Cadaver dissections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, when a school has prosections they're still using cadavers right? Or am I confused?

yes, they are just cut open already with fascia removed.

Members don't see this ad.

yes, they are just cut open already with fascia removed.

That's essentially correct, but maybe a little too simplistic of an answer. Yes, there are cadavers, but most of the "work" of cutting that you would be doing when you go into lab has already been done for you. It's just like going back to the lab at the end of the day to look at the structures that you or your team cut away earlier. However, there will often be someone (at my school a 2nd year student or professor) who is dissecting during your lab session.

You still get to "dig in" up to your elbows if you want and play around with the cadavers. Then, the next fay when you come in, more of the body will be exposed and you can play around with the new stuff too.

Thanks! That's what I thought but I was confused because Kappy said they use cadavers over prosection.

Members don't see this ad :)
...I was confused because Kappy said they use cadavers over prosection.

Thta's not surprising because people who have never used prosections don't really know how it works. I didn't know before I got to school. I'd heard people talk about it, but really didn't know much. To me it was great because I didn't have to spend hours doing the "grunt" work and we were able to finish Anatomy/Histology/Embryology in ten weeks. I got to see lots of cool pathology and get really dirty without spending hours twidling my thumbs waiting for something interesting to happen. To me, prosection is just maximizing my lab time.

Of course, that might not be the way for everyone. I've cut up lots of things in biology labs in the past and I'm not very good at it. I'll never become a surgeon-- that's pretty obvious. It's also interesting to look at a cadaver that one of the professors (WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT HE WAS DOING)has dissected, compared to one that students were working on. Either way, you can learn the relevant anatomy.

Thta's not surprising because people who have never used prosections don't really know how it works. I didn't know before I got to school. I'd heard people talk about it, but really didn't know much. To me it was great because I didn't have to spend hours doing the "grunt" work and we were able to finish Anatomy/Histology/Embryology in ten weeks. I got to see lots of cool pathology and get really dirty without spending hours twidling my thumbs waiting for something interesting to happen. To me, prosection is just maximizing my lab time.

Of course, that might not be the way for everyone. I've cut up lots of things in biology labs in the past and I'm not very good at it. I'll never become a surgeon-- that's pretty obvious. It's also interesting to look at a cadaver that one of the professors (WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT HE WAS DOING)has dissected, compared to one that students were working on. Either way, you can learn the relevant anatomy.

Thanks for the input scpod! When my husband was in med school before they had prosection and he really felt like it allowed more time to learn. He spoke with other med students who did dissection and they talked about dissecting then spending more time learning for hours upon hours every week. He really prefers prosection and I prefer it also after what I have learned from everyone so far.

Thanks! That's what I thought but I was confused because Kappy said they use cadavers over prosection.

What I meant by that was that you get to do the dissection yourself and I was able to find an abnormality.