MCW milwaukee-no PM&R journals in lib??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue angel

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whoa....can you believe this?? MCW main library has no PM&R journals ( in print or online !):eek: I had just been ther to browse through a few journals & was shocked to find only the archives-1950s-60s.

makes me wonder what kind of residency program do they have ??either nobody reads the journals or nobody from the dept cares to order ! surprisingly the library had all the other jornals (including indian & chinese journals).

I really think its a very very laid back program,with not a lot of work to do; coz in which other program do you get ALL the residents joining the interviewees for lunch !In other programs only 1-2 residents cud join us at a time, with busy inpatients or clinics in between !

I think it is a very average,low key program; ranked nowhere on any charts ! but hey,milwaukee sure is a great city with chicago within an hour's drive.
GL with the match !

Members don't see this ad.

I am a student at MCW and I am sitting in the library right now. The MCW library has subscriptions to all major PM&R journals (Archives of PM&R American Journal of PM&R, Spine, Spinal Cord, Pain etc. etc.) I am not sure how you attempted to find them, but electronic access is immediately available from the library's main page. In addition to the school library, print versions of the journals are available in the PM&R department conference room/library.
With regards to the residents' workload, they probably work 50-60 hours a week, which is pretty average from what I here. Certain rotations are pretty easy, but others are busier. As for all of the residents showing up for lunch with the interviewees, the department is located in the major teaching hospital and Childrens Hospital of Wisconsin is also connected to the building. Residents can walk to the department for lunch from anywhere within these hospitals and be back to the wards/clinics in minutes. The VA is only 10 minutes away. Furthermore they enjoy talking to the interviewees and answering any questions they have. Many departments limit time interviewees spend alone with residents. It is a very laid back program though.

I have to agree with JEB - MCW has all the major PM&R and related journals readily available for the residents' use. I don't know where blue angel got his/her information, but it almost seems as though the post is trying to be inflammatory. I usually wouldn't even address this post, but as one of blue angel's few correct statements points out, MCW's PM&R department is not often mentioned in reviews, likely for various reasons (which I would be happy to talk to anybody about it over PM). I believe it to be an up & coming program with plenty of enthusiastic teachers and excellent resources, and I just wanted to be sure that any talk that MCW gets on this board includes correct pieces of information. It is a laid-back program, but I envision the degree to which it is laid-back changing somewhat in the coming years. If anybody would like any more info on MCW's program, feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a student at MCW and I am sitting in the library right now. The MCW library has subscriptions to all major PM&R journals (Archives of PM&R American Journal of PM&R, Spine, Spinal Cord, Pain etc. etc.) I am not sure how you attempted to find them, but electronic access is immediately available from the library's main page. In addition to the school library, print versions of the journals are available in the PM&R department conference room/library.
With regards to the residents' workload, they probably work 50-60 hours a week, which is pretty average from what I here. Certain rotations are pretty easy, but others are busier. As for all of the residents showing up for lunch with the interviewees, the department is located in the major teaching hospital and Childrens Hospital of Wisconsin is also connected to the building. Residents can walk to the department for lunch from anywhere within these hospitals and be back to the wards/clinics in minutes. The VA is only 10 minutes away. Furthermore they enjoy talking to the interviewees and answering any questions they have. Many departments limit time interviewees spend alone with residents. It is a very laid back program though.

I'd respectfully disagree with JEB4 and bxg205.
You don't want to be fooled by every resident showing up for the interview. Just as it's bad when you see one or two or worse yet zero residents during the interview, it's also bad when you see everyone. It's well known across many residencies that it may be a requirement for everyone to show up at an interview and then everyone's afraid of saying anything negative because there's someone there who'll report what happened to the PD, etc. That's usually your warning that a program can have some tough politics. Also, never live in one city with the idea of commuting to another city to have fun. It just doesn't happen. Any backup for the claim that MCW has "plenty of enthusiastic teachers"??? My understanding is that the first sentence of the last paragraph in blue angel's post sums it up.

I didn't say anything about the journals. That like a bathroom not having toilet paper... Not something I addressed in my post. Please take a deep breath, sit back and re-read my posts. I'm sorry you took offense to them but they do detail the way some programs put their best foot forward. Right or Wrong, that's what goes on. I'll comment more on the main board.