Mcw

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonnylingo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know why Medical College of Wis has NO PGY IIs? The Frieda website shows that PGY III and IV each have 5 residents, but NONE last year going into the prog. No matches? No funding? ACGME problems? New approach? (I know some schools stagger the # of residents based on gov funding). Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know why Medical College of Wis has NO PGY IIs? The Frieda website shows that PGY III and IV each have 5 residents, but NONE last year going into the prog. No matches? No funding? ACGME problems? New approach? (I know some schools stagger the # of residents based on gov funding). Any ideas?

For some reason, the Frieda website is incorrect. Currently, there are 5 PGY II's at MCW, along with 5 PGY III's, 6 PGY IV's, and 5 PGY I's doing internship this year, matched to start in the PMR program next year (I happen to be one of these PGY I's starting the MCW PMR program next year). There are no ACGME problems that I know of, funding seems to be sufficient, and the program has been filling through the match. This seems to be a program that doesn't get a lot of attention on these message boards, but Dr. Dillingham (the chairman) has been doing a lot over the last couple years to really improve the program, including almost doubling the PMR faculty over this period. The program doesn't rotate through a dedicated rehab hospital (like RIC) but does have inpatient floors at two hospitals in town (Froedtert Memorial Hospital and the Milwaukee VA) with a pretty large variety of patients. Outpatient experience is also good with plenty of injection and emg experience (so I'm told... I'll have to wait till next year and beyond to find out firsthand). Anyway, although I'm biased, I think that MCW offers a great program - well-rounded, plenty of research opportunities, with very enthusiastic chairman (Dr. Dillingham) and excellent program director (Dr. Klingbeil) along with the rest of its growing staff. If anybody has any questions about this program, feel free to PM me anytime.

bxg205, you can look into this. There was a year where MCW matched nobody. This may be why freida has a Zero. I'd check with the program. I'm very certain that they had a year where they didn't match anyone and literally scrambled to fill a whole years slate of residents. Don't PM me, respond here. Doubling the faculty means it's a program in transition - one you should let someone else experiment trying out while you go to a more stable one. Can you give us any numbers about what kind of injections and the numbers of these injections and EMGs done by residents? Keep in mind for spinal interventions you litterally want to do a couple hundred to feel comfortable. From what I've heard they do hardly any interventions at all. Having a lot of EMG usually means over 400 since ACGME requires 200. I await the numbers....

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously, what's with the sudden onslaught of MCW bashing? I almost have to believe that it isn't real and just meant to get a rise out of people. I can't think of any other reason someone would dislike a program so much. I hate to fall victim to someone's attempt to provoke me, but MCW is a good program no matter what people are saying and it is worth a brief response. MCW doesn't have a huge name like some of the top tier schools, but the name of a program isn't everything. In terms of the program being in flux I guess I would partially agree with that. The Chair and PD took over 4 years ago and have made a lot of changes. I think most people would agree that the changes were positive and that now things are starting to settle down. The residents would have a better perspective on this, but that has been my impression. If you have any doubts, come and check it out for yourself as that's the only way you'll be able to get a true feel for any program. That's all the energy I am going to waste addressing this. Listen to the residents who posted, they would know best.

As I said in another post I'm not here to offend. The initial post on this topic never recieved an accurate answer. If I'm not mistaken it was more recent than 5 years that MCW went unmatched. Why just accuse me of bashing without providing the correct answer? Most residents will never say anything negative about their program because you're not going to get anything out of it and you may have something to lose because you have to ask your program for recommendations, etc.

I know of two programs that are sub par but are in some of the most famous medical schools in the country. There's no correlation between the med school image and the residency quality. That's something only patients should be falling for. This is not "HATING!!!" This is finding real info instead off the fluff on this board.

For dude100: I asked for how many procedures you did, not saw during the residency. Someone's wrong on the numbers. Have you actually done the pain rotation yet and done this many procedures? My bet is the answer to that is no. I was only interested in the numbers including EMG. I did hear that MCW is pretty good for EMG, but that the main teacher is retiring. I'll respond more in the main post later, maybe tomorrow.

As I said in another post I'm not here to offend. The initial post on this topic never recieved an accurate answer. If I'm not mistaken it was more recent than 5 years that MCW went unmatched. Why just accuse me of bashing without providing the correct answer? Most residents will never say anything negative about their program because you're not going to get anything out of it and you may have something to lose because you have to ask your program for recommendations, etc.

I know of two programs that are sub par but are in some of the most famous medical schools in the country. There's no correlation between the med school image and the residency quality. That's something only patients should be falling for. This is not "HATING!!!" This is finding real info instead off the fluff on this board.

For dude100: I asked for how many procedures you did, not saw during the residency. Someone's wrong on the numbers. Have you actually done the pain rotation yet and done this many procedures? My bet is the answer to that is no and definitely no. I was only interested in the numbers including EMG. I did hear that MCW is pretty good for EMG, but that the main teacher is retiring.

You can't use simple matching a full slot as success nowadays. PM&R is much more popular and programs that often had FMGs now have more and more US grads. I'd use the baseline standard of having one or preferably less FMG per class as a new measure. Not simply matching. I'll respond more in the main post later, maybe tomorrow.

So my 1st interview of the "Trail" begins on Thursday evening... and at MCW of all places... I'm not usually one to get bent out of shape or nervous or to take things too seriously especially on a website such as this... but come on! Of all the programs I'll be interviewing at, WHY does someone have to start bashing the one I'll be kicking off at?! I'm suddenly so confused and wondering what the hell am I gonna be thinking while I'm there now. So, thanks, asdfasdfasdfadsfadsfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf.

Hi TUCOMSam

I have absolutely no affiliation with MCW other than the fact that I have already had my interview there. My experience at MCW was great-- I was one of those people who was "pleasantly surprised." I did spend a lot of time chatting with the residents and you can just tell that they were all very happy with the program. I really wouldn't get hung up about what people are saying on this thread, remember that these are opinions (both good and bad) of individual people. Only you can make up your mind about how you feel about a particular program. It's up to you to do your research and ask the right questions. Hopefully your perceptive skills will kick in and give you a general feeling about a place after all is said and done. Just enjoy your interviews and take comfort in the fact that you are applying to a specialty that you love! Have fun and good luck!

So my 1st interview of the "Trail" begins on Thursday evening... and at MCW of all places... I'm not usually one to get bent out of shape or nervous or to take things too seriously especially on a website such as this... but come on! Of all the programs I'll be interviewing at, WHY does someone have to start bashing the one I'll be kicking off at?! I'm suddenly so confused and wondering what the hell am I gonna be thinking while I'm there now. So, thanks, asdfasdfasdfadsfadsfasdfasdfasdfasdfasdf.
TUCOMSam,

There isn't anything you should be worried about. I think if you just show up you'll have a pleasant experience. The interviews themselves are very laid back. The PD will answer any questions you might have and is very straightforward and nice....aren't all pediatric docs? He is very open about what he thinks the programs current weaknesses are (e.g. too much SCI). He would definitely tell you when the last time the program went unmatched was if you asked.

You definitely have nothing to worry about in terms of atmosphere, it's very welcoming. I think Asdfasdfasdf's major beef is about numbers, not so much whether people are happy or not. If that's the case I will flat out disagree with him/her. I don't even think he/she is necessarily trying to deter people from the program. I think he/she was of the opinion that my review was inaccurate/fluffy in some respects and wanted people to know what he/she thought. So I guess just ask questions of as many people as you can. If you do that at every interview, you'll at least have something objective with which to compare programs in addition to your subjective feelings (which are just as important as the numbers!). Disciple left some good advice in the interview stories thread in terms of what to ask. Try not to let all this get you stressed out. MCW is a good place to do a first interview because it is very welcoming. As with any program, whether or not it's the program for you is something only you can decide. Just take everything said on this forum with a grain of salt and make up your own mind. Good luck!

Those are the procedures that I actually did. Granted, I'm pretty aggressive, and not intimidated by the anesthesia residents, so I probably did more than some people, but yes, these are the procedures that I performed. My 1st day I did a medial branch block, a trigger point, and a facet. The procedures are there. But like I said before, this is not as big of a deal that you think. I did an outside pain rotation, and though they were impressed with my procedural experience, it's not like I was put on a pedestal or anything. You're gonna need to do a fellowship to practice pain, and other things (like research, LOR's, etc) are much more important than doing 20 facets.

Also, some advice, don't ask that on interviews. People will get a weird feeling about someone who only wants to know the number of pain procedures available. One may think that you wouldn't have an appreciation for PM&R as a whole, and some attendings don't like pain at all, and that will really get you on their bad side.

Thanks for the reply dude100,
I'll take you at your word then that you did at least about 50 flouro procedures. Only questions are:
1. Is this about average we can expect?
2. How many procedures did you do under the anesthesia dept and how many under PM&R?
3. Why did you feel the need to do an outside pain rotation and could you have done just as well by spending more elective time at MCW?

Please see my post on the main board and understand the point I'm coming from. I'm sure as you can see my confusion as you've stated doing a good amount of procedures whereas the other guy said it was "soft" in his last post.

Members don't see this ad :)
But like I said before, you're gonna need to do a fellowship to do these procedures, regardless of your experience in residency.

How certain are you about this?

I humbly disagree.

1. ACGME guidelines are vague regarding the # of procedures needed to attain "competence". It is nowhere near 1000. You listed 75 procedures performed. I don't advocate practicing after performance of that number. However, most residents should have adequate skill after 150-300 injections, unless their hand-eye coordination is below average. Additionally, ACGME guidelines do not address the performance of advanced techinques such as Vertebroplasty and intradiscal procedures, which in many cases, are learned by pain/spine docs after fellowship. Lastly, interventional procedures are not soley the domain of pain doctors (though academic pain would have you believe otherwise). The government is not interested in restricting scope of practice and/or decreasing patients' access to services. If they had their way, more CRNAs would likely be doing spinal injections. If you've noticed, they're more interested in cutting reimbursement for procedures across the board.

2. I have spoken with many pain docs who review cases for and serve as expert witnessess in complications of interventional pain procedures. Docs are usually sued and lose a case when they:
a. Don't follow the standard of care
b. Don't manage complications expediently/properly or blow them off

3. The "White Papers" published by the AAPMR/PASSOR for hospital credendialing state that interventional pain procedures are part of Physiatric practice. No where does it state that a fellowship is required. All that is listed is adequate experience under supervision

4. Concerning jobs: There are probably more jobs available for pain/spine than any other "niche" in Physiatry (check the back pages of the Archives or the job board on the AAPMR website). Surgeons, pain groups and PM&R groups are all looking for interventionalists. In agreement with other threads, I also have known more than a few residents who have entered in to high volume MSK/interventional jobs right out of residency with little difficulty. At the ASC I do procedures at and any other I have visited it is not required to have fellowship training. What is required is proof of training/experience (logs, course certificates, etc.). If there is any doubt about an applicant's abilities, he or she is proctored for a few sessions to ensure they are safe in the procedure room.

5. The reason I chose to do a fellowship, and in my opinion the best use of fellowship training, is to get faster and to do a high volume of advanced procedures. In private practice it is advantageous for you to able to do epidurals (multilevel or bilateral TFESIs) in 15 min. blocks, 30 for RF, etc. to be productive to your group. Sure, you can use your fellowship to learn basic injections that you should have learned in residency. In my opinion, that would be an inefficient use of your time.

See #5 above.

I never said there weren't positives to doing a fellowship. My contention is with your statement saying that it is necesary to do a fellowship to perform interventional procedures.

Dear Dude100,
Just some end questions. I ask these simply because my sources are firm on their recommendations to me. It amazes me how confident some people are in their impressions after a few hour interview. They're either going to leave with the right impression or get fooled. Not to be a troublemaker but I've been told by residents in all fields that many are afraid to say anything negative about their program which is why I advised people to speak to recent grads who are outside the program.

1. Going through the MCW website there are 4 attendings who've done a spine or pain fellowship, yet you don't do procedures with any of them?

2. How does anesthesia treat you since you are not part of their department?

3. Is it true the main EMG teacher is leaving and if so how will that affect training? When Leaving?

Per your website new leadership started April 2003, so the class of 2005 is fair game for asking the rate of board certification. 2004 not fair cause there would only be 1 year for new leadership to influence the situation and 2006 hasn't taken the orals yet.

4. So, what 2005 class board certification rate? I hate PM, but please PM me and some other moderate like axm397 (or post them here) names in the class of 2005 and we'll look it up on ABMS.org and determine percent certified.

5. How Long ACGME accreditation?

Will post a copy on the regular board. Hopefully Dude100 will reply all answers at that'll be that!

Disciple is correct. A fellowship training experience (ACGME or otherwise) is certainly preferred and may "grease the skids" in hospital privileges, etc but is no way *required* for reimbursement. There are plenty of anesthesiologists, neurologists, and physiatrists out there practicing pain medicine without a fellowship.

Personally, I don't recommend it, but many do just that.

See #5 above.

I never said there weren't positives to doing a fellowship. My contention is with your statement saying that it is necesary to do a fellowship to perform interventional procedures.

I would contend that, if you chose to do stims, discos, cervical transforaminals, or even had a significant complication without having had a fellowship, you would be in a far less defensible position

Certainly you can DO these procedrues without a fellowship. Whetehr you can do them COMPETANTLY remains an open question, IMHO

Dear dude100,
I do appreciate your patience and good natured understanding in answering my questions.

4. The class of 2005 has 100% board passing rate, and 2006 100% on the writtens, so that isn't a big deal either. I'm not gonna provide names because that is silly to do on a forum like this, so it is your choice whether you believe me.
Unfortunately, I do not believe you. Moreover, I've got good proof. Since you say "2005 has 100% board passing rate, and 2006 100% on the writtens", it is reasonable to assume you mean that the 2005 class has a 100% board certification rate - which is the original question.

We also all know that the American Board of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation sends out info on who is board certified (after passing orals) to the American Board of Medical Specialties and you can look up known recent diplomates on ABMS.org to verify its 100% accuracy.

That brings me to this:
link deleted by moderator

This is a resume of someone who claims to be a graduate of the 2005 class at MCW. Yet when you look this person up on abms.org, this person is not there. This means that this person either failed the writtern or the oral boards. Thus when you say "The class of 2005 has 100% board passing rate" that is a factually incorrect statement. Since most of what you have said is not verifyable - except board certification rate - this would be a major red flag. Unfortunately this would bring up the possibility of deliberate misrepresenation. Please explain this descrepancy. Surely you would know the true board certification rate since you're at the program and even felt comfortable to make a claim about it in the quote above.

I do hate PM but wanted to paste some comments (in no particular order) that I had sent to a moderator (by PM) in a section separated by asteriks. I hope the moderator doesn't mind.

I hope you don't view my involvement in this forum as disruptive. I'm not going to say how I know but I do know for a fact that many of the posts are misleading, likely not intentional but that is what is going on.

I know for a fact that much of what's been said about MCW is "innacurrate" to make a politically correct statement. Unfortunately if you look at all the MCW posts almost all information that is posted can't be independently verified except for one main thing - their board certification rate.

This part refers to the board cert rate question
This is why I hid this question into a bunch of others to see if it gets a reply. I asked this question earlier and it went unanswered.

Man, after trying to help people out by showing them scams, I have not only gotten no appreciation but my comments have been rubuked. Fine, I'll let these guys go to these crappy programs.

I was trying to shock other seniors into realizing that programs are trying to put their best foot forward which often isn't a completely honest process. I personally know people who admit lying to interviewees about their program - essentially promoting programs they wouldn't have gone to if they had to do it over again. Many are afraid to say bad stuff cause you do have a lot of stuff to lose and nothing to gain.

When it comes to programs that should be avoided you literally have to post quite negative info on this board. I don't think that type of info is warmly recieved by the readership. In fact the way the MCW thread has gone it encourages people to go to these defunct programs. Thus I'll likely not be posting much but I will try to get this board cert rate for MCW revealed as proof that I'm not the misinformed person that people on this board are implying I am.

So I hope that the readership realizes that I just tried to get this board to be more fair and objective. This is not about making trouble.

I would ask one more time for you to PM me or a moderator the names of the 2005 graduates so we can determine the real board certification rate. If you want to be totally honest you can post those names here for everyone to see.

Your persistence in the matter re: MCW is striking... at first I simply assumed you were a menace who is trying to create waves of turmoil for all of us 4th years who use this valuable resource. I'm still not convinced that isn't the case; however, given that you would go to such lengths to post a CV without the name blotted out, makes me reconsider how "menacing" you are... unforutnately it makes me question your professionalism as well... Some things could be said without using names on this forum. One of the most important attributes on this site is the anonymity each member has, but should also encompass based on professional respect the anonymity of those who aren't members. The fact that you would post the name/CV of someone who isn't even available to defend him/herself, but not say who you are to support your claim/defense undermines your credibility somewhat.

I found MCW to be exactly what has been reported on this site by everyone except you. Your last post did make some valid arguments against what I "think" I saw while there. At this point, I must choose whether to become paranoid against all programs or to trust my judgement after reviewing my own research of programs plus what I saw/was told while interviewing.

Normally I would simply PM this statement to you, but you seem to prefer the "public" route, so here it is. I'm not bashing you. I'm simply confused at what I think I may know about a program. The sad part is, my uncertainty now of the program could cause me to rank it differently. Anyway, thoughts?

TUCOMSam,

Do you really think that I that I somehow obtained someone's resume and posted it online? Do a google search for link deleted by moderator minus the quotes and click on the second link down and you'll get to the list of resumes that people have put up themselves on the internet. The person put it up himself/herself. In case you missed it the link is the second one down (indented after the first link) on the google search and it is:deleted by moderator Scroll down to physical medicine and there it is. I did not attack this person in any way and the person clearly doesn't make any claims of board certification - probably because the person's being honest and dude100 is misleading about the board certification rate in the 2005 class.

Did you actually log in to abms.org to verify what I told everyone was true? With regards to professionalism, say what you want but I asked that these names be PM'd but dude100 refused so I was forced to link to something that was publicly available on the internet and posted in a public forum by the person themselves. Please tell me how I attacked this person and why they'd need to defend themselves? How could I have proved this in any other way? If somebody puts up their resume on the internet in a way that is accessable to all, is it really unethical or unprofessional to post its link? Please tell me how this person has been harmed by this post?

It's not being paranoid vs. trusting your judgement. It's being sophisticated vs. unsophisticated. The bottomline is that dude100 refused to do this by PM so how could I have proved my point without posting the link? I got fed up with not being believed. Have you talked with anyone who just graduated from this or any other program that you're considering? Please re-read my posts and think about it. Programs put their best foot forward, do you really think that you'll go to a place and they'll tell you it sucks? IF you're serious about getting into a good program than part of the game is actually getting things correct, not relying on other people who've merely interviewed at places.

Your quote: "The fact that you would post the name/CV of someone who isn't even available to defend him/herself, but not say who you are to support your claim/defense undermines your credibility somewhat."

What about all the (mis)information on this board? I don't see anyone asking names of those posting, but instead actually believing most things. But suddenly I have to reveal completely my identity becuase I don't believe a falsehood?

Don't mean to go off on you but I'll defend myself vigorously thank you.

Cheers!

OK - I apologize that I did not catch this thread faster. asdfasdfasdf, I have to respectfully disagree with your argument for posting a CV of a person who doesn't even know it has been posted on a forum like this. CVs are supposed to be used for professional purposes and even though the person may have posted it on a public website, the use of his CV for this purpose is probably not what he intended. Also, this doesn't serve as proof that he failed his board exam. It could be that he chose to take it later.

I don't care that you posted a copy of your pm to me (not FROM me). However, PM stands for private messaging for a reason. I do try to be careful when I write ppl via PM for this exact reason because I have seen people misuse the PM system in the past.

I think you have made your point very clear. You think that residents and medical students familiar with the MCW program are misrepresenting the program on purpose to mislead medical students into ranking the program highly. I think you do feel that you are tyring to help people and I think you have helped - it helped people realize that the match process is indeed a political process where both applicants and programs put their best foot forward. However, you do have to make your point, then leave it up to the individual applicants to make their own decisions about a program.

To summarize, I'm gathering from your posts that your opinion of MCW is that: MCW's residents may not have passed the boards in the past and that should be known, that they do not get to actually perform as many interventional procedures as you think they should be able to perform, and you think there are unhappy residents at the program who do not want to speak up to potential applicants.

We have MCW residents and medical students who have rotated at the program who disagree.

Let's just leave it at that. Your posts today have gone too far. I understand wanting to defend your position; however, we do have to try to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism and mutual respect. It's fine to share your opinion but I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it if your CV or board failure was shared on a public forum without your permission or you getting a chance to defend yourself. Let's all keep this forum cordial and helpful.

Thanks! ;)

I would contend that, if you chose to do stims, discos, cervical transforaminals, or even had a significant complication without having had a fellowship, you would be in a far less defensible position

Certainly you can DO these procedrues without a fellowship. Whetehr you can do them COMPETANTLY remains an open question, IMHO

So, we can probably agree that it comes down to repetition and appropriate supervision, most of which can be attained during residency for basic procedures. Advanced procedures cannot, obviously, more or less due to time constraints with rotations, etc.

On the other hand, don't pain docs learn new procedures through workshops after their fellowship training is complete?

So, while we're on the subject, who should determine competence? Fellowship guidelines are vague and inadequate regarding this issue and interventional pain docs certainly don't log their cases for an entire year before board exams as surgical specialties do.

So, we can probably agree that it comes down to repetition and appropriate supervision, most of which can be attained during residency for basic procedures. Advanced procedures cannot, obviously, more or less due to time constraints with rotations, etc.

On the other hand, don't pain docs learn new procedures through workshops after their fellowship training is complete?

So, while we're on the subject, who should determine competence? Fellowship guidelines are vague and inadequate regarding this issue and interventional pain docs certainly don't log their cases for an entire year before board exams as surgical specialties do.

Let me put it to you this way - would you let a loved one have a cervcical transforaminal done by a doc who had merely taken a weekend course? Neither would I.

There are quite a few interventionalists I respect a great deal who were never fellowship trained.

I recall a talk I attended a while ago by Rick Derby where he joked about how many patients he "bagged, back in the day".

You do make a good point though. Without fellowship training, patients don't know what they're getting, and with the way things are, on occassion, even with fellowship training patients don't know what they're getting.

Post pulled given moderator comments. It's obvious that this post hurt an innocent person, who unlike the post below is actually a good person who is fine to work with, is not narcissistic, would easily graduate based on the standards, is much easier to get along with than what's posted below and has friends that will back him up.

I surfed in and saw my program being discussed. After reading everything I felt obliged to type something out. This turned out to be very long so I'll let this stand for itself....

....Spine care rotation: This is a good place to see how a clinic should be set up to work. It is owned and run by neurosurgery which is why it runs better than anything in our dept and/or throughout MCW. The Neurosurg dept does This place is not proactive or progressive enough to be top tier anytime soon. Once residents understand the deal here, they accept it, work within the system and move on. This type of situation occurs at many places from what I hear.

Hope that helps!

All this confusion surrounding MCW is enough to make me forget that I even interviewed there. Sadly, many of the points addressed in the post to which I'm replying, were the red flags I wrote down... of course, I didn't realize the possible entent to which these red flags are truly red. Hmmmm... the position on my list was already set in stone... now i have to decide to include it at all. ???:confused:

my question is though...

is MCWPMRES = asdfasdf??

my question is though...

is MCWPMRES = asdfasdf??

they do not appear to be coming from the same IP address.

I think MCWPMRRES's posts contain a lot more info than what a med student would be able to obtain even after a rotation.

One should always keep in mind that these posts reflect people's opinions and that they should all be taken with a grain of salt. Try to piece all your information (info you got during your interview, opinions of med students who rotated there, opinions of residents, and your "gut feeling") together to come up with an idea of the program.

I can second the opinion about Dr. Wertsch since one of our grads rotated with her for a month and was raving about her.

Hi,

This is one of moderators. I'd like to remind all forum participants of the SDN Usage Policies and Terms of Service:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/faq.php?faq=about_sdn#faq_sdn_terms_of_service

Member Names and Personal Information

Please refrain from using offensive names and never post a message under another person's name or pretending to be another person. When posting a message to a Student Doctor Network forum, your member name, username and email address will be displayed publicly unless you select otherwise during the registration process or in your user profile. You should always exercise judgment when revealing personal information about yourself when you post messages in public forums. Additionally, users who are aware of another user's personal information (including name and location) must respect that user's privacy and not reveal his or her personal information on the boards. For more information, please read the Student Doctor Network Privacy Policy.

People posting on SDN may self-reveal biographic information to varying degrees. Please refrain from posting content that inadvertantly identifies or reveals biographic infomation about other users.

Thanks...you may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Post pulled above given moderator comments. It's obvious that this post hurt an innocent person, who unlike the post below is actually a good person who is fine to work with, is not narcissistic, would easily graduate based on the standards, is much easier to get along with than what's posted above and has friends that will back him up.

(since Dude100 chose to erase all of his posts, I am deleting my response to him - the material is now irrelevent.)

As far as all the med students go, interviewing is the same the world over – no matter what field you're in – because every employer and every interviewee wants to impress each other so they can each get the "best" of the lot. The fact is that you will have to work with people, and no matter how many nice, great & talented people you meet, you WILL end up working with someone you don't like and can't get along with – especially in a big "company".

If you don't like your choice for any reason, you have the right to adapt, transfer, change fields or leave. The fact is, Residency and Fellowships are not the end all, be all – it's just part of the journey, and no – it's not going to be perfect or even comfortable all the time. If you are worried about your choices, then go ahead and find as many people as you can to do one-on-one informational interviews with – people currently in or just out of the program. If you're still worried in your gut and you have other choices, then don't go – it's that simple.

Good luck to all the med students out there and remember – Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. You get a lot more great surprises along the way instead of disappointment that you didn't get exactly what you wanted.[/SIZE]