You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
ACOM Class of 2025
Started by Calizboosted76
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
julius.Kyzar
New Member
Anyone knows if they provide free laptop or ipad during the 4 years, so i know hat to buy for Christmas??
Anyone knows if they provide free laptop or ipad during the 4 years, so i know hat to buy for Christmas??
Yes they provide both.
They let you choose from a macbook or windows for each I believe.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yep, either a mb air or a dell latitude, plus a ipad.Anyone knows if they provide free laptop or ipad during the 4 years, so i know hat to buy for Christmas??
co 24 here btw if yall want to ask any qs
Just got accepted today, I am super excited!
For me I interviewed on a Friday and was accepted Tuesday. So 4 days from when the interview took place.How long was the wait from interview to acceptance?
Thanks, I interviewed yesterday. Just a waiting game now.For me I interviewed on a Friday and was accepted Tuesday. So 4 days from when the interview took place.
I thought I'd start a thread for ACOM's 2025 class so we can get to know each other before July. Congrats and I'm excited to meet all of you! Post any of your questions and comments below. I will Also post the GROUPME link later this evening.
Current fourth year - congrats to everyone.
How have rotations been? Did you have to move from Dothan?Current fourth year - congrats to everyone.
D
deleted610572
How have rotations been? Did you have to move from Dothan?
Chances are you will have to move from Dothan. When the class had 150, there were only 10 Dothan slots. I doubt it went up much with the class increase
its 12 now... and most of the fellows want to be there so realistically only 8 open spots
Any insight on the quality of the rotations in leesburg ?its 12 now... and most of the fellows want to be there so realistically only 8 open spots
No insight on quality sorry, I just know lots of students are from Jax area so leesburg and Panhandle sites are pretty popular.Any insight on the quality of the rotations in leesburg ?
No insight on quality sorry, I just know lots of students are from Jax area so leesburg and Panhandle sites are pretty popular.
Can you speak on the way rotation sites are given out? Is it a lotto system? I know fellows get first choice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i believe it's similar to the match, everyone ranks their preferred sites and then they try to match everyone to their preferredCan you speak on the way rotation sites are given out? Is it a lotto system? I know fellows get first choice.
D
deleted610572
Can you speak on the way rotation sites are given out? Is it a lotto system? I know fellows get first choice.
It’s a match system. Everyone is required to rank programs then a computer sorts. They had told us there was no favoritism in the match. But who knows
I think 70% get top 5 site
Yes, the vast majority of students will move to a new core site. As the above poster mentioned, the dothan core site only takes about 10 or so students, if that. My core site experience has been nothing less than stellar, though.How have rotations been? Did you have to move from Dothan?
I was "that guy" who got his 13th choice - and if i would have known how great this site was, I would have ranked it #1.I think 70% get top 5 site
Everything happens for a reason! I’m glad it all worked out for you! I am hoping to end up at the leesburg or a site near JacksonvilleI was "that guy" who got his 13th choice - and if i would have known how great this site was, I would have ranked it #1.
Any current students without any dependants want to comment on the health insurance situation in Alabama?
Edit: Searched the website and found an old brochure, looks about the same price ($3,200) as catastrophic coverage through the marketplace, but they claim it's got 'gold' level coverage. You'll have to check to see what's covered. Anyone know of a way to pay less and still have the required health coverage?
Edit: Searched the website and found an old brochure, looks about the same price ($3,200) as catastrophic coverage through the marketplace, but they claim it's got 'gold' level coverage. You'll have to check to see what's covered. Anyone know of a way to pay less and still have the required health coverage?
Last edited:
Any idea what made you fall so far down the list?I was "that guy" who got his 13th choice - and if i would have known how great this site was, I would have ranked it #1.
No, unless you can go on your parents health insurance either as a dependent or expanded COBRA coverage.Any current students without any dependants want to comment on the health insurance situation in Alabama?
Edit: Searched the website and found an old brochure, looks about the same price ($3,200) as catastrophic coverage through the marketplace, but they claim it's got 'gold' level coverage. You'll have to check to see what's covered. Anyone know of a way to pay less and still have the required health coverage?
Alabama chose not to expand medicaid so you wouldn't meet the income to qualify. Another classmate mentioned that you might be able to game this with an IRA withdrawal but I'm not sure.
No, unless you can go on your parents health insurance either as a dependent or expanded COBRA coverage.
Alabama chose not to expand medicaid so you wouldn't meet the income to qualify. Another classmate mentioned that you might be able to game this with an IRA withdrawal but I'm not sure.
Oh dang, so we can’t use Medicaid? I’m coming from Florida and wished there was a way to stay a Florida resident so we kept all of our governmental benefits while I am in school.
If you have dependants, you should meet the same requirements in Alabama as you do in Florida to get Medicaid and/or other benefits.Oh dang, so we can’t use Medicaid? I’m coming from Florida and wished there was a way to stay a Florida resident so we kept all of our governmental benefits while I am in school.
But low income alone won't qualify you for Medicaid like it does in 38 other US states if you're a single person without kids like me.
You can double check here: Get 2021 health coverage. Health Insurance Marketplace®
yeah, I have the school insurance and will say it's pretty decent, it's the same plan the hospital employees have. You can look for market plans but I doubt they will cover as much but they will meet the demands for the first two years.
My luck, most likely.Any idea what made you fall so far down the list?
(Not sure 🙂 )
Hello all! What are the cheapest (and safest) housing options in Dothan that are reasonably close to campus (20 min commute max)? I was recently accepted, but since I am planning to take out loans, I want to minimize my out-of-pocket rental expenses. Is anyone comfortable with space-sharing? I just need a bed and bath to myself, and I can't find too many options that include W/D in-unit, which is an absolute must for me. Thank you in advance!
Fieldcrest is $700 for a 1 bed 1 bath. It's ~$500 if you share a 2 bed and $300 if you share a 3 bed. About 10-15 mins from school.Hello all! What are the cheapest (and safest) housing options in Dothan that are reasonably close to campus (20 min commute max)? I was recently accepted, but since I am planning to take out loans, I want to minimize my out-of-pocket rental expenses. Is anyone comfortable with space-sharing? I just need a bed and bath to myself, and I can't find too many options that include W/D in-unit, which is an absolute must for me. Thank you in advance!
I have a friend staying at alexander. It's $500 for a 2 bed and 5 mins from school.
Alabaster is $800 for a 2 bed.
A lot of people stay at magnolia but it's 20-30 mins from school depending on traffic. It's also ~$1k for a 1 bed.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
We got
Join the groupme. There was an individual that is looking for a roommate for a three bedroom house that's in hidden east which is right next to the school.
Hello all! What are the cheapest (and safest) housing options in Dothan that are reasonably close to campus (20 min commute max)? I was recently accepted, but since I am planning to take out loans, I want to minimize my out-of-pocket rental expenses. Is anyone comfortable with space-sharing? I just need a bed and bath to myself, and I can't find too many options that include W/D in-unit, which is an absolute must for me. Thank you in advance!
Join the groupme. There was an individual that is looking for a roommate for a three bedroom house that's in hidden east which is right next to the school.
for me, it took a couple of monthsHow long was the wait from interview to acceptance?
Last edited:
are there on-campus housing options?
yes, summerfield square. they tend to fill up pretty quickly though, idk if they have rooms available for next yearare there on-campus housing options?
I've heard that the patient population is mostly geriatric. Someone I spoke to at the site did say that they have learned a lot this way because a lot of geriatric patients tend to have multiple co- morbidities, exposing you to a lot of learning opportunities. I think a lot of people tend to pick that site out of personal geographic ties though. It's becoming a hard site to secure because they are only allowing 2-3 students per class due to the merge with UF health systems and having UF students also rotate through there.Any insight on the quality of the rotations in leesburg ?
The last I heard from a dean is they might not renew ACOMS contract because of UF, but they are still in talks so no definitive answers yet.I've heard that the patient population is mostly geriatric. Someone I spoke to at the site did say that they have learned a lot this way because a lot of geriatric patients tend to have multiple co- morbidities, exposing you to a lot of learning opportunities. I think a lot of people tend to pick that site out of personal geographic ties though. It's becoming a hard site to secure because they are only allowing 2-3 students per class due to the merge with UF health systems and having UF students also rotate through there.
Edit: forgot the word "not"
Last edited:
Hello! I'm having issues paying my deposit online. Anyone else in the same boat?
student439
New Member
If I'm driving a car down from another state, do I need to change my license/registration to Alabama? Or can I still technically use my parents home address as my permanent address?
You can use your old home address unless you're from California.If I'm driving a car down from another state, do I need to change my license/registration to Alabama? Or can I still technically use my parents home address as my permanent address?
student439
New Member
Perfect, thank you!You can use your old home address unless you're from California.
Hey everyone, just got accepted on 4/15 after interviewing on 4/9! Excited to meet my future colleagues!
Anyone have the GroupMe link?
Anyone have the GroupMe link?
What is the groupme link?We got
Join the groupme. There was an individual that is looking for a roommate for a three bedroom house that's in hidden east which is right next to the school.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The link that allows you to join the accepted student group me.What is the groupme link?
Lol I know that. I’m wondering where the link is so I can join.The link that allows you to join the accepted student group me.
Scroll through a couple pages here or use the search function. I posted the link a few times.Lol I know that. I’m wondering where the link is so I can join.
Dang man, my school gave us jack squat.yep, either a mb air or a dell latitude, plus a ipad.
co 24 here btw if yall want to ask any qs
Lol I know that. I’m wondering where the link is so I can join.
The link was a few pages back but since I have nothing better to do at the moment, I did the scrolling for you.
You're invited to my new group 'ACOM class of 2025👨⚕️👩⚕️' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe
This was on the other acom forum. Im at work again and had nothing else to do.