What is your motivation for becoming a doctor???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burge

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been paging through different forums and reading all the writings and always one question popped up in my mind. What is your motivation for becoming a doctor? Secondly I think this question is one of the most important questions you can ask yourself (it'll help on that personal statement). So I figured it's time for some honesty!!! Since this forum is anonymous, why are all you out there taking the plunge? Is it the salary? The Pestige? The Respect? Cause your parents told you so? For compassion's sake? I'm curious, let me know folks....and lets hear the honest truth!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

(I) Curiosity (is it even possible)

(II) Don't wanna be shut in an office from 9 am to 5 pm

(III) Looks good on the family

(IV) Job security (no ones gonna lay you off)

1. I want a job that allows me to be social and intellectually challenged at the same time
2. job security
3. I want autonomy, and the ability to make decisions
4. flexibility, the skills you learn in a US medical school are very valued, so I would be able to practice here and in developing countries
5. i can't imagine doing anything else

It feels nice to articulate these things

Members don't see this ad :)
AAAH attack of the clones!

Ross434 said:
AAAH attack of the clones!

:laugh:

At least the title of the thread is phrased somewhat differently.

1. Because I am find medicine fascinating.
2. I don't want a boring dead end job where I sit at a desk from 9-5.
3. I want a career that I will enjoy working in.
4. I want to do something meaningful (helping others).

drburo, your avatars never ceases to distract me

because I want to help people :p

byeh2004 said:
drburo, your avatars never ceases to distract me

I try my best to give you guys some eye candy.

Job security, prestige, and because I like the stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
doctor changed/saved my life, so I'm trying to repair a debt I'll never be able to repay.

(sorry if that sounds corny)

HOT NURSES...i believe i said it before

I've wanted to become a doctor for a while, mainly because I want to make a difference in the lives of others and because I'm fascinated with the innerworkings of the human body. But there's also another reason. Last August, a childhood friend of mine was killed in horrific car accident. He died on the operating table at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, Tennessee. I feel like if I had been there, I might have been able to do something the doctors that worked on him didn't do. And I might have saved his life. So I guess the main reason I want to become a doctor is because I feel like I could be successful where others have failed and save lives in the process.

dhoonlee said:
1894220.standard.jpg

I think that's a dead horse... :laugh:

prestige, looks good in family, money, and most of all...because i really love it.

Burge said:
I've been paging through different forums and reading all the writings and always one question popped up in my mind. What is your motivation for becoming a doctor? Secondly I think this question is one of the most important questions you can ask yourself (it'll help on that personal statement). So I figured it's time for some honesty!!! Since this forum is anonymous, why are all you out there taking the plunge? Is it the salary? The Pestige? The Respect? Cause your parents told you so? For compassion's sake? I'm curious, let me know folks....and lets hear the honest truth!!!!
Are you filling out your secondaries?

Helping others, job satisfaction, i could never sit at a desk and push papers all day. I would love surgery. Not plastics, but being able to cut into somebody's body and sculpt their defect and make it healthy. There would be no reason to do any drugs. Surgery is an art.

I would guess that many of the "quality" reasons (i.e. not the money, prestige and trio) that people give for becoming physicians are quite true but their frequency of usage makes them very cliche and subsequently insincere. Nonetheless I think some people very much find that using their intellect and compassion to generate income while being given a tremendous degree of responsability is something that they find very appealing and incomparable as a profession. Saying exactly that though, often comes out very predictably which unfortunately leads to their intentions (and thus, themselves) being dismissed.

DrBuro said:
I try my best to give you guys some eye candy.

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn girl......do you look like her in person?

My motivation is that:

- I could never do anything that wasn't civil service.

-medicine is very interesting

Main reason- I have more compassion than I know what to do with. Even if I don't make it as a MD I will be a healer in some way, I know that. It really troubles me that people are in suffering, and I have a deep desire to end it.

Peace.

riceman04 said:
daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn girl......do you look like her in person?

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn girl... I'm a dude. Total damper, huh?

DrBuro said:
the ppl with the hot chicks as icons are always dudes, always dampers but im learning to be a cynic

DrBuro said:
Buro, I do believe you just riuned a young man's day.
:laugh:

The rush that someone's life will be in my hands. How can work ever be boring? Plus you're compensated quite well if you go into a specialty as I plan to do.

got kicked out of clown college. med school's my back-up plan :p

1. The information. Being exposed to a huge volume of information and shoving it all into my brain.

2. Versatility. Many possibilities with an MD.

3. Don't want to be working when I'm over 60. Hope I can pinch pennies and retire.

4. Knowing when I die that I pushed my mind and body to the limit.

5. Everything else seems really boring.

Burge said:

Billy Rubin said:
1. The information. Being exposed to a huge volume of information and shoving it all into my brain.

2. Versatility. Many possibilities with an MD.

3. Don't want to be working when I'm over 60. Hope I can pinch pennies and retire.

4. Knowing when I die that I pushed my mind and body to the limit.

5. Everything else seems really boring.

I just want to make a difference in people's lives. Cliche and corny, I know, but that's the reason. I've had a lot of illness in my family along with a lot of doctors whose kindness and skills have helped us incredibly. I want to give back to people, it makes me happy