2010-2011 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

*All 500 characters*

1. If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the
University of Louisville School of Medicine.

2. How well did your high school prepare you for college?

3. What determined your choice of college(s)?

4. How do you assess your college record?

5. Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?

6. Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)

7. Academic/Occupational background of family members (list highest degree earned and current occupation): Father, Mother, Other

8. Foreign Travel

9. Interest & Hobbies

10. Describe any other areas in which you possess interest, expertise or skill. E.g., musicianship of a professional caliber, published writing, language spoken fluently, union level in trades, certification in other professional areas, scouting, etc.:

11. What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?

12. How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?
(Please include choice of medical practice and location)

13. Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For anyone else who has started the secondary, for the Shadowing/Volunteer Activities part of the Employment/Extracurricular activities section, do they want us to just list the medically related volunteer activies or can we also list our non-medically related activities?

For anyone else who has started the secondary, for the Shadowing/Volunteer Activities part of the Employment/Extracurricular activities section, do they want us to just list the medically related volunteer activies or can we also list our non-medically related activities?

I listed all of mine, I didn't see any reason why we shouldn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application was sent on the 25th with the first batch of apps but I haven't received a secondary from here. It looks like you guys got one, so I was wondering if they send them out at the same time, or if it is in batches or something? Do you guys know?

I'm not really sure how they do it. I got mine so fast that I don't think they even screened mine, but that could be because I am instate. Are you and Instate applicant?

No, I'm out of state but my parents live in Tennessee and I would love to be close to them. Maybe they send out the in-state secondaries first. Or maybe I'm just not a strong enough applicant to get considered OOS. Who knows.

Yeah, I'm out of state and I didn't get one either. I don't think it is a big deal though. There seems to be some variety to when you actually receive your secondary.

Ahhhh, I just got an e-mail from the director of admissions. Apparently since they only use the most recent MCAT score, if you indicated you are taking a future MCAT (I took mine on June 17) they don't give you the secondary until the new score comes in. Just in case anyone else was wondering.

I received mine this morning. Rather insulting secondary, if you ask me, as it's almost complete duplicate of the primary :rolleyes:. Also, who the **** remembers their high school information?

GOD this app is so annoying. Why would they ask you to list all of your prereq material, course name, and institution all over again when you listed it in the AMCAS? Such an annoying waste of time.

For those of you have received your secondary already, are there any essays?

For those of you have received your secondary already, are there any essays?
A LOT of annoying ones -

How well did your high school prepare you for college?

What determined your choice of college(s)?

How do you assess your college record?

Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?

Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)

It gets BETTER -
What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?

How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

I am not joking. 500 characters to define that. Fk you louisville. :thumbdown:

Out of State Interest:
If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the
University of Louisville School of Medicine:

ALSO -
How do you assess your college record? <-- WTF does that mean?

A LOT of annoying ones -

How well did your high school prepare you for college?

What determined your choice of college(s)?

How do you assess your college record?

Circumstances adversely affecting your academic performance?

Research Experience (including any publications and/or curriculum vitae)

It gets BETTER -
What career(s) would you probably consider if you could not be a physician?

How do you see yourself practicing medicine after residency training?

Discuss briefly why you have decided to pursue a M.D. degree program:

I am not joking. 500 characters to define that. Fk you louisville. :thumbdown:

Out of State Interest:
If you are an out of state student, please explain your interest in attending the
University of Louisville School of Medicine:

ALSO -
How do you assess your college record? <-- WTF does that mean?

I took it as a more casual secondary. If you applied to UK, it's a whole other world .

In most of those I didn't use the full space. They're not going to judge you by how well your high school prepared you---unless you blatantly use it as an excuse for something. The college choice thing---I can't imagine you could come up with many answers that are going to look bad. Most of this is just small stuff--don't sweat it.

How do you assess your college record--I just focused on grade trends. They have a transcript---tell them what you see when you look @ it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received mine this morning. Rather insulting secondary, if you ask me, as it's almost complete duplicate of the primary :rolleyes:. Also, who the **** remembers their high school information?

hahah, amen.

I'm OOS and received the secondary 7/7. I'm filling it out little by little because it's so frustrating. Maybe I'll get it in this weekend? :thumbup:

Ya I just submitted it.

The nice thing- if you are a reapp then alll your answers from last year are transferred over, so I just did some tweaking:thumbup:

That. Took. FOREVER.

Does Louisville win the longest secondary ever award or what?

Louisville's secondary really isn't that bad. Kentucky's is way worse, especially if you are OOS. Loyola's was pretty bad as well as Ohio State's. I've heard that Rush's is the absolute worst, but I didn't apply there so i don't really know.

Ya its really not that bad. Loyola's is the worst, then RUSH, IMO

Yeah, I think I was frustrated the most by the interface. It kept not saving my information! Three times I had to retype a whole screen of like 7 essay questions!

Yeah, I agree that the interface is the most frustrating part. Why not just let you directly save it instead of reviewing it first?

Yeah, I agree that the interface is the most frustrating part. Why not just let you directly save it instead of reviewing it first?

Ugh, agreed. I reviewed and then clicked 'make changes' after inputting alllll of my prereq info... And it lost it all. Awesome. The next time through, I forgot to answer a question, so it made me click 'make changes' and I lost it all again. Good luck, everyone :)

Finished with the secondary! All that and I still have to mail them some crap. I would love to go here though. OOS applicant - worked with one of the professors at the med school here on a research project. Thought I'd give it a go.

Finally submitted the secondary! Although, for some reason it kept saving apostrophes as question marks. I thought I corrected all of them, but a few slipped through. Hopefully they're understanding about how finicky their interface is. I checked and re-checked and those bizarre formatting issues still went through. Ugh!

Finally submitted the secondary! Although, for some reason it kept saving apostrophes as question marks. I thought I corrected all of them, but a few slipped through. Hopefully they're understanding about how finicky their interface is. I checked and re-checked and those bizarre formatting issues still went through. Ugh!

Same thing happened with me... It drove me nutz!! I'm sure they will be merciful - with so many applicants those question marks are gunna pop up everywhere! Anyway, lets hope we get that interview!

Just realized that i don't meet the pre-requisite math requirement :( I'm pretty sure I got a 3 on the AP Calculus exam in high school but my university accepted it for credit (which i was surprised by to begin with). At least I figured it out before mailing the fee...

I want to cry.. I just submitted my application and it didn't save any of my essays for the extracurricular/employment area... and I TRIPLE CHECKED every section of my application before auditing.. this school has the worst secondary website EVER... :(

Just realized that i don't meet the pre-requisite math requirement :( I'm pretty sure I got a 3 on the AP Calculus exam in high school but my university accepted it for credit (which i was surprised by to begin with). At least I figured it out before mailing the fee...

If you're just now applying there's time to take it.

what do you write for the "circumstances adversely affecting your performance" question if you don't really have anything in particular that stands out? im assuming writing "none" is not a good choice but i also wouldnt want to just make something up. any suggestions?

what do you write for the "circumstances adversely affecting your performance" question if you don't really have anything in particular that stands out? im assuming writing "none" is not a good choice but i also wouldnt want to just make something up. any suggestions?

You could probably get away with "none." or "N/A." Or "There were no circumstances that affected my performance."

It's one of those that you fill out if it applies---you don't have to write an actual response if it didn't happen to you.

Would Business Calculus substitute for Calculus at University of Louisville?

:laugh: I still haven't submitted. I hate this secondary so much. It's not bad because I'm still waiting on a final LOR. Also -
The Secondary Application Receipt Tab is the final step where you will have the capability to print your Secondary Application Receipt and upload your photo. You must 'mail' the Secondary Application Receipt and the $75.00 nonrefundable application processing fee to the Admissions Office.

:mad: Schools need to stop this bull****. Host the images and get a ****ing paypal account!

i'm in-state and submitted my primary app two weeks ago (although it hasn't been verified or whatever yet) and still haven't gotten any info about secondary- how long did it take other in state applicants?

For those of you who have submitted the secondary already, have you heard anything since? I was wondering if I should call to figure out if I am complete...

Just got my interview invite 30 minutes ago :D:D:D

For those of you wondering, I'm in-state and 3.9/33.

INTERVIEW INVITE!
complete: 6/28
invite: 7/3
:D

INTERVIEW INVITE!
That first one feels great. I just threw my hands up and said "Yes!" The other people at work looked at me funny, but whatever. :D.

Anyway, I'm IS, 3.85/30. Submitted 6/29. Just sent in the email requesting August 26 as my first choice. What is everyone else putting as their first choice?

Last edited:
Just got an invite today too!!

complete 6/29. IS 3.85/30

I also put 8/26 as my first choice.

Anybody with interview invites get confirmed for a date yet? there are only 20 people interviewing per day

Wow, our applications look the exact same, it would seem. I got the confirmation email earlier today; I'm officially interviewing on the 26th!

Ha we do look like application twins... I just got confirmed for the 26th so I'll see you there!

What do you guys like about U of L?

Should I be worried if I mailed them a check on July 16th and it still hasn't been received? Did anyone else have a long delay on check-cashing?

3rice, if you log into the secondary application, you can see whether or not they have received your check. Under the "Check Status" tab, click on "Secondary Application Fee Status." Mine was listed as received a few days after I mailed it.

Should I be worried if I mailed them a check on July 16th and it still hasn't been received? Did anyone else have a long delay on check-cashing?

That's weird that it takes them so long to take my money, they dont want it or something??? I dont mind if they give it back if they dont give me an interview, lol.

I submitted and mailed my check off on July 18th...and the check just showed that it cleared on Saturday....

what does the question 'foreign travel' mean? study abroad? vacations?

Just had my interview here today and really liked it! Louisville has definitely moved to the top of my list :D

Just had my interview here today and really liked it! Louisville has definitely moved to the top of my list :D

Definitely. I also interviewed today and I really enjoyed the experience. I liked the way they had the interviews set up, where you had time to just relax with everyone else in between the two.

nburnett: when they sent you the link to schedule your interview did they provide you with username/password info. I have tried my AMCAS ID and my password for U of L's site and it is not working. I enabled cookies, have tried different browser's, etc. Tried calling admissions office, however they are closed for the weekend. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.