CCOM Class of 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocMan22

Human
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Official CCOM 2016 class thread. WELCOME!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else here worried about the price tag on CCOM? It is such a great medical school, but it is so expensive!!!

What field of medicine are you all looking to go in to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else here worried about the price tag on CCOM? It is such a great medical school, but it is so expensive!!!

What field of medicine are you all looking to go in to?

Not sure what field I'm going into. I'm ignoring the price tags on school because I've been working way too hard to be anywhere but the school that is the best fit for me. Here's a breakdown of the dollars.

1) There are many options in the future for earning more or less income through training
----------------------------------------------------
For schools I'm applying too
Lowest $22,000 X 4 years = $88,000
CCOM $50,000 X 4 years = $200,000

Difference = $112,000 (big chunk of change)

Lets say I choose to do an Internal medicine residency:
Osteopathic 4 years @ 50K = $200,000 income
Allopathic 3 yrs @ 50k + 1 yrs as attending (200k) = $350,000 income

Difference = $150,000 (big chunk of change)

Lets say I decide on a two year fellowship vs being an Attending
2 years as attending @ 200k = $400,000 income
2 years as fellow @ 50k = $1000,00 income

Difference = $300,000 (even bigger chunk of change)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) In the long run, its not difficult to pay back

Student loan
$88,000 @ 6.5% over 25 years = $594.18 / month
$200,000 @ 6.5% over 25 years = $1,350.41 / month

Not pocket change but if your making $200k/year that's $16k/month. After taxes ect lets say you see $10,000/month. An extra $750 is very manageable.

Avg family practice doc salary: $145k/yr
Avg Internal medicine salary: $186k/yr
Avg Gen Surg salary: $292k/yr

Docman well said my friend! People need to get over the money... if you live as a broke college student for 2 more years after finishing medical school you can pay off your debt. CCOM is in an area that I have grown up in... I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else expensive or not.

I too have been worried about the cost. But after finishing school and having to start making payments, you can have the government adjust your monthly payment based off of how much you are making in residency. Also if you do this while doing your residency at a non-profit hospital (which ~80% are) and then continue to work at a non-profit location, the government will forgive all your loans after 120 payments. So in the end you will be paying about the same amount of money back regardless of which school you go to, IF you work in non-profit.

Well spoken, friends. I am worried about the cost but mainly because of the thought of taking loans. The school has a fantastic program and is a great fit, so I'll be happy regardless.

I am doing the hpsp program so I will be leaving ccom with no debt. Except four years of my life of course.

Current student, if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to give them a shot.

When do you recommend we start looking for a place in the Downers Grove and surrounding area? I am hoping to move in mid July. I understand if you're too early they can't predict availability but I don't want to wait too late. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom relatively close to school.

When do you recommend we start looking for a place in the Downers Grove and surrounding area? I am hoping to move in mid July. I understand if you're too early they can't predict availability but I don't want to wait too late. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom relatively close to school.

Ummm if you do it earlier you can lock in winter rates at the complex if you put down a deposit so I'd say the sooner the better. Check out these complexes.

City View
Brook Hill
Versailles at the lake

And if you are ok driving a bit further to save some $.
Arboretum Villages in Lisle

Hey, I have been a silent reader for many years now, and I am also looking for a place nearby. However, I am also looking for roommates to decrease the cost. Hence, if anyone is thinking along that line and is also looking for an roommate, maybe we can talk and see if it can work.

Also, to current students, do you know if CCOM has like a forums where students can talk about things like this. I have tried to find it, but I can't. If there is can you please tell me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I have been a silent reader for many years now, and I am also looking for a place nearby. However, I am also looking for roommates to decrease the cost. Hence, if anyone is thinking along that line and is also looking for an roommate, maybe we can talk and see if it can work.

Also, to current students, do you know if CCOM has like a forums where students can talk about things like this. I have tried to find it, but I can't. If there is can you please tell me.

Lots of talk on the class Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/groups/242179272498879

Ya we stay in contact with the class via the fb page posting study guides for tests and what not. Other than that no.

I was reading one of the reviews for CCOM, and a reviewer posted that through bad luck in the lottery system for rotations, some people could end up having to do a rotation in places in Indiana, fairly far from Chicago. Anyone know if this means you have to drive all the way to the site for a month or if they offer some sort of housing?

I was reading one of the reviews for CCOM, and a reviewer posted that through bad luck in the lottery system for rotations, some people could end up having to do a rotation in places in Indiana, fairly far from Chicago. Anyone know if this means you have to drive all the way to the site for a month or if they offer some sort of housing?

I saw that too. I can't speak to what that site does specifically but almost always there is a student housing option for visiting students, usually a small aprt, possibly with a roommate. Prices range from free to a typical apartment price. I brought this question up on tours a few times at schools with state wide campus systems.

I saw that too. I can't speak to what that site does specifically but almost always there is a student housing option for visiting students, usually a small aprt, possibly with a roommate. Prices range from free to a typical apartment price. I brought this question up on tours a few times at schools with state wide campus systems.

Nice, hopefully there is some type of housing option. Supposedly the drive is about an hour and a half from chicago, which seems like a pain to do twice a day.

Are there any rules as to the number of rotations we can do out of state?

Sorry it was finals week so I was a bit busy. Yeah occasionally someone can get stuck with a rotation that is far away. Although usually the ones in Indiana are actually closer to chicago than say Joliet rotations if you are living in the city. Typically if you rank enough options for the lottery you won't get shafted. Also you can always switch classmates or switch to a different site if there is an opening. We also have the option to rotate in Michigan at places like Henry Ford as a part of our core rotations. Seeing as how we have a lot of students from Michigan some people take that option.

As far as housing goes, if the rotation is far like in Rockwood for OB/GYN then they provide housing.

Are there any rules as to the number of rotations we can do out of state?

Electives can be done anywhere. There isn't a limit to how many you can do out of state (that I know of) but there is a limit as to how many you can do in one specialty (12 weeks in addition to anything that you do as a core rotation).

Sorry it was finals week so I was a bit busy. Yeah occasionally someone can get stuck with a rotation that is far away. Although usually the ones in Indiana are actually closer to chicago than say Joliet rotations if you are living in the city. Typically if you rank enough options for the lottery you won't get shafted. Also you can always switch classmates or switch to a different site if there is an opening. We also have the option to rotate in Michigan at places like Henry Ford as a part of our core rotations. Seeing as how we have a lot of students from Michigan some people take that option.

As far as housing goes, if the rotation is far like in Rockwood for OB/GYN then they provide housing.

Thanks for this post. Very helpful.

Electives can be done anywhere. There isn't a limit to how many you can do out of state (that I know of) but there is a limit as to how many you can do in one specialty (12 weeks in addition to anything that you do as a core rotation).

Thanks for the great info!

Well I am getting closer to making my decision to attend CCOM. I have been balancing many schools and just got "decision deffered" from PCOM. I think this is all a sign to attend CCOM :). I guess the price of the school has been scaring me, but I have started to talk myself out of that line of thinking :). Just gotta stick with the "thrifty budget" lol

Congrats on acceptance to the best DO school around!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I also have some books for first year courses. Feel free to PM me.

Yay, congrats everyone!
Do you guys know if it is true that we won't get time to study for the boards after 2nd year?

Yay, congrats everyone!
Do you guys know if it is true that we won't get time to study for the boards after 2nd year?

Class of 2014 had it rough. CCOM moved up their academic calendar by a week so we match up with the other Chicago schools. Had to be done but damn we could have used a little lube with that. We had 12 days off between our last final and starting rotations, hence why I've been studying while on FM and taking the usmle this Thursday.

Normally we would have had an extra week which I think actually would be enough time with how light spring quarter is. So long story short as long as some weird thing like that doesn't happen you will have enough time if you actually study through spring quarter like you should, though it would be nice to have 8 weeks like some schools :rolleyes:

I will be taking the Master of Arts in Biomed at Midwestern (Sep 2014-May 2015) and wondering if any of you can recommend a place to live? Contacts of those interested in splitting the rooms? etc Any info is highly appreciated.
THANK YOU

I am starting a petition to get the Dean of CCOM (Karen Nichols) fired as the Dean because she has committed a lot of dishonest acts which include student academic fraud. Anyone interested to join, please respond. Thanks.

Ok you have to be trolling now. You claim to be a current (also claim to be a former) student at DMU... but you're trying to get the CCOM Dean fired and the MUCOM Dean fired. Someone has too much time on their hands.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile