2010-2011 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand, but there's a difference between "your application is under review to determine if you will be invited to fill out a secondary" and "your primary AMCAS application has not been received".

Members don't see this ad.

I understand, but there's a difference between "your application is under review to determine if you will be invited to fill out a secondary" and "your primary AMCAS application has not been received".

I apologize, I didn't intend to sound so abrasive. We were watching a movie last night and I wanted to comment without pulling myself from the movie. But anyway, you should have received an email from the U indicating that they received your appliction. If not, I would contact admissions and see if they received your AMCAS application.

Is that what you are referring to? If you received the email, I would guess you'll get the secondary invitation or rejection soon.

Again, I'm sorry if I was offensive in any way. I should probably reread my posts in situations like that.

Haha lol. I 100% agree. I am not Minnesota born and raised and I have lived all over the country. Every places has good and bad things and every place has people that are convinced its the best. But I am fine with the Minnesota as a black hole of greatness theory. :)

Okay, second favorite place and why.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a big deal, betheltim. I got the email where I selected which campus I wanted to apply to, if that's what you're referencing.

Not a big deal, betheltim. I got the email where I selected which campus I wanted to apply to, if that's what you're referencing.

Nope, you should have received an email that says the following:

"The Office of Admissions has received your 2011 American Medical College Application Servce (AMCAS) application to the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities. Please take a moment to become familiar with our application process..."

That should be the second email you receive from the U after submission of your AMCAS application.

Have you not received that yet?

Yeah, I got that one. Then it appears everything is in order. Thanks betheltim.

Okay, second favorite place and why.

In the states? To live? Honestly, San Antonio Texas. The people there were some of the most welcoming I ever encountered and the River Walk along the Alamo has some great Mexican restaurants. To visits St. Louis because I am a huge St. Louis Blues fans and even though they lose more at home games than any other hockey team the Scottrade center is still magical.

Overseas: London. I am a huge Shakespeare nerd. I never got to live there though :( My dad tried but it never worked out.

Do you guys know how OOS friendly this school is? I am feeling really unmotivated for the huge secondary because on second look, they don't look that OOS friendly.
I'm from Cali with ties to the Midwest (although not to Minnesota).

Do you guys know how OOS friendly this school is? I am feeling really unmotivated for the huge secondary because on second look, they don't look that OOS friendly.
I'm from Cali with ties to the Midwest (although not to Minnesota).

They definitely favor in state applicants--nearly every in state public school does--but you should check the class profile on meded.umn.edu if you want specific numbers.

I got the secondary the other day. Thanks for your answers, betheltim.

I don't think that it has anything to do with merit. Your stats are better than mine and you're IS. I think they're just going in order or something. I submitted early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry ejw5075 but I forgot to thank you until just now :)

To Zil11: here are the questions:

Beyond what you have written in your AMCAS Personal Comments, discuss your early life experiences, family background and aspects of your home community that have led to your decision to become a physician. 250 words

Describe a difficult life experience and how you dealt with it. 250 words

Our medical school is committed to enrolling and graduating a diverse student body. The Admissions Committee considers the following: high academic potential, disadvantaged background, race and ethnicity, evidence of outstanding leadership, creativity, unique work or service experience, community involvement, non-traditional educational progression, and demonstrated commitment to working with diverse populations.

How would you contribute to the diversity of the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities student body? 250 words

If you did not designate Minnesota as your state of legal residence on your AMCAS application, briefly describe any ties that you might have to this state. If you are a Minnesota resident, please enter N/A. 50 words

Briefly describe what you are currently doing. If you have already graduated, please indicate what you have been doing since graduation, and what your plans are for the coming year. 200 words

Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application. If there are none, please enter N/A. 200 words

Should you not be accepted to medical school, the alternative career that you would pursue is: 50 words

What other pertinent information would you like to bring to the attention of the Admissions Committee? If there is none, please enter N/A. 150 Words

Another thing to mention is that even though it tells you how many words, there is also a character limit and it appears the the character limit is the determining factor.

I have not received this email:

"The Office of Admissions has received your 2011 American Medical College Application Servce (AMCAS) application to the University of Minnesota Medical School - Twin Cities. Please take a moment to become familiar with our application process..."

The last email I received was the one asking to follow a link to choose between campuses. My AMCAS has been verified since June. I worry that my GPA may not be good enough if they only look at my AMCAS GPA. I am a non-trad and my early school efforts were poor while my GPA after returning and doing pre-med is 3.87, sGPA is 3.7. My AMCAS is 3.6, sGPA is 3.4.

Has anyone else been verified and submitted early and still not received this email or a secondary? If so what are your stats?

I got an email from this school saying they "received my MCAT scores from AMCAS and that I may be a competitive applicant if I applied"

First, I don't know how AMCAS sent my scores to them (I'm from SC!)

Second, should I just go ahead and apply here if I'm from OOS and I got this email?

I have not received this email:

The last email I received was the one asking to follow a link to choose between campuses. My AMCAS has been verified since June. I worry that my GPA may not be good enough if they only look at my AMCAS GPA. I am a non-trad and my early school efforts were poor while my GPA after returning and doing pre-med is 3.87, sGPA is 3.7. My AMCAS is 3.6, sGPA is 3.4.

Has anyone else been verified and submitted early and still not received this email or a secondary? If so what are your stats?

I got my secondary but I have heard they can take awhile. I wouldn't worry cause your stats are right around mine and I got one so unless your MCAT was below avg. I am guessing they are just being slow.

I got an email from this school saying they "received my MCAT scores from AMCAS and that I may be a competitive applicant if I applied"

First, I don't know how AMCAS sent my scores to them (I'm from SC!)

Second, should I just go ahead and apply here if I'm from OOS and I got this email?

guitarguy, I've gotten several of those emails from schools, usually for the MD/PhD programs and it says it is based on MCAT score, but my MCAT score was not that high and I'm definitely not competitive for a PhD. I don't want to discourage you, but I don't think its as significant as we think when we get them, although they're flattering.

"I wouldn't worry cause your stats are right around mine and I got one so unless your MCAT was below avg."

My MCAT score was 32M. I am surprised about the writing grade because I am very strong in this area. I don't think I prepared correctly. Anyway, I hope that M grade isn't enough for them to chuck my app.

"I wouldn't worry cause your stats are right around mine and I got one so unless your MCAT was below avg."

My MCAT score was 32M. I am surprised about the writing grade because I am very strong in this area. I don't think I prepared correctly. Anyway, I hope that M grade isn't enough for them to chuck my app.

I am hoping they'll put more emphasis on the writing samples you provide for them to see instead of a secret writing passage graded by someone the adcoms haven't met. I got a poor writing sample score too, so I hope that is the case.

In the states? To live? Honestly, San Antonio Texas. The people there were some of the most welcoming I ever encountered and the River Walk along the Alamo has some great Mexican restaurants. To visits St. Louis because I am a huge St. Louis Blues fans and even though they lose more at home games than any other hockey team the Scottrade center is still magical.

Overseas: London. I am a huge Shakespeare nerd. I never got to live there though :( My dad tried but it never worked out.

You've obviously never been to Montana. "Last Best Place!"

People who are worried about getting secondaries, I spoke with the dean of admissions for the med school, Paul White, at a seminar on Thursday. He said, 1. Almost everyone will get a secondary. 2. they will come out very late, probably long after you've received all the others... They do all of their early decision applicants first... He said there is no "formula" to determine who moves on and who doesn't. They are looking for people not eligible, incomplete applications, etc, those people won't get a secondary, probably if you have over a 3.0, and 27 MCAT, you WILL LIKELY get a secondary...

To the people about OOS, they are NOT OOS friendly, they take more than half the class as in-state... sorry to disappoint...

To the people about OOS, they are NOT OOS friendly, they take more than half the class as in-state... sorry to disappoint...

It's all relative. :) I'm applying in-state in TX, which by state law can only take 10% from OOS. I lived in MN for a long time when I was younger, have a lot of family there (including at the UM) and would love to go back. I hope they don't dismiss my app out of hand just because I live in TX now.

Wait so have the people who applied early decision heard about interviews yet? Did anyone on here go that route? Just curious.

It's all relative. :) I'm applying in-state in TX, which by state law can only take 10% from OOS. I lived in MN for a long time when I was younger, have a lot of family there (including at the UM) and would love to go back. I hope they don't dismiss my app out of hand just because I live in TX now.

The reason the U (or anyone, for that matter) favors in-state applicants is because they want to train the state's physicians, or train physicians who will practice in the state, considering how much taxpayer money goes into a medical education. If you have significant connections to the state, I would guess they will lean more toward your application, particularly because you have the means and the reasons to return. But that's just my guess, haha... Good luck!

Wait so have the people who applied early decision heard about interviews yet? Did anyone on here go that route? Just curious.

I was REALLY close to applying ED, but because my clinical experience is ever so slightly lacking, I didn't want to risk waiting until October for other schools (if I apply again next year, I'm pretty sure I'll apply ED at the U).

Anyway, sorry my anecdote doesn't answer your real question... :rolleyes:

They won't dismiss you for that... You just need to make a really strong case for yourself... I came away from the seminar feeling everyone has a shot, and it's your passion, et al that make the decision... it's not just this or that that will determine the answer...

I was REALLY close to applying ED, but because my clinical experience is ever so slightly lacking, I didn't want to risk waiting until October for other schools (if I apply again next year, I'm pretty sure I'll apply ED at the U).

Anyway, sorry my anecdote doesn't answer your real question... :rolleyes:

I don't have the stats for it either. I sure wish I could have though. My gpa is the problem. Hopefully neither of us will need to apply next year though.

I don't have the stats for it either. I sure wish I could have though. My gpa is the problem. Hopefully neither of us will need to apply next year though.

Yeah, hopefully we'll be classmates, haha... Is the U is your top choice?

(According to the U's website, EDP applicants have the same profile as regular decision applicants... Interesting)

Yeah, hopefully we'll be classmates, haha... Is the U is your top choice?

(According to the U's website, EDP applicants have the same profile as regular decision applicants... Interesting)

It is. I want to go there so badly as I am sure we all do. My significant other wants me to go to Loma Linda though so I guess it depends where/if I get accepted. I am all for us being classmates! lol Is it your top choice?

Doc, are both schools out of state for you? Personally, I won't even apply to DO schools in Cali, I have zero desire to live there... the COL is so much higher in Cali, you'll come away with so much more debt... just my .02....

Doc, are both schools out of state for you? Personally, I won't even apply to DO schools in Cali, I have zero desire to live there... the COL is so much higher in Cali, you'll come away with so much more debt... just my .02....

No I'm from MN. I go to one of Loma's feeder schools (I am SDA) so I get an automatic interview and what not. It is about the equivalent of being instate. I have NO desire to live in Cali either. My parents are from there and I always hated going back. Call me crazy but I like snow and having all 4 seasons (even if spring and fall are a bit shorter than I would like). Other than location Loma has its positives though...like the people. Obviously MN will have great people enrolled there too and its close to home and I love the state. I really just want to get in somewhere lol. I am really not that picky.

Me neither! I don't really have the stats to be picky though... beggars can't be choosers.... or at least that's my motto...

It is. I want to go there so badly as I am sure we all do. My significant other wants me to go to Loma Linda though so I guess it depends where/if I get accepted. I am all for us being classmates! lol Is it your top choice?

Yeah, it is. I have a really strong love for Minnesota, and I especially love the school (for many reasons). However, if I do not get in, I would be happy to go almost anywhere in the Midwest. I thought about applying on the east coast, but I figured that since a lot of people apply out there, it would be in my best interest (as well as my wallet's) to pass. I'm still considering Loma Linda, but I am not sure I'd want to live in California so far away from my home...

I am applying ED, and submitted my secondary on Sat. It's amazing how fast the process goes for ED students. I submitted my amcas on tuesday, verified on wed. and received my secondary from the U of M on Thursday. I'm hoping for an interview by this Friday :xf: haha. Probably not though.

For the question, "Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application."

Obviously I haven't had every experience there is to have, but what type of gaps do you think they are asking about? What have others wrote for this question?

For the question, "Please explain any gaps in your education and/or work experiences since high school graduation that are not previously described in your application."

Obviously I haven't had every experience there is to have, but what type of gaps do you think they are asking about? What have others wrote for this question?

I think what they're getting at is for people who;
- Took some time off between HS and undergrad
- Took some time off between undergrad and med school
- Took some time off in the middle for whatever reason (Save the Whales, mental breakdown, mom had cancer, etc.)

I don't think it's meant to ask "Is this person a 100%, perfectly well-rounded applicant that has had every possible experience ever?"

Thats my take on it anyways. Thoughts anyone?

I think what they're getting at is for people who;
- Took some time off between HS and undergrad
- Took some time off between undergrad and med school
- Took some time off in the middle for whatever reason (Save the Whales, mental breakdown, mom had cancer, etc.)

I don't think it's meant to ask "Is this person a 100%, perfectly well-rounded applicant that has had every possible experience ever?"

Thats my take on it anyways. Thoughts anyone?

I agree with Zer0crew. I put N/A. I believe they are looking for gaps in your application that should be explained. For example if you took a semester off from school.

I agree with Zer0crew. I put N/A. I believe they are looking for gaps in your application that should be explained. For example if you took a semester off from school.

That is what I used it for.

Has anybody received any interview invites yet from the U of Minn? If so, how long did it take from secondary verfication/submission to receive the invite?

Has anybody received any interview invites yet from the U of Minn? If so, how long did it take from secondary verfication/submission to receive the invite?
I just sent in my secondary and am curious about interviews too. I applied through the EDP, how about you guys?

Nice, did you send in your supplemental yet?

Just submitted my supplemental, anybody heard anything about interviews yet?

hey everyone
we had our first day of orientation today, it was great!

Thought I would share our classes' stats with you...not sure if they are on the website yet....

Avg MCAT: 32.4
Avg GPA: 3.71
Avg age: 24

83% in-state...last year's class was around 74%

Good luck all!

Status
Not open for further replies.