Sorry to Spam but Need advice on finalized list. Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rihdus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA-3.9
sGPA-3.94-3.95
MCAT-33R(11PS,10VR,12BS)

Stuff I've done-
Refugee Mentor (1.5hrs/wk~35 total) Continuing for next year
University Sponsored Tutor in Neurobiology and Orgo
Tennis Club
Pre-health Society
Undergrad Neuro Council
Orgo Workshop Leader
Research at Neuro Lab (~2 yrs) no publications
Volunteered at Nursing Home (4hrs/wk during summer, ~50hrs)
Shadowed 4 doctors (total ~ 125hrs)
ER volunteer (4hrs/wk for 1 semester)
Couple of Awards
Tutoring Inner-city elementary children
Job moving Medical files in Imaging building
Volunteer at Local Hindu Temple

Schools:

Reach-
Columbia
Harvard
Northwestern
Cornell
Mt. Sinai

Competitive (IMO)-
Case
Dartmouth
Mayo
NYU
Brown
BUMS
Rochester

Safety -
Georgetown
Buffalo Uni.
Downstate
Stony Brook
Tufts

Appreciate any input. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like a good list to me. You're going to get into at least 1 school.

Hm...it's balanced stats-wise, but your 'competitive' list has some pretty prestigious names on there. I'd add a few more mid-level schools, and watch out for Brown and Georgetown. Brown b/c they take very few applicants off AMCAS (search Brown on SDN for why this is), and Georgetown gets about 13k+ applications plus a .very. expensive secondary, so it's not really as safe as its stats suggest. Try GWU instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm...it's balanced stats-wise, but your 'competitive' list has some pretty prestigious names on there. I'd add a few more mid-level schools, and watch out for Brown and Georgetown. Brown b/c they take very few applicants off AMCAS (search Brown on SDN for why this is), and Georgetown gets about 13k+ applications plus a .very. expensive secondary, so it's not really as safe as its stats suggest. Try GWU instead.

I have heard about Brown, It kinda sucks:(. What would suggest for mid-level schools?

Ok. Here I go. Bout to hit this......UGK....UDSA certified.
..................................................................................
First of all, I am guessing that you are a NY resident with all of those schools on your list. Your list is not too bad, but I want to make a few comments. On your competitive list, i would shift Mayo to to your reach, given that they have less that a 1% admission rate...

GPA wise, you are set. the average for most of your reach schools are about 3.8. Howver, you mcat is semi-competitive for ALL of those schools on your list. Median mcat for sinai is approx. 35, which puts you on the lower end (not bad). My advice would be to dilute this "top-heavy" list with some safeties, such as

New York Medical College
Albany Medical College
Boston University
George Washington
South Dakota (which has a very small applicant pool)
Baylor College (not a safety...)
Uconn

You kinda get the point. You have really good stats, with a competitive mcat,. You have done a lot of stuff plus good research, which is VERY GOOD for some of these higfher research institutions (Harvard)......Well Good Luck...

But you know, I am only a HS student......Maybe I do not know ish...and leave the work to the big boys....

Brown's increasing the class size (due to new Med building) to 120 this year, of which only 35 are BS/MD kids from Brown. Roughly 80 spots are for standard admits!

Brown's increasing the class size (due to new Med building) to 120 this year, of which only 35 are BS/MD kids from Brown. Roughly 80 spots are for standard admits!
Hey, rd31, have you heard if they plan to maintain their regional bias or will they be more open to applicants from other parts of the country?

Last edited:
Hey, rd31, have you heard if they paln to manintain their regional bias or will they be more open to applicants from other parts of the country?

Um, there is no regional bias for standard admits. I'm not sure how or where that rumor started. Since PLME (Brown undergrads) fill about 35 slots, the admissions office aggressively seeks geographic/institutional diversity with the remaining positions. Regular Brown undergrads (i.e. non-PLME) stand little to no chance of admission. If you check the website, you'll find that 89 undergraduate institutions are represented from all over the country http://med.brown.edu/admissions/facts.html.

If you still think there's regional bias (if you remove the PLME's from consideration), also consider the fact that the majority of applicants are from the northeast.

The class rose this year from 96 to 108, and for this cycle, the class size is aimed to reach 120 (the final target class size that the new med building has capacity for). In addition, PLME spots are decreasing and standard admit slots are rising. Given that all of this isn't well known yet, if you apply, you should have as good of chance at Brown as at any other great medical school.

And for your information, I'm a standard admit from Michigan. My roommate is a standard admit from Ohio, and the first person to contact me for housing was a standard admit from Texas. Our facebook group was started by two standard admits from California. For some reason, we have many in our class from Colorado.

Last edited: