It's sad to be asian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chankovsky

Any brothers/sisters out there who fill my pain. Our stats may be better than some URM, but at the end of the day, they are the ones who will take our spots. It doesn't help either that our ethnicity is over-represented at med. schools in this country. Any insights on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh, I am in the same boat as you. Live with it, there is nothing that can be done.

People like you make me ashamed to be a premed who happens to be Asian.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, you wouldnt have to worry about the URM taking your spot if you have a strong application. Work harder, worry less.

Chankovsky said:
Any brothers/sisters out there who fill my pain. Our stats may be better than some URM, but at the end of the day, they are the ones who will take our spots. It doesn't help either that our ethnicity is over-represented at med. schools in this country. Any insights on this?

I'd much rather see a med school class that is well-represented by people of diverse background, not just in terms of ethnicity, but also experience, interests, etc., than see a class with really high stats. It's important for doctors to be able to relate to where patients are coming from, in order to effectively communicate, educate, and empower. That's why it's important not to just look at stats for admission, but other aspects as well.

SanDiegoSOD said:
You know, you wouldnt have to worry about the URM taking your spot if you have a strong application. Work harder, worry less.

Shouldn't we be giving this same advice to URMs? NAH! :rolleyes:

babyface said:
I'd much rather see a med school class that is well-represented by people of diverse background, not just in terms of ethnicity, but also experience, interests, etc., than see a class with really high stats. It's important for doctors to be able to relate to where patients are coming from, in order to effectively communicate, educate, and empower. That's why it's important not to just look at stats for admission, but other aspects as well.

Good, why consider stats at all then? Why only consider stats for some and not others? What, you want some brainiacs and the remainder of the class will "balance" out their robotic nerdiness? What are you, kidding me with this reasoning?

No offense, but everyone has to face their adversities in getting to med school. If you're not willing to work a little bit harder to make yourself a competitive applicant, then no one is stealing your spot to med school - you're losing it on your own.

I don't mean to sound accusatory, but these threads miss the point entirely. Either you suck it up and work hard, or find another career. You can't change the races of people who apply to med school or the way med schools do their admissions - what you can change is the strength of your application.

agp4 said:
No offense, but everyone has to face their adversities in getting to med school. If you're not willing to work a little bit harder to make yourself a competitive applicant, then no one is stealing your spot to med school - you're losing it on your own.

Shouldn't we be giving this same advice to URMs? Nah! :rolleyes:

I like being Asian. Asian girls are the best.

kinetic said:
Shouldn't we be giving this same advice to URMs? NAH! :rolleyes:

NO... Because you dont hear about URMs complaining about the unfair admissions process. My advice was directed towards those that feel they are screwed out of med school because some minority didnt work as hard but got into school anyways. It's a totally cop-out excuse to give an unsuccessfull pre-med reason to pity themselves.
And dont give me crap about not knowing what its like - I'm white.

Members don't see this ad :)
SanDiegoSOD said:
NO... Because you dont hear about URMs complaining about the unfair admissions process.

Sure you do. That's why we have AA. P.S. I don't care about your skin color; supporting an injust policy is stupid no matter what race you are.

I thought you were going to say you were sad about being asian because of the small penis thing.

Seriously, last year, when I was applying I felt like we should only give extra consideration to people from disadvantaged backgrounds. And I still think socio-economics is a greater predictor of future success. Poor people have limited access to many things. Giving a break to a black kid, that is first or second generation, and his parents are professionals over a disadvantaged asian, black, white, etc, is wrong. However, I also want to see a full range of different races, backgrounds and people represented in the medical profession. Answers aren't clear, but the debate and questioning is important.

kinetic said:
Sure you do. That's why we have AA. P.S. I don't care about your skin color; supporting an injust policy is stupid no matter what race you are.

Oh, I dont support the policy at all. I just choose not to worry or bitch about it; its not going to make me a better applicant or doctor.
So go ahead and harbor your resentment, cause you're only hurting yourself.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Oh, I dont support the policy at all. I just choose not to worry or bitch about it; its not going to make me a better applicant or doctor.

Stay within the lines; the lines are your friends.

SanDiegoSOD said:

Just what is affirmative action supposed to do? Educators trumpet the virtues of "diverse" campuses, but their enthusiasm dates suspiciously to a 1972 court decision suggesting diversity as a legal justification for preferences.

Ordinary Americans are more practical. Those sympathetic to affirmative action assume that it offers concrete benefits to disadvantaged students. They hope that preferences will narrow our nation's painful racial divide along such metrics as income, literacy, homeownership and health.

But affirmative action in this sense is a myth. Admissions preferences do not offer practical empowerment to struggling citizens. They do not bridge society's racial chasms. They do not address real social problems.

For one thing, affirmative action does not send more minorities to college. Most four-year colleges and universities in America are not selective; they take anyone with a standard high school education and a Pell grant. This means that race-based preferences are relevant only to the 20-30 percent of American colleges that enjoy substantially more applicants than places. Students attending these schools have many other college options.

The reason that more minority students don't get college degrees has nothing to do with competitive admissions policies. The truth is that most minority students leave high school without the minimum credentials necessary to attend any four-year school, selective or not....

Minority under-representation in college is the direct result of the public schools' failure to prepare minority students. It is a failure that affirmative action does not remedy -- college-ready minorities already attend college just as often as their white counterparts.

Affirmative action thus does not send more minority students to college. But it does redistribute college-bound minorities from less academically selective schools to more selective ones....

-Cato Institute

I totally understand the OP's disdain of "the system." Asians are considered a minority in the US; however, they are represented in higher education and profesions such as medicine, engineer etc. Because of this, they are not considered URM. The difference between asians and "white" applicants is that caucasians are the majority in the US and are also very very well-represented in medicine. This injust treatment is also applicable to a lesser degree to hispanics that are not mainland puerto rican. Yet, some schools give lots of preferential treatment to non-URM hispanics from the caribbean or south america.

TTSD said:
I like being Asian. Asian girls are the best.

Asian girls make me feel funny. Maybe some day I'll work up the nerve to talk to one. Or any girl for that matter...

Ryo-Ohki said:
Just what is affirmative action supposed to do? Educators trumpet the virtues of "diverse" campuses, but their enthusiasm dates suspiciously to a 1972 court decision suggesting diversity as a legal justification for preferences.

Ordinary Americans are more practical. Those sympathetic to affirmative action assume that it offers concrete benefits to disadvantaged students. They hope that preferences will narrow our nation's painful racial divide along such metrics as income, literacy, homeownership and health.

But affirmative action in this sense is a myth. Admissions preferences do not offer practical empowerment to struggling citizens. They do not bridge society's racial chasms. They do not address real social problems.

For one thing, affirmative action does not send more minorities to college. Most four-year colleges and universities in America are not selective; they take anyone with a standard high school education and a Pell grant. This means that race-based preferences are relevant only to the 20-30 percent of American colleges that enjoy substantially more applicants than places. Students attending these schools have many other college options.

The reason that more minority students don't get college degrees has nothing to do with competitive admissions policies. The truth is that most minority students leave high school without the minimum credentials necessary to attend any four-year school, selective or not....

Minority under-representation in college is the direct result of the public schools' failure to prepare minority students. It is a failure that affirmative action does not remedy -- college-ready minorities already attend college just as often as their white counterparts.

Affirmative action thus does not send more minority students to college. But it does redistribute college-bound minorities from less academically selective schools to more selective ones....

-Cato Institute
nice.....i think i'm in love now :love:

Chankovsky said:

And who decided that these were YOUR spots anyway? You have to earn a spot, Nobody can "steal" a spot from you.

medic170 said:
And who decided that these were YOUR spots anyway? You have to earn a spot, Nobody can "steal" a spot from you.

and earning the spot because they have a different color skin? That makes perfect sense. I'm asian, but my chair is kinda curly and i have big eyes, let me go tan myself and maybe i'll look latino.

hnbui said:
and earning the spot because they have a different color skin? That makes perfect sense. I'm asian, but my chair is kinda curly and i have big eyes, let me go tan myself and maybe i'll look latino.

I oppose the current AA policies too. However, that still does not make them YOUR spots

medic170 said:
I oppose the current AA policies too. However, that still does not make them YOUR spots

i never believe that it's my spot. But i believe that if there is a spot left it should go to the better qualified applicant, despite the color of their skin.

hnbui said:
i never believe that it's my spot. But i believe that if there is a spot left it should go to the better qualified applicant, despite the color of their skin.

The op thought they were his spots though. I thought you were defending him. My mistake

medic170 said:
The op thought they were his spots though. I thought you were defending him. My mistake

yeah i'm not agreeing with him in that sense. I'm just against AA.

medic170 said:

There was this idiot that filed a friend of the court brief in the Michigan case awhile back. I recall it quite well. Paraphrased: "We find that black consumers respond better when the salesperson is black." Interesting, no? They were arguing that we should keep AA, which was intended to curb racism, merely in order to placate racist blacks.

You know. I bet if I shoved a chunk of coal up the butts of everyone in this forum, 90% of the people would crap out a diamond.

gizmoduck said:
You know. I bet if I shoved a chunk of coal up the butts of everyone in this forum, 90% of the people would crap out a diamond.

that's disturbingly funny :)

By the way, I got put on probation and my post deleted for posting a "what is the lowest stats an URM you know that still got into medical school had" thread.

And just think. We'll be rich!

Thearchitect said:
By the way, I got put on probation and my post deleted for posting a "what is the lowest stats an URM you know that still got into medical school had" thread.

If true, that's disturbing.

kinetic said:

I agree. It seems a little nazi to me.

gizmoduck said:
And just think. We'll be rich!

Yes, the ends apparently DO justify the means. Good for you and the power of rationalization!

I do what I can...

gizmoduck said:

Well it wouldnt happen to you gizmoduck, you are loose as a goose. :laugh:

kinetic said:

What's really disturbing is that I'm am an URM and I was honestly curious as to how much beer guzzling, class skipping, and ***** chasing I could do and still get accepted. I don't think they liked that much when I said that. They are so biased here.

Don't tell us the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can't handle reality. Mamby-pamby "should I bring my He-man lunchbox to general chem lab" posts only, please.

!dr_nick! said:
Well it wouldnt happen to you gizmoduck, you are loose as a goose. :laugh:

This forum has no emoticon to properly express how that makes me feel.

LP1CW said:
I thought you were going to say you were sad about being asian because of the small penis thing. .

Yeah, I think this is much WORSE than losing "your spot" to an underqualified URM. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thearchitect said:
What's really disturbing is that I'm am an URM and I was honestly curious as to how much beer guzzling, class skipping, and ***** chasing I could do and still get accepted. I don't think they liked that much when I said that. They are so biased here.

Don't tell us the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We can't handle reality. Mamby-pamby "should I bring my He-man lunchbox to general chem lab" posts only, please.

If you brought a He-Man lunchbox to lab, I'd be forced to beat you with it.

gizmoduck said:
This forum has no emoticon to properly express how that makes me feel.

Blatant rip off of Comic Book Guy.

kinetic said:
Blatant rip off of Comic Book Guy.

Everything out of that guy's mouth is some ripoff.

Thearchitect said:
Everything out of that guy's mouth is some ripoff.

Duffman says a lot of things.

Hey I look like comic book guy so I might as well act like him. Now back to these asian girls. Are any of them in here and do they like middle-aged, balding, white men who live at home with their mother?

Premedtomed said:

Good. We need more people who support admissions of unqualified individuals.