2011 Army specialty board results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krmower

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The list was published today for the Army specialties. If someone applied and was not listed I have no way of knowing that - so I am just counting accepted and alternates for the numbers.

2 yr AEGD

33 listed and 20 accepted. Out of 20 - 6 HPSP accepted. 8 HPSP alternates

Perio

5 listed (could have been more not showing up) and 4 accepted. 1 HPSP accepted

Endo

20 applied 8 accepted. HPSP not allowed to apply.

Prosth

6 listed 5 accepted. 2 HPSP accepted. 1 HPSP alternate

Public Health

None

Pedo

4 listed. 1 accepted. HPSP not allowed to apply

Ortho

9 listed and 3 accepted. 1 HPSP accepted. 1 HPSP alternate

OMFS

26 listed 11 accepted. 4 HPSP accepted. 3 HPSP alternate

Oral Path

2 listed and 1 accepted.

Again there may have been more that applied - I'm not going to get that info so I'm just adding up what can be seen.

Only other thing to note - each year what specialties an HPSP or direct accession can apply to can change. In the past Pedo, Endo, and ortho have been ones that they have limited.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i haven't heard of any HPSP students who have heard yet, myself included...

As per Col Manga, Letters will be sent out on Monday to those HPSP'ers that have been accepted into programs.

Hi! If you're reading this and you are an HPSP student accepted or waitlisted for Army Ortho, please send me a PM.

Why can't the HPSP do pedo?
Because the Dental Corps General has decided that will only be open to Active Duty Dental Officers. He (or she in the future) can decide what specialties to allow HPSP and direct accessions to apply for each year.

I will take a guess on this and say that by offering only active duty officers the chance to apply for some of the highly competative specialties like Pedo - it can act as both a reward/incentive - and/or as a way to vet someone first before you give the only slot available in that specialty to someone that you know little about. By only allowing someone who is on active duty, you know how evaluations and performance in the Army that you can also use in accessing them. You could see other specialites like Ortho or Endo on the list (that only takes active duty) in the future as well. Some years they have not taken HPSP.

Why can't the HPSP do pedo?

I'll add to what krmower stated, a big reason is that the residency programs typically will add to your army obligation. If you are accepted into a highly competitive program and then decide you don't like the army two things happen, the army just trained someone who will now get out at the first opportunity thus leaving them with a big negative when it comes to their return on investment.

secondly, the army then has resident's who don't necessarily want to bet there, which while that may sound dumb it can be very caustic to both the morale of the other residents and the outlook on the program as a whole. In the dental corp word gets around as many people strike up friends ships from dental school, OBLC, duty stations, TDY, CE courses, etc...

If you've been in the army and don't like it your likelihood of applying to a residency will go way down. The bottom line is the army wants you to stay in if they decide to offer you training. Not to mention they want to reward the docs that have served for a couple years and have deployed, went to C4, did EFMB, etc...

Seeing an LT on the ortho list for example has raised a few eyebrows and elicited several responses that were sent up the chain. Normally ortho is saved for those on active duty but it is different every year.

Krmower,

Where is the list of how many specialty positions are offered in a given year and whether or not they are limited to active duty dentists?

Krmower,

Where is the list of how many specialty positions are offered in a given year and whether or not they are limited to active duty dentists?
The same number at the start of this thread is what is available each year. Whether or not they are offerred to active duty dentists will vary year by year. Typicall Pedo, Ortho, Public Health, Oral Pathology, and Endo are the ones that may/may not be offerred to dental students. The others are.

I'll add to what krmower stated, a big reason is that the residency programs typically will add to your army obligation. If you are accepted into a highly competitive program and then decide you don't like the army two things happen, the army just trained someone who will now get out at the first opportunity thus leaving them with a big negative when it comes to their return on investment.

secondly, the army then has resident's who don't necessarily want to bet there, which while that may sound dumb it can be very caustic to both the morale of the other residents and the outlook on the program as a whole. In the dental corp word gets around as many people strike up friends ships from dental school, OBLC, duty stations, TDY, CE courses, etc...

If you've been in the army and don't like it your likelihood of applying to a residency will go way down. The bottom line is the army wants you to stay in if they decide to offer you training. Not to mention they want to reward the docs that have served for a couple years and have deployed, went to C4, did EFMB, etc...

Seeing an LT on the ortho list for example has raised a few eyebrows and elicited several responses that were sent up the chain. Normally ortho is saved for those on active duty but it is different every year.

Has there been a list of all those accepted/waitlisted released to AD dentists? There used to be a 2011 specialty results document on the GDE website for viewing, but now that has been taken down and there is no listing of the 2012 results.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has there been a list of all those accepted/waitlisted released to AD dentists? There used to be a 2011 specialty results document on the GDE website for viewing, but now that has been taken down and there is no listing of the 2012 results.
I posted the generic results on this thread. The ones with the names was sent out through the Dental Corps a month ago.

I posted the generic results on this thread. The ones with the names was sent out through the Dental Corps a month ago.

So it hasn't been released for public viewing by HPSP students just yet?

Has it been confirmed yet if oral surgery will be using hte NBME as the entrance exam into an oral surgery residency like their civilian couterpart has already done?

Thanks

Has it been confirmed yet if oral surgery will be using hte NBME as the entrance exam into an oral surgery residency like their civilian couterpart has already done?

Thanks
I haven't heard the any discussion yet by the Army to require this. If anything changes that information will be disseminated. The Army's current Graduate Education Director will retire and be replaced this summer. That would be the time frame I would expect to hear if any changes were to take place.

Where are the locations/bases of these specialties?

Where are the locations/bases of these specialties?
2 yr AEGD - Bragg, Hood, Hawaii
Endo - Gordon, Bragg
Perio - Gordon
Prosth - Gordon
Pedo - Baylor - Dallas, Tx (Civilian school)
Ortho - San Antonio, Louisville (Civilian school)
Oral Path - Bethesda/Walther Reed
Public Health - Iowa (Civilian School)
OMFS - Lewis, Hawaii, Bliss, San Antonio, Gordon, Bragg, Bethesda/Walter Reed

Any idea when the results will come out this year?

Any idea when the results will come out this year?
Applications will be due around mid-november. Board meets sometime during the first 2 weeks in December. Results released end of December/First part of January. Locations for where individuals will go may come out later January/Early February.

Applications will be due around mid-november. Board meets sometime during the first 2 weeks in December. Results released end of December/First part of January. Locations for where individuals will go may come out later January/Early February.

If one is chosen for an AEGD slot, is there anyway possible to influence assignment for future specialization purposes (e.g. I am interested in OS and Fort Lewis, WA is the only AEGD program with an OMFS program at the same location...thus more exposure to the OMFS program during the AEGD is highly likely).

If one is chosen for an AEGD slot, is there anyway possible to influence assignment for future specialization purposes (e.g. I am interested in OS and Fort Lewis, WA is the only AEGD program with an OMFS program at the same location...thus more exposure to the OMFS program during the AEGD is highly likely).
No. Since you have no way of knowing whether you will be selected or not for specialty training, prepositioning will not be something that is seriously considered by HRC. The reason being, is just because a location has that particular specialty...that program may not choose you to go there even if you are selected. Financially for the government it would make sense, but what happens if 2 residents from your AEGD class get selected for OMFS?

Thanks

the current recommendation, that i have heard from the OMFS consultant about two months ago, is that applicants should go ahead and take it.

it is not a requirement.....yet....but probably will become one....taking it (and getting a good score on it) shows initiative and will make you stand out as an applicant.