Questions in Topscore; Possible errors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

beastly115

#1. In the organic section of DAT prac. test #1, question 98, it asks which is anti-aromatic. The answer is not choice C, the 8 carbon ring, but choice D (cyclobutadiene). It says it is not C because it is not planar :rolleyes:

Kaplan's blue book pg. 373 says that both compounds are antiaromatic. What's the deal?

#2. Again, the organic section on prac. test #1. Number 76 should have a heat symbol under the second step where the acid is added, right? My textbook says that it will form a double bond only if heat is added and there's no sign of heat being added in either of the steps. Can someone clarify or is it an oversight on Topscore's part?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have run into the same problem and wondered the same thing. I have to go with the anti-aromatic answer that Topscore gave because that is the same question that I got in my Ochem class. Take that for what its worth.

rchuloholla said:
check the website... for topscore..under support..they have a list of errors

Hey, just imagine how many pages of support you'd need to have to edit Barron's! hehe, might as well put the whole thing online.

The cyclooctatetraene is often a trick problem that appears on American Chemical Society exams..... IT is NEITHER aromatic nor anti aromatic because it is shaped like a TUB !!!! Thats right,,,a bath tub ! Thus, it is non planar and therefore NON AROMATIC. I know that the Vohlhardt book and possibly Wade or McMurray book might have a delightful depiction of the molecule. Regards, Dr. Romano Orgoman.com NYU