Newbie Nontrad. in need of answers on how to begin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curiousbird

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found this forum and have been glued here ever since. Here's the skinny, I have a degree in Architecture and have thought for a long time that I wanted to pursue a career in the medical field. I quit practicing architecture a couple of years ago and begin working a less intense job in the nonprofit sector that allowed me time to volunteer at a women's clinic a few hours a week to get a sense of things and explore my interests. I'm fairly certain that I don't want to go to Medical School (too much time, money, and I'm approaching 30). However, I am entertaining the idea of doing PA or NP, but I need answers on the best way to get there. I thought this would be the best place to ask instead of calling different schools and talking to various people in various departments. Should I get a BSN and then go on to PA or NP (depending on what I decide)? Should I do an AS in Nursing?
I'm utterly confused about getting from point A to point B and would greatly appreciate any information passed along. thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Some other folks may have some more concrete information (websites, personal stories, etc.), but I would start with talking to folks in different programs. Sounds like the first thing to do is to decide if you want to do NP or PA. Informational interviews with deans (or some official) from and NP and a PA program could help you get an idea on which of the programs you want to do (hopefully there are some schools nearby). From there, they could be a help guiding you towards where you should be focusing your energies (likely doing some pre-reqs, expanding clinical exp. - although I have a friend in an np program that took her through prereqs, to Nursing, to NP. It's in boston). In my experience, people are pretty nice about talking about the programs (especially if they're an NP or PA themselves and you can ask about their experiences). Informational interviews are great and can possibly lead to other contacts that will supply even more info.

Something that may be of interest (posted in another forum) were some articles in the latest US news about the expanding field of "non-MD" heathcare providers.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/050131/home.htm

It's got some interesting stuff.

Good Luck with your chosen road!

curiousbird said:
I'm fairly certain that I don't want to go to Medical School (too much time, money, and I'm approaching 30). However, I am entertaining the idea of doing PA or NP, but I need answers on the best way to get there. I thought this would be the best place to ask instead of calling different schools and talking to various people in various departments.
Well congrats for deciding not to do medicine. That was a hard part for me, I was in the same position. Applied to an accelerated BSN program and everything, then last minute decided I needed medicine not nursing. The best way to do this is to really talk to the people. Talking to people on here will NOT substitute getting the interaction with talking with someone actually out in the field. Not discounting this forum, I mean it in the sense that MORE information the better. Everyone is different and everyone has different agendas. You have to make the most informed decision for yourself.

Should I get a BSN and then go on to PA or NP (depending on what I decide)? Should I do an AS in Nursing?
I'm utterly confused about getting from point A to point B and would greatly appreciate any information passed along. thanks in advance.
PA and NP are different fields as well. You need to understand the differences in both fields. Also getting NP you will need to have experience as a nurse as well. If you were to do nursing, I would suggest an accelerated BSN program as you already have a degree adn there are program changer degrees which makes it easier than just getting an AS, but it depends on obligations you have and what time frame you have. Sometimes getting the AS helps to get your foot in the door.
As for the PA - there are programs also for your assoc and bachelors in PA. I'm not as familiar as I decided on med school rather than PA for my own reasons.

I do implore you to research both areas to know what you want to do. No one can advise you what to do or tell you what is best for you other than you yourself. Research is key. These forums have some great research. Maybe checking some of the threads will help with experiences. There is no quick answer. I recommend lurking and talking with different people of the profession. Even your own doctors/NP's/PA's/nurses

Members don't see this ad :)
curiousbird said:
I'm fairly certain that I don't want to go to Medical School (too much time, money, and I'm approaching 30). However, I am entertaining the idea of doing PA or NP, but I need answers on the best way to get there.
I started medical school at age 40. We have NP and PA programs at my school. I know several nontraditional students who went the PA/NP route, and now regret their decision. Let me explain.

There's no doubt that PA's and NP's provide an important function. Just be careful that you become one for the right reasons. If you enjoy working in an ancillary role with limited autonomy and responsibility, then becoming a PA or NP may be the right decision for you. The PA's and NP's who develop a proficiency outside the basic skills of a physician, or provide a niche service that's not economical for a physician to perform, seem especially satisfied with their career choice.

However, if you feel that becoming a PA or NP will be a shortcut to being "just like a doctor", you may be making a mistake. In whatever specialty area you work, there will always be significant limits on what you know and on what you are able to do. Of course, there's nothing wrong with having limited knowledge of medicine or a limited role in patient care. But you're setting yourself up for failure if, deep down inside, you really wanted to be a physician.

I just started medical school at slightly shy of 35. I too had to make the choice of PA or MD. After talking to the PA that works at my PMC office I decided that PA was not for me. A PA degree takes almost as long as and MD degree and I don't think after all that education I would want to work under the supervision of somebody else. PA school as also getting very compettitive because many people who don't do as well as they like on the MCAT use PA school as "the back-up plan". Some PA school want higher GPA's etc than some DO schools. Also many doctors look at PA's as someone to do the scut work that they don't want to handle but there are those that treat PA's as equals and I didn't want to have to wade through that mess after receiving my degree either. I advise talking to lots of people who have gone all the routes you are considering and maybe do some shadowing and see if that is how you want to live your professional life or not.

Good Luck

Read the latest US News regardin "who needs doctors" many states are allowing PA/NP to practice sans physician supervision. It is a great article and eye opener...I think the next decade will bring forth many changes...which will not be the best for primary care docs...just fyi.

efex101 said:
Read the latest US News regardin "who needs doctors" many states are allowing PA/NP to practice sans physician supervision. It is a great article and eye opener...I think the next decade will bring forth many changes...which will not be the best for primary care docs...just fyi.

Yup, the link I put in my first post on this thread is a link to the issue efex101 is talking about. Primary care may be going a new direction.

Efex must be stoked to be at mayo as they mention the mayo clinic model as a model for how healthcare might be done in the future.

efex101 said:
There's 2 reasons why this will likely not have that much of an impact.

1. There are plenty of MDs out there. There are some liberal healthcare organizations (like AMSA) that are trying to get more resources into primary care. As a result, many claim there is a shortage of doctors. However, more objective organizations feel we have more physicians than we actually need, but that they are not evenly distrubuted in rural areas and the inner cities.

2. If you were sick, who would you go to: a PA/NP with 2 years of medical training, or a physician that has an average of 10 years of medical training? There's just no comparison. Sure, PA's/NP's have an expanding role in healthcare, especially when needed to fill niche roles or handle issues that are not economical for physicians to deal with. But they just don't have the expertise to replace physicians.

Back to the OP: If you want to be a PA or NP, that's great. There's nothing wrong with that choice. I made my original comments because it sounded like you wanted to be a physician, but felt that time/money/age were limiting factors. I wanted you to consider that these factors are relative, and that 10 years from now, you may wish that you made bolder choices.

Actually I read some other article (cannot remember where) that does state the shortage that will happen due to more women going into medicine and opting to work part-time. Because half of the medical school classes are now women and many of them may opt for PT this *will* create a shortage of physicians. Maybe someone has this article and can post the link.

I think that due to the increase in health care costs and the fact that many HMO's want to pay only X or Y for procedures it is clear to me that more will be trying to get patients to see NP/PA for this very reason.

A huge thank you to everyone who responded. It appears that my next step is to start making some calls.

Starting on the calls right now.

Thanks again.