transcript service

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the current OD students -- how does your transcript service work? Do the students who participate have to take turns writing them (for free, as part of the service), is it a work-study job, or do you have "professional" (non-student) writers?

Members don't see this ad.

At ICO it is completely student run. If you want to receive notes, it is about $75-100 per quarter. It all depends on how many hours there are to take notes on. The student who take the notes make bout $30/lecture. Most only do a lecture or 2 per week. It is not as much a transcribed lecture, as just notes on it. They usually put in everything the prof says, but not word-for-word. They also include pictures, graphs, or tables when appropriate.

There is a note-taker coordinator for every years class, a overall coordinator, and 2 printers per class. Every position is payed.

our note service is optional.. it's run by students. Note takers are paid 30 dollars per lecture hour transcribed. It's usually about 120 dollars a semsester for all 20 hours of classes. (well, minus the labs)

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I would love to get paided for taking notes! how do yall's schools pick the people that do that? I have a labtop and type up all my notes in undergrad, so to do it for money would be even better :)

@ SCCO notetakers don't get paid. It's runs $30 quarter to be a part of the service, and students that want to receive the transcripts take turns doing the lectures.

heretic said:
@ SCCO notetakers don't get paid. It's runs $30 quarter to be a part of the service, and students that want to receive the transcripts take turns doing the lectures.
At SUNY, this is how we do it, too. It costs about $20-$25 per quarter. We have a transcript head, scheduler, and printers -- they still pay to be part of the service, but they don't have to transcribe any lectures. Like ICO's, our transcipts aren't word-for-word (although they can be close, occassionally), and have charts/drawings to clarify things.

I heard that at PCO they have non-student "professional transcribers" who do their transcripts -- does anyone know about that?

Hello:

Our note taking service is completely student run (paid for through our class fees) and everyone participates. During my first year, we had a vote and agreed that we would upload notes online instead of printing them out (saved us from an extra $40? each semester).

Here is an article by our Trustee-Elect that was published in Foresight about it:
http://members.aol.com/joyce105/ucbso/shumaker_foresight.html

(I also included an article that he wrote about our collaboration with Haas School of Business for those interested)

Best wishes,

Rosanna