call program to coax your way to an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingleberry007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that students have often called programs that have not invited them to interviews and coaxed their way into an invite. Can someone please explain how this is done? Maybe I'm missing something but if a program rejects you, I don't get how calling would change their mind. Wouldn't EVERYONE be calling 24/7 if this worked? Does anyone have any experience with this? what do you say when you call? is it better to call or email?

thanks for all your help friends...

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt this works very often. Once my reject notices start to go out, I get flooded with emails asking me to rereview applications, that I must have missed how outstanding their application was, etc. These mostly go into the trash. Phone calls get screened by my office staff, if you're rejected you don't usually make it to my phone.

But, if it's your dream program, what do you have to lose?

what if you haven't gotten rejected yet...is it a good idea to call programs to 'coax' for an interview somehow? and if it is possible, how do you go about doing that?

what if you haven't gotten rejected yet...is it a good idea to call programs to 'coax' for an interview somehow? and if it is possible, how do you go about doing that?

You can always call the program simply to ask for a status report on your application review. Obviously don't be too pushy. But rather than you calling the program, it may be more effective to have your advisor or one of your letter writers call the program on your behalf. Doesn’t always work, but you might be able to land at least a courtesy interview. Which is still a foot in the door.

A common way is for you to call a program that is geographically close to another one you have been granted an interview at. I called the office and said I was going to be in the area and was wondering if there was any way I could interview there around the same time. This felt ok since there aren't any rejections that you get in the field I was applying for so you can act like you think they might offer you an interview later anyway and you are just trying to make it more convenient. Don't know if it will help you get in if they didn't really want you though.

I've heard that students have often called programs that have not invited them to interviews and coaxed their way into an invite. Can someone please explain how this is done? Maybe I'm missing something but if a program rejects you, I don't get how calling would change their mind. Wouldn't EVERYONE be calling 24/7 if this worked? Does anyone have any experience with this? what do you say when you call? is it better to call or email?

thanks for all your help friends...

This doesn't work. And if I ever got a call like that from an applicant who was on the margin, then a cold call would be an easy way for the application to make it to the trash pile.

A better strategy would be to ask people who are somehow affiliated with the program to vouch for you. This may include current residents, former residents, faculty, etc. I have observed marginal candidates get interviews this way.

-AT.

Just call and say exactly the following:

"Hi, may I please speak to the PROGRAM COORDINATOR. (not the program director/chair)."

-PROGRAM COORDINATOR- Hello this is the program coordinator.

My name is INSERT NAME, and I'm a 4th year medical student applying to your residency program. I'm very interested in your program and I just wanted to check on the status of my application.

You will get one of 3 responses

1. We are still reviewing apps but I will let you know asap. I will note that you called in your file.

2. We were just about to send an email informing you of an interview invite. When would be a good time to schedule you?

3. I'm sorry, but currently you are on the secondary list for an interview. If we have something open up, you may possibly hear from us.

If you receive response 3, just state the following. "OK, I understand. I'm still very interested in your program, and would be happy to take any interview spot even on very short notice. Thanks for your help.

Program Coordinator - "Ok, I'll make note of that in your file, thanks for calling."

Program Coordinator after hanging up, "That was a very nice, polite medical student. I think I'll put his file to the top of the pile."

Very easy to do and won't hurt you at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Fixed that for you: :laugh:

Just call and say exactly the following:

"Hi, may I please speak to the PROGRAM COORDINATOR. (not the program director/chair)."

-PROGRAM COORDINATOR- Hello this is the program coordinator.

My name is INSERT NAME, and I'm a 4th year medical student applying to your residency program. I'm very interested in your program and I just wanted to check on the status of my application.

You will get one of 3 responses

1. We are still reviewing apps but I will let you know asap. I will note that you called in your file.

2. We were just about to send an email informing you of an interview invite. When would be a good time to schedule you?

3. I'm sorry, but currently you are on the secondary list for an interview. If we have something open up, you may possibly hear from us.

If you receive response 3, just state the following. "OK, I understand. I'm still very interested in your program, and would be happy to take any interview spot even on very short notice. Thanks for your help.

Program Coordinator - "Ok, I'll make note of that in your file, thanks for calling."

Program Coordinator after hanging up, "Seems like a crazy type A personality, calling when we've had applications for less than a week. Not my cup of tea. Bottom of the pile, or reject? Let's flip a coin"

Very easy to do and won't hurt you at all.

I agree to not call programs prematurely.

From one residency program, I got a letter stating that they are in the process of reviewing applications and that calling to check on the status of your application will reflect poorly on the applicant. But I don't think this represents all programs.

Maybe it is best to talk to programs indirectly via such people as residents or attendings that are friends/ acquiantances with the applicant, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Ha, yea don't call now. Wait until at least October.

Agree with aProgDirector.

Even October is too early to be pestering programs about interviews. In general, by now if you have not yet been offered an interview from a particular program, there may be several reasons for this. They may be one of those programs that waits until the Dean's Letter for all applicants. If not, then it means that their initial screen of your application has revealed you to be in the bottom tail of the distribution of their applicant pool historically, and they are going to (a) wait until they see your Dean's Letter to see if that makes your application look more attractive to them; or they may want to see how deep into the bottom of the barrel they need to dig to fill their class, which means they will (b) wait until they have interviewed a few other applicants to see whether the quality distribution of this year's applicant pool looks any different from their historical distribution, or (c) wait until other higher quality applicants have canceled their interviews before offering you one.

Irrespective of the actual reason, in none of the above scenarios will calling to pester them about your application change whether you are actually offered an interview spot or not.

-AT.