List of Strongest Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strong3ad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a list somewhere, of the best psych programs with regards to overall training. So far I've found lists of research dollars and the US news & World Report list, but I don't think those are necessarily representative of the best places to train? I'm having trouble ranking places as I interviewed all over the country and to me training is more important that location.

If not I don't mind listing a bunch of places I'm thinking of and maybe everyone can give there input?

Thanks for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

It is entirely too subjective. Rank based on your impressions and preferences. No doubt that could include data such as research rankings, "prestige" factors, etc,. but unless you're planning a high powered academic career, these are over-valued.

You could post your list and expose it to everyone else's subjective opinions, but you'll likely just be getting the same old rehash of everyone's usual biases, hearsay, and scuttlebutt.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a list somewhere, of the best psych programs with regards to overall training. So far I've found lists of research dollars and the US news & World Report list, but I don't think those are necessarily representative of the best places to train? I'm having trouble ranking places as I interviewed all over the country and to me training is more important that location.

If not I don't mind listing a bunch of places I'm thinking of and maybe everyone can give there input?

Thanks for the help!!

the "best" programs are generally the ones you would think would be best.......USCF, Stanford, UCLA, Mayo, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Duke, NYU, Harvard, (and 5-6 more), etc........

but of all the psych programs in the match, pretty much all(except maybe a few horrendous northeast programs) will prepare you to practice in most community settings......

and most of the programs will even position you for fellowships(maybe not at columbia or ucsf or whatever, but you'll still get a fellowship).....

honestly, unless your goal is to eventually be a faculty member at columbia or ucsf, most psych programs will serve you fine in reaching your eventual goal......and thats what is great about the psych match.

the "best" programs are generally the ones you would think would be best.......USCF, Stanford, UCLA, Mayo, Columbia, Cornell, Penn, Duke, NYU, Harvard, (and 5-6 more), etc........

but of all the psych programs in the match, pretty much all(except maybe a few horrendous northeast programs) will prepare you to practice in most community settings......

and most of the programs will even position you for fellowships(maybe not at columbia or ucsf or whatever, but you'll still get a fellowship).....

honestly, unless your goal is to eventually be a faculty member at columbia or ucsf, most psych programs will serve you fine in reaching your eventual goal......and thats what is great about the psych match.

What he said.

And Kugel can keep his scuttley old butt...:p

I realize that I'll be getting subjective opinions but I like to hear what people think. I'm not sure the places I'm looking at are necessarily heavy hitters, but I think they would be a good fit for me. From West to east:

UCLA SVF
Banner Good Sam - phx
University of Arizona
UT-SW Austin
Wash U
UIC
Rush
University of Louisville
Case Western
Ohio State
University of Virginia
University of Florida
University of Miami
Dartmouth

Thanks for the help,

Let the scuttlebutt begin!!

So why are you posting in the psych forum if you think psych is so stupid, and you only hung out here to troll? Or were you just lying in the derm forum? And how the hell do you know anything about psych programs if your latest story in derm is at all true? You know, where you said you hated psych and only started posting here to make fun of how easy it is to match in psych?

For reference --

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=702351

1. click on the poster's name
2. choose "add ____ to your ignore list
3. when asked if you are sure you want to add ___ to your ignore list, answer "Yes."

So why are you posting in the psych forum if you think psych is so stupid, and you only hung out here to troll? Or were you just lying in the derm forum? And how the hell do you know anything about psych programs if your latest story in derm is at all true? You know, where you said you hated psych and only started posting here to make fun of how easy it is to match in psych?

For reference --

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=702351

Maybe s/he had to apply to psych as a backup, since psych is so "easy" to match into :laugh:

Last edited:
1. click on the poster's name
2. choose "add ____ to your ignore list
3. when asked if you are sure you want to add ___ to your ignore list, answer "Yes."

Good call. I love the ignore list. But part of me is really fascinated by people who lie on anonymous internet sites. It's really pathological behavior (harmless, but still, odd).

Good call. I love the ignore list. But part of me is really fascinated by people who lie on anonymous internet sites. It's really pathological behavior (harmless, but still, odd).

I'll second this. Recently I was on a non-medical board where someone was claiming to be working on their MD in neuroscience. Upon questioning what exactly they meant, they stated that they were originally in an MD/PhD program and then transferred to GWU where they don't have an MD/PhD program (which they do) and so they dropped the PhD and are now "pursuing an MD in neuroscience". Anyway, the fact that someone would make something like this up, as you stated, on an anonymous message board, is rather fascinating.

I post here because I like too....duh......

you asked a bunch of questions(none of which had any meaning or were productive) that I'll pass on......

that said, I'll stick to my original answer as far as the OP's question was concerned. If you have anything to add to that, then fine. If you don't, I'd prefer you not communicate with me.

I post here because I like too....duh......

you asked a bunch of questions(none of which had any meaning or were productive) that I'll pass on......

that said, I'll stick to my original answer as far as the OP's question was concerned. If you have anything to add to that, then fine. If you don't, I'd prefer you not communicate with me.

Well, I'd prefer you go away and stop trolling. Pretty pathetic way to get your kicks, IMO. But you're free to place me on your ignore list if my calling you out as a liar bugs you so much.

Reactions: 1 user