Now that we've passed-- Oral Boards Study Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michigangirl

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are multiple threads out there offering up tips on how to approach the oral boards, including which classes to take. Wanted to start a fresh thread with exactly what people's study approaches were and what they recommend. Take each with a grain of salt, since you need to individualize greatly based on your personality and practice atmosphere. Here are my tips that don't include spending thousands of dollars on a course, but again-- this worked for ME, and I am at a large academic institution where we do every type of case and have access to multiple oral board examiners- and if I had failed I would be right there taking the course the next time.

1. Decide if you have reasonable speaking skills and can organize your thoughts clearly under pressure- if not-- take a course to figure out how to do so, because if you can't, chances of success are not high.

2. Figure out what types of cases you aren't exposed to routinely and find a way to review those over and over (i.e. transplant, TURP, peds, cardiac). No need reviewing over and over again cases you do everyday because all you need to do is imagine yourself in the OR and explain exactly how you would approach it to the oral board examiners.

3. I read through all the ASA refresher courses from the CD you can get online (and for free if you attended ASA). Covers many basics very well.

4. Buy Board Stiff 3. Know the info section cold. Do ALL the cases with a partner (preferably) or talk to yourself

5. Find old ABA exams and do at least one case a week with a partner by phone or in person- give each other the stem- hang up-- 10 minutes to write everything down you want-- then give each other your respective exams and critique. make sure you and your partner actually read up a little on the case you're about to give your partner so you can give a reasonable critique.

6. Come up with a system for organizing your thoughts for stems and stick to them for all questions. For example-- for a pre-op and intra-op question my organization sheet had PREOP, INTRAOP, DRUGS, MONITORS, INDUCTION, and a stick figure so i didn't forget any systems

7. Do at least two exams with actual board examiners if you have access to them-- no need to do a bunch-- just need to get the real experience twice. If they can simulate the experience for you exactly, all the better.

8. At the exam-- READ THE STEM- it's got everything you need. This is a hindsight thing. If you don't know what the hell the examiners are getting at, do your best, stay calm, and explain things the best you can. If they keep pushing you on something, tell them how you would do it "in my practice"- as long as your practice isn't something asinine. There were multiple things I "screwed up"-- but I guess I was rational enough in my explanations that it was good enough.

9. "kill-shots"- you'll hear a lot about these-- that they will fail you. I forgot to say i would give fluids to a guy in anaphylactic shock, went right to epi. they pushed me a few times and i guess i had a brain fart and forgot i hadn't said fluids. "anything else?" they said over and over...i never said fluids. i guess they gave me the benefit of the doubt.

10. There will be some weird stuff on there that no amount of studying will help you with. be ready to say i don't know- don't bullsh#t.

11. Review the stuff that you reviewed for writtens. For example i outlined faust for writtens and reviewed that for the pharmacology/physio stuff. I did get asked doses and mechanisms. everything is fair game. one of my friends had to draw diagrams on napkins.

12. Know the differentials cold for hypoxia, hypercarbia, tachycardia, bradycardia, hypertension, hypotension, post-op issues, neuropathies, vision loss, the list goes on-- i got some permutation of all of these and more-- there is a previous thread that expounds on many of these "lists" and board stiff covers many of these. by doing the above I felt I was well prepared for the common stuff

13. When in doubt, just tell them what you would do in a calm and organized fashion.

13b. Everyone says the examiners aren't out to trick you. But if you are on course they WILL try to get you to mess up. mark my words. For example, they tried to get me to intubate an elective c-section before incision just because she had a Class III airway. i kept saying i would take my time to get a working regional technique. Even then she ended up going apneic during the case and i had to demonstrate the difficult airway algorithm. so stick to your guns if they seem to be steering you wrong. the scenario will still go down the same path, but at least you didn't cause it ;-)

14. Up for debate-- going on vacation after the exam. I was convinced I failed the exam and had a vacation planned immediately after. It could have been the best vacation of my life, but I spent the whole time commiserating over the exam, reliving it in my head and pretty down because I felt I wasted an opportunity. I feel like it would have been better to be immersed in work where I wouldn't have time to think about it. Depends on your personality. So I ruined a vacation for no reason.

Bottom line..I passed. I started the studying process 4 months prior. I guess it worked. Maybe I was lucky. Good luck!!!

Everyone else who passed-- post your study plans!

Members don't see this ad.

Holy-moly girl.... that was a very friendly post. I've posted this before on another thread, and it comes strait from a senior examiner:

1. Speak to them like they are a colleague.
  2. Do what you would do in everyday life.
  3. Don't try to guess what the examiner is thinking.
  4. Answer the question and move on (don't be thinking about how you answered your first question when you are listening to the third).
  5. There is a rhythm to the test. Once you find it, it goes much smoother.
  6. Organize your thoughts. Always start with the forest and then home in to the tree: A patient has hepatitis C and has cirrhosis what are your concerns? Start your answer like this: Cirrhosis is a multi systemic disease. It affects the CNS, respiratory, cardiovascular, renal, hematological systems... etc.. etc... Don't jump into why they have low oncotic pressures.
  7. They will ask you for detail if they want it. Don't be overly verbose.
  8. It is OK to ask the examiner to repeat the question in a different way.
  9. They are not there to trick you. You will have scenarios where you need to take the lesser of 2 evils and then don't forget to defend your answer.
  10. Be CONFIDANT. Don't be overconfident. The examiners are smarter than you and if you feel like you have something to teach them, you will loose.

I would also like to add:

LISTEN TO THE QUESTION

Take a second, breathe, interpret and answer. I made a big mistake on my orals cuz I didn't LISTEN TO THE QUESTION: The difference in one letter sent me down one pathway of ACLS algorithm vs. another. Could've cost me the exam. Thank goodness I had it together with the other questions.

Very nice and detailed - great job, Michigangirl.

well, I did not start to study for my September exam until late July. I was reading Board Stiff 3 and 2 time to time during last year and I was checking on on some stuff in my Big Miller when I needed to, but no especial studies and no particular practicing. I tried with some of my friends and partners and it does not work, unless they are actual examiners - everybody is way too light on you and that it is not helpful. But I was talking to myself, explaining this or that scenario, while reading Board Stiff ( if summarized by time it would come to 2 weeks of studying, probably).
I registered for 4 day crush for April 2010 last year and received the big book long time ago. I changed my course timing to that of September( after my actual exam date was scheduled) and that was the most helpful in the whole preparation.
Some time during late July I started to read that Ho book - 10-15 pages per day, sometimes more, sometimes less. That book is good in structure and actual way it formulates the questions and answers. I was answering the questions sometimes and just reading them another. There are tons of info which might seem a bit over detailed, but that info will settle in your brain where it has to and will be there by the time needed. I did not mix the study material by that time - you are not a novice to the material and you do not need to have a lot of books around to refresh what you actually know anyway.
The very last 2 days before I left for the course I was reading the coagulation/transfusion section - this part evaporates from your brain fast ( at least from mine)))) and this is extremely important part fir the exam.

The actual course was tiresome - 13-14 hours per day of intense work is tiring( I never even checked on that beautiful town since I was sooo exhausted and it was late every night after the course). But the very first mock oral was a big relief - I realized that I know what they are looking for and the main task is to present what I know.
I have had 4 mock orals and they all went well. And the most important strength I have gained from the course was my own confidence that I can do it ( our mock orals in residency where absolutely useless since nobody actually explained the way the exam is structured at first, and I do not suppose there is much need for the mock oral while you are a CA-1 or even CA-2; the time should be spent for CA-3 and more towards the end of residency anyway).
There is one more important moment specifically for my situation - I am not a native English speaker and while under stress tend to forget the needed words in all 4 languages I know ( I mean I can recall the needed word in one language while speaking another and so on). So I needed to be confined to English only for the whole time right before the exam - the crash course for 4 days was a perfect solution.

The exam was fair. All examiners were neutral or even helpful and my cases were not especially difficult, neither were the additional questions.
Did I forget what I knew and remembered only in the plane? sure I did - I jumped up on recollection that I have not chosen to have a Doppler for PE monitoring :) or several other mishaps. I had to say "I do not know" 2 times.
I did not recognize an agitation to be a post transfusion reaction and I suspect my eyes were rectangular when I was asked "could it be something you've done in the OR"? since they have moved to the other question pretty quickly after my petit mal look :laugh:
Did I think that I've failed? Not immediately - the first minutes after leaving the hotel ( in an extreme hurry to catch a flight in 40 minutes) I thought it was OK. Then everything started to pop up in my mind ( after I finally settled down in the plane - I almost missed it). The worst was to read the thread here on the forum about that scenario I described above - since that very moment I was convinced that I failed.
But I did not.
Can I recommend any unusual strategy for the prep? If you feel you need it - take the prep course, but take it right before the exam - I do not think it will help 6 mo in advance.
Everything else is nicely outlined before my post.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How about the ASA 2010 refresher courses? Are they worth going through?

I totally think they are. Very helpful reviews of basic topics-- I didn't memorize them but read through each a couple times. Found the one on difficult airway/intubation useful to have one plan to stick with for the orals. the cardiac ones (anesthesia for non-cardiac surgery for cardiac patients especially), obesity/OSA, major peds topics.

Regarding Board Stiff 2, I don't know what the big difference is between that and 3. He updated the beta blockade and AHA recommendations, but still left a lot open for looking up the latest. I'm sure board stiff 2 is fine. My 3 came with a DVD but I never opened the DVD.

Should I buy Board Stiff 3 if I already have 2? Does 3 have completely different cases?

I got a hand-me-down copy of BS2 as a resident, and bought BS3 for myself after passing the written. I don't recall thinking there were huge differences in the content, except maybe for some of the AHA/ACC guidelines, perioperative beta blockers, stents, a few things like that which have somewhat different answers now.

BS3 has a DVD that BS2 doesn't, but it's useless.

Naturally, BS2 here at the hospital with me, and BS3 is at home. Unless someone else has the answer I'll compare them directly tomorrow and post back in the thread.

Regarding Board Stiff... He updated the beta blockade and AHA recommendations

Did he really? All I got out of that section was a bunch of corny jokes and basically, "Go read the latest recommendations." That was pretty disappointing since it was one of the major areas I was hoping an anesthesia board review book would summarize. Just the same I guess I could "go read the latest recommendations" on all the subject areas and not bother with his book at all.

Turns out I got grilled and hammered on those exact topics and my halfass answers that I never did get nailed down in my head were pure delight for a very aggressive examiner I had.

BS3 has a DVD that BS2 doesn't, but it's useless.

I came across a some things a few weeks before the test which a) absolutely ruined those next few weeks of my life, and b) saved me from retaking the exam next year. One of those was that useless DVD, and the second was something known as PGG's Bees Knees. It's not that there was anything I learned about anesthesia in those 2 items (I didn't). What I learned was, "I'm totally unprepared for this exam."

PGG presented many situations in organized fashion with what you are thinking and what you are doing. This put me on a similar note writing spree that lead very long days after realizing I had all the knowledge to pass, but nothing in organized intelligent sounding fashion. Those last few weeks were absolutely miserable, but it saved me.

Last edited:
Did he really? All I got out of that section was a bunch of corny jokes and basically, "Go read the latest recommendations." That was pretty disappointing since it was one of the major areas I was hoping an anesthesia board review book would summarize. Just the same I guess I could "go read the latest recommendations" on all the subject areas and not bother with his book at all.

Turns out I got grilled and hammered on those exact topics and my halfass answers that I never did get nailed down in my head were pure delight for a very aggressive examiner I had.

I agree I was disappointed with the lack of specifics with regards to the AHA and beta blocker stuff in board stiff 3-- but to his credit he admitted that the timing of the book coincided directly with when they were amending the criteria and he didn't want to publish misinformaton. A quick pubmed search for the most recent AHA consensus paper on non-cardiac surgery and reviewing the ASA refresher course filled that gap. Knowing the major and moderate risk factors cold and the algorithm (which is pretty simple actually if you know whether the surgery is emergent or elective and the major/moderate risk factors) is very important which I didn't include in my post. but if you read board stiff 3 he tells you to know them. Board Stiff is not a bible-- but covers most of the major points so you don't miss any big topics and know what you need to read up on through other sources.

Don't gloat if you pass. Be thankful and humble. The difference between you and the dark side is razor thin. Ignore anyone that says, "I knew all along that you would pass." Bob Stoelting himself could fail this exam on an off day with the wrong stems and the wrong examiners.

Last edited:
Anyone out there had any luck contacting Board Stiff?

Their website is down. They have an answering machine but haven't returned messages. There was an email listed on the ASA calender of conferences website but I haven't received a reply. Are these guys still operating?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Board Stiff Three is a great book. I don't know anything about the course. Practice wins the day when it comes to the oral ABA exam.

Cambie

Board Stiff Three is a great book. I don't know anything about the course. Practice wins the day when it comes to the oral ABA exam.

Cambie

A lot of board stiff three is questions without answers. I'm sure it's very valuable to come up with answers on your own, much better than studying provided answers really, but might be too time consuming. Does anyone know of any prepared answers available for download or purchase?

Frankly, I'm not sure that would help. It seems to be a very fluid exam, one that can ebb and flow based on your responses and the mood of the examiners.

The value in BSIII is that you can use that book to formulate your own answers. You want to have canned answers to whatever common clinical situation can occur. I read BSIII and came up with my own answers .

Bertelman is right the exam is very fluid. You have to be able to roll with the punches. The questions that you are asked will be so simple that you will be surprised.Stay calm and give reasonable answers.

There are few absolutes in life. Are solutions to problems just have to be reasonable.

Cambie

Does anyone know of any prepared answers available for download or purchase?

the ho book from the course has this. it contains detailed information in each section- cardiac, peds, etc- and also contains question and answers that take you through common questions. invaluable.

<Deleted by mod>

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Board Stiff III: Read about 1/3 of it and didn't think it was that helpful.
2) Yao and Artusio: Read about 40% of it focusing on big ticket items like HTN, OSA, hypoxemia, endocrine, peds, OB and pain.
3) Did 10 individual and 5 group mock orals.

Done!

<Deleted by mod>

^^^^Annoying sales pitch disguised as an unsolicited testimonial.
I would now like to tell you about the "Sham-Wow."

<Deleted by mod>

I am passionate about education. I give my free time to help my colleagues. I would like to share my true experience. There is no sales pitch here.
With all respect to you my friend, shall I just make my winning experience a trade secret and let other people suffer on their own discovering the correct path?
I would very much like to hear your experience. Please teach the rest of the new guys who aspire to become certified.
Please provide them your winning strategy. I will never ever suggest to you that you promote somebody's book or a course. If you have used a particular book or attended a specific course please elaborate on it more. Everybody will benefit from pluralism of ideas.

No need to spread a negative&pessimistic attitude in this forum. Let's help others together. No need to stress them out.

With respect,

Elanwa

If I am incorrect, then I apologize. However, this time of year is when we see a multitude of "new" posters who sign up to tell us how great Dr Ho is and then they never stick around to post about anything else. Makes me a bit wary since you fit the profile so well. Actually, you fit the profile perfectly. I guess I have no way to prove it, it just seems suspicious.

I have nothing against Ho and think he is a very nice and intelligent guy who has helped a lot of people pass the boards (including me years ago). A search of my posts will confirm that I have talked him up in the past. I just don't care for the tactics that appear to be at play on this forum. It seems underhanded and deceptive. If he wants to advertise here, he should purchase advertisements from the site's owners and he should present it as what it is, not disguised as an unsolicited testimonial.

If I have incorrectly lumped you in with previous offenders, sorry. The broken English and frequent misspellings in your first post and the absence of it in your second post does not reassure me of your intent. Just sayin'.

<Deleted by mod>

I am proud of my level of English and my vocabulary. Thank you for the compliment.
I understand you concern and see your point.
Recently junior partner asked about my opinion what course I would take.
He posed the same question to another partner, who did not take any courses and read only Miller, the both volumes. His idea was read Miller several times and you will be fine.
I am pretty sure my partner was not paid by Dr.Miller to promote his book.
Similar, I relayed my experience of 1 yr preparation which happen to be with Dr. Ho.
I have nothing to gain here.

There is one conceivable explanation to your query why people leave only one post and then leave. People want to share how they got results. Then they go about their life to enjoy the free time and dont come back to forums.
There are a handful of guys who is capable of expressing opinions and putting them online. You are one of them. Dr.Blansten. You are a real blogger (in a good sense).

Congrats on passing the boards!

<Deleted by mod>

<Deleted by mod>

I studied the Ho course book, took the Ho course, and used board stiff for additional practice exams. The key to passing is practicing with a friend. It is very different to know the knowledge in your head and verbalizing it in a quick concise manner.

Are these '3 people' posting from the same IP address?

Are these '3 people' posting from the same IP address?

it doesn't appear so.

Let me echo the words from a previous user:

If I am incorrect, then I apologize. However, this time of year is when we see a multitude of "new" posters who sign up to tell us how great Dr Ho is and then they never stick around to post about anything else. Makes me a bit wary since you fit the profile so well. Actually, you fit the profile perfectly. I guess I have no way to prove it, it just seems suspicious.

I have nothing against Ho and think he is a very nice and intelligent guy who has helped a lot of people pass the boards (including me years ago). A search of my posts will confirm that I have talked him up in the past. I just don't care for the tactics that appear to be at play on this forum. It seems underhanded and deceptive. If he wants to advertise here, he should purchase advertisements from the site's owners and he should present it as what it is, not disguised as an unsolicited testimonial.

If I have incorrectly lumped you in with previous offenders, sorry. The broken English and frequent misspellings in your first post and the absence of it in your second post does not reassure me of your intent. Just sayin'.

Buyer beware!

Michael Ho does not have his pulse on the orals more than anyone else out there. Most of the people who take his course will pass. That is not because of him. Statistically speaking most of those who sit the orals will pass.

I took the Ho exam twice prior to my first attempt at the orals, you know what happened.

There is nothing mystical to the written or oral ABA exam. I passed the second time without a review course.

I spoke to a lot of people about the orals and read BS-III and the hand book for Anesthesia and Co-Existing Diseases. I prepared intensely.

The oral exam is not testing your knowledge but you must be able to place your knowledge into neat packets that are easily digestible by your examiners.
You must have an organized systematic approach to the orals.

After reading your stems you should know what questions you will be asked.
I use the anology of a soap opera. The players are placed in certain settings and the rest follows. A business tycoon will battle a long lost son who wants to take over his business. The tycoons' much younger wife will fall for his young handsome assistant.

Your OB patient will need a stat section but the epidural will fail.
The guy whose father died of a high fever following anesthesia now needs surgery.

Are these stems that I received , of course not. The ABA owns their questions and I agreed not to share them. These issues come up every day in the OR. We already know what to do but we must be able to convey that information in a reasonably intelligent fashion.

For those who failed the orals
1.Write down your questions and try to remember what you said. Write this down for your own education. Do not share this with anyone. Think of what you should have said. Think of the good answers that you gave. Recall the poor answers that you gave and why you gave the poor answers.

2. Take off the rest of May and June, however complete step 1 before you take a break.

3. Save the ,"we regret to inform you," letter from the ABA. Do not tear it up in anger or frustation. The feed back may be helpful to you.

4. Do not keep failing the orals a secret. Keeping those who can support and help you in the dark will not serve you well. Ask for help.

5. Do not doubt your worth as a physician or anesthesiologist

6. Come up with a game plan.

7. Figuring out a way to dissect you stem that works for you is important.
The stem will tell you what you will be asked based on the facts of the case.

8. Find sources that you can read through several times.

9. Film yourself. Review the dvd with a friend or SO who will give you honest feed back.
10. If you failed the orals twice make radical changes. You have only one more chance before things get painful.

11. Don't panic and stick to a game plan.

12. Stay away from passive learning situations where someone is talking at you. You need to be in the drivers seat.

13. Think twice before you spend $$$$ on review courses. If you are a poor speaker a few days with Ho or Jensen will not help you. You may need months of hard work.

14. Realize that you can pass this test.

Cambie

p.s.

Shoot me a pm if you want more details. I've been there and I made it.

Last edited:
<Deleted by mod>

Another new subscriber! Thank you JustAGirl1 for your useful (and I'm sure totally unbiased :)) opinion!!!

Mods....I think you have just cause to put the ol' lock on this thread.

<Deleted by mod>

A bit of discouragement from senior and older members to those who join or consider joining this forum anew...I feel I must re-write my own post to not be labeled as an "agent" of any particular review course. After all, it is only natural to suppose that new members do join to share their opinion and post on this thread after they pass the boards...

1) Read, read, read!
2) Practice, practice, practice!
3) Take a review course only to consolidate what you already know, ANY review course that is, heck, pick it based on price, scheduling, opinion of your friends and colleagues, but remember, "an unbiased agent" is hiding behind every corner...:oops: OR don't take one at all...
4) And, finally, dress professionally and act accordingly. I rode up in an elevator to my designated hotel floor with two young ladies dressed in jeans and T-shirts (they somehow did not think this was a professional attire event...)
5) And don't join this forum right after you pass...sad..."sigh"

Did those two ladies with jeans and a t shirt actually go to be examined or were they just checking out where to go for their exam the next day? That is just foolish to go dressed like that.

A bit of discouragement from senior and older members to those who join or consider joining this forum anew...I feel I must re-write my own post to not be labeled as an "agent" of any particular review course.

Mmmmm hmmm.

5) And don't join this forum right after you pass...sad..."sigh"

Everyone is welcome here. We have a short fuse with midlevels who try to stir up crap, but even they are welcome here until they give us a reason to un-welcome them.

As far as the Ho shilling goes - I went to his course and thought it was somewhat helpful to me. Dr Ho seemed like a good guy who genuinely cared to help his students pass. I've got nothing against him. I don't know if it's him posting these testimonials, if he encourages students to spread the good word, if his assistants and helpers are doing it, or if it's all genuinely spontaneous.

Here's what I do know. I first noticed in 2008 after the fall boards that we had a horrible rash of people registering and posting once or twice on this forum extolling the virtues of Dr Ho's review course. It wasn't just one or two suspicious new users. It was very transparent.

meschler
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7532419&postcount=59

TristateMD
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7263473&postcount=42

gasdocmd bumped TristateMD
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7264153&postcount=44

anessha bumped gasdocmd
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7264708&postcount=45

Doover
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7267930&postcount=23

And Doover's post was bumped a week later by poi890
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7293725&postcount=24

And a week later hasss3364 bumps that post with another ringing endorsement
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7315810&postcount=26

And a week later kwame D bumps that post
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7326688&postcount=29

This year, in just the "Oral Board Scores Are Up" thread, we have
Runabout (joined May 2011, one post)
JUDO Man (joined May 2011, one post)

ETA - and another one this morning from Gasmandoc (joined May 2011, one post)

In this thread (bumped by a new user, incidentally):
earredonmd (joined May 2011, one post)
ElanWA (joined May 2011, three posts - two defending the first)
Much less suspicious are vangadi (joined 2005, two posts) and anteater25 (joined 2009, one post) - nothing at all wrong with low-post lurking
... and now you JustAGirl1 (joined May 2011, two posts)

Now, far be it from me to unequivocally accuse ALL of you of being shills for Dr Ho's course.

But if you refuse to see a pattern here or protest its existence, methinks thou doth protesteth too mucheth.

Welcome to the forum! Lurk or post as you like. It's a fun place and we're not trying to chase anyone out, much less newly board certified attendings! :)

Last edited:
<Deleted by mod>

I just passed the Orals on first attempt. I chose to pass on all review courses primarily due my lack of ability to concentrate on a lecture lasting more than 10 min. Two of my former classmates attended the 3-4 day course days before the exam. From what I gathered, the course is basically some tool lecturing for 12 hours straight followed my public mock orals. I think the public mock orals would have been invaluable just to assess the competition. If you have not amassed an extensive clinically relevant knowledge base 3-4 days prior to the exam, no 4 day lecture marathon will save you. My two buddies attended the first day and avoided further torture by skipping the rest of the course (they both passed).

Every single one?? :roflcopter:

:rofl:

This is getting funnier by the moment.... :laugh:

I just passed the Orals on first attempt. I chose to pass on all review courses primarily due my lack of ability to concentrate on a lecture lasting more than 10 min. Two of my former classmates attended the 3-4 day course days before the exam. From what I gathered, the course is basically some tool lecturing for 12 hours straight followed my public mock orals. I think the public mock orals would have been invaluable just to assess the competition. If you have not amassed an extensive clinically relevant knowledge base 3-4 days prior to the exam, no 4 day lecture marathon will save you. My two buddies attended the first day and avoided further torture by skipping the rest of the course (they both passed).

Sounds reasonable.

What would you recommend some of us incoming CA-0s do when we hit CA-1 fun-land?

In addition to reading, should we turn each case we do into an oral mock exam with our respective attending while in the middle of a case and the operation in full-swing? Then, follow it up with typing/writing out notes as discussed during said mock-oral?

Ok, I guess I'll give my 2 cents now ...

I just took the oral board exam last month and passed it on my first attempt. Was I a super star stellar resident?? Probably not. My scores were usually above average but certainly not 90+%ile like every one else on this message board. I DID NOT take a review coarse for either the written or oral board exam. I passed the writtens easily and feel I did well on the oral board exam.

For me, the key is finding study materials that are concise and provide the essentials in being able to answer predictable answers. As I studied, I constantly read a section and would ask myself questions on that topic and would speak out loud my response. I had many lists of Ddx's memorized in my head (maybe a plug for Knock Out the Boards since it does focus on DDx). I also read a few review books that had question and answer sections in it (i.e. Board Stiff, etc ...).

A few weeks before the exam, I met up with 2 former resident colleagues and another guy who was a new grad with one of my buddies. Out of the 4 of us, guess how many of us did Ho's course (or whomever else you want to plug in), ZERO. We gave each other practice exams for 2 days and went over common topics with each other. All 4 of us passed on our first attempt.

I think if I had failed I would've considered taking a review coarse. I just don't see these review courses being all that helpful unless you're many years out of residency (my program did pretty well in giving multiple mock oral exams during the year, also I had several attendings who would do mock exams during down time, especially in OB) or maybe English is a second language.

There really is no shame in saying "I am not sure, I don't know, I'd have to ask a colleague, etc." I probably said that once per section and didn't feel it reflected bad on my exam. Stand firm when you need to but definitely adjust your stance when the situation arises. I felt like one set of examiners were straight forward, would ask a question, then move on. My other set were much more aggressive and tried to get me to change my position, have a pushy surgeon, and attempt to make me doubt myself.

All in all I felt the exam was very fair. I do think it is a crap shoot in what you get and can't really see how this justifies passing and failing someone based on 1 hour of interaction but I guess that's what makes board certification what it is.

Hope that helps some.

P.S. I think all these Ho plugs are making me very nauseous and I'd love to see them go away. How pathetic is it that he is making blatantly obvious self testimonials to try to pad his bank account? I may just punch him in the face if I ever meet him.

I too was very skeptical of the Ho course till this true story happened to me. I failed the orals 8 straight times and my group made me go to the Ho course. He taught me not just how to crush the exam, but how to succeed in life. After acing the test I used his life skills to approach the most beautiful womean I saw and married her within one month. I then applied his tools to the stock market and real estate and made 5 million dollars within 6 months. I retired from anesthesia within one year of the course and now am planning a run for US Senate.

It's true, to really be a pimp ya gotta go see the Ho.

Last edited:
I too was very skeptical of the Ho course till this true story happened to me. I failed the orals 8 straight times and my group made me go to the Ho course. He taught me not just how to crush the exam, but how to succeed in life. After acing the test I used his life skills to approach the most beautiful womean I saw and married her within one month. I then applied his tools to the stock market and real estate and made 5 million dollars with 6 months. I retired from anesthesia within one year of the course and now am planning a run for US Senate.

It's true, to really be a pimp ya gotta go see the Ho.

That's a major fail... :laugh:

Run for Prez dude! :thumbup: