32 Years old and feeling OLD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEME-ONC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm 32 years old and feeling a little old around some of my peers that are in med school with me. Im finishing my first year and I feel like it will be forever until residency.

Anyone else out there in the same boat. I just feel like I'm the only one in my class thats old.

Any suggestions at a better way of looking at it??

Hemeonc

Members don't see this ad.

You'll soon be able to get discounts at movies?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Wait until you get into the clinical years. People will start referring to 50-year-olds as "young patients". I've even heard attendings talk about 70-year-olds as "not that old". (I had to learn to control my laughter because I found out they were serious.) :smuggrin:

32 is nothing. we have lots of people in my class who are around your age and doctors practice medicine well past retirement age. also when you get to the wards your attendings will probably treat you better than the kids.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a nearly 35-year-old MSIII so I understand where you're coming from. I felt it hard to feel like I fit in during my first two years, when most of my classmates seemed to be reliving college. But now that I'm doing clinical work we're all scattered into different working environments and my peer group now is my residents, who, though still younger than me for the most part, appreciate my sense of responsibility. And when one resident found out my age, he commented "oh, that's why you seem to relate so well to patients. You don't seem scared of them". Also, I have less trouble focusing on my work than the youngsters because I already had my years of slothdom in my twenties and I know for sure that medicine is what I want to do (not something my parents pressured me into or just because I had to find a career after college). Of course, age is a very individual thing --some thirtysomethings act like twentysomethings and vice versa. But you may find age to be helpful on the wards, at least if it comes with added maturity.

I think in med school, it sucks...but once residency starts, it's pretty good to be a little older. First of all, patients will respect you...they think residents are snot-nosed kids, because they look so young. Another thing is that you're already used to living an "adult" life, with more responsibility and a different pace, whereas the younger residents will be dealing with the shock and depression that they can no longer spend the day shopping or hanging out at the mall. Additionally, when you go to residency you will be with a different group of people than the ones in your school, and there will likely be a number of residents that are older; plus there will be residents who are your seniors who will be older, and you'll relate to them. I wouldn't worry too much, just hang in there.

DR said:
First of all, patients will respect you...they think residents are snot-nosed kids, because they look so young.

This statement is true, but irritating (DR is NOT irritating, just the fact that the statement is true is irritating; had to clarify). What, just because someone is younger than some octogenarian, that negates the fact that they're working hard to make them well? I would shake them really hard, but I'd give them a subdural just by touching them. ;)

Hahaha...I know how you feel, Kinetic. How friggin' old do they want us to be?!

I'll be 26 in June but could likely pass as a high school student. Third year is coming up so I guess I'll soon see how much respect (or lack thereof) I'll receive from patients. :p :scared:

Started medical school when I was 39. There was half-a-dozen of us old folks >32 that year (Texas medical school). One gal older than myself in the previous year, and 2 guys older the following year. Didn't seem to be a big deal at all. Time to and through clinicals was surprisingly fast, and you may even find that upper-levels will grant you a bit more respect for your previous life experience and old age. Study hard and don't worry about it. ;)

You'll be able to apply for your medical license and your AARP card at roughly the same time ;)

Yeah, what if he gets pimped during rounds? He could always feign senile dementia. :scared: "Where am I? Who are you?! AIIIIIEEEEE!" (Bowel movement in pants ensues.)

UTSouthwestern said:
None of you old timers can beat the 74 year old MS IV here at Southwestern. You guys are hatchlings compared to him.
I heard a rumor about him. I thought that it was just a rumor. I assume that there's some reason that they are training him for reasons other then to actually practice any medicine.

Kalel said:
I assume that there's some reason that they are training him for reasons other then to actually practice any medicine.

Yes, he will become bionically enhanced in order to fight crime.

Hey, HEME-ONC, are these childish replies making you feel older or younger? :D

Dear Heme-Onc,

You look young from where I am! I will turn 47 a week before I graduate this month. I always say that the good thing about going to medical school late is that time goes faster as we get older, so it doesn't take as long. ;) Seriously, I have found that patients and preceptors generally enjoyed having an older student, and I figure that when I finish residency, my patients will probably assume that I have been practicing longer than I really have. Don't worry - it really goes fast. I can't believe I'll be a dactor in less than two weeks!

Maire