How do I write X letter? LOI, update, thank you, withdrawal, correction, status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After seeing endless questions regarding how to go about writing the various letters germane to the medical (and other professional) school application process, I decided to compile some templates for everyone to use. I'll be sending it to Tots in the hope he can sticky this to the application sticky. As should be tacit, please use these as guides to write your own, original letters; do not plagiarize. Feel free to PM me with specific questions or to have me add an additional template to the original post. Good luck to all applying!

--------------------------------------------------
Withdrawal:

Guero
AMCAS ID# 00000001
69 Fun Ave
Cityville, CA 90001

January 3, 2013

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017
Tipsyville Vegas, NV 85724​

To Whom It May Concern:

I am reluctantly writing to officially withdraw my [acceptance or] position from the alternate list with the hopes that it might allow another deserving applicant to possibly attend your school. Due to X, I must accept one of the my other offers. I still believe that Y would have been the best match for me and hope to interview with Y for residency in the future.

Many thanks,

Your Dearest Guero
Update Letter 1:

Guero
AMCAS ID# 00000001
69 Fun Ave
Cityville, CA 90001

January 3, 2013

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017
Tipsyville Vegas, NV 85724

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing to inform the admissions committee that I have received notice that my recent primary-author project was accepted for publication in Nature as of October 15th, 2012:

Guero GG & Crick F. (In press.). DNA rocks your socks off: Recombinance of pedal sliperiness.

I hope that this update will assist the committee's decision process and look forward to receiving notice when my review is complete.

Sincerely,

Your Dearest Guero
---------------------------
Update Letter + LOI:

Guero
AMCAS ID# 00000001
69 Fun Ave
Cityville, CA 90001

January 3, 2013

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017

To Whom It May Concern,

I recently received grades from my final semester: X in my Y and Z courses. In addition to this update, I would like to take one last opportunity to briefly reiterate that X remains my top choice. After X interviews and X acceptances, I now firmly believe that no other school will better educationally and professionally prepare me for residency by providing me with the necessary exposure to choose between a career in either rural or inner city medicine in the West. I only hope that the committee sees in me what I see in this school and its unique opportunities. Regardless of the outcome, I would like to thank everyone involved in this grueling and emotional process for their time and effort in evaluating the thousands of well qualified students vying for admission.

Sincerely,

Your Dearest Guero
Oops, I screwed something up in my app:

Guero
AMCAS ID# 00000001
69 Fun Ave
Cityville, CA 90001

January 3, 2013

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017

To Whom It May Concern:

I noticed an overwrite in one of my primary AMCAS activities today. The description body of the experience entitled "I'm a doofus" was erroneously overwritten with something and should instead read as follows:

"Blah blah, original text."

I apologize for any inconvenience and hope that the committee will accept this replacement when reviewing my primary application.

Sincerely,

Your Dearest Guero
Thank you note templates:
-----------------
Med Student,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to interview me. I very much appreciated your candid feedback about X's hospital and enjoyed our conversations on health policy. I wish you the best of luck as you continue interviewing for residency and hope you match to that super special program you love.

Sincerely,
-----------------
Faculty,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your very busy schedule to interview me. I very much enjoyed hearing your perspective on X, which reified for me that X leads to Y. Z is definitely the best fit for me. I hope to see you next semester as an incoming MS1.

Sincerely,
-----------------
Admissions,

I wanted to extend my sincerest thanks to the admissions department for such a pleasant and informative interview experience. I enjoyed touring and learning about the school, as well as getting to know my fellow applicants. I wish you all happy holidays and hope to see you soon as an incoming MS1.

Sincerely,
Status Inquiries

The early version:

Guero
AMCAS ID# 00000001
69 Fun Ave
Cityville, CA 90001

September 20, 2012

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017
Mr./Dr. Gatekeeper,

I would like to check on the status of my application, which was received by X on 7/20/12. I'm very excited about the opportunity to interview with and hopefully attend X College of Medicine and eagerly await word from the committee regarding my interview status. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Guero Dearest
-----------------
It's almost over version:
Guero
AMCAS ID# 00000001
69 Fun Ave
Cityville, CA 90001

March 3, 2013

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017

To Whom It May Concern,

I have been complete since for/ever/ago12 {and have sent in multiple updates}. I am very eager to interview with X University School of Medicine and would like to check the status of my application as the interview season nears its end. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you once again for your patience and dedication during this hectic and emotional process.

Sincerely,

Switching from MSTP (MD/PhD) or MD/MPH to MD [doesn't that blow?]:​

Guero
AMCAS ID# 00000001
69 Fun Ave
Cityville, CA 90001

January 3, 2013

X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017
Dr. So and So,

I would like to officially transfer my application from the MD/PhD {MD/MPH} program to the regular MD program at the X School of Medicine. I am very excited about the prospect to attend the X and eagerly await the secondary application.

Sincerely,

Your Dearest Guero

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44 users
can an update letter be an email?? this looks like snail mail letter etiquette (with the address and stuff) that's why i'm wondering. do business letters via email still need that? sorry if this is dumb. i haven't heard anything in months from a couple (15) schools and I'd like to tell them about a recent internship that I completed and new volunteer positiion I just began that's not on my amcas. (and just remind them that i exist) (please help)

can an update letter be an email?? this looks like snail mail letter etiquette (with the address and stuff) that's why i'm wondering. do business letters via email still need that? sorry if this is dumb. i haven't heard anything in months from a couple (15) schools and I'd like to tell them about a recent internship that I completed and new volunteer positiion I just began that's not on my amcas. (and just remind them that i exist) (please help)
Yes, they can be sent via email. I always prepared mine to reflect the same etiquette, though, to convey the utmost professionalism and to demonstrate that I was very serious about their school. While I'm sure there are schools out there that could care less about the etiquette as opposed to the meat of the msg, I figured "Why risk it?" So I'd recommend shooting them an email in the same business format unless they specifically state that update letters must be sent via snail mail. Out of like 20 schools, I only had two or so that had such a requirement.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an update I'm uploading via portal, should I do all the

"X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017

To Whom It May Concern"

or just make it two paragraphs starting with "I would like to inform the admissions committee"

I have an update I'm uploading via portal, should I do all the

"X College of Medicine
420 Smoke Avenue
PO Box 245017

To Whom It May Concern"

or just make it two paragraphs starting with "I would like to inform the admissions committee"
No, you do not need the address if it is through an email. Potentially indicate the school above to whom it may concern if you see so fit, however it is unnecessary.

Reactions: 1 users
is it okay to send an update before secondaries are released? some of my schools pre-screen and i recently accepted an internship with a large non-profit company that supports/assists people with developmental disabilities in an urban area. when I submitted my primary, i didn't have the job yet so it doesn't appear anywhere on my AMCAS

is it okay to send an update before secondaries are released? some of my schools pre-screen and i recently accepted an internship with a large non-profit company that supports/assists people with developmental disabilities in an urban area. when I submitted my primary, i didn't have the job yet so it doesn't appear anywhere on my AMCAS
You can't really update your app in this way at this point. They will read your primary as submitted, and changes to the primary are not allowed except for things like email address or mailing address.
However, keep a short list of things that have happened/changed since you submitted your primary and :
A. See if there's a question in the secondary app that lets you mention it (probably not...)
B. It gives you something to talk about at your interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
So for portal updates, should we include a contact email and number hours as we did for the primary application? Or for portal updates should we just write the update and briefly explain it?

Please don’t write “to whom it may concern.” It is not formal or professional. “Dear admissions committee,” or “dear sir or madam” if you truly don’t know whom you’re writing to.

Also do not write “your dearest” at the end. That’s reserved for family or friends. Sincerely” or “respectfully,” that is the formal way.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it okay to send an update letter and include abstracts to conferences that you aren't presenting at but that you helped with and your name is on the abstract?

Just to be clear, would it be better to send an update letter as the body of an email beginning with “Dear so-and-so” or should I include a real business letter format update letter as a pdf attachment?

Just to be clear, would it be better to send an update letter as the body of an email beginning with “Dear so-and-so” or should I include a real business letter format update letter as a pdf attachment?
Using the same format in the body of the email (not as an attached document) will be the easiest for the recipient to read. While you do not need to include the mailing address of the program in your heading if you send it by email, I think it is always a good idea, as @Guero has demonstrated, to include YOUR complete information including your application ID number in the heading and probably in the subject line of the email. Email subject line example "Research publication update, forever_young14 AMCAS ID #######"

Be sure to keep your information positive and concise - a few lines to half a page maximum is good!

Reactions: 1 user