. My biggest piece of advice going from an M to an R on writing is DUMB DOWN YOUR ESSAY and make it fit into the cookie cutter that they ask for. TPR gives pretty good instructions on how to do this. Use very clear transition words. I started off trying to write essays that would actually be considered college level work and that is NOT the way to get a good writing score. :laugh:

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc
Princeton Review, plus my undergrad Orgo and Anatomy books.

Princeton Review book came with 5, I did AAMC 3 and bought one more AAMC. I panicked that my practice scores weren't high enough and that I needed to do another one.

Molecular/Microbiology and Psychology. I graduated in 2006.

Practice tests are key, take at least 5, maybe more if you are a poor test-taker. Be consistent with your studying, slow and steady will make the knowledge stick. Don't overload yourself, just do a few chapters each week but give yourself months to cover all of the info. If I can do it 3 years out of school then you can too!

6 months, about 10 hours a week.

Attachments

• MCAT study schedule.xlsx
    15.4 KB · Views: 672
Last edited:
I had a pretty unique MCAT experience:

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 37R - PS 15, VR 10, BS 12

2) The study method used for each section: I studied mostly for PS since I hadn't taken a physics or genchem course since hs. I just went through an old Princeton Review book twice and went over the concepts. For BS, I was pretty familiar with the material. All I did was just make flash cards of stuff that I had a tough time memorizing (like hormones and the parts of the brain) and went through them a few times. Didn't do anything for the Verbal except 3 practice exams.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc): I used my friend's old TPR textbooks. I did not take a prep course. Took a few AAMC practice exams.

4) Which practice tests did you use? Don't remember, but all AAMC.

5) What was your undergraduate major? Biochemistry, Business

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? 1) Don't stress out. Yes, the MCAT is huge, but it's not everything. I would highly recommend not committing a summer just to taking the MCAT. Do something productive while you study for the MCATs, such as research, an internship, voluteer work, or take a class. 2) There's no need to take a prep course if you're familiar with the material. The stuff on the MCAT is really pretty basic and if you have personal motivation, there's no need to spend that much time and money on having someone teach it to you again. 3) Get a good nights sleep and a good breakfast. I tried to go to bed four hours earlier than I usually did the night before my MCAT and ended up laying in bed unable to sleep and got 3 hours of sleep. Also, make sure you know what resturuants are near your testing location, so you don't end up eating McDonalds before your MCAT.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? I worked as an I-banking intern the summer I took my MCATs, so I had almost no time. I pretty much just looked over my flashcards on my subway ride to and from work and sometimes when there was some down time at work. On the weekends, I'd spend about 5-6 hours. So, probably about 8 hours a week for ten weeks. Then, I crammed for about 40 hours in the half week before the actual MCATs.

I'd be willing to answer any questions about my experience, especially about taking the MCAT w/o a prep course, so feel free to PM me.

Your individual scores and composite score
PS &#8211; 11
VR &#8211; 13
BS &#8211; 14
38 R

The study method used for each section

Biology: I know I got a 14 here, so some people might be expecting solid advice, but I have none. You can't underestimate the power of taking the core bio classes seriously. We were hit with a cladogram passage on our test administration, and what review book tells you how to read a cladogram? (Okay, it's admittedly not difficult. The length of the lines represents the time of evolution, but I had to dredge that reminder up from the depths of an organismal bio coures I took 2 years ago.) EK is fantastic review for bio. Mostly, I just spent waaaay too much time and effort on my undergrad core classes. If you get those down cold, you'll be good.

Orgo: I still haven't taken 2nd semester ochem yet, so I technically should have put more effort into this, but didn't feel like memorizing all those reactions would be the best use of my time when my Physical Sciences was so weak. The night before the MCAT, I went over the EK Orgo flashcards and still didn't know most of them. Still, I killed my 1st semester ochem class and had the basics down really well. Could've gotten seriously burned if there had been a passage about aldol condensation or whatever, but I just didn't care enough to do a decent prep for that. Clearly got lucky here.

Physics & Gen Chem: TBR, TBR, TBR!! EK is decent (I used both), but doesn't have enough practice material for you to see a benefit. I think there's a direct correlation between the hours you spend on PS, and your score. It's all just a question of doing enough practice problems (and obviously, spending some time understanding your incorrect answers.) I got 13s on most of my AAMC tests after using TBR. (Yeah, I know, I got an 11 on the real thing. I choked under pressure, I guess.)

Math is key and shouldn't be forgotten about just because most review books don't have a section on it. Have no shame about having forgotten simple math. We use calculators for so much that even though I wouldn't describe myself as bad at math (I got A's in both semesters of college calc, no problem), I *am* bad at doing simple math quickly with a pencil and paper! I didn't admit that to myself, and consequently it took me all of TBR Physics to understand that this was the thing that was holding me back in my score. I did enough practice problems, and it slowly came back. TBR has great quick math tips sprinkled all over the place, and those were always helpful.

Verbal:
Do a thorough post-game analysis on why you missed each verbal question. Here's the golden key to the verbal section: THE MCAT WRITERS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT.

No, I didn't agree with their answers 7/10 times I got a question wrong. I thought I was right and they were wrong, that it was all just completely subjective. When I talked to other people about verbal, they said the same thing. There was a real chance here that I could have listened to them, verified my feeling that the test is unfair, and given up. That attitude does you no good.

But the MCAT writers are always right. Why? Because they are the only people whose opinion matters. Yours doesn't. When you get a verbal question wrong, think about their correct answer and try to explain it to yourself until it makes sense. You should begin to start seeing a pattern and get an intuitive sense for how they want you to think. The MCAT writers are always right. Make it your VS mantra. Write it on a post-it and stick it to your computer.

Writing Sample: The morning of the test I logged onto the AAMC mcat site and read their sample essays. Then I checked what EK had to say about the format they recommend (thesis, antithesis, synthesis? I think that was it.) and that was it. I figured I'd wing it. The prompts on my actual test were nice and general, and I just supported the statements with interesting examples that I figured would probably be unique. (i.e. I used an example of the backwardness of the human visual system at one point, and Back To The Future [the movie] as well.)

Bio &#8211; EK (sort of. I didn't even go through all of their 30 minute tests, but I did read all of the material multiple times). It was great, I just didn't really feel the need to study it. I definitely support the conventional wisdom of using EK for Bio &#8211; I really loved how they presented the material, and the color, as lame as it sounds, is amazingly helpful. Their diagrams rock.

Ochem &#8211; EK. If I had been more concerned about the BS section, then I would have used TBR. Since I didn't feel like really LEARNING the mechanisms or reactions (instead just interested in memorizing them quickly so I could get some points on discretes), I felt EK did the job for me. I started studying Ochem 2 weeks before the MCAT and did kind of a lousy job. If I had had to retake, TBR Ochem would have been my first step.

PS &#8211; EK and TBR. EK got me from a diagnostic 8 to a consistent 10. TBR got me from the 10 to a consistent 13 (in the last 5 AAMC tests). TBR is golden. (Haha, that said, since my ACTUAL PS score was an 11, I can't blame anybody for raising an eyebrow on this one. All I can say is that it happens. I do believe my score would have been closer to an 8 or 9 if I had used just EK, for what it's worth.)

VR &#8211; owned both TBR verbal and EK verbal, cracked both of those books exactly once. (This was laziness, not confidence. I got 8s and 9s on the EK verbal practice tests. It was just too discouraging to do that and I felt PS was a bigger priority.)

I really just used the AAMC tests. TBR verbal has some great tips regarding logic, and after learning how the AAMC writers tend to want you to think, I have to agree that logic is super helpful.

I know we all think we're logical and are capable of logical thinking, but there's a reason that there are entire classes in Logic. It's complicated and systematic, and a skill worth learning. If I hadn't happened to do very well in verbal, I would probably reprep for this section while taking a logic class.

All AAMC tests. (PS/ VR/ BS)
#3: 9 / 10 / 9 (29)
#4: 10 / 12 / 13 (35)
#5: 10 / 13 / 10 (33)
--- at this point I switched from EK to TBR --
#6: 13 / 14 / 11 (38)
#7: 12 / 12 / 11 (35)
#8: 13 / 11 / 12 (36)
#10: 12 / 13 / 12 (37)
#9: 14 / 13 / 12 (39)

B.S. in cell biology.

OWN THE CONCEPTS. Integrate them. Be able to explain, using thermodynamics and equilibrium dynamics, why titrations work the way they do. Use a titration curve. Then use HCO3- buffering in blood.
Be able to explain, using a circuit diagram, why biochemists and physicists label poles oppositely in electrophoresis and batteries. Now do it again using a galvanic cell diagram. (TBR is really helpful for both of these 2 examples, by the way.)
The delta G equation that everyone hates memorizing is exactly the same equation as the Hasselbach-Henderson equation. Think about it. The HH equation is a special case of the delta G equation. Explain it to yourself, figure it out, and you'll always remember both of them.

The MCAT writers expect you to be able to apply the concepts in this way, so you might as well learn how. Besides, every time you integrate 2 concepts, that's 1 less thing you have to have memorized. (i.e., I don't have the Henderson-Hasselbach equation memorized, but it takes me less than 1 second to derive it by thinking about equilibrium dynamics.)

The MCAT writers also seem to purposefully make the list of required topics so long that you simply CANNOT memorize them all. You have to UNDERSTAND them. Sure, memorization of an equation will get you a point on a discrete, and that's enough to take you up to an 8 maybe. A 10 requires understanding, which is lucky because in the end, understanding those concepts is an easier task than memorizing them all. It just requires more creative study strategies than flashcards, that's all.

Haha, way too long. I did several passes of the material on PS and probably that didn't even affect my score.
Started studying in August, taking lots of breaks to focus on acing my biology classes, since they were all covering material that the MCAT tests (genetics, cell bio, physiology). Geared up more during winter break and powered through the spring semester to take the test on 3/28. I don't recommend studying as long as I did, as long as you can take a semester load of 12 credits or less (which I did.)

Best of luck with studying, guys. The MCAT's a beast, the trick is to not become overwhelmed by it. Make yourself think positively!

Last edited:
I'm a long-time lurker on this forum, so I decided to give back in the best way I know how. I don't know how useful my advice is going to be for people, but here goes:

Composite: 32S
BS: 12
VR: 11
PS: 9
WS: S (????)

Strategies:
BS: Honestly there is nothing I can tell you for this section. I took it cold (never reviewed anything, because frankly, I don't care). Being a Hopkins Bio major ftw.

PS: I should have done better in this section. I was averaging around 11 or 12 on my practice exams, but for some reason during the real thing, I just didn't understand some of the passages. But whatever.

VR: Now this is where might actually be able to help people who are stuck at the cusp and can't quite make it over. Here's how I did the VR:

1. Find a quiet place to work. I cannot emphasize this enough, especially with the VR. You may be good at reading quickly in a bustling cafe, but in a quiet room with nothing but your thoughts, it's easy to get sidetracked and distracted by yourself.

2. Buy the EK 101 passages book. My entire practice centered around this one book, and it helped me immensely.

3. Do 2 passages per day under TIMED CONDITIONS. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I cannot emphasize it enough. Or maybe I can. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. I started off averaging around 7 on my VR. You can see that it paid off. Limit yourself to 8 minutes a passage. If you don't know, GUESS AND MOVE ON. Review the passage either the same day or next day, and understand the explanations as to WHY you got a question wrong.

4. While reading the passages, my strategy was to read a paragraph, and once I finished reading it, I would write a word or 2 next to the paragraph about the main idea of the paragraph or something important. I never actually went back and used the words, I just thought it was helpful to keep myself on track.

5. (optional) Be a history major like me and be used to reading dense material quickly. This last part really helped me actually :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.

So, the best advice I can give anyone is that it really helps to attend a competitive university. The pre-med education I've gotten here at Hopkins helped me crank through the MCAT with minimal prep. The BS section on my test required almost zero outside knowledge, and if it hadn't been for my bio classes here, I wouldn't have been able to interpret scientific data the way that I can. I guess my History background also helped in the VR and WS section (I never even looked at a WS topic before the MCAT). Do well in your pre-req's, and you've got 75-80% of the battle done in the PS and BS sections.

If I can help anyone else out, please PM me. I promise I don't bite.

PS = 11 VR= 11 BS =10 WS = R Composite = 32R

PS - For Chem I used EK books, for physics I used Princeton Review course books and mcat-prep.com videos that I won in Test Prep Week

BS - Organic I know pretty well so I just watched the videos on the website listed above. Bio I read EK.

VR - Always score well here. Did A few 101 exams (like 4?) and then practice tests. 101 is really good, I (like most everyone else) recommend it.

I answered this above but in list form:
Princeton Review Class books, EK complete set, EK 101 Verbal, mcat-prep.com videos, AAMC practice tests

I used AAMC tests 3, 4, 5, and 6

Biology with a minor in chemistry.

Take the practice tests, but don't take them too soon. I would do about 2 per week. Don't stress out and freak out and study 30 hours / week. If you can't learn the concepts you should have already learned in less time than that, you need to focus your studies better. There isn't a whole lot to be memorized for the exam. (then again, by comparison I didn't do super awesome but I am happy with the score I got).

I started over my winter break so January and then took the exam March 28. there were a few weeks in the middle that I had no time to study though.

PS = 11 VR= 11 BS =12 WS = P Composite = 34P

I took the Kaplan course (came with a bunch of practice material eg full tests, passages, etc). Also used EK Audio Osmosis and 101 Verbal Passages.
--

I used AAMC 3-10 and Kaplan tests 2-6

Biology (neurophys & behavior emphasis)

I had a weak background in the sciences before I started studying for this test. During the summer of 08 I took the Kaplan course and did a lot of content review. By the end of the course, I still hadn't broken 30 on my AAMC practice tests. I was supposed to take it August 22, but I decided to delay the test. I started studying again over winter break. I re-read the Kaplan content books, but this time more actively. After this, I listened to the entire Audio Osmosis series. I felt like this really helped me. I've heard people don't like it, but I don't think I could have gotten this score without it. It really helped re-enforce some of the material. I also did half of the 101 Verbal Passages book, which I felt also helped me a lot. A month before the test, I started doing practice tests. Practice tests are a great way to prepare for the test. For one thing it's practice, and when you review your test (this is very important), it makes for good content review.

--

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 14, 13, T, 13 - 40T

2) The study method used for each section: I was taking physical science at the time, so for PS I'd bring questions to office hours, as well as just do what I needed to do for Physics class. All you can do with VR is to practice and learn what to expect from the test; use your test-taking skills! I like to think the 'T' comes from years as the offspring of a professional writer, but in reality anyone can do it (it just doesn't matter if you do :)). And bio is just a matter of figuring out what you don't know, learning it, and doing better the next time. It helped that I was tutoring O-chem at the time, it was nice to have those as 'freebies', in that they tend to be tangentially related (at best) to what is taught in bio class proper.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc): Kaplan classroom course. Two nights a week, three months or so before. If you're not a self-starter, this makes you study, which was great for me. I would have put this off, but if you spend the money it forces you to get cracking in plenty of time for the test

4) Which practice tests did you use? Kaplan's and the AAMCs. But probably only like 5 of them. Don't overdo the FLs. Full Lengths are diagnostic more than anything (although they do help to some extent with time-management and stamina). They tell you how you are doing, but they are inefficient when it comes to teaching you new things. You're better off figuring out what you don't know and learning it. Repeat until you know everything.

5) What was your undergraduate major? Communication Sciences & Disorders. Ask me about autism.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? Don't look at SDN all night and psyche yourself out. This is just a test. You don't need a 40. I would have gladly traded 5 MCAT points for better research or something. More than anything, let the MCAT be an opportunity to develop some skills. Become a better test-taker. You're trying to get into medical school, and you're going to be standardized-tested over and over and over. Get used to it, own it!

Be self-aware. The difference between a good score and a great score (say, mine :)) is that I didn't waste time rehashing what I knew. Look at where you messed up, figure out the information you needed or where you made your mistake, and correct it. And then don't waste anymore time on it. Once I hit my target, I stopped taking weekly FLs (they just don't give you anything new after you're consistently hitting your marks).

On the writing (if you care): The CBL gives you a ridiculous advantage over the paper-based. Honestly. If you want to spend the first 5 minutes laughing manically that someone had to physically write out an answer instead of typing, you can do that. The Kaplan method of making a point, stating a counter example, and summarizing works fantastically. Just tie in some interesting tidbits that you read in Freakonomics or the Wall Street Journal and you're done. Plus, because it's CBT, you can go back and edit a bit without getting mired in marginalia. I honestly had about ten minutes left over for each prompt. Typing is just so much faster than handwriting and they had the same time limit... our poor forefathers.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT? January to March. Two nights a week at Kaplan for six hours. Five full lengths on weekends. Certainly plenty of time on my own as well, but as above it's quality not quantity. Studying right for one hour is better than studying what you already knew for an entire day.

Wow, not as good as a lot of the other scores here, but here's my two cents
1/31/09: PS=9 VR=8 WS=R BS=11 Composite=28R (Computer problems
4/4/09: PS=11 VR=10 WS=Q BS=10 Composite=31Q

For PS and BS, I just went through flash cards and the Kaplan books to memorize facts and equations. After that, I took a bunch of practice tests. I was generally pretty confident in Verbal, so I just took a bunch of practice sections from Kaplan and EK for practice. Being a history major prepared me for the WS.

I took the Kaplan in-class course. It was pretty useless. It moved really slowly and used a lot of methods that take up a lot of time. But, as tons of people have already mentioned, the online materials are worth every penny, so I would recommend getting the online materials. There many quizzes and tests, plus all 8 AAMC CBT tests, which are all really valuable. I got a lot of use out of the flashcards as well.

A few Kaplan ones, and all AAMC ones. I averaged between 30 and 36 on all of them.

Double Major History and Bio.

Content review is important, obviously, but I would say, after taking the MCAT twice, that the exam is 20% content, 80% reading comprehension. It is SO important to be able to stay focused and clear your head during sections. My biggest struggle was always getting a song stuck in my head or something, ruining concentration and wasting time. On my 1/31 MCAT, my comp froze and I had to wait outside for 45 minutes during my PS section, which royally sucked. It also killed my concentration, so if this happens to you, VOID. I wish I had. You can think you will just brush it off, but it will affect you.

Most importantly (for me at least) the MCAT has a lot more calculations than you would think. It is integral to be able to make quick calculations without spending too much time, or the PS will eat you up. I improved 2 points on my PS section with only about 3 weeks of prep in between simply by working on fast math. It will save you a few easy points if you are quick with exponents and fractions. My advice: put EVERYTHING into scientific notation, it makes life much easier.

Finally, it is so important that you relax. That was the big difference between my two times. I can guarantee you I knew the exact same info both times, but the second time, I had a "who cares" attitude, and it helped keep me calm and focused. If you take the exam as a game and keep yourself calm, it will help you loads.

For the 1/31 exam, I took the course of the summer of 08, only doing the stuff in the class, so about 10 hours a week. During my winter break, from early December to mid January (about 6 weeks), I studied anywhere from 5-8 hours a day, with a few AAMC sprinkled in between. For the last few weeks, I did just flashcards and practice exams. After I got my results back in early march, I studied a few hours a day (since I was in the middle of the semester) up until the April 4th exam, about 3 weeks. I also took my whole spring break off to come home and study 8 hours a day.

Wow that was a longer post than I thought it would be. If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to PM me.

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I've got a question about study time and it seemed like this was the best place to put this post...

When did you guys first start studying for the test? If I plan to take the test late spring of 2010, when's the best time to start? My plan is basically to read review books first, and then take an MCAT class during the spring (about 3 months before the actual test). I also want to start doing the practice tests around that time. So, how many months do you guys think I need to study the review books (@ about 2 hours a day 5 days/week) and understand them well?

I have read through most of the 9 pages on this thread and picked up some good hints. I just want to know if this was a good general study plan, so please comment on it.

Thanks for any help. :)

I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I've got a question about study time and it seemed like this was the best place to put this post...

When did you guys first start studying for the test? If I plan to take the test late spring of 2010, when's the best time to start? My plan is basically to read review books first, and then take an MCAT class during the spring (about 3 months before the actual test). I also want to start doing the practice tests around that time. So, how many months do you guys think I need to study the review books (@ about 2 hours a day 5 days/week) and understand them well?

I have read through most of the 9 pages on this thread and picked up some good hints. I just want to know if this was a good general study plan, so please comment on it.

Thanks for any help. :)

Schedule a tough fall quarter with classes like biochem, physiology, genetics, development, etc in fall if you haven't done so. Then, take only 12 credits if semester or the equivalent in a trimester or quarter. Start reading during winter break. Spend January and February on content with period problems. Then March start doing tons of problems and begin taking tests in middle to late march. Then April continue to take practice tests and review your weaknesses and aim for a late April or May exam.

If you have an easy schedule you should be able to study 10-15 hrs a week. I say this because you'll also be volunteering, etc. When the time comes pm me and I can suggest a more detailed plan. What I would do if you can is to study O-chem if you're weak at it. The PS will come back fast. Trust me on this one. If you can have O-chem down by buying a review book now and taking the aforementioned BS classes, then you can be done with content by mid-february to late february. Then you can take practice tests and do passages from Berkeley Review all through March and be ready for a late march date or early to mid-April. This would allow you to submit early with a good score and time to work on your PS. You show great forsight in planning now. This is what I lacked in grad school. Also, volunteer now. Then you'll have a year of activities. If you can shadow now as much as you can and continue if you can during school. Volunteer at a hospice (few premeds do, helps you stand out), Free clinic, etc. Also it doesn't have to be clinically related. I volunteer 4 hrs a week at a crisis line.

Will

Schedule a tough fall quarter with classes like biochem, physiology, genetics, development, etc in fall if you haven't done so. Then, take only 12 credits if semester or the equivalent in a trimester or quarter. Start reading during winter break. Spend January and February on content with period problems. Then March start doing tons of problems and begin taking tests in middle to late march. Then April continue to take practice tests and review your weaknesses and aim for a late April or May exam.

If you have an easy schedule you should be able to study 10-15 hrs a week. I say this because you'll also be volunteering, etc. When the time comes pm me and I can suggest a more detailed plan. What I would do if you can is to study O-chem if you're weak at it. The PS will come back fast. Trust me on this one. If you can have O-chem down by buying a review book now and taking the aforementioned BS classes, then you can be done with content by mid-february to late february. Then you can take practice tests and do passages from Berkeley Review all through March and be ready for a late march date or early to mid-April. This would allow you to submit early with a good score and time to work on your PS. You show great forsight in planning now. This is what I lacked in grad school. Also, volunteer now. Then you'll have a year of activities. If you can shadow now as much as you can and continue if you can during school. Volunteer at a hospice (few premeds do, helps you stand out), Free clinic, etc. Also it doesn't have to be clinically related. I volunteer 4 hrs a week at a crisis line.

Will

This helps a bunch.

I just took O-chem 1 this past spring and I plan on taking Physics 2 this summer and O-chem 2 in the fall. I also plan to take a lesser load in the spring just like you said. I'll begin volunteering this summer.

I have a few more questions for you if you don't mind answering:

Besides the review books, how do you prepare for the Verbal section (i.e. reading NY times, science reports, etc)?

Also, assuming i'm in a time crunch, is it neccessary to take biochem and physiology before the MCAT or will a review book suffice?

And what review books did you use? I'm thinking a combination of EK and BR books will be good with a class in PR in the end if neccessary.

Thanks for your response, it's greatly appreciated.

This helps a bunch.

I just took O-chem 1 this past spring and I plan on taking Physics 2 this summer and O-chem 2 in the fall. I also plan to take a lesser load in the spring just like you said. I'll begin volunteering this summer.

I have a few more questions for you if you don't mind answering:

Besides the review books, how do you prepare for the Verbal section (i.e. reading NY times, science reports, etc)?

Also, assuming i'm in a time crunch, is it neccessary to take biochem and physiology before the MCAT or will a review book suffice?

And what review books did you use? I'm thinking a combination of EK and BR books will be good with a class in PR in the end if neccessary.

Thanks for your response, it's greatly appreciated.

If you can only take one, take physiology. However, even that can be learned from TBR passages. Just make sure to take genetics. Verbal read the New Yorker and Atlantic Monthly. They are written at high levels. Also, read Dickens. Oliver Twist is a good choice. A friend of mine who got a 13 VR said reading one or two Dickens makes you able to wade through their verbiage. This summer do the following: volunteer, kill physics 2, and read as much as possible. Then I would get the TPR workbook, Ek 101, and in late December start doing 3 passages a day. Keep in touch. Just PM instead of clogging up this thread.

PS=15 VR=10 WS=R BS=13 Composite=38R

At UCLA, all of general chemistry and organic chemistry is covered in a four-quarter sequence, so for those topics I read BR materials and counted on their lectures more than school. Also, my teacher for my review course is a former professor, so his lectures were better than any UCLA ones. I just finished genetics, my last quarter of physics, and biochemistry before starting my studying.
For VR I just started doing what the class told me to do.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, BR, EK, AAMC, etc)
I used a combination of materials, anchored by Berkeley Review and supplemented by EK and PR. I know this has been said a thousands time here, but I'll say it again: for the PS sections, Berkeley Review is the VERY BEST by far. No one else comes close. They have great tricks and their review is amazing, both in the books and in their lectures. For verbal reasoning I did passages from every source I could find. I really liked the handouts I got in class with Berkeley Review as far as techniques go, but the true secret is to practice with as many different styles of writing and questions as you can. For BS I used EK and BR. I read BR books and handouts for genetics and renal physiology. I read EK for the rest of physiology, cell, and molecular biology. I also did some of the passages from the PR workbook.

I used everything I could find. I did about 6 AAMC exams, 9 BR exams, 2 Kaplan exams, EK paper exams (I used them, but DO NOT recommend them), 2 PR exams (paper versions), and all of BR sectional review exams (these were by far the best passages I did). I probably did too many exams, but that worked for me. I didn't always score them, but I went over every question in detail. The reason BR was so good in my mind is that the answer explanations were amazing. I used their answer for AAMC tests, which was a perfect combination.

Was??? It still is biology.

Do tons of passages!!! And most importantly, review your answers immediately afterwards. Learn from your mistakes and always aim not only to get a right answer but also how to get it faster. If you choose to take a course, make sure they emphasize test strategies and have great teachers. The biggest difference for me was taking Berkeley Review, because they really emphasized how to think your way through questions and not count on memorization. I loved their course and it is the number 1 reason I scored as well as I did. I can't thank them enough. If you take BR, trust their suggestions and strategies 100%; they really know what they're talking about.

I started in the middle of December and took the test in the middle of April. I reviewed for two and a half months and then took practice exams from then on. I also started hitting up office hours pretty hard for the last two months.

35Q (PS11/VR10/BS14)

First off, I took the TPR class. It was great, and I can say that it was money well spent. So all the things I list here are in addition to that classroom review.

PS - this was the section I felt worst about early on. I didn't learn physics well the first time around, so I read most of the Physical Sciences TPR book. I worked practically all of the problems. My highest score on a practice test was a 13, on a later AAMC.

VR - I used EK's 101 book. I peaked early in my effectiveness in VR, and slowly went downhill. I don't know what happened. Glad I got a 10 on the real thing. I was never that good at verbal, and none of the strategies TPR gave me helped much. I'm a fast reader and I can attribute that to my relative success. I topped a 12 on my practice tests.

BS - I didn't study Organic at all. I had recently taken the class, and tutored it since. That and biochem were my best subjects in undergrad so far, so I didn't need to study them. For biology, I read the TPR Biology book for pure content and memorization of facts. Then on the practice tests I practiced applying that. It was always my best section, and it carried my score to a 35. I have a feeling that I did best mostly because my strength in o-chem and the number of biology classes I've taken (Bio I & II, Cell Bio, Genetics, Immuno, Viro, Embryo, Human A&P I & II).

TPR stuff for the sciences, EK for verbal

All of the TPR tests and all of the AAMCs
I tried to take one every week. I believe this to be essential. You pick up very easily on the mistakes you make if you review correctly, and you get really into the "MCAT mindset".

Molecular biology

Be positive! Don't freak out! There WILL be something you're not prepared for completely on the test. Just don't let it blow your cool. Take as many practice tests as you can and REVIEW! Not that enlightening, but very important.

3 and a half months

Last edited:
Hey, would it be a good approach to study all the content(while doing problems and tropical tests/quiz from kaplan) and become a master in 2 months and then practice test taking for another 2 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.