**** The Official ECU Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread ****

ToothfairyNC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we have any ECU hopeful out there? What do you guys think about the new dental building if you have already interviewed at the school? My friends had their interview there and I've heard many great things about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Was there not an ECU thread? Interesting its been this long without one being created. But yes, I interviewed there earlier in the cycle. The building itself is really impressive, I believe it was just dedicated a few weeks ago. At the interview we weren't allowed in most of the building due to classes and construction, but the style of the building was really cool. I also like that the health sciences campus is separate from the undergrad campus.
That being said, I wasn't overly impressed with the interview process. Everyone was nice and I didn't feel stressed at any point, but the interviewers asked questions from a sheet that they made beforehand. I was asked the exact same set of questions three times in a row! Also, I'm not a huge fan of PBL so I hope they don't adopt that.
Don't get me wrong, I would be honored to be accepted there. I just honestly think the process could be improved.

What type of questions were asked at the ECU interview? What was the schedule of the day of your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Questions were pretty typical -- why dentistry, why ECU, why you. Check interview feedback for more detail, but I didn't get any that surprised me or caught me off guard. They know your app REALLY well and interviews are open file, so all of my interviewers spent a lot of the interview asking me specific questions about my experiences. That really impressed me.

You start off with a little Q&A, introductions, etc. Then you're put into 2 groups and one group does the group learning activity while the other interviews, then they switch. Everyone in my group thought the group learning activity was really fun and interesting, so don't stress about it. Then you eat lunch with some dental students. After that's the financial aid presentation and the tour. You'll be in the new building all day and the facilities are really incredible. When I was there we were able to tour all of the clinics and labs and poke around a little bit, which was great.

The whole day was really laid back. They definitely want you to relax so they can see who you really are and what you're really like. Be yourself! As Dr. Wilson will tell you, they have good BS detectors.

Good luck!

Just interviewed at ECU, had a great experience! I was asked different questions in all 3 interviews. Like someone stated above- they really read and knew all of your application and questioned you on it. It was very laid back and a really great atmosphere. Overall great experience and LOVE this school!

Just interviewed at ECU, had a great experience! I was asked different questions in all 3 interviews. Like someone stated above- they really read and knew all of your application and questioned you on it. It was very laid back and a really great atmosphere. Overall great experience and LOVE this school!

I loved it too! Was your interview on the first?

I was the short blond girl with glasses! haha. so cool! Good luck to you!!!! Did you get a good feeling from it?

Did anyone interview there and have their AADSAS recently changed back to "Received/Under Review"?

What kinds of things did yall do for the group learning activity on your interview day?

We were given a scenario related to practicing dentistry, then required to research and write a short report about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when ECU will accept OOS. I know this year they won't. Will they next cycle?

does anyone know when ECU will accept OOS. I know this year they won't. Will they next cycle?

I honestly don't think they ever will, at least in the foreseeable future. Their med school has been open for quite some time and only accepts in-state students.

I honestly don't think they ever will, at least in the foreseeable future. Their med school has been open for quite some time and only accepts in-state students.

I agree with this. This school was built and (heavily) funded entirely to increase the population of dentists practicing in NC.

My status changed from Interview to "Application Received/ Waiting for Additional Information". I thought this was strange so I emailed them to see if I was missing anything and they said no- its just a generic status. Did anyone else get this one or just the "Received/ Under Review"?

My status changed from Interview to "Application Received/ Waiting for Additional Information". I thought this was strange so I emailed them to see if I was missing anything and they said no- its just a generic status. Did anyone else get this one or just the "Received/ Under Review"?

Yeah, I realized today that my status is different than yours. Mine just says Under Review!

Hm I wonder why the difference in status' if they are generic?

It does seem kind of strange, but I wouldn't read too much into it.

FWIW, mine recently changed back to "Received/Under Review." I interviewed in October.

Oh well we will see-- thanks for the input and Good Luck to you :)

Does anyone know if they're calling people on the 1st or if they'll just wait till the 3rd and call/email? Good luck, everybody!

I asked during my interview and they told me that they'll be waiting till the third to call back, which is the same as most (if not all) of the dental schools. Fingers crossed, I really love ECU!

I talked to a few people that were accepted last year that said they got an email at midnight, then a phone call later in the day. Think they will do that this year?

That would be nice! Not sure because it would be midnight on a Sunday. Who knows though.

Hopefully it's an automated reply. Few more days :)

just fyi: my acceptance email for ecu didn't come through until 12:45am last year. I'm really not sure if it's automated or if they send them out themselves, and I'm not sure if they'll keep up this same practice of notifying applicants or not. But it was a nice touch last year, and I wouldn't put it past them to keep it up.

UNC does phone calls the morning of, mine was around 815am or so.

Best of luck to you all, and don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions about the NC schools (though I may not be much help re: ECU, I'm happy to try!)

Wow thanks for the input! Def helpful if there's not email at 12:01 :)

I would kill for a midnight email! At least then I could deal with my job in the morning without being attached to my phone... the anticipation's killing me! ><

Me too!!! What does everyone's AADSAS status say? Mine says "rec/ under review"

Me too!!! What does everyone's AADSAS status say? Mine says "rec/ under review"

Mine says "Please check back on December 3 for more information regarding your decision status with this school".

Hmm I hope mines not an early rejection :( I wonder what people's translated to last year.

My mobile portal update has changed if anyone is interested in finding out, you can go check now!!!!

Last edited:
What did it change to? Has anyone else's changed?

It changed to "Offer Made". I have heard of at least 1 more ECU applicant with "Offer Made."

Yeah did everyone who had an offer have the "check back dec.3rd" status before? Mine didn't change, still under review

Yeah did everyone who had an offer have the "check back dec.3rd" status before? Mine didn't change, still under review

I am desperately awaiting this answer, b/c mine didn't change either...

When I checked yesterday on my pc, mine said "Please check back on December 3 for more information regarding your decision status with this school"

When I checked today using the mobile portal, mine said "offer made"

Hope that clears it up! :)

Goodluck everyone! When I interviewed at ECU they said everyone will hear back something either an acceptance or a continuing review but not a rejection.

Also, I can confirm that another person who interviewed with me had the two exact statuses as me. So they got in as well.

Last edited:
So there are like 2-3 that saw offers or had the "check back"... hope there are more to update on Monday! And the "under review" will go away!

This is the worst >< I hate this waiting game. Especially with all of these vague messages.

Did your status change to "check back"? Or still "under review"?

Just curious but does anyone know how many spots they are going to try and fill tomorrow for this class? My AADSAS still says "Under Review" so I'm not feeling optimistic about tomorrow. Hopefully I'm wrong though....

Mine was changed to the check back, but it hasn't changed since. And as far as the acceptances I would imagine that they'll only fill about 30-35 of their slots, considering they still have interviews to complete.

I'm pretty sure the "check back"= offer... congrats!! I'm hoping mine will somehow change to "check back" :/

Since I still don't have a "check back" status, does anyone know from last year when the second round of offers was made?

Well I'm definitely burning the midnight oil tonight. And I guess the second offers will be given out towards January