2008-2009 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay....by request, here is the 2008-2009 Application thread. Below I included some useful links for people. Please feel free to suggest others that you think would be good to include in either section, and I can add them. Good luck all! -t

Good Information Threads
Advice From Prof. For Applicants To Ph.D. Programs
What Would You Have Done Differently?
Interview Bloopers
Most Underrated Programs

Previous Year(s) Threads

2007-2008 Where Will You Be Attending In Fall 2008 Thread
2007-2008 Official Acceptance Thread
2007-2008 Interview Aftermath Thread
2007-2008 Canadian Applicant Thread

2007-2008 Village of the Dinged / Rejection Thread
2007-2008 I Got Rejected From More Programs Than You / Rejection Humor Thread
2006-2008 Social / Personality / Cognitive / Developmental / Experimental Thread
2006-2007 Official Decision Thread

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yay!

I'll be applying to PhD programs in Clin Psych ~ General area of interest = Anxiety and Anxiety Disorders

Status right now: GRE studier (or at least will be starting May 9th -- my last exam)
Soon to be PS writer, LOR contacter, application forms downloader.

Mood state = nervous!

Wow this makes me feel old :p The last round of apps just finished up (soooooo happy to be done! until internship time that is...) and already the next batch is gearing up for a round of apps/interviews/decisions. Best of luck everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying this fall to clinical psychology PhD programs with neuropsychology concentrations.

Current status: studying for the GRE, finishing up my thesis for the MA program that I'm in, studying for comps, applying to practicum site.

I need to be working on: obtaining LORs, writing PS, saving $ for app. fees, and contacting POIs at prospective PhD programs that match my research interests.

Best of luck to us all.

Okay....by request, here is the 2008-2009 Application thread. Below I included some useful links for people. Please feel free to suggest others that you think would be good to include in either section, and I can add them. Good luck all! -t
Thanks, T4C! Its going to be a "fun" few months ahead! :)

Wow, so early! But it will be nice seeing who else will be posting with tons of stress running through them in the next 7-10 months.

I will be applying to Ph.D. & Psy.D. programs in Counseling Psychology.

Current Status: Graduating in TEN days with my Master's in Counseling! Looking for a practicum site and beginning a CAGS, Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study, program in Counseling this Fall.

Current Mood: Not even thinking about the application process. Maybe after summer?:)

Jon

Woohoo hello to future (hopeful) enrolling class of 2009 :D! I'm applying to PhD (equal emphasis)and Psyd clinical programs mostly. My research interests include LGBT mental health issues, particularly depression and anxiety disorders, neuropsychology, and forensic psychology.

I'm a junior undergraduate right now getting some research experience under my belt. I do plan on applying this fall but I can handle the rejection if I don't make it, because I think I'll be a much stronger contender after my undergrad is complete anyway.

Studying for GRE right now, working in 2 research labs. Mostly worried about strong letters of rec.

I've been working on the whole grad school thing since January and I still feel so behind. *nervous*

Applying to colleges in and around New Jersey, New York and PA. My interest is in Clinical Psychology. I have just taken my GRE Psy and am awaiting results. I am preparing for my GRE general. Have contacted some places for opportunities in research :confused:.

Area of interest: Anxiety - more specifically GAD, maligering on personality tests or assessment inventories

Current status = studying for GREs (like SIB tho, won't start until end of today 11:59 pm).
Future goals = write PS, ask LORs for recs, and decide exactly which schools to apply to

Mood state: Terrified

Hi everyone :D I'm planning on applying to Clinical PhD programs. My research interest is mindfulness.

Took the GRE once but plan on retaking it. After finals are over, I will be taking GRE tutoring in hopes of raising my score. Also doing research; I was just made the leader of one of our research projects in the lab I'm in, and I'm also developing my own study to hopefully run this fall. Taking the Subject GRE this fall. I'm a junior in college right now. Don't think I'll get in this time around, so my backup plan is to work as an RA for a few years and then reapply.

kudos to all of you taking the subject gre now, instead of waiting!!!

i waited, and while i did quite well, i only had 3 weeks to study for the subject test, and if i didn't do well, i wouldn not have been able to take it again before apps. that was bad planning on my part.

totally do what you can to reduce your stress now before application season swings into action -- you will be so glad you did!

Ahh... it's completely terrifying to me that after several months of lurking, reading, and learning on this forum, I'm actually in this group of applicants...!!

I'll be applying this fall for clinical PhD programs. I have 4 schools chosen so far, and plan to add 8-10 to that list, so I'm obviously still very much in the process of researching schools.

I took the psych GRE about a month ago and am still awaiting the results, and I'm in the early stages of super-studying for the general test, which I plan to take in mid-late August. I have 3 separate research projects under my belt, one of which is a study I designed (data collection starts next week!)... my biggest goal right now is getting a conference and/or publication, so hopefully it will at least be in the works by application time. We had some seriously unfortunate and frustrating delays getting through IRB for our study, which put us out of the running for conferences this spring... disappointing!

Aaanyway... my current mood would easily be classified as "utterly horrified and unsure." I'm extremely anxious about the GRE, but confident that I'll get fantastic LORs, and at least preparing what POIs I'm going to contact (though I don't plan to do that until late summer).

And, by the way, my primary area of interest (for both research and practice) is emotional reactivity/intensity, emotional regulation, and alexithymia as they relate to self-injurious behaviors (non-BPD).

SO! That's where I am at the moment. Looking forward to getting to know the rest of you in this applicant pool... good luck to all!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I am a junior right now, and looking at clinical health programs. Currently, I am getting ready to start applying to schools this fall.

Right Now: researching, preparing to present my own independent research study at the end of the month, getting ready to conduct an honors thesis nxt year, looking at schools that I am contemplating applying to, and memorizing GRE words. I will be taking a GRE prep course around mid august ,and will take the GRE right after that's done.

Need: to start studying for the psych GRE (will hopefully take that late summer), contacting POI's, write my PS, hone on the programs I know I will be applying to.

AWWW Islandgirl1 is right. I'm scared too. But you know - we're all in this together.

I did not take the GRE Psych.... it was an added stress that I didn't want to deal with. Looking back, I think it would have strengthened my application some and I would have been able to apply to some schools that required it...but I still did fine in the admissions process without it.

Last edited:
For those of you looking to take prep courses for the GRE. I've taken both Kaplan and Princeton Review....IMHO PR is much better with smaller class size (only 5 in my PR class compared to 50 in Kaplan) which means more one on one time with teacher/coach and they use test questions from the actual GRE as opposed to Kaplan which makes up their own questions.

I did not take the GRE Psych.... it was an added stress that I didn't want to deal with. Looking back, I think it would have strengthened my application some and I would have been able to apply to some schools that required it...but I still did fine in the admissions process without it.

Just my $.02. Goodluck.

as i have posted in other threads, i found kaplan to be a waste of $$$. the book they give you is the same as the 25$ one you can buy at B&N, and the prof justs reads from the book, so what the hey. smaller class size would have been nice, as my needs from the class were different than most of the other students (i needed math help, and i was applying to a more competitive program than most others, thus needed higher scores than them) and so didn;t get addressed.

the psych gre was, to me, a breeze, and i hadn't taken a psych class in 10 years. studied 2 diff intro books pretty intensely for 3 weeks, as well as 2 different prep books, got a 90%. if you're good at multiple choice tests, which i am, then you should be fine (as long as you study!)

as i have posted in other threads, i found kaplan to be a waste of $$$. the book they give you is the same as the 25$ one you can buy at B&N, and the prof justs reads from the book, so what the hey. smaller class size would have been nice, as my needs from the class were different than most of the other students (i needed math help, and i was applying to a more competitive program than most others, thus needed higher scores than them) and so didn;t get addressed.

the psych gre was, to me, a breeze, and i hadn't taken a psych class in 10 years. studied 2 diff intro books pretty intensely for 3 weeks, as well as 2 different prep books, got a 90%. if you're good at multiple choice tests, which i am, then you should be fine (as long as you study!)

So true! I just needed a solid math review and strategies to help cut down on time, and we didn't even go over any math until the very end. And even that review was pathetic. If you need a good review, don't use kaplan

Also, if you need to learn vocab words this class doesn't help much because they make the vocab words for you. I find making notecards myself reinforces the information much better than just reading it off a card.

Thanks T4C... it's great to have all of those resource threads easily at hand.

From my other post, just tucked in with the others to officially join the team...

About me:
  • I guess I'm officially non-trad (29 yrs old)
  • previous grad study (MSW)
  • undergrad background (elem edu/psych)
  • research completed (psychopharm/SSRI, kinship care, health disparities, PTSD-- no off campus publications)
  • research interests (rural health, STRONGLY in favor of further research concerning supposed early onset of severe and persistent mental illness in children/adolescents, effects of mental health crises on academic performance, interventions in children of the severe and persistently mentally ill, etc)
  • likely applications: School Psych PsyD, School Psych PhD, School Psych, M.Ed., Clinical PsyD, Combined-Integrated School/Clinical PsyD, Combined Counseling/School PhD (more or less, still reviewing programs)
  • mid-low range competitive app (transcript concerns)
  • 1 previous Clinical PsyD app, waitlisted @ midwest school that was a great match for me when I had a health focus
Mood: eh, I'm ok, I have some family stuff going on so that's my main concern and I'm typically mellow re: school stuff anyway.

I need to retake my GRE, I think the scores have expired. I might retake Psych GRE... do those scores expire?

I'm planning Summer I, Summer II, and Fall classes... I am obtaining additional license for my current grad degree and though it only requires a couple of classes, I figured I might as well toss in as many as I can toward the new field concentration.

I've started reviewing programs but have only made a few contacts. I haven't started studying, writing, or rounding up LOR's... mainly just trying to frame up a timeline right now.

Looking forward to going through this with each of you!

It seems like the GRE is a commonly discussed "hurdle" on this thread. I take it in August (3rd time) and hopefully I will do better this time. I just can't get motivated to study for it. I'veb een telling myself since December that I'll start studying tomorrow and now it's May.

I also took a class (Powerscore) and it was OK, but the person teaching the course was pompous and kept refering to how easy the GRE is and that we have nothing to worry about. That being said, they scored 99th percentile. Ugh!

This can't be all...where is everyone, people come join!

I'll be applying for my second round this year. One piece of advice: don't limit yourself to a small geographic area. I only applied to 2 schools and didn't get in and now I regret not applying more widely.

This can't be all...where is everyone, people come join!

Patience! :p There's typically a bump in posts early to mid-fall semester (when more people start to think "d'oh! I should be researching what I'm supposed to be doing in order to apply"). 'Tis still early yet.

hey, I am here.
I am working gre, and planning to work at least 8 months because ı am not native. ı quit my job because ı need time to study gre.
ı am really sick of memorising barrons at this time and began to loose my motivation.
ı think ı cant catch 2009 applications with a good gre score, so ı am planning to catch the 2010 semester.
the only thing ı am focused on is vocabulary recently
:oops:(
need motivation :S
good luck to everyone

What's your native language? The good news about the GRE verbal section is that it's designed so that most native English-speakers don't know the words - it's largely based on root words, most of which are derived from latin. So, if you speak French, Spanish, Italian, etc., you actually have a little bit of an edge in some ways!

hey, I am here.
I am working gre, and planning to work at least 8 months because ı am not native. ı quit my job because ı need time to study gre.
ı am really sick of memorising barrons at this time and began to loose my motivation.
ı think ı cant catch 2009 applications with a good gre score, so ı am planning to catch the 2010 semester.
the only thing ı am focused on is vocabulary recently
:oops:(
need motivation :S
good luck to everyone

It is the number of admissions offered to applicants versus the actual number who accepted (who ended up going to the school).

Thanks. I feel like an idiot for asking, but the way they word it just makes their admissions rate seem smaller.

Applying This Fall!!
I'm a Canadian student applying to a number of schools in Canada and even more in the States! My first time applying and I'm verrryyy nervous about the whole process.

Currently, I'm studying for my GREs :mad::(...

Applying this fall for 2009. Doing research, working P/T (GO min. wage!), taking GRE in August, and Psyc GRE in Oct or Nov and so I definitely feel the time crunch! I don't know if I can do the P/T min wage thing another year as I am living off savings :mad:, so I hope I get in! :laugh:

Back to where I'm at:

Currently: STUDYING FOR GREs, working research positions

Mood State: Feeling Fearful of the GRE (fearing even more that the realness of having to take them Aug 30th hasn't hit me yet)

Should be: Studying more for the GRE, getting a couple of things done for my research project

Plan to: Stop wasting soooooooo much time on SDN

Trying to: decide on who to ask for letters for grad school

That plan...the one to stop spending so much time on SDN...not working

Quick question. What is the difference in Full Disclosure data, between "Number Accepted for Admission" and "Number Actually Admitted," for example on the Kansas Website:

http://www.psych.ku.edu/clinprog/admissions.shtml

It is the number of admissions offered to applicants versus the actual number who accepted (who ended up going to the school).

Thanks. I feel like an idiot for asking, but the way they word it just makes their admissions rate seem smaller.

Technically, they do (did) not plan on accepting the number of students under the column that indicates the number of admissions offered. If they offer one of the original spots to someone who declines it, then they still have to consider that as an offers admission. So, even if they only planned on accepting 8 students, their offered admissions number could be 15-20 because perhaps they had to go that far down on their waitlist to fill the incoming cohort. In other words, they didn't plan on accepting 15-20, only the original 8, but they had to pull 7-12 people off the waitlist to get that 8.

You're not an idiot--they simply like to be confusing. :p

Hey, I've been lurking for a while, but it's finally time to come out of the woodwork. I'm going to be applying for the 2008-09 year as well and I'm quite nervous about the whole process. I'll be applying to clinical programs with an emphasis on neuropsych. Anyone else in the neuropsych boat with me? This site has already been a wonderful help, however.

I do have one question: What is the general attitude toward students who decide to take a year off between finishing undergrad and applying for PhD programs in clinical? Can I take the GRE's, get my LOR, and then hold onto them until next year to apply? I want to spend a year travelling, possibly working in a lab somewhere, and just experiencing the world before I get tied down somewhere.

Anyway, I look forward to alleviating eachothers' anxiety for the next 8 months...:)

I do have one question: What is the general attitude toward students who decide to take a year off between finishing undergrad and applying for PhD programs in clinical? Can I take the GRE's, get my LOR, and then hold onto them until next year to apply? I want to spend a year travelling, possibly working in a lab somewhere, and just experiencing the world before I get tied down somewhere.

Welcome!

The general consensus is that time off is a good thing, especially if it's spent doing research/getting clinical experience, etc. It seems like for most programs, not taking time off can actually put an applicant at a disadvantage. Not that folks can't or don't get in straight out of undergrad, but most people do take some time off.

Hello SDN! I've been lurking on this forum for a ridiculous amount of time, but always felt too shy (and underqualified) to post. But, when I saw this thread go up, finally decided it was time to capitulate and register. I'm excited to get to know you guys as we go through this painful experience together! So, about me-

Applying to: clinical psych, mainly PhDs, to labs with an emphasis on borderline personality disorder, suicide, or suicidality.
Finished: Psych gre, which schools/labs to apply to, and oh yeah, the BA!
Underway: Studying for the general GRE
Next: Personal statements, asking for letters of rec, and so on...

Current mood: Excited! I've been out of school and building up my credentials for a few years, and I can't wait to get this show on the road. I still can't believe it's FINALLY time to apply! (Don't worry, it'll get back to terror soon enough- :laugh: )

Also, to chime in about time off - I've also heard that the consensus is generally a positive one. But aside from that, I am very glad I took the time. Aside from gaining experience, it allowed me to figure out my areas of interest in a more detailed way than is possible right out of school.

Hello SDN! I've been lurking on this forum for a ridiculous amount of time, but always felt too shy (and underqualified) to post. But, when I saw this thread go up, finally decided it was time to capitulate and register. I'm excited to get to know you guys as we go through this painful experience together!

Awwwwwwww I bet I speak for all of us, yup it's exciting to get to 'know' one another, and we are in this ride together. We'll end up meeting in person some of us I bet at interviews (cause you know, we're all awesome enough to get them)

Also, to chime in about time off - I've also heard that the consensus is generally a positive one. But aside from that, I am very glad I took the time. Aside from gaining experience, it allowed me to figure out my areas of interest in a more detailed way than is possible right out of school.

Piroshki, if you don't mind me asking... What did you do in your time off? Did you spend the whole time working in a university research lab somewhere? If so, is it hard to get a low level research position with only an undergrad degree? I'm thinking I'd like to travel for a couple of months (if I can find money to do it...) and then come back and work in a lab somewhere to build credentials and experience.

Piroshki, if you don't mind me asking... What did you do in your time off? Did you spend the whole time working in a university research lab somewhere? If so, is it hard to get a low level research position with only an undergrad degree? I'm thinking I'd like to travel for a couple of months (if I can find money to do it...) and then come back and work in a lab somewhere to build credentials and experience.

My first job after graduating was front-line clinical work, but I also continued to volunteer as a research assistant at the same lab where I had worked for credit as a student. This allowed me to gain clinical experience, and also more responsibility and experience in the lab. After a year I transitioned into paid research work. I was able to get this through my student research experience, and also using the contacts I had made at that lab. This first position had nothing to do with my interests, but eventually led to more and better research positions that fall exactly within my areas of interest and have given me a fair deal of opportunities. So I didn't find it hard, per se, but I was aided by previous research and clinical experience, and the aid of networking. Your mileage may vary!

So when it comes to your question-
First and foremost, I don't think travel will be a problem. It's a very age appropriate thing to do - I've seen lots of other people take a "research assistant leave of absence" to study or travel abroad. They've always been welcomed back upon their return.

To make things go as smoothly as possible, I would get in touch with anyone who might be able to get you a foot in the door - professors, supervisors, etc - before you go to alert them to your goal, and see if they would keep an eye out for upcoming openings. Some might even alert their peers that they'll have good help available soon. Then, get in touch again shortly before you come back to put your plan into action. I can't understate the importance of networking!

Also, I don't know where you're at, but location is important. It helps to be near a university, medical center, or any other centers to house research labs. If you don't mind relocating, it might help. Finally, don't be afraid to take a less than ideal position at first - either outside of your area of interest, low pay/status, or even volunteer. You can work your way up the pecking order quickly, or get good references for something better.

Good luck, and enjoy travelling! :)

Last edited:
So, since others are divulging about their current state, I feel compelled to share mine as well :) Here's the scoop....

1) Been working the past year and a half as an RA for a research lab at the University of Minnesota. I do MRI research, primarily with a pediatric population.

2) Prior to working where I am currently, I did direct clinical work with young autistic kids for a year. I would have kept at it longer, as it was extremely rewarding and great clinical experience, but I knew I needed more research experience to be competitive when applying to Clinical Psych programs.

3) Currently I'm studying for the GRE. I have memorized most of the vocab in the PR manual, and now I'm working on the roots and math review. I take the test July 19....we'll see how that goes

4) Next up, hopefully I won't need to take the GRE again...but if I do, I should have plenty of time to study and do so. I also have to take the psych general test in October.

5) I plan on applying to programs doing research with a pediatric population, maybe involving some neuroimaging (since my background would help me out with that). Maybe do research involving juvenile delinquents- I'm really interested in psych and law as well. Ideally I could find research that involves both areas :)

So, good luck to everyone !

Therapist4Chnge, I'm not sure where the thread about the most "underrated" programs is, but I think you should put that up with the links at the beginning of this thread. It might be useful information for people applying in 2008-2009.

Thanks!

3) Currently I'm studying for the GRE. I have memorized most of the vocab in the PR manual, and now I'm working on the roots and math review. I take the test July 19....we'll see how that goes

Hey, me too! We'll be taking the GRE on exactly the same day. That's about where the similarities end though...I'm weak on vocab and can't bear to sit down with a stack of flashcards. Solution? Bone up on math! :rolleyes:

Hey, me too! We'll be taking the GRE on exactly the same day. That's about where the similarities end though...I'm weak on vocab and can't bear to sit down with a stack of flashcards. Solution? Bone up on math! :rolleyes:

Yo yo once ya'll are done with the GRE on the 19th, please please post on the tips/tricks thread :p Allllllllll advice and any advice is very welcome.

Hello!

I am applying to Ph.D programs in Clinical; my research focus is intimate relationships/couples/marriage.

I have several, but I'm trying to find more and more programs that have clinical faculty doing such research, its a common focus in social as well.

I think I'll check out the underrated programs thread...It'll be interesting to check out schools that have lower amounts of applicants.

I think I'll check out the underrated programs thread...It'll be interesting to check out schools that have lower amounts of applicants.

Keep in mind that fewer applicants doesn't necessarily equal easier to get into. A lot of programs that have a huge number of applicants (programs in Florida, California, or particularly "desirable" schools) have somewhat inflated applicant numbers due to a fair number of students applying who really want to go to grad school somewhere where's it's, like, sunny and stuff. They're not serious contenders for spots. In contrast, programs in, say, Colorado and Iowa may have fewer applicants, but are much less likely, I think, to have fluffy people applying.

Keep in mind that fewer applicants doesn't necessarily equal easier to get into. A lot of programs that have a huge number of applicants (programs in Florida, California, or particularly "desirable" schools) have somewhat inflated applicant numbers due to a fair number of students applying who really want to go to grad school somewhere where's it's, like, sunny and stuff. They're not serious contenders for spots. In contrast, programs in, say, Colorado and Iowa may have fewer applicants, but are much less likely, I think, to have fluffy people applying.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to allude that they may be easier to get into. Actually, more in line with your second statement. Famous programs and Ivy League schools attract a certain amount of attention that many students will choose to apply to those programs; however lesser known, considered, or rated programs may indeed produce equal if not better training and/or publications. I'm curious to see what some of the lower-applicant programs are producing and providing.

I wonder indeed how many are "fluffy" people? UCLA is a highly rated program, in California, and receive around 400 applicants. I assume that because clinical psychology is such a popular degree, that the high number of applicants is relative to the attraction of the best and the brightest wanting to apply to a top program.

I just have a hard time understanding people who will spend the crazy amount of money it takes to apply to a program that they clearly aren't capable of getting into :confused: