I, with MCAT 26, am allowed to have hope here??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timelyjeez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:(

Members don't see this ad.

I met a non URM a couple of weeks ago at a very good med school with an MCAT of 25. I don't know what else was on his application, but apparently people *do* get into medical school with MCAT scores in that range. Good luck!

timely--

what's your GPA/extra curriculars? if you've saved orphans in some african nation, you definitly still have a chance of getting in...the hurdle, however, will be quite high

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps he rescues babies from burning buildings in his off time, has cured cancer (he is waiting to publish until after he graduates), speaks 7 languages, and donated a new wing to the university's hospital.

Seriously OP, there is always hope. What is your GPA and how are your ECs?

YOU CAN DO IT:

2006 Class Profile for the University of Michigan Medical School

Admissions Summary

* Number applying in 2006: 4787
* Number interviewed: 781
* Number of students in the class: 170
* Science GPA range: 2.61-4.00
* Total GPA range: 2.87-4.00
* MCAT total score range: 8.00-14.33

http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/admissions/life/diversity.htm

There's always hope, but not quite security. I suggest retaking at a time when u know u will be able to give it your all. If you have a good GPA (3.6+) and score a 28 or 29 you should be in good shape, and gaining a few points the second time around is definitely possible.

It is well below average for matriculants, so you would need to be the exception to the rule. And it would need to be very balanced, or you have multiple hurdles. Sometimes exceptions get lucky, so I suppose you can hope. But the odds are not exactly on your side, as you probably know. Your best bet is the retake.

as you'll learn, the proces if variable....and the MCAT is only a piece of pie. As an applicant, your GPA, extracurriculars, and letters of rec are also considered (among other things....)

Having said this, you need to look at yourself holistically and see how everything comes together....and go from there..... :)

any other thoughts?

My goal of this post is not to make any racial attacks, but if you are a white kid and you have a 26 your fighting an uphill battle, if you can get an interview try to show them how much you want this. GL

oh yes there is a chance. but if you were playing poker you would not play with that hand. retake, apply you be fine...or go the DO route

so...what about with that but English is not my first language (VR=6), (though BS and PS is only 9 and 11),

GPA 3.53 composite; (Orgo B/C+ (Lab A/A-)pulled me down but physics and engin courses mostly As)
Physics/ Chemical Engin Major

Lots of leadership work
shadowing
volunteering
clinical research
1-2 term length research projects

Then... what do you think?

There's always hope.

I have an allo interview with my 2.7 GPA and 25Q MCAT. I only applied to two schools this year while I'm doing a postbacc and preparing for the April 2007 MCAT...and if I don't get in I'll apply to MD, DO, Caribbean, and potentially Dental schools next cycle. It all works out in the end if you want it badly enough.

Don't give up :thumbup:

Congratulations! I'm sure you're giving a lot of people with lower GPAs some good news by posting this. Do you mind if I ask where your interview is? Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure you're giving a lot of people with lower GPAs some good news by posting this.

I've never quite understood why people think this. Every person is individually evaluated and it's unlikely that someone with low stats getting interviewed makes it more likely that another will. In fact, the odds are probably lower since only a few people get to be exceptions each cycle, and this person is taking one of those longshot slots.

One other consideration is what state you are in. If you are in CA - then I would say your chances are much much lower than if you are from Mississippi. One other thing to remember - a great MCAT/GPA and great extracurriculars are NOT mutually exclusive. There are many people with ECs just as great as yours with higher MCAT scores, so I would strongly consider retaking that MCAT.

Your MCAT is on the low side. Check out MSAR, they have a graph indicating what how many people with these scores were accepted. A 25 is not good but you still have a chance IF your GPA and everything else is super and you don't live in one of those states with super hard to get into state med schools.

A friend of mine got an acceptance with a 25 in Nov (good GPA, solid ECA, a top tiered undergrad) into a state school. I do not want to give more details, but the point is there is hope! Apply to wide range of schools, especially state schools. Many medical schools truly look at the whole person not just the scores, but you have to be persistant and fight for a spot. I would still prepare to take the MCAT again, but call the schools you applied to and make contacts with other offices in the school of medicine, for instance the Office of Diversity if you are a minority. Best of luck!

Study your butt off and retake the MCAT. Don't take the test until you're getting 30+ on practice exams.

I applied the first time around in 2005 with a 26, great GPA, mediocre EC...got 4 interviews...never got in. I highly suggest retaking, but it is possible you just have to have that extra 'umph'...I'm now going for round 2 with a higher MCAT and a masters degree.

Good luck!

I met a non URM a couple of weeks ago at a very good med school with an MCAT of 25. I don't know what else was on his application, but apparently people *do* get into medical school with MCAT scores in that range. Good luck!

i see what you did there.

Here, with a 26, you will get no hope. However, nobody here is on an adcomm so their opinions are just that. Everybody has a chance, albeit some better.

Never listen to the fools who tell you to not bother applying!

Never listen to the fools who tell you to not bother applying!

Actually, if you haven't already applied with a 26, you really should retake. It would be more fool-hardy to just apply -- no point winging it and making yourself a reapplicant, which can be a harder road. This system rewards those who get all their ducks in a row before pulling the trigger.

Actually, if you haven't already applied with a 26, you really should retake. It would be more fool-hardy to just apply -- no point winging it and making yourself a reapplicant, which can be a harder road. This system rewards those who get all their ducks in a row before pulling the trigger.

strongly agree:
My MCAT 2005, 26-applied to 4 schools, 0 interviews
2006, 33-applied to 30 schools, 15 interviews, 6 acceptances

I clearly should have just not taken the 2005 MCAT and would not have had to explain myself, although I dont think it really hurt me in my second time around.

strongly agree:
My MCAT 2005, 26-applied to 4 schools, 0 interviews
2006, 33-applied to 30 schools, 15 interviews, 6 acceptances

I clearly should have just not taken the 2005 MCAT and would not have had to explain myself, although I dont think it really hurt me in my second time around.

Well, you can't draw any conclusions from your statement seeing as how you applied to 8 times the number of schools the 2nd time.

You are just talking about your MCAT score here. There are many many factors that are considered. GPA, MCAT, EC's, home-state public schools, etc.
26 MCAT with a 3.8GPA and good EC's will get you somewhere.
26 MCAT with a 3.0GPA and average EC's won't.

This is the wrong place to ask for advice about getting in, in my honest opinion. Everybody here paints a really negative picture about acceptances, possibly to discourage people from applying and bettering their chances (albeit by a negligible amount). These people don't know you and are basing your admission on a number!

State schools are also important, as I just found out last night that every Missouri resident that applies to the UM-Columbia gets a secondary application (they call it having your file opened). That makes a huge difference, especially if you have lower-then-average stats in one or more areas.

don't loss hope, haha i got like a 26 on my first mcat, i put a little effort into it (ie. actually cared to review for two weeks), got a 34, so you should be fine if not now, at least when you improve hehe.

This is one of the best advice on this thread. People who want to just 'wing it' on their application should really rethink the strategy. Some schools have limits on how many times you can apply to med school.

You are just talking about your MCAT score here. There are many many factors that are considered. GPA, MCAT, EC's, home-state public schools, etc.
26 MCAT with a 3.8GPA and good EC's will get you somewhere.
26 MCAT with a 3.0GPA and average EC's won't.

This is the wrong place to ask for advice about getting in, in my honest opinion. Everybody here paints a really negative picture about acceptances, possibly to discourage people from applying and bettering their chances (albeit by a negligible amount). These people don't know you and are basing your admission on a number!

State schools are also important, as I just found out last night that every Missouri resident that applies to the UM-Columbia gets a secondary application (they call it having your file opened). That makes a huge difference, especially if you have lower-then-average stats in one or more areas.

You are correct that GPA is important but my personal experience indicates that a 26 means your chances are significantly slimmer and just randomly applying for a long shot is not good as reapplicants are looked upon differently by med schools (some will not accept people who have reapplied more than twice).

Also, not all state schools are created equal. Cali state schools, and state schools on the west coast in general, are very, very hard to get into. I don't know how far along you are on your application, but in case you weren't aware of this, most schools will give you a secondary....a secondary means NOTHING. Some state schools will even interview if you have certain stats. Indiana states that instaters are automatically interviewed if they score 23 MCAT or above and have a minimal of 3.2 GPA but their matriculant still have average MCAt of 30 and GPA of 3.7.

Again, secondaries means nothing, and for some schools, even garnering an interview doesn't mean you are 'in the good' for an acceptance. A 26 is a big maybe unless your other stuff is really good AND you have a good state school who likes instaters. That's a lot of maybes to contend with. Better to just retry the MCAT and try to go for a higher MCAT. People say med school don't care about stats, but that's not correct. Med schools don't want stats to be the ONLY thing you have going for yourself....they also want to see ECs, clinicals etc. But none of that really replaces mediocre stats.

Yes you do have hope as long as the rest of your app is solid. I had interviews from 4 competitive schools with an MCAT score less than yours but a high GPA. So, it can be done:luck:

I've never quite understood why people think this. Every person is individually evaluated and it's unlikely that someone with low stats getting interviewed makes it more likely that another will. In fact, the odds are probably lower since only a few people get to be exceptions each cycle, and this person is taking one of those longshot slots.

Although this a post is a real buzz kill, I have to agree with Law2Doc's logic. Consider it uplifting, positive news if you apply next year.

Yes you do have hope as long as the rest of your app is solid. I had interviews from 4 competitive schools with an MCAT score less than yours but a high GPA. So, it can be done:luck:

I mean, its possible (see person quoted above), but don't get your hopes up too high. I have a 27R, a good gpa from a top 10 school, very excellent ECs, several publications, good LORs, and so far have received 4 rejections, one hold, and 0 interviews. I mean, its not over yet, bc I was an august mcater, but I'm not holding my breath for an acceptance at this point and am retaking the MCAT in january. You might want to start considering retaking the mcat at some point in case you don't get in this cycle.
good luck.

You know, I really was convinced that people don't actually get scores that high. I pretty much believed that no one scores a 15 on any section EVER. Apparently not the case :eek:

Yes, people do make perfect scores on individual sections. They're the ones taking seats from us mere mortals. :D

That's funny... everything that I have heard indicates that medical schools give reapplicants a softer look. I've heard this from a dean of admission, adcom's, etc. that they really like to see reapplicants.

Of course, they all also say that they like to see pretty much every average Joe retake the MCAT (as in, if you are <32, retake it).

i'm in the same boat with my 26. i'm praying that the rest of my app will be looked on favorably but who knows. whats in my favor? a high GPA in a Masters program, mucho clinical experience, really good LOR, volunteering, shadowing, musical interests, working with patients in my full time job....i've done enough self-doubting with my scores but if the day comes that i have an interview at an MD school, I sure as hell am going to make it clear that i'm more than that 26!

p.s. i took the MCAT in 2002 and bombed a 21. this time i was averaging 30 on my practice tests and landed a 26...so retaking wasn't going to do me much good. just not a test savvy person. some people aren't

I think JPHAZELTON is a troll!! He is engaging in DO bashing, anyone else smell a troll???

I agree. He says he's from PCOM, but what people don't know is that stands for Pete's Car-O-Mania in Conshohocken. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's funny... everything that I have heard indicates that medical schools give reapplicants a softer look. I've heard this from a dean of admission, adcom's, etc. that they really like to see reapplicants.

From the people I've spoken with, I believe you've talked to and read the minority position, not the rule. Reapplicants usually have to show more substantial improvement on their apps then what might likely have gotten them a look the first time around. People do get in as reapplicants, but it is a harder road.

Is this person for real?

I take offense to you bashing DO's and indicating that they are lower than MD's, whats your problem, 18 mcat and a pulse, that ridiculous. I know alot of people who can get an 18 and have a pulse but would not get into some DO schools. God, you people make me so mad, where do you get off??? I hope you like the president your setting. Is someone going to do anything about this??? This mans a troll...A TROLL! HEs trolling!!!

I take offense to you bashing DO's and indicating that they are lower than MD's, whats your problem, 18 mcat and a pulse, that ridiculous. I know alot of people who can get an 18 and have a pulse but would not get into some DO schools. God, you people make me so mad, where do you get off??? I hope you like the president your setting. Is someone going to do anything about this??? This mans a troll...A TROLL! HEs trolling!!!

As even a brief check of his post history would tell you, JPHazelton is a 5th year OMM fellow at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. Hardly a DO-bashing troll ...

Learn to recognize sarcasm when you see it ...

I think he was being sarcastic...don't take it too seriously

Hey NOOB...drop a few more than 25 posts before you start calling Hazelton a troll. You have no idea what you are talking about. I am all about the DO route and there was absolutely NO OFFENSE taken here. Attend those remedial posting classes that apparently you have been skipping...you just may learn something about emoticons.

Of course, they all also say that they like to see pretty much every average Joe retake the MCAT (as in, if you are <32, retake it).

Adcoms aren't mean to reapplicants but they expect to see 'improvements' to reapplicants. In other words, you can't just apply and flip burgers on the side, you have to show that you are doing something to improve your application. What others are saying about why reapplying is harder is that you will be expected to 'do something' for their application, and not sit on random chance that this time, the application will be accepted. In other words, your application will be flagged as a reapply and they expect something from being a reapplicant. It's just better to get everything right the first time and apply then, makes the process go smoother.