2010-2011 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician.

2. Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it.

3. Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations.

How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body?

4. If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. If you are a Minnesota resident, please enter N/A.

5. Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year.

6. Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. If there are none, please enter N/A.

7. Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is:

8. Have you ever been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor?
If YES, you must include a full explanation below.

9. What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If there is none, please enter N/A.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I was accepted last cycle and decided to defer a year to do research abroad so feel free to ask any questions and I'll be happy to help out. Good luck to all of you guys, U of Minnesota is an amazing medical program.

Does anybody know when the the early decision secondaries will be sent out? I just got verified today with AMCAS.

Hey all, I also was accepted this past cycle. I start classes Aug 9, orientation Aug 2!

If anyone has questions about the process here, feel free to PM me and I will also try to check this board periodically ^_^

Good luck everyone!:luck:

I received an e-mail from University of Minnesota on 06/30 requesting to pick which campuses (Duluth or Twin Cities or both) I plan to apply to. I went ahead and did that today (07/01). I then called the Twin Cities admissions office to inquire when I would receive the secondary application and the individual said not till August.

Last edited:
They do admissions separately and Duluth's secondary has a LOT of writing to do, so I'm sure the information you received regarding the TC campus is accurate.

Members don't see this ad :)
TC sends out their secondaries VERY late compared to other schools, so even if it gets to be September and you haven't gotten one yet, I would not be too upset. They also send them out in batches.

i received an email link for choosing which of the two campuses I was interested in. but they after i chose tc, there wasn't a secondary application link or anything... did everyone else experience this?

i received an email link for choosing which of the two campuses I was interested in. but they after i chose tc, there wasn't a secondary application link or anything... did everyone else experience this?

Secondaries aren't out yet. Just the email. No worries.

Hooray! Here's to everyone applying this cycle... Good luck!

Unfortunately I applied and was waitlisted this past cycle, and my wait list rank was well too low to make it plausible to get accepted...

But, I am confident that this cycle will be it! It doesn't hurt that I was waitlisted at my top school. I'm just praying that they like me even just a little more this year, haha.

Once again, good luck everyone!

I should add to those reading that it's common to have to wait long periods of time for the U to send out materials, invites, etc., so don't get too worried if your secondary gets to your inbox in August or September!

@sassilysweet

Out of curiousity, what are your stats? I am still a sophomore, and I go to the U of M undergrad. It would be interesting to know what kind of scores and GPA U of M med is looking for. If you are not cool with sharing, it's completely all right! Thanks! CONGRATULATIONS!!:D

Secondaries aren't out yet. Just the email. No worries.

Thanks for posting this, I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I wonder when secondaries will come in...

Thanks for posting this, I wasn't sure if I was missing something. I wonder when secondaries will come in...

It will be August, most likely the first week (that's what it was last year, I believe).

Do you know when they start sending interview invites?

That, I do not know, unfortunately. I thought they started interviews in September, but I am not sure. My guess is that it will be identical to last year's cycle, so try checking in the 2009-2010 thread.

*first person to post that they got a secondary from TC campus was on 08-17-2009

*Do NOT fill out a secondary unless you are asked to complete one. Last year everyone got the link on here and some decided to fill it out and submit it anyway "just in case" and it sounds like they got angry telephone calls. Just be patient!

*I know they do ED applicants in Sept, but I want to say some spectacular applicants who were in the first batch to receive secondaries had Sept interviews also

*They do screen for secondaries so not everyone will get one. I am not sure how soon they let you know if you will not receive one, though

*first person to post that they got a secondary from TC campus was on 08-17-2009

*Do NOT fill out a secondary unless you are asked to complete one. Last year everyone got the link on here and some decided to fill it out and submit it anyway "just in case" and it sounds like they got angry telephone calls. Just be patient!

*I know they do ED applicants in Sept, but I want to say some spectacular applicants who were in the first batch to receive secondaries had Sept interviews also

*They do screen for secondaries so not everyone will get one. I am not sure how soon they let you know if you will not receive one, though

Wow thanks. Do you know what the screen is? In terms of gpa and MCAT?

Just got a teaser e-mail from UofM - just letting me know that they are reviewing primaries to see if I am worthy of a secondary. I am a CA resident that lived in Minnesota for a few years... hopefully that's a plus.

Just got a teaser e-mail from UofM - just letting me know that they are reviewing primaries to see if I am worthy of a secondary. I am a CA resident that lived in Minnesota for a few years... hopefully that's a plus.

They sure are taking their time. I guess they must screen more than just by MCAT and GPA. Anywho, good luck to all applying.

Wow thanks. Do you know what the screen is? In terms of gpa and MCAT?
No idea, sorry. I know a few years ago (like 2004-ish) my friend had like a 3.4 and a 28 and got a secondary. I would have to guess the cut-off would be under a 3.0 and maybe a 25? It might differ by IS vs. OS. Just hazarding a guess there though, I really don't know if they have a hard-and-fast cut-off.

And yes, I am sure that they screen by more than just numbers but I couldn't tell you what criteria they follow.

And again, not all of those who get a secondary will get interviewed.

I just got my secondary!!!!! Yay I am so excited.

Ooops, just submitted 4 rec letters instead of 3. Do you think it matters?

I would really love a secondary invitation about now, haha... I'm getting so anxious.

Ooops, just submitted 4 rec letters instead of 3. Do you think it matters?

I bet it happens all the time since people have a tendency to assign letters before they even get the supplemental applications.

For those who have received the secondary, are you currently, or were you ever, MN residents?

I am and always have been a Minnesota resident, and would be perfectly happy being a Minnesota resident the rest of my life...

...But I haven't received one yet, haha.

Patience...

I am and always have been a Minnesota resident, and would be perfectly happy being a Minnesota resident the rest of my life...

Patience...

Hear, hear!

Patience...

Amen!

For those of you who have got it, mind to share the secondary's questions please?

Hear, hear!

Two of my very good friends from college took the following path:

I wasn't a Minnesota resident before college, I'm still technically not a Minnesota resident because I attend school here, but I would be perfectly happy being a Minnesota resident the rest of my life...

(To be fair, I would venture to say that this is true of anyone and their home state... But, allowing my bias, I would say that it's not REALLY true unless you're in Minnesota)

Two of my very good friends from college took the following path:

I wasn't a Minnesota resident before college, I'm still technically not a Minnesota resident because I attend school here, but I would be perfectly happy being a Minnesota resident the rest of my life...

(To be fair, I would venture to say that this is true of anyone and their home state... But, allowing my bias, I would say that it's not REALLY true unless you're in Minnesota)

haha idk I brought my friend from Ohio home with me and she ended up LOVING MN. She later got accepted to Mayo so that worked out rather well I must say.

haha idk I brought my friend from Ohio home with me and she ended up LOVING MN. She later got accepted to Mayo so that worked out rather well I must say.

Based on all our anecdotal evidence, I don't doubt that everyone that we come across loves the state. However, I would also say that if we were to enter the communities in which our friends live in other states, we might say the same things... But nonetheless, I'm going to let me bias slip in unimpeded and say that Minnesota is a black hole of greatness.

For those of you who have got it, mind to share the secondary's questions please?

Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. 250 words

Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it. 250 words

Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations.

How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body? 250 words

If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. If you are a Minnesota resident, please enter N/A. 50 words

Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year. 200 words

Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. If there are none, please enter N/A. 200 words

Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is: 50 words

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If there is none, please enter N/A. 150 Words

Last edited:
Based on all our anecdotal evidence, I don't doubt that everyone that we come across loves the state. However, I would also say that if we were to enter the communities in which our friends live in other states, we might say the same things... But nonetheless, I'm going to let me bias slip in unimpeded and say that Minnesota is a black hole of greatness.

Haha lol. I 100% agree. I am not Minnesota born and raised and I have lived all over the country. Every places has good and bad things and every place has people that are convinced its the best. But I am fine with the Minnesota as a black hole of greatness theory. :)

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompts for the UM secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Does anyone's status for the TC campus say this:
The Twin Cities campus requires a verified AMCAS application before you may access to the supplemental application. You will receive instructions via e-mail once your application has been verified by AMCAS and submitted to the Office of Admissions. Please note that the verification process may take three weeks or more.

I have been AMCAS verified since very early June, so I am wondering if there is an error or if this is the generic status that everyone has until they're either invited or not invited to fill out a secondary.

Does anyone's status for the TC campus say this:

I have been AMCAS verified since very early June, so I am wondering if there is an error or if this is the generic status that everyone has until they're either invited or not invited to fill out a secondary.

Well, I would suggest that if you haven't received an invitation to complete the secondary, you shouldn't be able to access it... If you have, you might want to email the U to check with them to see if it's an error. But again, if you haven't been invited to complete it, I wouldn't expect to be able to get in to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.