Do I have a realistic shot at becoming a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfiskman

Reaction score
Hi all! Aspiring physician here, and I’d really like to hear the community’s thoughts on my competitiveness.

I am a non-traditional white male who is looking to transition to medicine after 10 years in the tech industry, most recently as a Senior Product Manager. My educational background though is, well, quite unique. I dropped out of high school in 10th grade simply because I was bored and went straight to college at my local CC. During that time, I bounced around multiple universities in several states (6 in fact) with mediocre grades as I cared for my grandfather. I later enlisted in the Navy but was injured in boot and cycled out. I came home to return to school, but eventually, I dropped out of college to start a company with a few colleagues. We had great success and were later acquired, and I then went into industry leaving school in the past.

Later on, I went back to school, attending ASU Online, and got a degree. I achieved a 3.8 GPA over the span of about 16 courses and finished undergrad with an overall GPA of 3.4. I then did a premed post bacc at Northwestern University and attained a 4.0 post bacc GPA and received a 518 on the MCAT.

During the last few years while making this transition, I’ve volunteered with a local free clinic helping the less fortunate with their care (overall around 400 hours of volunteer hours), volunteered at the local veteran’s hospital helping vets where I can (overall around 150 hours), and shadowed physicians of multiple specialties including a cardio thoracic surgeon, a radiation oncologist, and a cardiologist (overall around 100 hours).

I am now preparing to apply next cycle with my top programs of choice being UChicago, Pitt, UCLA, Emory, and Case. Obviously, I will be applying up and down, and I intend to apply to close to 60 programs including a few DO schools. With all of that said, am I competitive for the programs I’m looking at? Am I competitive at all?

Thanks, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Florida resident. 48 credit hours at Northwestern.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Emory
Tulane
Duke
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Albany
Dartmouth
Brown
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Case Western
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Northwestern
U Chicago
Medical College Wisconsin
For DO schools you could try these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM

I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Florida
Florida State
Central Florida
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Miami
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Emory
Tulane
Duke
Vanderbilt
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
Columbia
Albany
Dartmouth
Brown
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Case Western
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Northwestern
U Chicago
Medical College Wisconsin
For DO schools you could try these:
CCOM
MU-COM
DMU-COM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM
Seeing some of the programs you listed out here gives me a lot of confidence. Thank you! This matches a lot of what I have pulled together, so this is very reassuring to what I’m doing.