****The Official Nova Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

Dr. Lipman just called... ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all! I have the "wait listed" update on AADSAS. Oh nooo!

Got the call from Dr. Lippman at 7:30!!!

Accepted! Congrats to everyone

also offer made on AADSAS portal, no phone call.

What are all your thoughts about the school? Think you'll put in a downpayment? I loved the campus and the vision of the school :D

also offer made on AADSAS portal, no phone call.

What are all your thoughts about the school? Think you'll put in a downpayment? I loved the campus and the vision of the school :D
It's definitely one of my top choices. I was lucky to be accepted to my 2 favorite schools (Nova and UAB) so I have a lot of thinking to do!! Love love love Nova though. Everyone was so nice and you can't beat the weather! (I'm from south florida, so it's like home to me)

So, my aadsas was updated this morning to "offer made" from Nova, but I have not recieve a phone call. Anyone else get the "offer made" status with no phone call.

Paranoia is starting set in again....first it was the acceptance fee thingie on the portal (which I did not have)...now no phone call....hopefully I get a call soon as it would make it more official.

So, my aadsas was updated this morning to "offer made" from Nova, but I have not recieve a phone call. Anyone else get the "offer made" status with no phone call.

Same here, not to worry. If It is updated to offer made in AADSAS, its final. I'm sure a call will come along eventually.

CONGRATS everyone!!! I was so happy to be woken up at 8:00 this morning!! I can't wait class 2016!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
5 people from UCLA received phone calls today. what are your top choices bruins?

do you guys know when deposits will be due?

I got an update this morning. Really surprised that I got in Dec 1st.
Looks like a great school, are there any Nova dental students on the forums that I can PM questions to?

I have the AADSAS "offer made" status, but no phone call.
Are we supposed to get something in the mail? Has anyone gotten it?

Congrats all!! I am currently a 3rd year dental student at Nova, if you have any questions feel free to ask them. I will answer as many as I can, but please forgive me if I do not respond right away, we have finals next week. Congrats again!

To the question about mail, when I got accepted I did recieve something in the mail. Yet, it was like 2-3 weeks after I got the call.

I got an update this morning. Really surprised that I got in Dec 1st.
Looks like a great school, are there any Nova dental students on the forums that I can PM questions to?

I have the AADSAS "offer made" status, but no phone call.
Are we supposed to get something in the mail? Has anyone gotten it?

Congrats everyone! I'm a D2 Nova student, feel free to message me with questions and I'll do my best to respond. I also have finals next week.

Accepted!!! Yayyyyy! This was my top choice!! I absolutely LOVE all of the students at Nova and the entire faculty along with the amazing area!! Nova does a great job at picking there students so I can't wait to meet everyone!! I know we'll all get along great and make a great class!!! Wooo-hooo!! Class of 2016!!!! :):luck:

Anybody get a phone call today?

Took my name off the Waitlist today, best of luck to those currently on the waitlist looking to get in! :luck:
And congrats to those who were accepted :D

Can a current student provide insight on your clinical experiences? PM me :) Thanks!!! :)

Apparently, there has been some sort of an error and those with "offer made" are actually waitlisted.

So, it looks like if you did not get a phone call but got "offer made" you are probably waitlisted. This is really starting to feel like a bad dream.....

Excuse me while I go vomit.

Can a current student provide insight on your clinical experiences? PM me :) Thanks!!! :)

I thought I answered most of your questions via PM, but will go into a little more detail. First, let me say the patient flow is not as big a problem as some make it out too be (it is not great, but it is not terrible either). D1 you will do some shadowing, perio, and sim lab work (preps and resto's, wax-ups, occlusion...etc). D2 year you get the BIG intro to clinic work (you have fixed+lab, removable+lab...etc), you will also start doing simple cleanings on patients this year. D3 and D4 are BIG into clinic work and requirements. The begining of D3 you do a TON of data collection and treatment planning, quite a bit of perio, and a small amount of restorative (not that you can't do more, just unlikley that you will do a BUNCH more). As the year progresses I hear it gets better and we really start putting out the work during end of D3 and begining of D4. I know this sounds bad, but remember that one day YOU will likely be a D4 as well and will need to get stuff done to graduate and when that happens you too will get the patients so that you can finish on time. That is just kinda how it works, now there are some who have done quite a bit as D3's, but I would say on the average BEGINING of D3 you will not be getting a TON of clinical requirements done. If you have any further specific questions feel free to ask. Let me say that during the first 2 years you will take A TON of tests. I remember having a test every day for 2 weeks during some of our first 2 years at the school. Early on you will be SWAMPED with tests and studying. (also let me say that I bet most of this is all VERY similar to other schools)

I thought I answered most of your questions via PM, but will go into a little more detail. First, let me say the patient flow is not as big a problem as some make it out too be (it is not great, but it is not terrible either). D1 you will do some shadowing, perio, and sim lab work (preps and resto's, wax-ups, occlusion...etc). D2 year you get the BIG intro to clinic work (you have fixed+lab, removable+lab...etc), you will also start doing simple cleanings on patients this year. D3 and D4 are BIG into clinic work and requirements. The begining of D3 you do a TON of data collection and treatment planning, quite a bit of perio, and a small amount of restorative (not that you can't do more, just unlikley that you will do a BUNCH more). As the year progresses I hear it gets better and we really start putting out the work during end of D3 and begining of D4. I know this sounds bad, but remember that one day YOU will likely be a D4 as well and will need to get stuff done to graduate and when that happens you too will get the patients so that you can finish on time. That is just kinda how it works, now there are some who have done quite a bit as D3's, but I would say on the average BEGINING of D3 you will not be getting a TON of clinical requirements done. If you have any further specific questions feel free to ask. Let me say that during the first 2 years you will take A TON of tests. I remember having a test every day for 2 weeks during some of our first 2 years at the school. Early on you will be SWAMPED with tests and studying. (also let me say that I bet most of this is all VERY similar to other schools)

Thanks a lot for the info. Very helpful. I am trying to decide between Nova and Tufts. I have been in touch with one of D-3 students at Tufts, and it seems their clinical program is top notch. However, Nova is cheaper, and I very much prefer to be in Florida! Not getting clinical done at the beginning of D3... is it because of being busy with the curriculum, or is it because the patient are assigned to D4s who need to graduate?

CONGRATULATIONS everyone!!! :clap:

I'm a second year at Nova so feel free to let me know if anyone has any questions :)

Thanks a lot for the info. Very helpful. I am trying to decide between Nova and Tufts. I have been in touch with one of D-3 students at Tufts, and it seems their clinical program is top notch. However, Nova is cheaper, and I very much prefer to be in Florida! Not getting clinical done at the beginning of D3... is it because of being busy with the curriculum, or is it because the patient are assigned to D4s who need to graduate?

First, let me say I think it would be HIGHLY unlikely at ANY school to get all of your clinic work done at the begining of your D3 year. Second, I would say that the reason it is a little slow early on is really common sense. To begin you are just starting and they want you to do more diagnosis and treatment planning than actual hard treatment (they want to ease you into clinic), also this goes with the fact that you mainly get NEW patients (before you can treat a new patient you need to diagnose and treatment plan). Also, like you said, most of the D4's get the patients they need to graduate. Once again, this may sound bad, but one day you may find yourself in that situation. It is definatly NOT because of studies (this year we only had like 6 classes and 1 lab (really not that bad at all).

First, let me say I think it would be HIGHLY unlikely at ANY school to get all of your clinic work done at the begining of your D3 year. Second, I would say that the reason it is a little slow early on is really common sense. To begin you are just starting and they want you to do more diagnosis and treatment planning than actual hard treatment (they want to ease you into clinic), also this goes with the fact that you mainly get NEW patients (before you can treat a new patient you need to diagnose and treatment plan). Also, like you said, most of the D4's get the patients they need to graduate. Once again, this may sound bad, but one day you may find yourself in that situation. It is definatly NOT because of studies (this year we only had like 6 classes and 1 lab (really not that bad at all).

Thanks again for clarification. I needed to know if this was because of limited patient pool or the design of the curriculum. I have another question for you. When you speak with current D4 students (with no major plans for specializing), are they fine to go directly to private practice (associate position), or they rather do a GPR? I know that many D4s are still deciding, but just want to get a feel for it.

Thanks again for clarification. I needed to know if this was because of limited patient pool or the design of the curriculum. I have another question for you. When you speak with current D4 students (with no major plans for specializing), are they fine to go directly to private practice (associate position), or they rather do a GPR? I know that many D4s are still deciding, but just want to get a feel for it.

You know, I am not really sure. If I had to make a guess it is about 50/50. To be honest, the requirements at Nova are not very difficult. Yet, at the end of the day dental school is what each student makes it. Some students are planning on going on to higher education and therefore have not been to worried about getting a ton of clinical experience and more worried about just graduating because they know they will get more experience in the future. However, others have no intent on any higher education and therefore are VERY intent on getting as much experience as possible, no matter what the requirements are. I know of a couple students who have already done some endos, multiple crowns, dentures...etc. Some of it is luck of the draw and some of it is connections (if you know a bunch of D4's and get their patients you can get a ton done quick).

accepted last month ....excited nova cop here i come..time to enjoy life a little before it starts

How many chairs are there in clinic?

How long do you spend on rotations?

How many chairs are there in clinic?

How long do you spend on rotations?

There is probably about 150 chairs or so. Rotation schedule just varies, but it is not much ( I had like 2 Pedo rotations, 5 OS rotations, 4 on call rotations, 1 ortho rotation, and 3 perio rotations this semester to give you an idea).

Hey,

I was wondering what the cost of living was around nova. Or if you don't mind saying, how much per year do y'all take out in terms of loans? I'm trying to figure out how much debt I will be looking at compared to some other schools.

Thanks

Hey,

I was wondering what the cost of living was around nova. Or if you don't mind saying, how much per year do y'all take out in terms of loans? I'm trying to figure out how much debt I will be looking at compared to some other schools.

Thanks

I think you can find info like this on their website. There is NO question that Nova is one of the MOST expensive schools (i think at least 300,000 seems about right). But I do not know the exact figures, I am actually going via the Army so I have not really concerned myself with cost too much. We pay like 1,300 a month right across the street at sunforest for a one bedroom (I would advise finding another place, don't like it here too much but it is waling distance).

I think you can find info like this on their website. There is NO question that Nova is one of the MOST expensive schools (i think at least 300,000 seems about right). But I do not know the exact figures, I am actually going via the Army so I have not really concerned myself with cost too much. We pay like 1,300 a month right across the street at sunforest for a one bedroom (I would advise finding another place, don't like it here too much but it is waling distance).

Not actually true about Nova being one of the most expensive schools. For in state students, It ranks 41st out of the 57 schools in the 2011 ADEA guide to dental schools. That's bottom 30%. As for being an out of state student, it's 22 out of 57, putting it in the cheapest 38%. So it's actually on the cheaper side if you are only accepted to out of state schools. A lot of students complain about it being really expensive, but you need to look at it in relation to other schools. You can see all the numbers at the following link:

http://dent.osu.edu/admissions/COST of ATTENDANCE - 2011.pdf

Also, 1300 for sunforest 1 bedroom?! That's a heck of a lot more expensive than what some of my classmates pay to live there.. You can get a 1 br at Cameron cove, about a quarter mile from school for 1000 (includes free ac, trash, water), also I pay 1350 for a 3 bedroom at uparc which is <1 mile from school and fairly new. There are plenty of options for living.

Last edited:
When do classes start?? Are we talking July or August?

Also, 1300 for sunforest 1 bedroom?! That's a heck of a lot more expensive than what some of my classmates pay to live there..

Well I would LOVE to speak with your classmates than. I have been here for 2 and 1/2 yrs and am paying 1300 per month (this does include water and trash as well)

One more question for startrak and Hordel 85:
I know the equipment cost paid for the first year is for purchasing the equipment ($10k-$12k?) which is added to $51k tuition. Is the total cost for D2-D4 just ~51K (plus whatever % inflation increase), or there are other significant costs added to the total amount (clinic fees, etc.)? I am trying to calculate the 4 year cost of attending, excluding living expenses.

One more question for startrak and Hordel 85:
I know the equipment cost paid for the first year is for purchasing the equipment ($10k-$12k?) which is added to $51k tuition. Is the total cost for D2-D4 just ~51K (plus whatever % inflation increase), or there are other significant costs added to the total amount (clinic fees, etc.)? I am trying to calculate the 4 year cost of attending, excluding living expenses.

Our D1 year was $9,600, D2 was $6,500. As far as I know, that covers all of our instrument expenses for your 4 years (you may spend an extra 25-50 each year buying extra practice teeth etc. if you practice a lot). 4th year there are some expenses in regards to taking licensure exams, although I have no idea how much they cost (plus itll be the same cost wherever you go to school) I don't know of any clinic fees.

Any cons to living on campus? Sharing a 4br apartment, you pay around ~$670 a month for fully furnished apartment + utilities. It seems much better than the rates mentioned above

I got the call around noon! So excited!:p

Were you on the waitlist? When was your interview?

I interviewed first week of Nov. I was wait listed on Dec. 1 on AADSAS. Received a letter in the mail a week later about "high hold". Nova asked for my grades for the fall semester. Phone call from Dr. Lippman yesterday around noon.

I interviewed first week of Nov. I was wait listed on Dec. 1 on AADSAS. Received a letter in the mail a week later about "high hold". Nova asked for my grades for the fall semester. Phone call from Dr. Lippman yesterday around noon.

Thank you and congratulation.