first MCAT diagnostic: 19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

juniper456

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my first diagnostic this past weekend and scored 19 (Princeton Review practice exam). Any thoughts? Am I doomed?

bio: 6 physical: 6 verbal: 7

Members don't see this ad.

juniper456 said:
I took my first diagnostic this past weekend and scored 19 (Princeton Review practice exam). Any thoughts? Am I doomed?

I'm gonna move this to the MCAT forum. Lotsa help is available there.

Good luck.

juniper456 said:

please don't worry about it. i got a 22 on my first TPR diag and ended up with a 35. their diags don't really "diagnose" anything except that if the real MCAT was written by TPR, nobody would go to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a Bio 10 PS 6 VR 4 on the first diagnostic. Don't sweat it I ended with a +30 score, just make sure to study a lot. Do lots of the verbal practice tests.

juniper456 said:

don't worry AT ALL... I got virtually the same score on my diagnostic (flip your verbal and bio scores and you get mine ;) ) and ended up w/ a 33 on the real thing...

Thats a great score for starting out. I pulled a 5 PS, 7 BS, and 7 VR on my first Kaplan diagnostic. I too ended up with a strong score: 12 PS, 11 BS, and 11 VR (34) on the read MCAT. Start studying now and I'm sure you'll land in the 30's

That score only shows that you are not currently ready to take the MCAT. Start hitting the books in January, and you should do fine.

damm ,
i am nervous . I have my diagnostic test on sat (kaplan). If I get a weak score , do they group with me with the rest of the "spaz's" . I never taken a test prep course before ...

Definitely don't worry. Everyone improves on their TPR diagnostic score. I got the EXACT same score as you on my diagnostic and improved to a 22 on the real thing. I improved my bio and verbal, so don't worry, it can be done! I think most people do poorly on the diagnostic because it is super hard, but if you work hard you can improve like me.

the first time i took it i got a 15 on the diag and 26 on the real thing.
if you can improve 11 points from your score in what, 5 months? you are golden.

don't sweat it.

Students in our courses (Kaplan) generally start in that range (high teens to low twenties) so I wouldn't be concerned about that. What ultimately matters is how you do on the real MCAT, not how you do on your practice tests, right? Use the test as a jumping point to let you know what your weakest areas are, and start studying them. Good luck.

No sweat man, I got like a 20 on my first thing and I ended up with a 30. So just study hard.

Members don't see this ad :)
They make the diagnostic tests harder (kaplan) so that your score will likely improve and so it is harder to get you money back.

GOBUCKY!

GOBUCKY! said:
They make the diagnostic tests harder (kaplan) so that your score will likely improve and so it is harder to get you money back.

GOBUCKY!
I took the Kaplan diagnostic, I got 18. The Verbal kicked my ass with a 4. Haaaah

I took TPR this past summer and my first diag was not encouraging. I think I had a 20 or something like that but they are designed to be more difficult and get easier. The last three diags are 5R, 6R, and 7R from AMCAS and those are much more realistic to what you will score. I was scoring 30-31 on those and got 33 on the real thing. If you are taking the course do all your homework and you will definately see a drastic improvement.

willthatsall said:
Definitely don't worry. Everyone improves on their TPR diagnostic score. I got the EXACT same score as you on my diagnostic and improved to a 22 on the real thing. I improved my bio and verbal, so don't worry, it can be done! I think most people do poorly on the diagnostic because it is super hard, but if you work hard you can improve like me.

Your sarcasstic, sometimes rude comments are really becoming annoying. Please don't lie on these boards....you got a 39 this August as you have posted many times. Try to be sensitive to others who did not do as well as you.

Friendly said:
Your sarcasstic, sometimes rude comments are really becoming annoying. Please don't lie on these boards....you got a 39 this August as you have posted many times. Try to be sensitive to others who did not do as well as you.

i agree with friendly.

I got a 17 on my first diag. Got a 31 on the real deal but I busted my butt studying at least 6 hours everyday not including class. By the way historically i have sucked the big one on standardized exams so as long as you are willing to work you will be fine.

Tooth

Friendly said:
joke

your head

TheProwler said:
NOT funny, and many people agree. Willthatsall also recently posted a racist comment referring to URM admission to medical school on another thread. I cannot believe the moderators let him away with that.

juniper456 said:

seriously don't worry. my first diagnostic was also a 19 and i ended up witha 35.

edit: i did study my ass off for 3 months.

Friendly said:
NOT funny, and many people agree. Willthatsall also recently posted a racist comment referring to URM admission to medical school on another thread. I cannot believe the moderators let him away with that.
:rolleyes: Lighten up, geez. The real world doesn't have moderators in it, and tattling on somebody who said something naughty is pretty lame. If this is offensive to you, then I'd advise avoiding the real world.

TheProwler said:
:rolleyes: Lighten up, geez. The real world doesn't have moderators in it, and tattling on somebody who said something naughty is pretty lame. If this is offensive to you, then I'd advise avoiding the real world.

:rolleyes: "Real world"? :) Since I'm much older than you, you've no idea how that sounds. You'll learn as you grow, youngster.....and there's no excuse for racism. Again, many will agree - even if you choose not to.