School list final advice USMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plantz54

Reaction score
About to submit today! i have worked and reworked my school list and I feel like i am just so uncertain about whether its accurate to my application potential. any advice here on schools im not considering would be greatly welcome.

quick app rundown: ORM, low SES, applying USMD only, 3.87 GPA, 523 MCAT, non trad 5 years out of school, clincial >4000 hours (lots of different clinical jobs), volunteer ~1200 (leadership oriented school club), research ~2600 hours (no pubs no posters non traditional research)

school list rundown:

27 schools, 33% public, 67% private.

3 T5: Vandy, Columbia, UCSF (mission fit for all three)

5 T15: UW (in state), Mayo, U Michigan, Kaiser, Pitt

6 T30: OHSU (strong ties), Keck, UCSD, UNC (strong ties), Colorado (strong ties), Emory

The rest which is roughly half T50 and half T100 or unranked: Dartmouth, Boston U, Rochester, Miami, Tufts, Loyola, Quinnipac, Washington state (in state), Wake forest (strong ties), Vermont, Tulane, Rush

Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you fill out a template? I can't seem to locate it. In-state residency and your description of your activities would help.
Oh I’m sorry I relatively new to the thread. I’m a Washington resident and my activities are pretty broad,

clinical: EMT-b on IFT/ EMS, neonatal flight crew member, ED tech, wildland firefighter crew medic, then wildland fire medic (bulk is here total 5000 hours by matriculation)

Volunteer: EMS internship at a local ED, volunteer pararescue team Abroad, and leadership for a school club (bulk here 1000 hours) that one was a most meaningful.

Research: botany and plant systematics, no pubs, no posters, long term engagement but I was never super super involved in publishing at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take off Quinnipiac, Loyola, Tulane and Rush. They won't think you will attend if you have such a high MCAT score.

Add:
Jefferson
USF
UVA
WUSTL
Saint Louis
Hofstra
Einstein
Stony Brook

Take off Quinnipiac, Loyola, Tulane and Rush. They won't think you will attend if you have such a high MCAT score.

Add:
Jefferson
USF
UVA
WUSTL
Saint Louis
Hofstra
Einstein
Stony Brook
Shoot I just submitted :/ I added UPenn and uva though. Funny thing is I actually would be be so excited to go to Tulane in New Orleans it’s a shame they might write me off.

Shoot I just submitted :/ I added UPenn and uva though. Funny thing is I actually would be be so excited to go to Tulane in New Orleans it’s a shame they might write me off.
You can add schools after being verified.
About to submit today! i have worked and reworked my school list and I feel like i am just so uncertain about whether its accurate to my application potential. any advice here on schools im not considering would be greatly welcome.

quick app rundown: ORM, low SES, applying USMD only, 3.87 GPA, 523 MCAT, non trad 5 years out of school, clincial >4000 hours (lots of different clinical jobs), volunteer ~1200 (leadership oriented school club), research ~2600 hours (no pubs no posters non traditional research)

school list rundown:

27 schools, 33% public, 67% private.

3 T5: Vandy, Columbia, UCSF (mission fit for all three)

5 T15: UW (in state), Mayo, U Michigan, Kaiser, Pitt

6 T30: OHSU (strong ties), Keck, UCSD, UNC (strong ties), Colorado (strong ties), Emory

The rest which is roughly half T50 and half T100 or unranked: Dartmouth, Boston U, Rochester, Miami, Tufts, Loyola, Quinnipac, Washington state (in state), Wake forest (strong ties), Vermont, Tulane, Rush

Thank you for your input!
This breakdown isn't a good way to categorize the list for your application (I'm assuming this is us news or something else similarly irrelevant).

Reactions: 2 users
You can add schools after being verified.

This breakdown isn't a good way to categorize the list for your application (I'm assuming this is us news or something else similarly irrelevant).
Yes i totally agree I just felt that was maybe an accessible format? My mistake. I also had them organized on a spread sheet by average matriculated MCAT and there were some discrepancies around the t-20 and up schools. Like for instance KPSM is a ways down the rankings even though they are one of the most competitive schools. I basically set it up where the bulk of my schools in general were the ones where I was in the 90th percentile for MCAT score for private schools and 95th percentile for public schools.

ALSO: I did not know that you’re a god send I would love some feedback them about a better way to approach my school list!

Gotta tell us what your mission match is with Tulane.
Well it’s a mix of things, the biggest thing really is that I love New Orleans and the culture/history there. On top of that though it’s a very diverse population that is disproportionately effected by climate change-both are aspects that I’m keen to work with. They also have good resources for folks who want to study rural health which is my aim.

Add:
Jefferson
USF
UVA
WUSTL
Saint Louis
Hofstra
Einstein
Stony Brook
Ok so since I've now learned that I can add and remove schools after submission of the primary. I haven't really looked into those schools primarily because I don't want to live in those cities unless it's for a very good reason -UPenn for philly or Columbia for NY. do you know if any of the schools you mentioned to add have robust rural track programs like the Columbia basset program at Columbia?

Ok so since I've now learned that I can add and remove schools after submission of the primary. I haven't really looked into those schools primarily because I don't want to live in those cities unless it's for a very good reason -UPenn for philly or Columbia for NY. do you know if any of the schools you mentioned to add have robust rural track programs like the Columbia basset program at Columbia?
It is good to have some extra schools in case things don't work out after interviews. You can always decline their offer if you get in somewhere else. Saint Louis and WUSTL may have something, you will have to spend the time looking more into those. WUSTL should be on your list since they usually interview the majority of their high MCAT applicants.

Tufts, which you already included, has the Maine track. Some of the TMDSAS programs have rural programs (A&M, Lubbock, El Paso) that could be open to you since they usually reserve their OOS spots for high stat applicants. Prior experience in rural settings or growing up in one is usually needed for any of these specific tracks.

Reactions: 1 users
It is good to have some extra schools in case things don't work out after interviews. You can always decline their offer if you get in somewhere else. Saint Louis and WUSTL may have something, you will have to spend the time looking more into those. WUSTL should be on your list since they usually interview the majority of their high MCAT applicants.

Tufts, which you already included, has the Maine track. Some of the TMDSAS programs have rural programs (A&M, Lubbock, El Paso) that could be open to you since they usually reserve their OOS spots for high stat applicants. Prior experience in rural settings or growing up in one is usually needed for any of these specific tracks.
Ok cool thanks for the input! I didn’t even have the Texas schools on my radar with them having their own application and all. I did grow up in a rural area and have prior experience so that’s what I’m looking for!