advice to end all advice for undergrads: your critique please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wrote this about a month ago. We have switched our advising system at my university and as an outgoing student who starts medical school this fall, I wanted to leave the new pre-medical students there with some advice. Every freshman who is designated "pre-med" will be given this next year to read. I have edited it a little bit to make it more general (not just for people at my school). I am posting this here for reviews or advice you might have to offer if you have lots of free time and would like to read it. I tried to insert some humor here and there.

This is all the advice you will ever need as a pre-medical student. Each point is not necessarily numbered according to importance.

1. The Role of Advisers (or: Plan your own future, don't let others plan it for you)

"Pre-med advisers" are not necessarily the best source for information or opinions on whether or not you have a chance at being admitted. Some are okay; a few are really good but most are absolutely clueless. Don't let any of them tell you have no shot (especially if you are second semester freshman who didn't serve time in federal prison for robbing banks). I never had this happen to me but I know people who did (at other schools). I consulted with the pre-health professions adviser at my undergraduate institution one or two times. I mostly did my own research and planned my classes by bouncing ideas around with my regular (major) adviser. At some schools, the pre-medical adviser is your sole academic adviser. At school things were different (I was a psychology major so I had a psychology academic adviser with access to the pre-health professions adviser).

In any case, you should look at your schools course catalog and cross-reference it with the requirements listed in the MSAR (https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/msar/) and the AACOM College Book (http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Pages/default.aspx). Every school has different (but basically similar) required and recommended courses. I can't even begin to tell you how many kids would complain about taking the wrong chemistry course or taking a difficult math class that no school required (some would say that higher level math courses look really good on an application and maybe they are correct but that doesn't mean a marginal student should take physical chemistry for the sole reason that it might "stand out"). People who did this were usually the type who didn't make it as a pre-medical student and switched to something else because they did not have enough invested in their future to do their own research on something as important as class selection. Make sure you investigate your professors prior to enrolling in their class. There are a number of online resources where you can do this. Just don't go into a class without knowing what to expect unless absolutely necessary. Upper-classmen who took the course with a professor can also be good resources.

Just like you shouldn't blindly accept the class schedule your academic adviser creates for you each semester, you shouldn't accept any of the advice the pre-medical adviser gives you without checking yourself. You should examine the schools you are interested in going to and find the appropriate courses. Don't assume that just because someone has the title "adviser" that they know what they are talking about. There is a good reason why third party medical school admissions consulting companies (i.e. MedEdits) are thriving and it is not because the average university adviser is all that knowledgeable about medical school admissions. If you want to be a lazy sap and just go along with what the adviser says without doing your own research, good luck to ya Johnson.

2. Class and MCAT scheduling (or: Pain first)

The following is the optimal schedule for class and MCAT scheduling. Notice I said optimal (not the absolute requirement). Every student will have to plan according to their own unique circumstances. Situations that necessitate deviation from this schedule should be obvious.

Finish all pre-medical classes by the end of your junior year and take the MCAT BEFORE the summer between junior and senior year (mid-May). In fact, I would even suggest that you finish the core pre-requisite courses by the end of sophomore year if possible. If I could go back and do it all again, I would have taken my basic 200-level biology and inorganic chemistry classes freshman year, physics during the summer between freshman and sophomore year and organic chemistry during sophomore year.

Why do I say this? There are a couple of reasons: first you will have the requirements out of the way and won't have to worry about whether a class will be full when you need to register for it. Second, you will have a solid knowledgebase upon which to begin studying for the MCAT, and you can spend your senior year focused only on interviews and finishing strong in your classes and student organizations (if you are leader of whatever leadership group you have joined, make sure you transition the next group of leaders to the best of your abilities).

You should spend your junior year taking upper-level biology and major requirements (if you aren't a biology major) while studying for the MCAT. Again, make sure to take the MCAT BEFORE the summer between junior and senior year (before the middle of May). Why? Simple: you should have everything you need ready to go to submit your primary AMCAS [American Medical College Application Service application] and/or AACOMAS application (also called the "primary application") on June 1st of the year prior to matriculation. Don't be like me and find yourself in the situation where you have to worry about applications, letters of recommendation, MCAT studying etc. all during your junior year. Even worse would be piling all of that on-top of taking some of the harder pre-requisite courses (organic chemistry, physics, etc.).Your junior year should basically be your busiest year. Even if you follow my advice and finish your pre-reqs during freshman and sophomore year, you should still being doing research, fully engaged in extra-curricular work, MCAT studying and preparing the primary - but more on junior year later.

You should start filling out the primary application on May 1st. There is absolutely no excuse for you to not have this completed and sent for processing later than June 1st (around the time when both services submit it to schools). You may think it is okay to procrastinate on this because do not have your spring semester grades ready or your MCAT score. That is not a valid reason. You can submit both applications with your current transcript and denote the date in which you plan to take the MCAT. Your application can and will still be processed without a fresh set of grades or an MCAT score.

If you are a senior and submit both applications in May prior to receiving your spring semester grades, you will simply have another official transcript sent when they are ready. Get on the office of the registrar at your institution about sending these out. Also make sure you contact other schools you have attended (i.e. community college or another institution) about sending your transcript as well. Even if you retook classes in which you received a poor grade at another school, you must still send all of your transcripts from every college course you ever took. Even if you took a so-called "dual-credit" course in high school at a community college, these grades must also be sent. An official transcript must be mailed from the office of the registrar, you cannot print out a copy from your online student account and mail it yourself. It must bear the seal/signature of the registrar (standard procedure) and must be mailed from your university.

Register for the MCAT as early as possible because spots fill up very quickly and you do not want to have to travel long distances to take the exam on your preferred date. Worse yet would be having to take the exam earlier or later than you want. and/or take the exam earlier/later than you want. You can reschedule your MCAT date for a fee within a certain timeframe (which, if you know you won't be ready by the originally planned date you should also do as soon as possible). The MCAT is offered January through September. You cannot take the exam in October. Some schools won't even accept an MCAT score later than August. Register for the MCAT early and, if necessary, reschedule your originally planned date as early as possible. The MCAT is offered January through September only. Some schools do not accept an MCAT score later than August. This is not an editing error; I am trying to hammer home the point. Do I need to repeat it again? Register for the MCAT as early as possible.

Make sure you start asking for LORs as early as possible. Ask for them at least 3 months before June 1st. I would ask much earlier than this, especially if it's from a professor you took a course with during your freshman or sophomore year (so their memory of you and your work ethic is as current as possible). You want them to be able to write a good letter, not a bad letter or a mediocre letter. Mediocre letters may as well be bad letters. Admissions committees have a lot of letters to review and if you submit something bland, they will go right into the proverbial garbage can.

The people who write your LORs are very important. Common sense is very important in this step. Don't waste your time with a cranky chemistry professor with an axe to grind, even if you did well in his class. This might take a little intuition on your part but that is the nature of the game. The sad part of this step is that you can do everything right and still get a poor letter from someone. It is hard for people to understand why someone would sabotage your efforts to get into medical school because of their own insecurities or mental illness. While this is rare, you have to be cognizant of the possibility because it happens every year. For what it's worth, I hear this happening more with the professors or graduate students in charge of the lab in which you did research. I won't speculate as to why this is but I will say that you need to be careful (and by careful I don't mean paranoid, I mean cautious).

In my opinion, these are the types of LORs you need:

- Three letters from a science faculty member (biology, chemistry, physics – sometimes math will count but I would get three in science first and fourth from a math professor if you believe she will write you a good one).
- At least one letter from a non-science faculty member.
- A letter from your pre-medical adviser.
- A letter from a physician (M.D. or D.O.)
- A letter from your research supervisor
- A letter from your volunteer supervisor (i.e. the hospital volunteer coordinator most familiar with you)

I recognize there may be some debate on a few of the ones I have listed but the science faculty letters are pretty much staples at most medical schools. No you cannot send a letter from your uncle, even if he is a practicing physician and decedent of Benjamin Rush himself. No you cannot send a letter from your Congressman (unless you worked for them or they are relevant in some way to your pre-medical education). Family and political letters are expressly discouraged on the secondary application for most schools so you cannot send them (or you can but they will most likely be ignored and you will look like someone who doesn't read directions – a real good way to get an early rejection letter).

As a general rule, you should try and "spread out" the types of letters you send as much as possible. What I mean by this is that if a school asks for five letters, you should send five letters (the required science letters, one letter from an adviser, one letter from the research supervisor, one letter from the volunteer coordinator, etc.) If a school asks for a minimum of three specific letters with a maximum of six total letters, I would send six. This is just my personal opinion and advice on this might vary from person to person. I just believe that sending the minimum might make you look like you don't have six good letters and I don't get a good feeling when I picture an admissions committee member scanning my application and flipping over the last page once or twice in search of a fourth letter (because they are used to receiving six).

I must note here that some institutions have a pre-medical or pre-health professions "committee" that will submit a composite letter in lieu of a letter from your pre-medical adviser and science faculty. If this is the situation at your undergraduate institution, it is almost always the case that medical schools will require a letter from the committee. There are cases where medical schools will allow you to by-pass this requirement by submitting the individual letters I listed above but that is likely frowned upon (and may even require a written explanation as to why you did not receive a letter from your pre-medical/pre-health committee).

Each school has their own list of requirements so you would do very well indeed to investigate these on your own. Don't assume that every school accepts a letter from a math professor as part of the "science" faculty letter requirement. Don't assume that you can send five letters to each school (some require less, some require more, some prefer less, and some prefer more). The requirements vary from school to school. Do whatever you can to figure this out in advance because you will not find this information in the Letters of Recommendation section of AMCAS or the MSAR (though it has been historically listed in the AACOM College Book). Check the website, e-mail the admissions committee, call the admissions committee, and do a combination of the three just to make absolutely sure you are sending the right letters. Never assume anything.

When you initially ask for LORs, make sure you give your letter writers everything they might need:

a. make out an envelope to AMCAS and/or AACOMAS/Interfolio with a stamp
b. give letter writers a copy of your transcript and a short resume/CV
c. hand them a brief one-page letter clearly noting the deadline you need it by (I would say no later than the first week of May). Explain to them that the letter must be on official University or company letterhead and that they should print, sign and mail the letter along with any other necessary document (i.e. the routing sheets that AMCAS and Interfolio create to go along inside the envelope to match the letter with your application/profile), and thank them (in the same letter) for agreeing to write you one.

Note: Use Interfolio or some other document handling service for your letters. By doing so, you give yourself the ability to send each letter to schools individually from your online "profile." You can read more about how the document service works on their website. Get on this early in your junior year (at the very latest) so you can start building your portfolio of letters early. Save yourself the massive headaches by paying the fee and getting your letters in a place where you can easily send them without hassle. You do not want to be in the position of having to ask your letter writers to mail out ten different copies of their letter to ten different schools. That opens the door to a lot of unintended consequences and in this process that is almost never a good thing. Another benefit of having an Interfolio or document handling service profile is that you receive notification when your letter has been received. Do you really want to keep checking with your letter writers on whether or not they finished and sent your letter? Do you really want to worry about whether or not they sent it to the right address? Sounds like a very dumb idea to me but if you like headaches and unnecessary stress, good luck to you.

On that note, I have reached the part of this section where I will identify the take-away theme. Here it is: Timing is everything. In most cases, a very significant factor in whether or not you will receive an acceptance is based on timing. Just like the early bird gets the worm, the early applicant gets the interviews. Do not screw around and ass/u/me you will be okay applying in September because you have a 4.0. The forums at studentdoctor.net are filled with the laments of rejected applicants who didn't have their acts together when it came to submitting their application and all supplementary materials properly and on-time.

3. Extra-curricular activities (or: Stand-out)

Don't do extra-curricular activities that everyone else is doing (at least do not do those activities exclusively). Everyone will shadow, volunteer at a nursing home, and join the illustrious (but often useless in my opinion) "pre-med" or pre-professional club. Find some way to set yourself apart. I did a whole host of leadership activities. I was the chairman of student government and then the student member to the University Board of Trustees. Being able to say on my application that I sat as a voting member of a board that allocates hundreds of millions of dollars yearly set me up for some interesting interview questions that I know stayed in the minds of the people I interviewed with after I left (not to mention the connections I made as a result of the experience itself). I also did the shadowing, the volunteering, and the pre-professional club (in addition to other things). You don't have to do what I did, but try and be unique.
Aside from getting good grades and a good MCAT score, these are the sub-categories of extra-curricular activities I would engage in:

a. Volunteer (Non-paid) medically related work (i.e. hospital volunteer, student emergency medical services)
b. Volunteer (Non-paid) non-medically related work (i.e. habitat for humanity, alternative spring break, religious volunteer groups)
c. Paid work/employment (even if it's just a summer job)
d. Research (see below)
e. Shadowing (see below)

Make sure you do some sort of research. It could be done in the form of an independent study for which you receive a grade and college credit toward your degree or simply as a volunteer. It should not be done as part of a class unless your school has an honors thesis track where you enroll in a course specifically to learn how to conduct research and submit a thesis for honors distinction at graduation.

I did research in a psychopharmacology lab assisting in 4 different studies, some of which are being prepared for publication right now. Research along with the other extra-curricular endeavors will make you a very well-rounded applicant. I wouldn't go overboard on the research though. Do something that interests you and don't feel pressured to have your own project as you can simply help graduate students or a professor with their investigations. As long as you do a good job and get a good LOR from the Principal Investigator (PI), I believe that is sufficient. I see and hear stories of pre-medical students working tirelessly in the lab to produce something of their own which eventually forces them to sacrifice time in other important areas (i.e. extra-curricular activities and even their own school work). You can do what you want but I'd say it is far more important to be well-rounded than to be a standout in one area alone.

If you have any reason whatsoever to believe that you might apply to D.O. schools, you must shadow and obtain an LOR from a physician with a D.O. because most D.O. schools require such a letter when you submit your secondary application. You should do this even if you seriously doubt your intentions to apply to a D.O. school. As a sophomore, I didn't think I needed to bother shadowing a D.O. because I thought I was that card counting MIT nerd from the Kevin Spacey movie and would ride my way into Harvard with a perfect MCAT score. Good thing the pre-professional group was close with a D.O. pathologist at the local hospital who gave me my first shadowing opportunity (and physician LOR) and really helped me to see that the D.O. route was not only a valid option but a respectable one as well. I say this is a good thing because I didn't exactly get a 45 on the MCAT and my options were a little more limited than I originally thought they would be. In the end I was accepted to my allopathic (M.D.) program of choice but I did apply and interview at a few great D.O. schools where I could have just as easily ended up.

I recognize that finding a D.O. to shadow can be tricky for students living in certain areas of the country as there may not be many D.O.s there. I would start by using the resources of the American Osteopathic Association in locating a D.O. physician to contact about shadowing (http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/find-a-do/Pages/default.aspx).

4. Studying (or: Get good grades and a good MCAT score)

Get help in classes you struggle with. Make sure you study long and hard with a sufficient number of MCAT practice tests. Advice on all of this can be found in other areas but most of it is pretty obvious. Plan your life around keeping distractions to a minimum when necessary.

My junior year was hell. I did research, enrolled in four courses with labs each semester, served as Chairman of the student government, and studied for the MCAT all at the same time. Meanwhile, I was living in a house with four of my close friends and partying three nights a week. I was in a long-term relationship that I kept holding on to even while it was driving me insane. To make the long story short, I didn't do as well in my classes or on my first MCAT as I could have done. In the end, everything worked out and I was accepted to medical school but my poor planning cost me an entire year. Don't let this happen to you. Plan early and intelligently. Prioritize. Your grades and MCAT are more important than other parts of your application.

Are good grades more important than a good MCAT score? I don't know, and don't put yourself in the position of having to ask the question. Get good grades and a good MCAT score. There are definitely cases where unique life experiences (i.e. long-term medical experience) can overcome a subpar transcript but that isn't usually the case. I am not saying this to make you lose hope as I did not have stellar grades or a stellar MCAT score but I did get accepted. There are people who apply every year and gain acceptance with below average statistics but they are not the norm. I would compare these cases to players in the NFL who weren't drafted out of college but successfully tried out and earned a spot on the roster. Sure it happens and sure they often make solid players. But these are rare situations and one you should keep from finding yourself in if possible.

5. Stay out of trouble

This is another obvious tidbit that I don't think I need to expound upon. Stay away from drugs and the people that do them. Don't get caught drinking underage. All of these things you must disclose on an application. If you think you can hide legal trouble on your application you will be in for a very rude awakening.

If you are in doubt about whether or not a speeding ticket must be disclosed, you should print off the exact language listed on the application and bring it to your lawyer (some institutions have a free legal service for students). There are cases where people have had their acceptance rescinded because the background check revealed something they did not disclose. Ignorance is not an excuse. If it says you should list all misdemeanors you have received and you don't know for sure if jay-walking is a misdemeanor, you should check with a legal expert (not your stoner roommate who thinks he is Johnny Cochran because he talked himself out of an arrest for having a bong in his backseat).

Some legal trouble will not be a big deal. Some legal trouble will definitely keep you out of medical school. Common sense, common sense, common sense. Either you have it or you don't. Don't let one momentary lapse in judgment ruin your entire future. How many stories have I heard of otherwise dedicated students with stellar numbers falling short of the finish line because they did something stupid like getting caught in a dorm room their senior year with a bag of weed by one of the campus police officers? Imagine doing everything right and falling on your face for some stupid reason at the end of the tunnel. It will haunt you for a very long time.

6. Not everything is about getting into medical school

The other point I want to make is about perseverance. This path is probably the most difficult path you can take as an undergraduate student. It requires a great deal of sacrifice and dedication. While my friends were out at the bar for $1.00 bottle Wednesdays, I found myself alone in my dark and cold room reading and re-reading a tortuously boring chapter on thermodynamics from my tortuously confusing physics textbook. While my girlfriend was out partying with our friends on the 70 degree day of spring semester, I was in the lab chasing around a rat who hopped out of a Skinner Box.

Obviously I was able to have fun here and there but it was simply not possible for me to do it at every opportunity like many of the people you will meet in college. And everyone is different. Some pre-medical students hardly study and still get a 4.0 while others had to study every single day to barely get an A. Hard work and dedication are the name of this game and you will have to do what is necessary to succeed.

Don't be a gunner or a cheater. These people are the scourge of pre-medical classes (and even medical school and residency). Don't cut down your fellow pre-med because you believe he might destroy the physics exam and send the grading curve into the stratosphere. More often than not, it is the help you give that determines the help you will receive. If you are part of a study group, try and help your classmates out as much as reasonably possible because you never know when you will need them to help you down the road. Don't go changing your answers on a graded scantron because it'll push you into the A range. I've actually heard a story of a girl who did this in her final semester, was caught, and had her acceptance to an Ivy League medical school rescinded as a result. Academic dishonesty is a huge no-no and it will almost definitely haunt you in the application process.

If you are one of those students who really has to work extra hard to keep up in class, you must realize that many of your friends and even family members will not understand this. Try and explain it to them and maybe they will understand. Even if they don't, true friends will always support you even if they can't empathize. Ditch the girlfriend or boyfriend who is making your life difficult (after you have explained to them repeatedly the importance of your education and time management). On the same hand, don't push the important people in your life away. Friends and family will be with you long after you graduate and you will do well to surround yourself with people who are supportive of all the positive aspects of your life, including (but not limited to) your aspirations to become a physician.

Not everyone will make it. Go into your freshman year biology class and take a look at how many kids are calling themselves "pre-med." Many of them will be gone by the end of the semester and half will be gone by the end of freshman year. By the time you get to second semester organic chemistry, there will be only a handful of you left. And that doesn't include the number of people who will actually be successful on the MCAT and get accepted. This ship that you are on will lose a lot of cargo before it reaches the harbor. Don't this is discourage you. In fact, it should only make you even more driven to succeed. And in the end, you may be one of the people who leaves. It could be because the work is too difficult or the sacrifice is too great. It could also be that you are simply interested in something else. There is nothing wrong with that. This path isn't for everyone and that's okay. Unwilling and incapable are two totally separate things, and you should never assume that someone switched paths because they couldn't cut it.

It is important to have a life outside of the library. If you spend your entire college years focused solely on getting into medical school you will regret it. These years should be enjoyable, not a drawn out series of one masochistic exercise after the other. Get your work done first but have some fun. If you do everything you need to do when you need to do it you get to do what you want to do when you want to do it. Okay there are a million quotes you can reference. Just please don't be the person who's life revolves solely around school. When you are spending over 80 hours a week in a hospital as a third year medical student, it will be comforting to at least have some of the memories of the good times you had when you weren't an indentured servant.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
:thumbup:

This is like ... the best post in ... uh week.

Contributing... as opposed to ....

- complaining
- trolling
- spamming
- jackassing
- asking how to get into Harvard Medical School.

Members don't see this ad :)
3. Extra-curricular activities (or: Stand-out)

Don't do stupid extra-curricular activities that every other "pre-med" ***** is doing. ...these are the sub-categories of extra-curricular activities I would engage in:

a. Volunteer (Non-paid) medically related work (i.e. hospital volunteer)
b. Volunteer (Non-paid) non-medically related work (i.e. some volunteer organization on your campus; habitat for humanity)
c. Paid work/employment (even if its a summer job)
d. Research (see below)
e. Shadowing (aside from what you see if you volunteer in the hospital, get a good number of hours following around at least one physician enough to get a good letter from).

I like the way you call people *****s for doing ECs that everyone else does, and then you go on to tell us that you would volunteer at a hospital, do habitat for humanity, do research, and shadow. Why'd you call yourself a *****? That's not very nice. :laugh:

Do you think taking a full class load is ever a good idea?

I like the way you call people *****s for doing ECs that everyone else does, and then you go on to tell us that you would volunteer at a hospital, do habitat for humanity, do research, and shadow. Why'd you call yourself a *****? That's not very nice. :laugh:

Thank you, edited to say what I really meant: exclusively.

If you can handle it early on, I think it is nice to get it out of the way. Depends on the type of person you are. If you can delay gratification and do all your prereqs within 2 years and get a lot of the other major required classes out of the way, you can set yourself up for a very enjoyable senior year where all you do is take volleyball, easy/enjoyable major courses and never miss happy hour at the bar on Fridays. Most people in our society cannot do it like this and should spread it evenly out.

Good advice overall. I think the one thing I would mention would be the possibility of taking a gap year. It is relatively common (I think I read somewhere that only 40% matriculate directly following undergrad) and could likely help you score much higher on the MCAT by giving you the summer to study for it. You also get an extra year's worth of grades for your transcript and more time to build EC's.

I think a lot of students may feel pressured to get their primaries done in June after they finish their junior year, perhaps because they don't know any better. Knowing that they have more time than that if they wish to take it may give some peace of mind to those stressed about getting all the pre-med requirements in as quickly as possible.

Good advice overall. I think the one thing I would mention would be the possibility of taking a gap year. It is relatively common (I think I read somewhere that only 40% matriculate directly following undergrad) and could likely help you score much higher on the MCAT by giving you the summer to study for it. You also get an extra year's worth of grades for your transcript and more time to build EC's.

I think a lot of students may feel pressured to get their primaries done in June after they finish their junior year, perhaps because they don't know any better. Knowing that they have more time than that if they wish to take it may give some peace of mind to those stressed about getting all the pre-med requirements in as quickly as possible.

Thank you, I am going to include info on a gap year in the next version.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Nice post, where's the like button?
The junior year part especially, I remember that shiz. It was not a good time, especially spring semester.

Awesome post cbrons. I completely back the idea of getting your prereqs done in the first two years although many premed advisers will advise otherwise.

Members don't see this ad :)
My hat is off to you sir. That's one of the things I am grateful for on this forum, great people giving great advice to undergrads and not arguing on threads (I'm looking at you MCAT-Guy)

Epic toast.

Any thoughts on taking a year off between college and med school? That might be good to throw in since it's becoming more popular...

Sure! It shows that you can perform; however, you have to be able to still pull those straight As. In other words, it's good (and saves money at some schools) if you can do it well, but if you can't do it well, then you've got no business doing it!

Pick two of three:
- EC hours or job
- full credit load
- 2 pre-reqs + lab

Last edited:
I appreciate being able to read what individual prehealth students go through, and I admit I'll agree with just a good amount of the original advice. Quite frankly, it goes well with other exit testimonials from successful prehealth students I have invited to speak to my advisees going through the application process, but not entirely. That said, I also will be the first to mention that being on the other side of the advisor desk, it's nice to give advice to people who you presume are going to be as motivated and knowledgeable as you are about "the road to med school".

My rebuttals:
1) You better know your prehealth advisors and the advising structure because you may need their help. I cannot vouch for every single prehealth advisor out there who is an official institutional advisor like me, and I know of plenty of out-of-institution advisors who are also out there giving advice. For the most part, all the advice you see here and get from any books or personal visits with advisors is all the same. What is not the same is knowing whether you need a committee or advisor evaluation and how that may make a difference in your chances of being considered.

But yes, even the best prehealth advisors out there will expect you to take responsibility of your own education and course of study from day one. I even state that every one of my advisees is responsible for all 60-70 pages of my website (because I'm not printing a handbook for everyone who says they're premed), so if they come to me with a question about what classes to take, I can say, you didn't read the website where you can find the answer, did you? No one person is going to be an expert to your situation, just as you won't be the expert doctor who must cure all diseases in all situations with 100% accuracy. We're human beings, and if you wind up treating people who in some cases honestly want to help you with disdain, the boomerang of karma will come back to you.

2) It's a fact that it is now a decisive admissions advantage to take a year off after you get your bachelor's degree. When you go to on-campus open-houses, see what percentage of a student body (all 4 years) consists of students who took a year or more off before starting medical (all "medical") school. Thus rushing to get your MCAT's done before the summer of junior year (which I completely agree with; I did that!) may not necessarily be the right game plan for everyone. Know when you are really ready to apply, and don't feel that your life is over if you don't get into a program you want the first time.

I summarize a lot of my own thoughts as an advisor on these things over the past few years. I have my own convocation lectures on these topics on iTunesU which you should be able to find on iTunes. Just search "prehealth" and "convocation" and the last three years' convocation addresses I give to my advisees at the start of fall semester should be easily downloadable (since they're free). Also on iTunes are my last two accepted students panels, which feature advice from the last two groups of successful applicants who reflect on their experiences.

I appreciate being able to read what individual prehealth students go through, and I admit I'll agree with just a good amount of the original advice. Quite frankly, it goes well with other exit testimonials from successful prehealth students I have invited to speak to my advisees going through the application process, but not entirely. That said, I also will be the first to mention that being on the other side of the advisor desk, it's nice to give advice to people who you presume are going to be as motivated and knowledgeable as you are about "the road to med school".

My rebuttals:
1) You better know your prehealth advisors and the advising structure because you may need their help. I cannot vouch for every single prehealth advisor out there who is an official institutional advisor like me, and I know of plenty of out-of-institution advisors who are also out there giving advice. For the most part, all the advice you see here and get from any books or personal visits with advisors is all the same. What is not the same is knowing whether you need a committee or advisor evaluation and how that may make a difference in your chances of being considered.

But yes, even the best prehealth advisors out there will expect you to take responsibility of your own education and course of study from day one. I even state that every one of my advisees is responsible for all 60-70 pages of my website (because I'm not printing a handbook for everyone who says they're premed), so if they come to me with a question about what classes to take, I can say, you didn't read the website where you can find the answer, did you? No one person is going to be an expert to your situation, just as you won't be the expert doctor who must cure all diseases in all situations with 100% accuracy. We're human beings, and if you wind up treating people who in some cases honestly want to help you with disdain, the boomerang of karma will come back to you.

2) It's a fact that it is now a decisive admissions advantage to take a year off after you get your bachelor's degree. When you go to on-campus open-houses, see what percentage of a student body (all 4 years) consists of students who took a year or more off before starting medical (all "medical") school. Thus rushing to get your MCAT's done before the summer of junior year (which I completely agree with; I did that!) may not necessarily be the right game plan for everyone. Know when you are really ready to apply, and don't feel that your life is over if you don't get into a program you want the first time.

I summarize a lot of my own thoughts as an advisor on these things over the past few years. I have my own convocation lectures on these topics on iTunesU which you should be able to find on iTunes. Just search "prehealth" and "convocation" and the last three years' convocation addresses I give to my advisees at the start of fall semester should be easily downloadable (since they're free). Also on iTunes are my last two accepted students panels, which feature advice from the last two groups of successful applicants who reflect on their experiences.

Thank you... yes some people will obviously have very good advising (esp. if you are at one of the big name schools). Others not so much. In any case, the advice still stands that you should do your own research on the side in addition to considering a competent adviser's advice. Having a good adviser is golden. Also, in the process of making the advice a little more comedic, I may have went overboard in describing most advisers as clueless so I apologize :)

2) It's a fact that it is now a decisive admissions advantage to take a year off after you get your bachelor's degree. When you go to on-campus open-houses, see what percentage of a student body (all 4 years) consists of students who took a year or more off before starting medical (all "medical") school.

Not that I don't believe you, but I'd be interested to see any data supporting this and clarification of what exactly you mean by "decisive." Besides anecdotal surveys.

meh i'm not too thrilled about some of this "advice"

This is all the advice you will ever need as a pre-medical student.

1. The Role of Advisers (or: Plan your own future, don’t let others plan it for you)

this is ridiculous. you're basically saying "if you take you're adviser's advice at face value without doing your own research then you're an idiot...on the other hand you should totally take my advice at face value and don't bother seeking out any other advice...ever"

also why did you need two FULL paragraphs to say something as simple as "don't blindly follow your adviser"

Finish all pre-medical classes by the end of your junior year and take the MCAT BEFORE the summer between junior and senior year.

You should spend your junior year taking upper-level biology and major requirements (if you aren’t a biology major) while studying for the MCAT. Make sure to take the MCAT BEFORE the summer between junior and senior year. Why? Simple: you should have everything you need ready to go to submit your application on June 1st.

this is terrible advice. i took the MCAT during junior year (even though i ended up taking two years off after college) because i thought i would go straight through and the MCAT was only given in april and august back in the day. it was not such a great idea and it was extraordinarily stressful with a full class load. just keep in mind that the MCAT is a huge commitment and is (in my opinion) the single most important piece of your application. I think getting your application in mid-to-late july with a solid June MCAT score that represents your best work is WAY more important than rushing in an application with an MCAT score that you don't feel was your best work. Alternatively another good time to take the mcat would be after winter break (when you've spent that month studying for it exclusively) though you may be putting yourself at a slight disadvantage if you haven't finished your requirements yet.

e. Shadowing (aside from what you see if you volunteer in the hospital, get a good number of hours following around at least one physician enough to get a good letter from).

once again very bad advice. a letter of rec from a doctor you shadowed is completely useless. even LizzyM has said this. it adds nothing to your application because you don't do anything useful when shadowing and the doctor won't have anything to add to your application that wasn't already obvious.

Also, make sure you do research.

research is not required. if you have no interest in research don't bother.

I see too many premies working tirelessly in the lab to produce something on their own which eventually forces them to sacrifice time in other important areas (i.e. extra-curriculars and even their own school work). You can do what you want, but I'd say it is far more important to be well-rounded than to be a standout in one area alone.

if research is something that interests you and you're good at it or your project has potential then go for it! doing meaningful research will definitely help you "stand out" among all those other premeds who just did research as a way to check it off their "well rounded" list.

also, if you want to do md/phd this is basically a requirement.

Another obvious tidbit that I won’t expound upon. Stay away from drugs and the people that do them. Don’t get caught drinking underage. All of these things you must disclose on an application. Some will not be a big deal, others will definitely keep you out of medical school. How many stories have I heard of otherwise dedicated students with stellar numbers falling short of the finish line because they did something stupid like getting caught in a dorm room their senior year smoking a bong by one of the campus police officers? Imagine doing everything right and falling on your face for some stupid reason at the end of the tunnel. It will haunt you for a very long time.

unless you get suspended or expelled one mistake won't be an auto-rejection but you should definitely try your best to stay out of trouble ...the process is stressful enough, no need to add to it

This pre-med path is probably the most difficult path you can take as an undergrad. It requires a great deal of sacrifice and dedication. While my friends were out at the bar for $1.00 bottle Wednesdays, I found myself alone in my dark and cold room reading and re-reading a chapter on thermodynamics. While my girlfriend was out partying with our friends on a Saturday, I was in the lab doing research. Obviously I was able to engage in the party lifestyle here and there but it was simply not possible for me to do it at every opportunity like many of the people you will meet in college.

What is even harder about this is that many of your friends and even family members will not understand this. Try and explain it to them and maybe they will understand. Even if they don’t, true friends will always support you even if they can’t empathize.

pre-med isn't the hardest thing in college...in fact it's just a bunch of intro classes. don't be that guy who walks around with a chip on his shoulder because he's a premed. look to the engineers and know that they are working harder but they don't bitch about it as much as premeds. make sure u have fun in college while keeping an eye on the prize. and remember you don't have to rush things....if having fun in college means taking a year or two of to take the MCAT and do some ECs then so be it.

This path isn’t for everyone and that’s okay.

this is good advice...college is a time to explore many different options...if you find something out there that you're good at and can be successful in then explore it with an open mind

On a separate note, it is important to have a life outside of the library. If you spend your entire college years focused solely on getting into medical school you will regret it. Have a social life. Go out with friends. Date girls who drive you crazy (just not during junior year). These years should be fun. Get your work done first but have some fun. As my dad always told me, “Work hard and play harder.” If you do everything you need to do when you need to do it you get to do what you want to do when you want to do it. Okay there are a million quotes you can reference. Just please don’t be the person who’s life revolves around school. When you are spending over 80 hours a week doing bitch work in a hospital as a 3rd year medical student, it may be comforting to at least have some of the memories of the good times you had when you weren’t an indentured servant.

this part is simply good advice.

one thing i think needs to be stressed that OP didn't say is that taking a year or two off between college and med school is a very good option. this isn't a sprint, take your time, enjoy your youth, make some money, do some useful research, pursue your other interests, or just live like a regular person for a while. i've been hard pressed to find a med student who regrets taking time off but it's not uncommon to see those who went straight through regret not taking time off.

Don't rush the MCAT. Take as much time as you want between jr and sr year to study for it. Do well on it, apply June after your senior year, and do something enjoyable on your gap year. Less stress = winning.

I would add:

Even if you have AP Chem I and II credit, don't be tricked into taking O-Chem I and II as a freshman. I've seen too many grad applications from applicants who dug themselves into a hole as freshmen due to 0-chem and who never really recovered.

I would add:

Even if you have AP Chem I and II credit, don't be tricked into taking O-Chem I and II as a freshman. I've seen too many grad applications from applicants who dug themselves into a hole as freshmen due to 0-chem and who never really recovered.

What do you mean? GPA-wise? Or they ended up jumping off the bridge, or what? :laugh:

I would add:

I would say that is one of the few good premed decisions I made in college. I couldve taken orgo freshmen year, but decided not to; I ended up making straight As in all premed chemistry classes and that had saved my premed track from low physic/bio grades

What do you mean? GPA-wise? Or they ended up jumping off the bridge, or what? :laugh:

Actually this is of particular concern for my undergrad school, and the stories students jumping off buildings are well known. One particular professor jumped off a building too.

Most people have the problem of trying to get themselves motivated. But, a small minority have the opposite problem.

I would add:

Sadly our school pressures us very strongly to do this. In fact, I had to fight my advisor not to sign up for O-chem first semester
Freshman year because he was confident since I had AP credit that I would be fine.

I have to second what someone said earlier about the need for proof here.

Also, an advisor that says "MCAT's" :confused:

Great advice! I'd second the idea of taking time off, though. It's becoming more and more popular and allows for more time to take prereqs/less stress. Great otherwise!

I have to second what someone said earlier about the need for proof here.

Also, an advisor that says "MCAT's" :confused:

it's believable that taking a year off could help your application. It's not believable that traditional applicants are at a heavy disadvantage to kids one year older.

The other point I want to make is about perseverance. This path is probably the most difficult path you can take as an undergraduate student. It requires a great deal of sacrifice and dedication. While my friends were out at the bar for $1.00 bottle Wednesdays, I found myself alone in my dark and cold room reading and re-reading a tortuously boring chapter on thermodynamics from my tortuously confusing physics textbook. While my girlfriend was out partying with our friends on the 70 degree day of spring semester, I was in the lab chasing around a rat who hopped out of a Skinner Box.
Yeah, I want to quote this only because it ties well with the last portion I quoted -

If you are one of those students who really has to work extra hard to keep up in class, you must realize that many of your friends and even family members will not understand this. Try and explain it to them and maybe they will understand. Even if they don’t, true friends will always support you even if they can’t empathize. Ditch the girlfriend or boyfriend who is making your life difficult (after you have explained to them repeatedly the importance of your education and time management). On the same hand, don’t push the important people in your life away. Friends and family will be with you long after you graduate and you will do well to surround yourself with people who are supportive of all the positive aspects of your life, including (but not limited to) your aspirations to become a physician.

Quoting this because this was the ultimate issue for myself. I know I can't study 20 minutes for a test and get an A. I know I can get As if I work hard, but I just have to work harder than most. Does it bother me? No, because the reward outweights the perserverance/sacrifice I make. I mean, they might not understand why you're working so hard, but the ones that really matter will be by your side through it all. You'll quickly see/understand the friends that really matter from the ones that don't.

It is important to have a life outside of the library. If you spend your entire college years focused solely on getting into medical school you will regret it. Have a social life. Go out with friends. Date girls who drive you crazy (just not during junior year). These years should be enjoyable, not a drawn out series of one masochistic exercise after the other. Get your work done first but have some fun. As my dad always told me, “Work hard and play harder.” If you do everything you need to do when you need to do it you get to do what you want to do when you want to do it. Okay there are a million quotes you can reference. Just please don’t be the person who’s life revolves solely around school. When you are spending over 80 hours a week in a hospital as a third year medical student, it will be comforting to at least have some of the memories of the good times you had when you weren’t an indentured servant.

That's what it kind of boiled down to, ultimately. You can spend those hours studying but you need to find some time to relax/vent/whatever or you're going to crash and burn so fast. Bolded because I did that during my SMP and that was a TERRIBLE mistake :mad:

Overally, good advice. Sure, some is rehashed, but you add some good tidbits that a lot of people forget/are scared to add. :thumbup:

Great advice all-around :thumbup: Another SDN page for me to bookmark as reference material for when I get further along in the process.

this is ridiculous. you're basically saying "if you take you're adviser's advice at face value without doing your own research then you're an idiot...on the other hand you should totally take my advice at face value and don't bother seeking out any other advice...ever"

Despite the topic being titled "advice to end all advice," hopefully nobody took that literaly. Hopefully after reading this article people will realize:

1) No matter how many advisors, physicians, admins, colleagues etc. you meet with to help plan, YOU are responsible for YOUR future.

2) As with any research matter, getting all your information from one source is just foolish. Get a variety of opinions, so that in the end you can come up with your own conclusions.

High School
  • Come back in a couple of years.
During School
  • Take college grades seriously, you'll be thankful when application time comes.
  • If you're asking to do something because it might look good on your application, chances are you aren't interested enough to commit to it right now.
  • Go to office hours, even if you are getting an A in the class because rec letters need to come from somewhere.
  • Overstudy your freshmen year in college. Better to get an A+ in all your freshmen classes then wonder if that was time well spent than screw up your freshmen grades and wonder whether you have a chance.
  • Work hard to get a stellar GPA so you can count on the MCAT as additional evidence of your academic capability, rather than a stressful redeeming factor.
  • Don't hesistate to take on a leadership role in your activities. The work you put into it will benefit you twofold, you will learn a lot about time management and build interpersonal skills.
  • Don't think that a great MCAT will compensate for a low GPA.
  • Clinical extracurricular activities show admission comittees you have been exposed to the realities of medicine and you can handle them.
  • Pursue ECs you are passionate about, don't try to do a little of everything.
  • Compete ONLY against yourself.
  • Time is better spent pursuing a mastery of the course material rather than calculating the minimum grade you can get by with for a 90 or planning how to spread a rumour that the date for the final has been postponed (when in fact it hasn't.)
  • Moderation is key. Take the time to enjoy college but keep in mind that your grades and ECs will be important in the future.
  • Remember that medical schools do not want a textbook memorizing machine. What you do outside of class is just as important and what you do inside as far as growing into a well rounded, articulate prospective physician - you can't develop socially if you don't put yourself in social situations and some of the best things do talk about in interviews are interesting things you do for fun!
MCAT
  • Don't take the MCAT until your full-length practice scores are exceeding your target score (generally accepted to be 30+ total, with nothing less than a 9 in any section).
  • It's MCAT (Medical College Admission Test), not MCATs (Medical College Admission Tests) as there is only one test not multiple ones.
  • Stop reading SDN when you're studying for the MCAT. It'll stress you out when you're inevitably reading those score report threads, and it seems like everyone's getting 36+.
  • If you find yourself asking, "Should I use this book or that book?" it's a good sign that you should probably use both.
Applications
  • If you're asking questions about having to "study" after completion of med school, then you shouldn't be applying to doctorville.
  • Take things one-step at a time, rewarding yourself along the way as this process is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • APPLY EARLY!
  • MDApplicants.com should be used to see on average what kind of people get into certain schools, but it's skewed extremely upwards and don't use a single profile as a ray of hope.
  • When a school offers you an interview, learn as much as you can about the school, its focus, and its history. They have shown interest in you and you must do the same.
  • Look at the mission statements of each school to see if you fit what they are looking for and to answer their secondaries
  • Send Transcripts in MAY even if you don't want to start working on the AMCAS application
  • A good personal statement takes time to write (1+ months) if it's been thoroughly edited and you've had time to reflect on what you really want to say.
Other
  • Show a little cleavage.
  • Show a lot of cleavage.
  • Use the search feature before asking routine questions
  • Take deep breaths.
  • Believe in yourself.
  • Don't ask other peoples' opinions of your chances unless you're prepared for an honest answer.
  • Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
  • Slow down! Taking an extra year to do things well is much better than rushing through and having to deal with the consequences later.
  • Learn some humility. If you haven't been beaten down to the ground yet, you'll get used to it during this whole process.
  • When deciding what kind of prep material to use, sometimes its a good idea to go to amazon.com and read the reviews before you buy your material.
  • The farther you go, the more you are in the public's eye. Treat everything you do seriously, respect everyone, and be aware that people will be critiquing you more and more. But don't get paranoid.

Despite the topic being titled "advice to end all advice," hopefully nobody took that literaly. Hopefully after reading this article people will realize:

1) No matter how many advisors, physicians, admins, colleagues etc. you meet with to help plan, YOU are responsible for YOUR future.

2) As with any research matter, getting all your information from one source is just foolish. Get a variety of opinions, so that in the end you can come up with your own conclusions.

Correct & thank you for your kind words.

Best advice I received was just to be unique.

Sadly our school pressures us very strongly to do this. In fact, I had to fight my advisor not to sign up for O-chem first semester
Freshman year because he was confident since I had AP credit that I would be fine.

And again, an example of why your advisor may not have your best interest in mind and why each student needs to think for himself and act as his own advocate.

had this topic existed back my freshmen year it wouldve saved me whole lot of trouble/stress i am experiencing rightnow. Dont fall under the two extremes; premed with no advising or too much advising, LizzyM is right moderation is key

I would add:

Yes, gpa-wise and as a confidence killer. The ones that jump off bridges don't apply to grad school.... and it is almost too sad to think about what happens to them.

And again, an example of why your advisor may not have your best interest in mind and why each student needs to think for himself and act as his own advocate.

Thank you for your review and support in offering suggestions. I hope people do find the original post helpful as it took me quite a while to write it (lol) over the past few months. I just gave the first copy to a student who preparing to apply next month and he is very behind in what he needs to do to be ready.

This advice is helpful for students at any stage of the process (up to completing secondary applications) but it is really key for freshman pre-medical students.

My only question/comment that hasn't been addressed by others would be about the letters, of which you recommend 8 - which to me seems excessive. I only applied in TX, but all the schools here recommended a committee letter or 2-3 individual letters. Are there places that actually recommend/require 8 letters? Perhaps its just me, but if I read an application that had 8 letters of rec attached I'd think the candidate was pandering and just grabbing as many as they could.

I beg to differ: Not all premed advisors are clueless. :)

My only question/comment that hasn't been addressed by others would be about the letters, of which you recommend 8 - which to me seems excessive. I only applied in TX, but all the schools here recommended a committee letter or 2-3 individual letters. Are there places that actually recommend/require 8 letters? Perhaps its just me, but if I read an application that had 8 letters of rec attached I'd think the candidate was pandering and just grabbing as many as they could.

i really think 8 is way overboard. vanderbilt premed recommend 3-4 letters with 5 being excessive and detrimental to an applicant's overall image.