2010-2011 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any OOS applicants who have yet to receive a secondary? I haven't gotten one, but I've heard mixed reports on how competitive the screen is. I don't know if I just need to be patient or if I've already been screened out.

Members don't see this ad.

Any OOS applicants who have yet to receive a secondary? I haven't gotten one, but I've heard mixed reports on how competitive the screen is. I don't know if I just need to be patient or if I've already been screened out.

I am OOS and I have yet to receive a secondary application.

I'm OOS and received the secondary, I had my AMCAS in asap (6/4 I believe it was verified) and the screen can't be too competitive, I have 27Q and 3.72..

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone
we had our first day of orientation today, it was great!

Thought I would share our classes' stats with you...not sure if they are on the website yet....

Avg MCAT: 32.4
Avg GPA: 3.71
Avg age: 24

83% in-state...last year's class was around 74%

Good luck all!

Thanks for all your great information! Please keep filling us in on how things are and what it's like as an MS1 there!

Good luck to you in your studies!

Anyone else get cleared that their supplemental is being processed?

I'm OOS and received the secondary, I had my AMCAS in asap (6/4 I believe it was verified) and the screen can't be too competitive, I have 27Q and 3.72..

Weird. I am in-state, 32M, 3.87, and had my AMCAS verified early June as well, and have yet to receive a secondary. :confused:

Weird. I am in-state, 32M, 3.87, and had my AMCAS verified early June as well, and have yet to receive a secondary. :confused:

Funny! Right after I wrote that post I checked my email and found the secondary. HOoOray! :laugh:

Has anybody heard anything from the U recently?

I am OOS and I got a secondary on 8/3, though my stats are 3.9/31Q. It seems like secondaries are just starting to be released.

And I have not heard anything yet, but I submitted yesterday so hopefully soon. Anyone know how long they take for marking you complete/interview? Obviously, it varies by applicant (and I am OOS), but are they usually pretty fast?

I haven't heard anything recently and submitted my supplemental last Monday. I am an EDP applicant and the Admissions Office said I would probably hear today about an interview. Anyone received an interview invite yet?

Woohoo, I just received the secondary this morning!

I am OOS and I got a secondary on 8/3, though my stats are 3.9/31Q. It seems like secondaries are just starting to be released.

And I have not heard anything yet, but I submitted yesterday so hopefully soon. Anyone know how long they take for marking you complete/interview? Obviously, it varies by applicant (and I am OOS), but are they usually pretty fast?

I don't know much about EDP applicants, but the U has been historically pretty slow when it comes to the application process. For reference, I received my secondary in August last year and submitted it the first few days of September. I didn't receive an interview offer until November (for December), and I believe it took about three months to hear back. If I remember correctly, more successful applicants that are accepted hear back earlier because they do not need to jump from review committee meeting to meeting. However, for applicants such as mine, it sounds like it might have gone through several reviews before I was wait listed.

In any case, if things are anything like last year (and, from what I hear, like previous years), they will be thorough and make sure their class is well-put together. The U requires quite a bit of patience!

With that said, good luck everyone, particularly all you EDP applicants!

Got my secondary yesterday! Struggling with all these essays! There are so many...the early childhood essay does not appeal to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview invitation this morning. The date options were August 30th or Sept 2. (ps. im ED). Good luck everyone!

I just received an interview invite too. I'm also EDP. Any current students / alumni have any recommendations?

I just received an interview invitation this morning. The date options were August 30th or Sept 2. (ps. im ED). Good luck everyone!

I just received an interview invite too. I'm also EDP. Any current students / alumni have any recommendations?

Congrats to you both! Hoping those invites will be coming soon to those of who applied regular decision.

:corny:

Last edited:
I also received an interview invite this morning in my email. I am also EDP. I am shooting for the Sept 2 interview date. Good luck to everybody.

What would you like a recommendation on? :)

Know "why U of MN" as opposed to just why Minn in general...know issues in medicine and why you really want to be a doctor. Concrete examples. Have some specific questions for your interviewer.

Good luck and congrats to everyone with interviews so far!

Oh, and I just want to say that it is the first week of class and my anat group has already spent extra time in the lab, and we aren't the only ones. It is really excellent that they give us the door code and then we have as much access ti the cadavers as we need. Histo is set up similarly...
...In case anyone wanted school-specific info ;)

For all those that have invitations to interview, what was the latest date that was available? (i.e. September 10 versus September 16)

For all those that have invitations to interview, what was the latest date that was available? (i.e. September 10 versus September 16)

The only dates they offered were August 30th and September 2nd. I think most of the invites sent out have been for the Early Decision applicants only.

The only dates they offered were August 30th and September 2nd. I think most of the invites sent out have been for the Early Decision applicants only.

Sounds good, thanks for the input!

in-state over here, great stats and still no secondary! lol and I actually work in a lab at the U of M medical school. Maybe I should walk to the admissions office down the hall and ask them to hurry it up a bit....;)

So for the first essay questions about "early life experiences", how early did you guys go? Do they mean early in your journey to becoming a physician i.e. start of college, or do they mean early as in growing up as a child? To me it sounds like the latter...

So for the first essay questions about "early life experiences", how early did you guys go? Do they mean early in your journey to becoming a physician i.e. start of college, or do they mean early as in growing up as a child? To me it sounds like the latter...

I touched on specifics experiences that started me on the path to becoming a physician. The character limit became the main issue for me (I think it was 1500?). Just not that much space to dwell on particular events. Mine was short, sweet, and to the point.

:luck: to you!

I talked about my experience as a child as a whole, from young childhood to high school, specifically about my parents' decision to enroll me in specific programs and schools. I really didn't talk about physician-specific things.

But yeah, I would say anything formative prior to college would apply.

I wonder how much longer it will be before the regular apps start to hear. I've been complete for over a month and I am starting to get anxious lol.

On my track progress page I am getting this message: "All Supplemental Materials Received - No. One or more supplemental materials have not been received and/or processed. See above, but also note that it takes time to process some application materials. If you recently submitted your online application, it may take several days for this field to be updated."

All of my stuff has been submitted for over two weeks. Are they waiting to review out of state applications or what?

I wonder how much longer it will be before the regular apps start to hear. I've been complete for over a month and I am starting to get anxious lol.

Like I said earlier, don't be surprised if "a while" is the correct answer... Historically the U has been slower with their applicants for whatever reason, whether to be sure of their interview invites or just because they devote less time to it per day, and I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't until mid-September that most of us hear back.

In any case, last year I was completely at the end of August, got an interview in December, and was wait listed the beginning of March. Of course, I was probably less qualified then than I am now, but it still gives you an idea.

Last year people were waiting about 12-15 weeks to hear back after their interviews.

I will say it provoked a lot of anxiety, but it sure did teach be about patience, haha...

I know... I know your right. I'm still getting anxious though.

I'm an OOS complete on 8/3. Still no secondary here. Anyone else still in the same boat?

Man, I would really love to stay in the Cities for med school. Too bad I'm OOS :(

I go to the U as an undergrad, and the dean of the med school has said in premed info sessions that the med school doesn't even begin to look at applicants until August...so it'll be a long while before things start moving. Unlike other schools, he also said there isn't an advantage to applying early to the U, so they will take their sweet time.

About the screen, I don't know about the GPA cutoff, but MCAT is definitely 25 this year.

I'm IS applicant, turned AMCAS in end of June and received secondary earlier this week. I'm surprised other applicants haven't received theirs.

I'm not early decision.

I'm an OOS complete on 8/3. Still no secondary here. Anyone else still in the same boat?

Yep, my primary was verified on 8/4 and no secondary from yet. Good news is I'm already done with most of my other secondaries so when/if I get one from here I should have no troubles finding the time to write all these essays.

Yep, my primary was verified on 8/4 and no secondary from yet. Good news is I'm already done with most of my other secondaries so when/if I get one from here I should have no troubles finding the time to write all these essays.

I might have already said this, but I actually enjoyed writing the essays for the U (both years). They put different spins on the "common" secondary questions...

I might have already said this, but I actually enjoyed writing the essays for the U (both years). They put different spins on the "common" secondary questions...

In retrospect I did too though this was one of my earlier ones so I am not sure I appreciated it as much as I should have. What would make me like it even more was if they decided they liked me :)

So I had my interview yesterday, and thought I might have some information you all would appreciate. To begin, 10 EDP students received interview invitations this year (Aug 30th and Sept 2) Yesterday at 9:15 was the first interview of the year. This year, interview questions by faculty members are standardized, meaning they have sheet of specific questions that they all need to ask every student interviewed. These questions are extremely straightforward and are nothing to stress about. Ex: why Mn?, Give occasion when you were a leader, when did you experience an ethical dillema etc. Don't over prepare. These faculty members have read all of your application materials MINUS your MCAT/GPA. The second interview is with a 4th year med student and this interview is completely closed. What you will get depends entirely on the individual. Our day started with a presentation from dean white and the financial aid office. We were told to expect a personal phone call from the dean inviting us to attend if accepted. Hope this helps, and good luck to you all! :)

hey, I think I saw you guys on the tour yesterday. Looked like a couple med students were showing off the horrible biomed library. I work underneath the library in the dark creepy maze of animal research labs. Hope the interview went well!

On a different note, did it take a while for anyone's secondary to show that their fee had been received? I got an e-mail that said processing time is 48 hours, but that was a week ago and it still says I haven't paid.

I called them on 8/27. I was told my app was listed as "being screened," and I should hear back very soon regarding a secondary.

Hey guys!

Im a canadian applying to minnesota.

I just got an email from them because I added their school yesterday. It says I can either pick 1 or both campuses at minnesota and each application costs $75.

But, I hear both campuses screen for secondaries? Thus, if I apply to both campuses, I don't have to pay the $75 fees until I receive a secondary from them?

Thanks!

Hey guys!

Im a canadian applying to minnesota.

I just got an email from them because I added their school yesterday. It says I can either pick 1 or both campuses at minnesota and each application costs $75.

But, I hear both campuses screen for secondaries? Thus, if I apply to both campuses, I don't have to pay the $75 fees until I receive a secondary from them?

Thanks!

I don't know about Duluth but Twin Cities you don't pay till after the screen. I am sure you know this but Duluth has a really strong rural medicine commitment so I have heard it is pretty difficult to get in unless you can demonstrate your dedication to rural medicine. It also helps if you are from a small town.

I don't know about Duluth but Twin Cities you don't pay till after the screen. I am sure you know this but Duluth has a really strong rural medicine commitment so I have heard it is pretty difficult to get in unless you can demonstrate your dedication to rural medicine. It also helps if you are from a small town.

Even with that, they have a pretty strong residential requirement. I was a perfect fit, but non-resident and they weren't interested.

Ok thanks guys!

Anyone know if Twin Cities accept canadians? Also, are they focused on rural medicine as well?

I thought I heard that they give canadians the same consideration as OOS applicants.

Thanks!

Ok thanks guys!

Anyone know if Twin Cities accept canadians? Also, are they focused on rural medicine as well?

I thought I heard that they give canadians the same consideration as OOS applicants.

Thanks!

I don't think Twin Cities has as much of a rural focus. However, I think there's an elective rotation in rural primary care. The Twin Cities campus IS, however, a big producer of primary care physicians. But if you look at the match list you'll see that most people match at the U of M Medical Center and stay in the cities.

Ok thanks guys!

Thanks!

TC campus does not focus on rural medicine. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're pretty serious about research.

Status
Not open for further replies.