For the watch collectors in the group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=99&start=0&rid=0#msg4993808
The Baselworld watch show opens tomorrow showcasing the new range from Rolex, Omega, and many more.
Lots of press release photos available today for the new models, more to come tomorrow. (Including a new orange hand Rolex Explorer II!)
Better get them now, before Obamacare has us all wearing Casios and driving Accords.
 
Last edited:
http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=99&start=0&rid=0#msg4993808
The Baselworld watch show opens tomorrow showcasing the new range from Rolex, Omega, and many more.
Lots of press release photos available today for the new models, more to come tomorrow. (Including a new orange hand Rolex Explorer II!)
Better get them now, before Obamacare has us all wearing Casios and driving Accords.

Sweet link! I was partial to the Patek Philippe Chronograph. I have a comparatively inexpensive Citizen. It has a moon phase indicator which I've always loved for some reason.

Spyyder pointed out this watch in a thread awhile ago, which I think is the coolest watch I've ever seen. I looked it up online, and it costs around $100K, so I doubt I'll ever own it no matter what Obama or any other politician ever does.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, definitely some slick looking watches there. I'm just starting to get interested in watches. Anyone recommend a nice classy looking watch for $500 - $1000? I don't particularly like the look of Tags, though.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, definitely some slick looking watches there. I'm just starting to get interested in watches. Anyone recommend a nice classy looking watch for $500 - $1000? I don't particularly like the look of Tags, though.

If you're able to drop up to $1000, you might want something classier than a Citizen, but I'm a big fan of mine. I've had my eye on the Calibre 8700 for awhile. They also have some simple, elegant titanium watches that look nice. I have the Calibre 8651 with a stainless band and gold trimming that I still quite like.

Anyway, not sure why I'm such a Citizen fan. I don't have stock or anything. 😉
 
Yeah, definitely some slick looking watches there. I'm just starting to get interested in watches. Anyone recommend a nice classy looking watch for $500 - $1000? I don't particularly like the look of Tags, though.
You need to give us a little more info as to what you're looking for.
Mechanical or quartz, dive bezel, date, bracelet or strap, sport or dress, new only or is preowned ok, etc.
 
Yeah, definitely some slick looking watches there. I'm just starting to get interested in watches. Anyone recommend a nice classy looking watch for $500 - $1000? I don't particularly like the look of Tags, though.

I guess the following is below your threshold, but I've always liked tactical / black-on-black analog watches. I'm particularly fond of my Pulsar -- the watch feels extremely solid, and the button mechanisms have just the right amount of give / ratcheting to it. Also has an sub-60-minute alarm timer, which is highly useful for catnaps. Costs $125 (retail $295) on Amazon.

51GjT2x4OwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
 
do you guys know if it's possible to get new older models of Rolex's anymore? for example I really liked the Seadweller, but don't like the DeepSea because it's too thick for my taste. Where can I find a brand new Seadweller, that's 100% genuine.
 
I guess the following is below your threshold, but I've always liked tactical / black-on-black analog watches. I'm particularly fond of my Pulsar -- the watch feels extremely solid, and the button mechanisms have just the right amount of give / ratcheting to it. Also has an sub-60-minute alarm timer, which is highly useful for catnaps. Costs $125 (retail $295) on Amazon.

Does the black wear-off on nicer watches? I have a cheapish Fossil, and after only a week or two of wearing, the "coating" or whatever has worn off on the bottom where I rest my hand. So, there are shiny stainless steel parts with the majority of it being gray.

It gives it a really chintzy look.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Im waiting for my government issued Timex custom signed by Nancy Pelosi, commerative "screw anesthesia" edition................with the Obama Face and Democrat Blue special bezel.

Gonna be a collectors item, im sure of it............I will wear it all the time since Ill have to sell my Rolex and Panerai to make ends meet.
 
Any watch that costs more than $ 200 is a very stupid investment.

Most watches, at any price, is a very stupid "investment" ...

So are vacations. And roller skates. And meals at restaurants that have dress codes. So are about 8,289,214 other things that people spend money on.

Why no scorn for name brand running shoes? They're terrible investments too.


Did you really need to jump into this thread and tell people they're *****s for buying nice watches? Really?
 
If you're able to drop up to $1000, you might want something classier than a Citizen, but I'm a big fan of mine. I've had my eye on the Calibre 8700 for awhile. They also have some simple, elegant titanium watches that look nice. I have the Calibre 8651 with a stainless band and gold trimming that I still quite like.

Anyway, not sure why I'm such a Citizen fan. I don't have stock or anything. 😉
Problem with that is that i have a nice-looking citizen but it blows at keeping time - every day it's off by 10 - 15 mins, and that's AHEAD or BEHIND which makes no sense. It's one of those eco-drives.
 
a solid watch will serve you for decades, if you maintain it properly. true luxury brands will do this - rolex, omega, etc. these watches will also always have a high resale value.

so, instead of spending 1k on an ok watch (which is all you can get for that price and which will not have any resale value), save up (it's not that hard to save an extra couple of grand over a year or so) and buy something truly nice.

otherwise, you'll buy 10 watches over your lifetime totaling thousands of dollars and never truly enjoy any of them (if you like watches). why do this, when you can get something like a http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Seamaster-Automatic-Chronometer-2220-80-00/dp/B0013ZCPWW that is not cheap, but a great value. this is something you'll be able to leave to your kids...
 
Did you really need to jump into this thread and tell people they're *****s for buying nice watches? Really?

I did not tell anyone they are *****s I just said that buying an expensive watch in my opinion is a stupid investment, and that's my personal opinion which you are welcome to ignore.
If you feel that my statement implied that you are stupid then I am not sure how I can help you here.
Chill Mr. moderator.
 
Problem with that is that i have a nice-looking citizen but it blows at keeping time - every day it's off by 10 - 15 mins, and that's AHEAD or BEHIND which makes no sense. It's one of those eco-drives.

It seems like you got stuck with a bum watch? Mine has always kept time well enough for me not to notice any differences. Have you sent it in to Citizen for repair? Their warranty is pretty good, and you might get the repair for free.
 
It's kinda a shame, but my favorite watch from that forum is this Patek Philippe watch:

Patek28.jpg


A shame because I will never own the watch unless I win the lottery (which would be hard since I don't play), or Bill Gates gives it to me as a gift (which would be hard since I don't know Bill Gates).
 
Last edited:
It's kinda a shame, but my favorite watch from that forum is this Philippe Patek watch:

Patek28.jpg


A shame because I will never own the watch unless I win the lottery (which would be hard since I don't play), or Bill Gates gives it to me as a gift (which would be hard since I don't know Bill Gates).

If you could live with a cheaper one than the one in the picture you can probably afford it.
I think you can get one of their silver models for something like $15,000, that's not out of the range you can afford once you are a practicing anesthesiologist, provided we still have jobs at that point in time.
I still think that if you are going to spend this kind of money then it's way more fun to invest in cars or boats.
 
I agree. I bought the last gen Seadweller right before the Deep Sea came out. The size wasn't an issue, but liked the old model better. If I want size, I wear one of my Breitlings, which feel much more substantial than my Rollie.
do you guys know if it's possible to get new older models of Rolex's anymore? for example I really liked the Seadweller, but don't like the DeepSea because it's too thick for my taste. Where can I find a brand new Seadweller, that's 100% genuine.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Watches are not investments, and you don't need more than one watch. But for watch collectors, nothing we do makes any real sense for most sane people.
 
Last edited:
Watches are not investments, and you don't need more than one watch. But for watch collectors, nothing we do makes any real sense for most sane people.

Not every $ spent has to be invested. Some of us have hobbies where we turn money into noise, perforated paper, deformed lead, and empty brass casings ...

At least you've got something to show for your money besides extra work cleaning up. 🙂
 
Hello,

If you are interested in watches, you may want to visit the Otto Frei website. They sell watches and watch parts and kits, as well as tools. You can put together a watch with any case and any movement of your choice. Of course, you will need some tools as well, but if you like that sort of thing, you will want to have those tools anyway. Most expensive watches have Valjoux, ETA, Omega or LeCoultre movement. You can get any of those and make your own watch.

Home page:
http://www.ofrei.com/index.html

Watches already made:
http://www.ofrei.com/page406.html

Mechanical movement:
http://www.ofrei.com/page_181.html

Quartz movement:
http://www.ofrei.com/page_182.html

Main page for materials:
http://www.ofrei.com/WatchMaterials.html

Valjoux movement:
http://www.ofrei.com/page240.html

Omega movement:
http://www.ofrei.com/page624.html

LeCoultre movement:
http://www.ofrei.com/page1310.html

ETA movement:
http://www.ofrei.com/page_183.html

Valjoux or ETA ready to assemble kit (a friend of mine made his own "No-Brand-Rolex" with this kit):
http://www.ofrei.com/page1120.html

I don't do this kind of thing because I learnt about it too late in life, and now, even if I buy a new Citizen or Seiko every year until I die, I will never have spent as much money as a Rolex would cost me.
 
hi guys so one more question for you... Would you ever buy a used rolex? I just graduated med school and my rents wanted me to get a nice watch as a gift, but i feel that if i'd get a new rolex i'd be afraid to wear it anywhere and i have a very durable swiss army watch which still looks nice so I thought it would be a waste to get one. However, I saw the daytona chronograph steel watch with a white face at a Tourneau the other day and it was selling for under $2,000, the lady told me that if I was able to find a new one of those i'd pay about $11,000 for it. That sounds like a great deal to me and Tourneau is a big watch chain.. what do you guys think?

Also how bad would it be if I wore something like that to work? I doubt too many attendings at my hospital would have a watch that nice.
 
Would you ever buy a used rolex?

Most serious watch guys buy second-hand all the time. They're just very, very careful about who they buy from, and condition is everything.

I saw the daytona chronograph steel watch with a white face at a Tourneau the other day and it was selling for under $2,000...i might have mistaken on the price of the watch, however

Tourneau is generally overpriced. There's no way a stainless/white dial Daytona was listed there for $2,000. Even older models will typically go for upwards of $6-$8K (http://www.bernardwatch.com/list.cfm?BrandKey=RLX&startRow=51). Are you sure it wasn't a Tudor? They're made by Rolex using Rolex cases, but non-Rolex movements. Some of them (such as the "Tiger" chrono) resemble the Daytona.

Also how bad would it be if I wore something like that to work? I doubt too many attendings at my hospital would have a watch that nice.

You'd probably have a nicer watch than most attendings if you wore anything costing more than a few hundred dollars. A Rolex is never subtle.
 
Most serious watch guys buy second-hand all the time. They're just very, very careful about who they buy from, and condition is everything.



Tourneau is generally overpriced. There's no way a stainless/white dial Daytona was listed there for $2,000. Even older models will typically go for upwards of $6-$8K (http://www.bernardwatch.com/list.cfm?BrandKey=RLX&startRow=51). Are you sure it wasn't a Tudor? They're made by Rolex using Rolex cases, but non-Rolex movements. Some of them (such as the "Tiger" chrono) resemble the Daytona.



You'd probably have a nicer watch than most attendings if you wore anything costing more than a few hundred dollars. A Rolex is never subtle.


thanks, i'll call up Tourneau today to double check the price.

So you're saying I shouldn't wear this watch at work if do get it?
 
thanks, i'll call up Tourneau today to double check the price.

So you're saying I shouldn't wear this watch at work if do get it?

Lowly pre-med here, and I'll just say I felt out of place wearing a Citizen when I was doing some anesthesiology shadowing. It was definitely the nicest watch I encountered, and I spent time talking with several attendings, a handful of residents, and a med student or two. I stopped wearing it after the first day because I felt like it drew too much attention.
 
Lowly pre-med here, and I'll just say I felt out of place wearing a Citizen when I was doing some anesthesiology shadowing. It was definitely the nicest watch I encountered, and I spent time talking with several attendings, a handful of residents, and a med student or two. I stopped wearing it after the first day because I felt like it drew too much attention.

yeah that's what I am afraid of. and I don't want the watch to just sit on my desk at home, i want to enjoy it. and since being at the hospital will be where I spend a significant portion of my time it would really suck to not be able to wear it there if I wanted to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lowly pre-med here, and I'll just say I felt out of place wearing a Citizen when I was doing some anesthesiology shadowing. It was definitely the nicest watch I encountered, and I spent time talking with several attendings, a handful of residents, and a med student or two. I stopped wearing it after the first day because I felt like it drew too much attention.

I don't know where you work, but the physicians where I work, and worked, routinely have fine Swiss watches. It's nothing to be ashamed of, unless perhaps you are at a community hospital where the majority of the patients are quite poor. Nobody notices a Rolex/Omega, etc. 18k rolex submariner with a diamond dial might be over the top though.
Not feeling comfortable wearing a citizen is pretty funny. I have watch STRAPS that cost more than most citizens!:laugh: Wear whatever you want, who cares what other people think about your spending habits. The same folks that wear $50 Target Casios probably drive $50 or 60k cars.
 
Yeah that's what I am afraid of. and I don't want the watch to just sit on my desk at home, i want to enjoy it. and since being at the hospital will be where I spend a significant portion of my time it would really suck to not be able to wear it there if I wanted to.

Yeah, that's been my biggest hassle with a "nicer" watch. (As IlDestriero points out, a Citizen isn't exactly the finest of fine.) Most of my friends have no interest in watches, so it seems weird to sport a Citizen while they're all wearing either no watch or a $25 Timex. Additionally, at work I sit at a desk all day, so I don't wear the watch because it rubs my wrist when I rest it on my desk. So while I really like the watch, it sits on my dresser for all but a few hours a month.
 
I know two nurses here that wear Rolex - one has gold (works two jobs), and the other has a stainless steel Submariner with the black bezel (I have the green) - he's a captain with the fire department, and a nurse full time. Go figure. (Although the black bezel is nice looking.)

edit: made a call, and the 16610 black is for sale here in town. Going to put a down payment down on it downtown in a bit.
 
Last edited: