EVMS - My Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my interview day at EVMS yesterday (9/9). Here are my impressions:

Campus: Small, but clean and attractive. The school is located in or just next to Ghent, a very nice part of Norfolk that seems to have a number of high-dollar homes. The school library looks to be quite new, but the rest of the facilities appear to be somewhat older. School facilities are not ultra-modern. The Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters, however, was beautiful and amazing.

Norfolk itself is an up-and-coming city. It's located right next to the Chesapeake Bay and within 20-30 minutes of the beach. Within the last 10 years, there's been quite a lot of change in the upscale direction. You now have your pick between high-end shopping and entertainment and small-town charm; MacArthur center, a large multistory shopping mall, is located just minutes away from a 50-year-old drive-in diner whose founder claimed to have invented the waffle cone in 1904. There's a well-regarded aquarium, a zoo, a very impressive art museum, and lots of other cultural attractions nearby.

Academics: EVMS places a high priority on developing excellent clinicians. The first presentation of the day was from the director of their standardized patient program, who brought with him one of their standardized patients. His portrayal of the condition was impressive (depression/slightly suicidal), but the feedback he then gave the volunteer interviewer was amazing. Students apparently spend a significant portion of their time with the program, and it seems to me that it would almost certainly lead to a well developed clinical skillset well before the clinical years.

There was some mention of the quality of the science curriculum. EVMS boasts the highest board pass rate among the three Virginia schools, comfortably above the national average, along with a strong showing in the residency match each year. All of the students we met said that their professors have been very accessible and willing to help outside of the classroom. I wish there had been more discussion about the basic science years during the interview day, although I wouldn't have wanted to miss the standardized patient presentation.

Student Life: Being a smaller med school has its advantages. Everyone I met at EVMS was friendly and happy to be there, and there was a very cohesive, tight-knit feel to the community. At the lunchtime presentation, the outgoing director of admissions was cracking jokes about an M2 who had just given a presentation on the school; I was impressed that he knew the students at a level where he could do such a thing. (Maybe it helped that the slide show included a photo of the director, a 60-70-year-old man, wearing a pink wig.) There seemed to be a very non-competitive and helpful atmosphere, to the extent that class notes/study guides/crib sheets/old exams were shared freely.

EVMS seems to offer a lot of opportunities to get involved with the school and the community at large. Students volunteer in and around Norfolk and run some of their own charity drives. There are also opportunities to travel abroad, both to volunteer and to get some medical experience.

Overall: I walked into the interview expecting to find a decent school: Good academics, decent facilities, reasonable community. My expectations were greatly exceeded. EVMS is quite serious about training great doctors, and the quality of their education is clearly excellent. Moreover, I get the sense that the students and faculty form a very supportive, tight-knit community that fosters greatness in everyone. It's hard to rank med schools before finishing my interviews, but I know that I'd be happy to call EVMS home.

Members don't see this ad.

blee said:

Campus: Small, but clean and attractive. The school is located in or just next to Ghent, a very nice part of Norfolk that seems to have a number of high-dollar homes. The school library looks to be quite new, but the rest of the facilities appear to be somewhat older. School facilities are not ultra-modern. The Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters, however, was beautiful and amazing.

Norfolk itself is an up-and-coming city. It's located right next to the Chesapeake Bay and within 20-30 minutes of the beach. Within the last 10 years, there's been quite a lot of change in the upscale direction. You now have your pick between high-end shopping and entertainment and small-town charm; MacArthur center, a large multistory shopping mall, is located just minutes away from a 50-year-old drive-in diner whose founder claimed to have invented the waffle cone in 1904. There's a well-regarded aquarium, a zoo, a very impressive art museum, and lots of other cultural attractions nearby.

Academics: EVMS places a high priority on developing excellent clinicians. The first presentation of the day was from the director of their standardized patient program, who brought with him one of their standardized patients. His portrayal of the condition was impressive (depression/slightly suicidal), but the feedback he then gave the volunteer interviewer was amazing. Students apparently spend a significant portion of their time with the program, and it seems to me that it would almost certainly lead to a well developed clinical skillset well before the clinical years.

There was some mention of the quality of the science curriculum. EVMS boasts the highest board pass rate among the three Virginia schools, comfortably above the national average, along with a strong showing in the residency match each year. All of the students we met said that their professors have been very accessible and willing to help outside of the classroom. I wish there had been more discussion about the basic science years during the interview day, although I wouldn't have wanted to miss the standardized patient presentation.

Student Life: Being a smaller med school has its advantages. Everyone I met at EVMS was friendly and happy to be there, and there was a very cohesive, tight-knit feel to the community. At the lunchtime presentation, the outgoing director of admissions was cracking jokes about an M2 who had just given a presentation on the school; I was impressed that he knew the students at a level where he could do such a thing. (Maybe it helped that the slide show included a photo of the director, a 60-70-year-old man, wearing a pink wig.) There seemed to be a very non-competitive and helpful atmosphere, to the extent that class notes/study guides/crib sheets/old exams were shared freely.

EVMS seems to offer a lot of opportunities to get involved with the school and the community at large. Students volunteer in and around Norfolk and run some of their own charity drives. There are also opportunities to travel abroad, both to volunteer and to get some medical experience.

Overall: I walked into the interview expecting to find a decent school: Good academics, decent facilities, reasonable community. My expectations were greatly exceeded. EVMS is quite serious about training great doctors, and the quality of their education is clearly excellent. Moreover, I get the sense that the students and faculty form a very supportive, tight-knit community that fosters greatness in everyone. It's hard to rank med schools before finishing my interviews, but I know that I'd be happy to call EVMS home.

Thanks for the info Blee. The school sounds great. I would love to go to a school like that! I hope EVMS will let in a few out of state people.

blee said:

Norfolk itself is an up-and-coming city. It's located right next to the Chesapeake Bay and within 20-30 minutes of the beach. Within the last 10 years, there's been quite a lot of change in the upscale direction. You now have your pick between high-end shopping and entertainment and small-town charm; MacArthur center, a large multistory shopping mall, is located just minutes away from a 50-year-old drive-in diner whose founder claimed to have invented the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=waffle%20cone" onmouseover="window.status='waffle cone'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">waffle cone</a> in 1904. There's a well-regarded aquarium, a zoo, a very impressive art museum, and lots of other cultural attractions nearby.

Student Life: Being a smaller med school has its advantages. Everyone I met at EVMS was friendly and happy to be there, and there was a very cohesive, tight-knit feel to the community. At the lunchtime presentation, the outgoing director of admissions was cracking jokes about an M2 who had just given a presentation on the school; I was impressed that he knew the students at a level where he could do such a thing. (Maybe it helped that the slide show included a photo of the director, a 60-70-year-old man, wearing a pink wig.) There seemed to be a very non-competitive and helpful atmosphere, to the extent that class notes/study guides/<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=crib%20sheets" onmouseover="window.status='crib sheets'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">crib sheets</a>/old exams were shared freely.

Hey! I was there also on 9/9 and agree with your remarks wholeheartedly. I have a question for you: Did the admissions director say that we could call BEFORE 10/15 in order to find out our status? Or call ON 10/15?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great feedback. Definitely changes my perception of the school.

Can you guys provide us on any feedback regarding the interview itself?

Quick notes on the interview. I plan to add to the SDN med school interview database, but the entries there are pretty accurate. You sit in a room with two or three interviewers. One of them has access to your entire file and is a member of the admissions committee. The other(s) have your secondary app and part of AMCAS (no transcript), but serve only to provide their feedback/impressions to the adcom member. I guess the idea is to prevent one bad personal interaction from ruining the interview.

I was geared up for a stressful interview, but it was not so bad. The interviewers were pleasant with me and didn't play any mind games. They pointed out what they found to be weaknesses in my application and gave me a chance to discuss or defend them. After that, they moved on to the ethical questions. I think the key is to BE YOURSELF, pick a position that you actually believe, and be prepared to defend it. The questions were probing but not accusatory or aggressive. You will probably also be asked the typical questions: why medicine, why EVMS. Again, just be yourself. If you don't put up pretenses, everything will go smoothly.

So I guess the one-line summary would be that the interview was challenging but not nerve-wracking. I know it has a lot to do with getting a good interviewer and getting along with them, but I truly felt that they were committed to EVMS and committed to picking good candidates for the school.

blee said:
I was geared up for a stressful interview, but it was not so bad. The interviewers were pleasant with me and didn't play any mind games. They pointed out what they found to be weaknesses in my application and gave me a chance to discuss or defend them. After that, they moved on to the ethical questions. I think the key is to BE YOURSELF, pick a position that you actually believe, and be prepared to defend it. The questions were probing but not accusatory or aggressive. You will probably also be asked the typical questions: why medicine, why EVMS. Again, just be yourself. If you don't put up pretenses, everything will go smoothly.

Jesus, the interview I did for my alma mater involved the Dean and I discussing classic cars and unusual brands of scotch.

blee said:

thanx for taking the time to write. Was wondering about the panel interview.

Thanks for those great posts!

chattkis said:
Hey! I was there also on 9/9 and agree with your remarks wholeheartedly. I have a question for you: Did the admissions director say that we could call BEFORE 10/15 in order to find out our status? Or call ON 10/15?

What time day you get out? I heard that one should avoid tunnel traffic at rush hour. Can the taxis get around this (or will you go bankrupt in a cab at rush hour), and how long does it take to get to the airport?

Med01 said:
What time day you get out? I heard that one should avoid tunnel traffic at rush hour. Can the taxis get around this (or will you go bankrupt in a cab at rush hour), and how long does it take to get to the airport?

where is this tunnel? is it on the way to the airport from the med school/hotels?

C.P. Jones said:
where is this tunnel? is it on the way to the airport from the med school/hotels?
Not from the airport, I guess it depends on the hotels. The Norfolk/Tidewater area is accessible from the mainland Hampton Roads community via two major roads, the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel. If you're staying in Hampton, Newport News, or somewhere else in that area, you might have an issue. My guess is that the suggested hotels on the EVMS page are all on the same side as the airport and the school.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=norfo...27&spn=0.069552,0.118558&num=10&start=0&hl=en

Look at that map. The area with all of the little red droplet/arrow things is the airport. EVMS is located just next to Sentara Norfolk General, which is on the left side of the map.

EDIT: Note quite. The airport is a little bit north east of the area shown in this map. Sorry.

ooohhhhhhh, i see the tunnels now. i never zoomed out when i went to look. my hotel is a mile from the school, so i have everything on the same side. Thanks a lot, Blee!

I got stuck in tunnel traffic after the interview - for about and hour. So I would advise chilling out in Norfolk until it subsides.

There is a downtown tunnel in Norfolk. There is also a midtown tunnel there. You do not want to be near these two tunnels from 4-6 p.m. M-F.
The Norfolk airport is near I-64 (not near the Norfolk tunnels). So, you could take 64 to terminal blvd. to hampton blvd. to brambleton and then you're there. You do not have to go in any tunnels this way. But, if you are flying into Newport News you would have the two options for bridges at the north of Hampton Roads. Then take I-64 to whereever you have to go.

Med01 said:
You don't have to go in any tunnels. You can take I-64 to whereever. It wraps around most of Hampton Roads and connects to I-264 and I-664. These are way better than sitting bumper-to-bumper in tunnel traffic. Tunnels meaning the midtown and downtown.

It has been a number of years since I've lived in Hampton Roads, but I think you can take 264 East (toward Va. Beach), get on 64 West, then take the Robin Hood Road exit which is basically right at the airport.

racerx said:
It has been a number of years since I've lived in Hampton Roads, but I think you can take 264 East (toward Va. Beach), get on 64 West, then take the Robin Hood Road exit which is basically right at the airport.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA, robin hood road, if i go to EVMS, and have to somewhere, that's where i want to live...unless you can tell me any better names

blee said:
Not from the airport, I guess it depends on the hotels. The Norfolk/Tidewater area is accessible from the mainland Hampton Roads community via two major roads, the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Monitor-Merrimack Bridge Tunnel. If you're staying in Hampton, Newport News, or somewhere else in that area, you might have an issue. My guess is that the suggested hotels on the EVMS page are all on the same side as the airport and the school.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=norfo...27&spn=0.069552,0.118558&num=10&start=0&hl=en

Look at that map. The area with all of the little red droplet/arrow things is the airport. EVMS is located just next to Sentara Norfolk General, which is on the left side of the map.

EDIT: Note quite. The airport is a little bit north east of the area shown in this map. Sorry.

thanx, I went to EVMS before (on company business) and remember being stuck in traffic. Coz I wasn't paying for the cab bill I wasn't too worried then.

Apparently I am late in the game, what is EVMS?

powerbooki said:
Apparently I am late in the game, what is EVMS?

Eastern Virginia Medical School. It's in Norfolk, VA.

Hey I just got an interview to EVMS. From what I hear it sounds like an amazing school. But anyone know how good my chances are if I'm out of state?