best way to tackle experimental passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXtaco25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, By looking at weak points of mine, it is clear that experimental passages are the death of me. Now I know the best way to get better is to practice them, but how do yall approach these types of passages? Do yall thoroughly read the whole passage? Skim? What is your thought process while going through these?

Any help would be great, these seem to give me the most trouble!

Members don't see this ad.

This is what I typically do. Probably not for everyone.

• I skim to get to the gist of the experiment: what are they looking for. I note the existence of any data in graph/table form but i don't study the results carefully unless a question asks.
  • I read the procedures pretty carefully, highlighting values (experimenter poured 20 mL of 6M HCl and stuff like that).
  • I pay pretty close attention to any equations; maybe even writing them down on the scrap paper.
  • I look for figures of an apparatus and mentally note any dimensions.

My ultimate goal is to (a) highlight numbers, dimensions, or values for quick reference; and (b) get the basic gist of what the experimenters wanted to do. Then I answer the questions and refer back to the passage when necessary.