Doing well with Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCATMountain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Has anyone here done well (30+ being the definition) on the MCAT without having all the prereq's completed? If so, how much time did you spend on content review vs. full lengths? Also, what were your study methods?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Title should be WITHOUT prereqs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Has anyone here done well (30+ being the definition) on the MCAT without having all the prereq's completed? If so, how much time did you spend on content review vs. full lengths? Also, what were your study methods?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Title should be WITHOUT prereqs.

Really depends on what prereqs you're talking about.

You can probably get away with not doing Physics 2 and just learning those concepts yourself (some of Physics 2 isn't going to be on the MCAT, at least in most schools).

If you are REALLY in a hole, I can see taking the MCAT before Orgo 2 also maybe working out.. but not a good idea at all considering you're losing alot of the analytical skills you develop in that class as well as the content.

I would not recommend taking the MCAT without any of the other pre-reqs... just too many points to be left on the board that way.

If you aren't sure what concepts that are on the MCAT you haven't been exposed to, take a look at the official AAMC topic list. I would be wary of taking the MCAT if you have no clue what a bunch of topics on that list are.

You can probably get away with not doing Physics 2 and just learning those concepts yourself (some of Physics 2 isn't going to be on the MCAT, at least in most schools).

If you are REALLY in a hole, I can see taking the MCAT before Orgo 2 also maybe working out.. but not a good idea at all considering you're losing alot of the analytical skills you develop in that class as well as the content.

I would not recommend taking the MCAT without any of the other pre-reqs... just too many points to be left on the board that way.

If you aren't sure what concepts that are on the MCAT you haven't been exposed to, take a look at the official AAMC topic list. I would be wary of taking the MCAT if you have no clue what a bunch of topics on that list are.

I disagree, I think that Orgo 2 is largely unnecessary if you had a solid Orgo 1 class, but physics 2 is very important.

There are too many independent topics covered in physics 2 that you can potentially get a whole passage on on the MCAT.

Thanks for the reply. Although you may have a valid point, the topic of the thread was not to discuss whether it's wise to have the prereqs, but to see if anyone's done well without the prereqs. Not to be rude here, just don't want the thread sidetracked as this is a loaded topic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply. Although you may have a valid point, the topic of the thread was not to discuss whether it's wise to have the prereqs, but to see if anyone's done well without the prereqs. Not to be rude here, just don't want the thread sidetracked as this is a loaded topic.

sidetracked? :laugh:

Sorry for trying to give you advice on whether one can do well without the pre-reqs. I mean, that's kind of exactly what you're asking about but I guess you're too good for sound advice. I'm sure a few people have, does that mean its a good idea?

SN12357, it most definitely has to do with how the classes are structured in your school because it varies greatly. If things like NMR/enols/adol are taught in Orgo 2, that's some very high yield stuff. Most circuitry and magnetism are taught in Physics 2 and while some of it is very conceptually difficult, I think there are enough tricks to get you by at the MCAT level.

Ideally, you'd take the MCAT with all your pre-reqs but those 2 are the ONLY ones I can even consider skipping. From a pure numbers game, skipping Orgo 2 is probably safer (less Orgo on the MCAT in general) but as for teaching yourself the topics you didn't cover.. I think Physics 2 is easier.

I haven't taken orgo 2 and I'll be taking the MCAT

It's a little bit annoying because a lot of it is guesswork that you have to do based on your other knowledge

I've been trying to fit in the gaps

sidetracked? :laugh:

Sorry for trying to give you advice on whether one can do well without the pre-reqs. I mean, that's kind of exactly what you're asking about but I guess you're too good for sound advice. I'm sure a few people have, does that mean its a good idea?

No need to get butthurt. I asked a simple direct question: Whether anyone has done well without prereqs. You tried to give me advice on something I didn't ask; namely, that it's not wise to not have the prereqs. Therefore, you were sidetracking the thread towards your own idea of what the thread's purpose was. Kindly, again, avoid sidetracking.

No need to get butthurt. I asked a simple direct question: Whether anyone has done well without prereqs. You tried to give me advice on something I didn't ask; namely, that it's not wise to not have the prereqs. Therefore, you were sidetracking the thread towards your own idea of what the thread's purpose was. Kindly, again, avoid sidetracking.

Like I said, sorry for trying to give you advice. Sorry for making you go out of your way and spend some time reading my attempt at helping you out. I apologize for that inconvenience and will make sure not to help you in the future.

If you really can't figure out how those two things are pretty damn related.. good luck on the MCAT :laugh:

Hint: To do well on the MCAT, I highly suggest having all pre-reqs completed. If necessary, I can see Physics 2 or Orgo 2 topics being learned independently.

Like I said, sorry for trying to give you advice. Sorry for making you go out of your way and spend some time reading my attempt at helping you out. I apologize for that inconvenience and will make sure not to help you in the future.

If you really can't figure out how those two things are pretty damn related.. good luck on the MCAT :laugh:

Hint: To do well on the MCAT, I highly suggest having all pre-reqs completed. If necessary, I can see Physics 2 or Orgo 2 topics being learned independently.

Do you feel better now that you've posted your redundant thoughts.........yet again? If not, please find another outlet, as this banter is doing exactly what I suggested you not do.

This is my final comment on this matter. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Do you feel better now that you've posted your redundant thoughts.........yet again? If not, please find another outlet, as this banter is doing exactly what I suggested you not do.

This is my final comment on this matter. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

:laugh:

Just would like to not see someone struggle with the MCAT because they took it without the pre-reqs. Again, my apologies for looking out for you. I'm pretty amazed how someone can act like you have to someone offering advice.

Anyways, no, I had not taken the MCAT without all my pre-requisities. But I did take the MCAT and could see how important various pre-reqs. I have also worked with several students who have not had certain pre-reqs completed and helped them overcome that obstacle - some successfully and others unsuccessfully. But I know absolutely nothing about this, as you can see.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/

Take a look at those topic lists. Circle things you don't know and evaluate whether you think its a wise decision. Just because another student did well without a pre-req, doesn't mean you'll do well and vice versa. Additionally, considering every single school is different.. you may be in a better/worse boat depending on how your pre-reqs are structured. I'd suggest finding a syllabus from the pre-reqs you will be missing and comparing those topics against the topic list to see what you will have to teach yourself.

Then you can come back here, tell us what topics you will be missing and ask whether people think they are possible to teach yourself.

THAT would be approaching this decision wisely. Just my (obviously very unwelcome) 2 cents. Ignore it if you wish but stop acting like anyone who isn't explicitly catering to your eery need isn't trying to help you out. Only reason I even posted in this thread was to lend advice.

If you want, I can sign up a new account.. state I took the MCAT without the pre-reqs and post the same exact advice since seemingly that is the only way the advice is valid.

:laugh:

Just would like to not see someone struggle with the MCAT because they took it without the pre-reqs. Again, my apologies for looking out for you. I'm pretty amazed how someone can act like you have to someone offering advice.

Anyways, no, I had not taken the MCAT without all my pre-requisities. But I did take the MCAT and could see how important various pre-reqs. I have also worked with several students who have not had certain pre-reqs completed and helped them overcome that obstacle - some successfully and others unsuccessfully. But I know absolutely nothing about this, as you can see.

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/preparing/

Take a look at those topic lists. Circle things you don't know and evaluate whether you think its a wise decision. Just because another student did well without a pre-req, doesn't mean you'll do well and vice versa. Additionally, considering every single school is different.. you may be in a better/worse boat depending on how your pre-reqs are structured. I'd suggest finding a syllabus from the pre-reqs you will be missing and comparing those topics against the topic list to see what you will have to teach yourself.

Then you can come back here, tell us what topics you will be missing and ask whether people think they are possible to teach yourself.

THAT would be approaching this decision wisely. Just my (obviously very unwelcome) 2 cents. Ignore it if you wish but stop acting like anyone who isn't explicitly catering to your eery need isn't trying to help you out. Only reason I even posted in this thread was to lend advice.

If you want, I can sign up a new account.. state I took the MCAT without the pre-reqs and post the same exact advice since seemingly that is the only way the advice is valid.

I pity you.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey dude (jebstein30),
I really like your approach answering questions; that shows a lot of maturity and humility. I will be taking the MCAT in June 2014, and I really don't know how and where to start.
There a tones of prep books, and so many ideas/thoughts. May you please give me your i sights?
By the way I will take Orgo 1, micro next spring.

Thanks