Am I still able to get into Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Will2Survive

All it takes is Will
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Bonjour!

I am currently finishing my sophomore year of College. My gpa atm is a solid 3.1. I have only taken statistics, College algebra, and Biology 1. I still need about 10 or 11 pre reqs left. Is it possible that I could still pull of a 3.4 or 3.5 to be competitive for Medical School?

My first year was a little rocky due to some family issues. This year I have received all A's except 1 B. If I continue to do well will I be competitive? I have been taking practice Mcats. ( I know too early) So far scores have been 25 or 26. I have not taken any pre reqs besides 3 so far. I believe that once I take them I can pull of a 29 or 30 hopefully. Sorry for running my mouth so long.

Also, for my prereqs, could you please give me a good schedule to follow? What classes should I take first and what class to leave for last?

Thank you for reading my post :)

Members don't see this ad.

Whether you can pull a good gpa is completely up to you.

Most people do Gen Chem and Bio in the first year, then Organic and Physics in the second year. However, you can really do it any way you want. Pretty much the only thing is you need to take Gen Chem before OChem.

I would talk this out with an academic adviser. Figure out what classes you can fit in when. And don't worry too much about keeping to a schedule. Take as much time as you need to finish the prereqs and prep for the MCAT.

And speaking of the MCAT, getting a 25 or 26 without prereqs is pretty dang good. You should be able to increase that substantially, so shoot higher than a 29 or 30.

Good luck. It's a long process.

yeah 25 or 26 w/o almost any prereqs is really good...I'm assumign ur Verbal is really high? regardless..u can potentially look at a 10 point increase if u do well in all ur classes/prep/learn whatnot.

3.1 is not the end of the world..and u've plenty of time..don't look back and ponder but keep a high upward trend and u shd be okay if u pull it to a 3.6ish.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took AP Biology and Physics in high school. my verbal actually was only 5-6, physical 10
biological 10

Hello everyone. Bonjour!

I am currently finishing my sophomore year of College. My gpa atm is a solid 3.1. I have only taken statistics, College algebra, and Biology 1. I still need about 10 or 11 pre reqs left. Is it possible that I could still pull of a 3.4 or 3.5 to be competitive for Medical School?

My first year was a little rocky due to some family issues. This year I have received all A's except 1 B. If I continue to do well will I be competitive? I have been taking practice Mcats. ( I know too early) So far scores have been 25 or 26. I have not taken any pre reqs besides 3 so far. I believe that once I take them I can pull of a 29 or 30 hopefully. Sorry for running my mouth so long.

Also, for my prereqs, could you please give me a good schedule to follow? What classes should I take first and what class to leave for last?

Your borderline bro

I will study as much as possible. I wouldn't mind going DO if MD is not possible. As long as I can get into Medical School.

Your borderline bro

^Not sure if srs.

Of course you still have a chance. You need to rock your grades from here on out, however. I'm in a similar boat. What's the difference between your 3.1 and your buddies 3.6? I don't know, you both need to keep getting high grades in the later years of your undergrad.

Especially if you're hitting 10's in the sciences before even finishing some crucial pre-reqs. Keep getting those A's and you'll be fine.

My pre-med advisor told me I have no shot getting into any med school if my GPA is sub 3.8. Some people. :laugh:

I do plan on graduating first and then study for the MCAT and then apply to Medical school. Time is not the issue as long as I get into a great school.

^Not sure if srs.

Of course you still have a chance. You need to rock your grades from here on out, however. I'm in a similar boat. What's the difference between your 3.1 and your buddies 3.6? I don't know, you both need to keep getting high grades in the later years of your undergrad.

Especially if you're hitting 10's in the sciences before even finishing some crucial pre-reqs. Keep getting those A's and you'll be fine.

My pre-med advisor told me I have no shot getting into any med school if my GPA is sub 3.8. Some people. :laugh:

Its much easier said then done. Someone who gets a 3.1, can greatly improve, but if they don't break 3.5 accum and don't get above average on the MCAT, a MD school may be a pipedream

Its much easier said then done. Someone who gets a 3.1, can greatly improve, but if they don't break 3.5 accum and don't get above average on the MCAT, a MD school may be a pipedream

I understand that, but his question are about his chances. Is it possible.

The quick answer to that is yes, it is quite possible. Is it likely? Well, is it likely that any of us will get in?

Did you notice he's getting 10's on his sciences before finishing prereqs? (Assuming he's truthful). Just get on that verbal man, it's not as hard as some people make it out to be (my opinion, take it with a grain o' salt).

If you end up with a 3.4 and a 34mcat, I'd put money on you getting in somewhere. Don't plan on being a Hopkins Neurosurgeon, however. This isn't an exact science, kids. There are 4.0/32's that don't get in, and there are 3.2/29's that get in.

The beautiful part is that it's purely in your hands from here on out, OP. Good luck to you. :luck:

I know that If I don't have 3.5+ I won't be as competitive as my buddies. I know that if I keep studying the way I have been for the past year I can surely raise it to 3.3 or 3.4. I know can do a PostBac if I need to raise a little more.

English is not my first language, that is why the verbal kicks my butt. I try and read everyday but my brain doesn't really seem to understand english very well.

I know that If I don't have 3.5+ I won't be as competitive as my buddies. I know that if I keep studying the way I have been for the past year I can surely raise it to 3.3 or 3.4. I know can do a PostBac if I need to raise a little more.

Just a heads up, Postbacc GPA is calculated separately and not grouped in with your undergraduate GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up, Postbacc GPA is calculated separately and not grouped in with your undergraduate GPA.

Thank you for that, I was under the assumption that it did. But it does help to do a PostBacc right?

LOL once I read the word "bonjour," I was seriously expecting a troll thread...

As someone already mentioned, post-bacc GPA is displayed separately from undergrad GPA. A way to circumvent this is to simply delay graduation and continue to take courses as a "super senior" in which case everything will get lumped into your undergrad GPA. Just a thought.

As someone already mentioned, post-bacc GPA is displayed separately from undergrad GPA. A way to circumvent this is to simply delay graduation and continue to take courses as a "super senior" in which case everything will get lumped into your undergrad GPA. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, thank you so much. I don't mind staying 1-2 semesters after I'm done with my major. thank you for that insight.

Is 5 years the maximum for that? What if you get two separate bachelors?

I could search, but, you know. :laugh:

Hello everyone. Bonjour!

This link will be VERY useful to you; at least it was for me. You can enter your current GPA and figure out what it will be at the end of term, or even what GPA you need to maintain over the next however many credit hours to raise to whatever you want. Very cool tool. I was in the same boat as you and didn't really pull it up much. But I did have an interview a couple weeks back and should have a response come monday...:xf: So I'll let you know then if you still have a shot :laugh:

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

Last edited:
I took AP Biology and Physics in high school. my verbal actually was only 5-6, physical 10
biological 10

I think you are on a way to a great MCAT score, if you study hard. I think you stand a fairly good chance if you pull up your GPA, especially with your in-state schools. Also, work on your EC's and LORs.

I think you are on a way to a great MCAT score, if you study hard. I think you stand a fairly good chance if you pull up your GPA, especially with your in-state schools. Also, work on your EC's and LORs.

But the practice tests are taken in low stress environments and are not a amazingly accurate predictor. I rocked many of my practice tests, but scored 3 points below my average on the real thing(29). Just perform on the real thing OP and pad your GPA and you will be competitive (stat wise).

I do plan on graduating first and then study for the MCAT and then apply to Medical school. Time is not the issue as long as I get into a great school.

With that GPA, even if you can pull it up to a 3.5 (which will be hard), this is probably out of reach.

I am taking french as part of my requirement of a foreign language. No troll here, I really am serious.

No I totally believe you! I was just expecting something some trolling as I started to read on. I didn't find any. Your greetng just grabbed my attention, that's all.

Thank you for that, I was under the assumption that it did. But it does help to do a PostBacc right?

Whoa wait a minute. Some seriously bad information being presented in this thread.

Post-bacc classes definitely are lumped together with your undergraduate GPA to give your "Cumulative Undergraduate" GPAs. Those GPAs include undergraduate BCPM GPA, undergraduate all other (AO) GPA, and total cumulative undergraduate GPA.

Your post-bacc GPA will be separated out from the high school (which is talking about college courses taken while still in high school) GPA, freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior GPAs. However, when they add everything together to create the cumulative undergraduate GPAs, your post-bacc coursework will definitely be included in those calculations.

The 2012 AMCAS instructions, page 9:
Post baccalaureate (PB) course work is included in the "Undergraduate Total" GPA as well as in a separate "Post baccalaureate" GPA.

See attachment for a screenshot of how your GPAs will be displayed. As you can see, there's no line for "GPA while enrolled in a bachelor's degree program."

However, coursework from a SMP wouldn't be lumped together with your undergraduate coursework since you would be pursuing a master's degree. That would separate those courses into the graduate GPA line.

As a side note, the cumulative undergraduate GPA (which includes postbacc coursework as explained above) is the GPA used to create the statistics for the individual schools and for the AMCAS FACTS page where acceptance information is provided.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-04 at 1.03.14 PM.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 433
^ Oh, I didn't know that post-bacc was lumped into the undergrad GPA calculation. However you can still avoid labeling your 5th/6th year undergrad coursework as post-bacc if you delay graduation. Years 4-x will just be listed as 'senior' (though I guess it's moot if post-bacc is lumped in anyway).

Edit: Ah, here was the source of confusion for me: (p.9)
Post baccalaureate (PB) course work is included in the "Undergraduate Total" GPA as well as in a separate "Post baccalaureate" GPA.

With that GPA, even if you can pull it up to a 3.5 (which will be hard), this is probably out of reach.

Not necessarily. For a Top 10, probably a very very long stretch, but we do not know if OP is an URM or not or what his EC's are.

OP if you can get up to 3.5, you have a decent chance

You have a long road ahead of you but it's definitely not impossible for getting into med school (top 10 and great that's a whole other story) . You'll need to rock the MCAT for sure but there are plenty of 3.4 and mid to upper 30s MCAT applicants that are doing well this cycle. It's a matter of applying broadly and early then. Plus there are many 1-2 year SMPs that I'd strongly recommend looking at especially if you think you have the ability to handle the workload even if you don't have the best MCAT score; there are few good ones like EVMS, Rosalind Franklin, Toledo, and Cincy that have great linkages plus you can apply elsewhere while doing the SMP. The more important thing is to come up with a game plan and to figure and fix what has caused your 3.1 GPA in the first place.

Not necessarily. For a Top 10, probably a very very long stretch, but we do not know if OP is an URM or not or what his EC's are.

I am a hispanic male, from Cuba actually. Idk if that qualifies me for URM status. Single Parent Home, broke as then next person. But I really don't want my ethnicity to be a part of their decision. I want it to be based on my grades.

No I totally believe you! I was just expecting something some trolling as I started to read on. I didn't find any. Your greetng just grabbed my attention, that's all.

Yea I was debating whether to use it or not. I just wanted to practice it. I have a test thursday. :0:thumbdown:

You have a long road ahead of you but it's definitely not impossible for getting into med school (top 10 and great that's a whole other story) . You'll need to rock the MCAT for sure but there are plenty of 3.4 and mid to upper 30s MCAT applicants that are doing well this cycle. It's a matter of applying broadly and early then. Plus there are many 1-2 year SMPs that I'd strongly recommend looking at especially if you think you have the ability to handle the workload even if you don't have the best MCAT score; there are few good ones like EVMS, Rosalind Franklin, Toledo, and Cincy that have great linkages plus you can apply elsewhere while doing the SMP. The more important thing is to come up with a game plan and to figure and fix what has caused your 3.1 GPA in the first place.

Thank you for the great advice, I am trying really hard to keep up my goodwork, so that freshman year doesn't happen again.

I am a hispanic male, from Cuba actually. Idk if that qualifies me for URM status. Single Parent Home, broke as then next person. But I really don't want my ethnicity to be a part of their decision. I want it to be based on my grades.

Hmm, I think it does (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey man, so does the next guy, but it would be stupid not to use the advantage that was gifted to you

Hmm, I think it does (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hey man, so does the next guy, but it would be stupid not to use the advantage that was gifted to you

It is not a gift. I see it as a curse. I don't want people thinking I got into a school just because I have black hair brown skin and look poor. I wish my skin was lighter lol, that way it would be different.

What may I ask is the difference between me saying he probably won't be able to get into a great school and the bold part of your comment? Even as a URM he would have a near impossible time at top tens with a 3.5.

What may I ask is the difference between me saying he probably won't be able to get into a great school and the bold part of your comment? Even as a URM he would have a near impossible time at top tens with a 3.5.

I'm not looking for top 10 btw guys. my top 10 for me is consisted of 4 state schools and the rest I know aren't top 10. But ouch reality check, now I know not to apply to John Hopkins or Harvard lol.:laugh:

Most people on here define "great" school as a Top 10, maybe along with their state schools. Also, a lot of the hSDN and new-comers define a "great" school as a Top 10

I'm not looking for top 10 btw guys. my top 10 for me is consisted of 4 state schools and the rest I know aren't top 10. But ouch reality check, now I know not to apply to John Hopkins or Harvard lol.:laugh:

Ha, if its your'e dream to go there, then make it happen man. Don't let your circumstances define your outcome. You want something,take the steps and go and get it.