2008-2009 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, here is my status update

-requested to have transcripts sent from all schools I even attended (except from my current school as their system is currently down)- unfortunately I took summer classes at different community colleges which made it a lot more work than I had wished
-requested GRE scores to be sent to all schools
-revised my statement about 3 times after having different people take a look at it
-printed put all the application materials I need for each school
-put together packets for each letter writer and handed them to them (will get everything back by Nov 1st)
- put together all paperwork for the person who officially acts as my sponsor due to my status as international student (which is silly since I am only applying to funded programs but some school have weird requirements)
-studied for the psych GRE (and will devote all my time to that the next 8 days

still to do:
-request transcripts to be sent from my current school
- study for the TOEFL (one of my two top choices require TOEFL scores to be able to fund me- despite the fact that I have completed my entire undergrad education in the US)
-fill out apps and other various forms
-make postcards for each school for them to send me back that my application is complete (hope that works out)
- make a bizillion copies of my immigration paperwork to send to each school's international student office (big pain in the neck)
-CHECK A BIZILLION TIMES THAT I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN ANYTHING

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone has any questions about the following programs, feel free to PM me! (all are APA accredited clinical psych PsyDs unless otherwise noted)

Xavier Univ.
Widener Univ.
Univ. of Denver/DU
Marquette (clinical psych PhD, funded)
Wright State Univ.
U. of Indianapolis
Pacific Univ (Oregon)
Pepperdine Univ
Marshall Univ. (funded)
(I think I'm missing one....if I think of it I'll add it later :p)

Interviewed at all of em last year. I've seen a few mentioned around here on peoples lists of schools they are looking at/applying to. Haven't seen Marshall mentioned before but it is a great PsyD program, relatively new, funded plus small stipend, small incoming class size, and especially great for anyone interested in rural and/or underserved populations.

Hey guys :D

I don't post often here (just like to soak up the info :) but I saw this thread and couldn't resist. I am applying for Social/Developmental/Community PhD programs. Here is my list so far:

University of Illinois Chicago
DePaul U (Chicago)
Fordham U
CUNY Graduate Center
Rutgers U
Georgetown U
George Washington U (apparently I love schools with the name George in them...lol)

Yeah, and more may be added. I am also applying to a few Masters programs--possibly some in the UK b/c I LOVE England and have studied abroad there (and no one will stop me from going back!).

Anyone else applying to Social or Community programs?? My interest is in gender and race issues (education gap between black males and females, gender identity, racial identity). Basically I wanted to post this b/c I've been freaking out lately and need to get my packet finalized before I rip all my hair out and/or flake and decide to not apply since it is quite the overwhelming process. *Phew* This was cathartic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I haven't even started working on my apps yet. I hope to have that started by November. I have decided not to retake my GRE's and will use old scores for both general and psych. It might be a bad call but I really don't have the extra energy or cash right now.

I'll be applying to school psych phd's and psyd's and possibly, the clinical-integrated psyd in VA.

Applications really don't stress me out. I had a lot of fun with it last time. I make adorable little folders (I'm a school supply nerd) and the last minute deadlines and interviews excite me.

The reality of committing to a program, however, is terrifying. Especially given the challenges I'm facing right now. I look forward to sharing more with you guys are time moves forward.

Oddly enough, I could see myself becoming more motivated if I made cute little folders for each school :))

Maybe that's what I need to do to stop myself from going crazy. *Sigh* It's the little things....

Where I'm at...

For schools with web-based applications:
- Upload PS
- Receive recs (which have been sent to my recommenders already)
- Pay and submit

For schools with paper-based applications:
- Print, complete
- Receive recs (again, the recommenders have them)
- Pay and send

I've already submitted two applications, because the schools don't send their recommendation prompts until after you've paid and submitted.

I generally expect to be done with my part by November, and then it's just waiting for my recommenders to complete theirs. :)

I have to say that the cute folders thing works! I went out and bought some last night and it got me to print out the paper-based applications, sign up for some of the web-based ones, fill out a form to request my transcripts, and print out and fill out the forms for my LoR writers. :D

I am applying to PhD/PsyD programs. My research interests include GLBT issues and neuropsychology. However, most of the programs I am applying to have faculty interested in GLBT research.

As of now:
I am taking the Psych GRE in 5 days, then the general one like a week after that...

I am almost ready to give my LOR writers my information for each school.. (Hopefully this will be done by tomorrow)

I am in the process of filling out the transcript request forms from all 3 of my previous schools (2 undergraduate and 1 graduate) and have realized that it's gonna cost me about $340 just to send transcripts!! (17 transcripts, $5 each for both undergraduate programs, but $10 each from the graduate program)!!!! :scared: This is outrageous! And some schools require 2 copies!

I have not started filling out the apps yet, that will start next week.

I have contacted POI's at 4 of the schools. Hopefully I will finish this in the next 2 weeks...

With school and work on top of studying for GRE's and my thesis, I am feeling a little overwhelmed...
It's gonna be a long month! I just feel so much anxiety, it is almost paralyzing!!:eek:

Last edited:
I am applying to PhD/PsyD programs. My research interests include GLBT issues and neuropsychology. However, most of the programs I am applying to have faculty interested in GLBT research.

As of now:
I am taking the Psych GRE in 5 days, then the general one like a week after that...

I am almost ready to give my LOR writers my information for each school.. (Hopefully this will be done by tomorrow)

I am in the process of filling out the transcript request forms from all 3 of my previous schools (2 undergraduate and 1 graduate) and have realized that it's gonna cost me about $340 just to send transcripts!! (17 transcripts, $5 each for both undergraduate programs, but $10 each from the graduate program)!!!! :scared: This is outrageous! And some schools require 2 copies!

I have contacted POI's at 4 of the schools. Hopefully I will finish this in the next 2 weeks...

With school and work on top of studying for GRE's and my thesis, I am feeling a little overwhelmed...
It's gonna be a long month! I just feel so much anxiety, it is almost paralyzing!!:eek:

it'll be okay. you can do it!

As of now:

I know what you mean. I feel like I'm running a small business while finishing up school :scared:. However, I firmly believe that the end justifies the means, so a few months of chaos (right now) will all be worth it. Such is life...chaos, calm, chaos, calm. I guess I love it (or else I wouldn't be putting myself through it all this :). Just try to enjoy the process as much as possible!!

...Also, just an update: I made cute folders, it is totally working. I am in a computer lab right now printing all the materials out. This is wonderful.

Good luck everyone!

I'm currently trying to organize my internship applications (ARRGGH!), and although I have no artist ability, I did like the idea. I figure if I can get my sites finalized and all of my labels printed up and packets organized by tomorrow, I'll feel a lot better. I still need to finish up my applications, finish my essays, and draft my cover letters. 2-3 weeks left...blah.

Hi all, it's my first time posting but I have been soaking up the information hear for a while now :). I am planning on applying to clinical psych PhD programs this fall (more research-based or evenly spread out programs).

I feel like I have two jobs right now - actual research work and then applying for schools. I have made cute folders with matching paperclips and post-its for each recommender (perhaps I should go into OCD research?!?) and have gotten one of my recommendation packets back already. I have printed all of the stuff for each school and made checklists, completed both my GREs and now am working on the actual application process and personal statement.

I almost can't wait until the application process is over but then will come the waiting for interview calls and emails!

Members don't see this ad :)
...So this might be a stupid question, but I'm worried about the GRE score-sending process, what with all the negative things I've heard about ETS. I have taken the general GRE, and I am taking the subject test on Saturday. Do I need to wait until my scores for the subject test are in to order the score reports? Or will they send the general score now and send the subject test score when it becomes available? I'm worried that if I order them now that my subject tests won't get sent. Also, just to clarify, you don't have to order the subject and general scores separately, right? You just indicate that you want both scores sent? Help would be appreciated, I am pretty nervous about this whole process!

Wait until you take the subject test. You will indicate 4 schools that day and then you will need to call and request that the scores are sent to the remaining schools. You don't need to specify which scores you want as they will send everything you have taken up to that day.

Remember that the school you chose when you took the general test will probably not get your psych scores. What you can do is ask them if those score reports have already been sent when you call to request additional reports. If they went out before you took the subject test, you have to request that they are sent again. (and pay the extra $15)

I know it's a pain but you really need to be on top of it. Ask the person to repeat to you like 10 times which scores they have on file and check that they are resporting ALL of your scores to ALL schools and that the scores are correct. And always talk to a human being before using the automated service as you don't want to deal with them having to fix anything.

I'm reading the posts and I FEEL the PAIN!! It's quite funny and relieving that we're all in the same boat (Titanic??)

This is how I feel right now (about the whole process): :barf:
The lack of sleep isn't helping!! :help:

:idea:I think I'm going to take the rest of the day off (been up since 7am with very little sleep) or maybe I'll take a nap. Because I am oh-so-close to CRACKING. :diebanana:

Good luck to those who have the energy to get some/more work done today!! :biglove:

Hey there everyone! I'm back for a third application cycle! Phew. As my adviser says... the third time's the charm! Good luck to everyone! :luck: And hang in there! We can do it! :)

Here's where I'm at so far:
-selected programs (9 Clinical PhD; 1 Clinical PsyD)
-emailed POIs
-administered packages to my letter writers
-ordered GRE reports
-filled in most of online applications
-printed all other forms to fill out
-revising my personal statements

phd100308s.gif

if anyone is applying to mwu I'd be more than happy to give ya pointers!

good luck everyone!

so i just heard back from a POI i contacted. she said "i would love to see your application." does that mean she looks forward to seeing it among the others, or that she wants me to send her my CV, SOP, etc.? should i send those things?

It probably means that she liked your e-mail and will remember that you e-mailed her when she sees your name on the application. It's not an acceptance, so I wouldn't get too ahead of myself. But I would just take it as a good sign.

so i just heard back from a POI i contacted. she said "i would love to see your application." does that mean she looks forward to seeing it among the others, or that she wants me to send her my CV, SOP, etc.? should i send those things?

Alleycatpysch, i've always taken this to mean, "thanks for your interest, your research seems like a good fit, i will look for your app." If you do want to contact her again i would suggest doing it after you apply. Then you can write something along the lines of, "i have submitted an application and look forward to hearing from you in the future..."

Hope this helps :)

thanks guys. i was just thrown by her wording. it sounded like she wanted me to personally send her my essay or CV, but i guess she just meant she is looking forward to seeing my application after i submit it.

Do you think "I look forward to seeing your application" means the same thing? I can't tell if my responses were positive or not XD

cara susanna: that's the response i usually got, and i think they all mean the same thing. i'm pretty sure the application itself is what makes up their minds, so unless you get a response like "please don't apply to work with me," just take it as a green light and prepare the most compelling application possible!

I commonly get the "I look forward to reviewing your application" response from POIs.

On another note, has anyone had a POI ask about GRE/GPA? I've had a few ask me.

Do you think not contacting POIs is a deal-breaker? I have always kind of assumed that they rather not be bombarded with emails and so I haven't tried to get in touch with any of them. Am I screwed?

Samusb, I think it helps get your name out there at the very least. And if your email was well received your application can get more than a second look. Remember it's like a political campaign so you want yourself and your interests out there as much as possible.

Why don't you still contact some POI's? Do others think this is a good idea or is it too late for Samusb to do something like this? I'm not sure if I'm giving good advice that's why I'm throwing it out there--but if you're applications are not due until Dec. 1-Jan 15 that's still 5-12 weeks.

Jon

So, I have decided I am not going to apply to schools this year. My GRE is not where it should be to be competitive in most programs. While the rest of my application looks great, I would rather not spend all the money on applying to 9 schools knowing that most likely, they wouldn't consider me because of my GRE (1150).

I am retaking the GRE on Thursday, but haven't had time to study much since the last time I took it. There is a chance I will do better, since the main reason I scored low on my last test was because I ran out of time on the Verbal....but, most likely I will not up my score 100-200 points.

Plus, I honestly can't afford to apply this year. 9 schools at an average of $50 a school for application fees, is too much to fork out for me.

BOO!

I am looking at getting a higher-paying job (one that would still be beneficial to my CV), saving money, studying SUPER hard for the GRE, and applying next year. Now I know how the process goes, I'm hoping things would be easier for me next year.

It seems like you're making a well-thought out decision. If you want to improve your score on the verbal, I suggest looking at the Archives of Dictionary.com. It really helped to prepare me for the verbal part of the GRE, and when the test came around, there were no surprises. I ended up scoring a 750 on Verbal (99th percentile), and felt confident and composed. Be mindful of second-meaning (or sometimes 7th meaning!) words. I remember having a few of the antonyms section. Good luck!

Why would you leave USUHS and Baylor off this list? Both have people who specialize in gender/sexuality issues. USUHS and Baylor are both surprisingly diverse.

Mark

I don't think I or my partner are up for living in Waco... While I have been pretty flexible about location and haven't tried to limit my choices based on geography, I decided to draw a line (above texas and around a few other states too... ) USUHS I don't know too much about and never really considered.

As an update... I'm checking this board more and more frequently and finishing up draft one of PS #1 as well. Going to run it by some advisors, gradstudents, and english major friends soon. Took the Psych GRE 10/18 and am now just waiting for my scores ... ....and w a i t i n g... so I can send them out. I can see the home stretch up ahead, maybe.

Good Luck Everyone!

Samusb, I think it helps get your name out there at the very least. And if your email was well received your application can get more than a second look. Remember it's like a political campaign so you want yourself and your interests out there as much as possible.

Why don't you still contact some POI's? Do others think this is a good idea or is it too late for Samusb to do something like this? I'm not sure if I'm giving good advice that's why I'm throwing it out there--but if you're applications are not due until Dec. 1-Jan 15 that's still 5-12 weeks.

Jon

What would be some good info. to include when contacting POI's (or not to include, so you're not wasting their time)?

Do you think not contacting POIs is a deal-breaker? I have always kind of assumed that they rather not be bombarded with emails and so I haven't tried to get in touch with any of them. Am I screwed?

Clearly people here are fans of contacting POIs in advance, but no, it's not a deal breaker. I didn't contact ANY POIs. (I assumed that if the majority of applicants were using this tactic, my name wouldn't stand out anyway. Furthermore, I felt that it was really unlikely that my contacting the person in advance would have any real bearing on how my application/credentials/merits were perceived when laid next to the next applicant). Despite my rather strong feelings on the matter, I got multiple interviews & multiple offers. So, I don't think you need to worry.

Clearly people here are fans of contacting POIs in advance, but no, it's not a deal breaker. I didn't contact ANY POIs. (I assumed that if the majority of applicants were using this tactic, my name wouldn't stand out anyway. Furthermore, I felt that it was really unlikely that my contacting the person in advance would have any real bearing on how my application/credentials/merits were perceived when laid next to the next applicant). Despite my rather strong feelings on the matter, I got multiple interviews & multiple offers. So, I don't think you need to worry.

I also did not contact any POIs before I applied and it didn't seem to harm my chances of getting an interview. I might have saved some $$ on application fees, however, if some of my non-interviews were simply because the POI was not taking students that year, which I could have found out about had I emailed ahead of time...

It seems like you're making a well-thought out decision. If you want to improve your score on the verbal, I suggest looking at the Archives of Dictionary.com. It really helped to prepare me for the verbal part of the GRE, and when the test came around, there were no surprises. I ended up scoring a 750 on Verbal (99th percentile), and felt confident and composed. Be mindful of second-meaning (or sometimes 7th meaning!) words. I remember having a few of the antonyms section. Good luck!

Well, after a meeting with one of my work collegues who is a Psychologist at the University I work at, I have decided to apply to a few programs. He said he thinks I'm still a very competitive applicant because of other aspects of my application (strong background in research, publications, undergraduate GPA), even if I don't score better on the GRE tomorrow (my current score is an 1150). He was very encouraging, and I trust his opinion, as he has served on admissions committees for Clinical Psychology Ph,D. programs before!

I am feeling more encouraged now, and am not so worried about my test tomorrow...hopefully without the test anxiety I typically experience, I will do much better!

mplsgirl - how'd you do?! I hope you kicked that test's butt and get tons of offers this year :)

HAHA...I actually did better! Not amazing, but I got an 1190 total. Fell flat on my face with verbal (again), but got a 690 quant score, which I was pretty happy about. I figure that an 1190 is close enough to the 1200 cutoff that some schools have.

Also, I have been in contact with the director of my #1 program, and she said that they do not have a GRE cutoff, as other aspects of the application are often more reliable and predictive of future graduate performance. She said my background/experiences look great and she encouraged me to apply. What a nice lady!!

So, it looks like I'm applying after all. Not to 9 programs as originally planned- only to 5 or so. Hopefully I'll get an interview at the programs where I have the greatest "match"... I am excited again! Back on the horse!

mplsgirl: You may want to consider applying to all 9 (as long as there is 'fit', etc), as it is VERY competitive, and even if you got a good response from your top place, it is still a long road to get accepted. I don't mean to be a downer, but you want to make sure you give yourself the best shot at getting into a program.

I would love to apply to all 9, but I can't afford it :( My parents were going to help me out with the application fees, but very recently informed me that they are no longer able to...so I am only applying to the programs where I feel I have the best chance of fitting in. If I had the money, I would apply to 20 programs! I just can't fork out that much money right now on my own, with my measly Research Assistant salary! ;(

So, I took the GRE and my new score in a combined 1160 (510 Verbal, 650 Quant). My old scores from 2 years ago were 1120 (420 Verbal, 700 Quant). I need some direction and some advice here, I feel like my latest score is in the range of "good" but is it "good enough"?? Should I retake the test?
I have lots of research experience and a few presentations. I'm completing a master's program now and am working on a thesis also. I feel like if schools were to see the score as deficient, I have other things to make up for it.
I just don't know what to do, should I risk taking it again?? Thanks!:confused:

So, I took the GRE and my new score in a combined 1160 (510 Verbal, 650 Quant). My old scores from 2 years ago were 1120 (420 Verbal, 700 Quant). I need some direction and some advice here, I feel like my latest score is in the range of "good" but is it "good enough"?? Should I retake the test?
I have lots of research experience and a few presentations. I'm completing a master's program now and am working on a thesis also. I feel like if schools were to see the score as deficient, I have other things to make up for it.
I just don't know what to do, should I risk taking it again?? Thanks!:confused:

Hey Ollie,

How much did you study between your 1st and 2nd test? I've heard that realistically, if you study your best, the tests have a very low rate of improvement. This can be bad or good: if you didn't study much after the first test then you can study a lot now and hope to receive a better score. If you studied a lot after the first one then you may have to examine your study habits intensely, or accept your score.

Are you planning on applying this year? Personally I would go ahead with the process since your experience is pretty high. If you aren't applying this year, I would definitely invest some serious time into studying for the GRE and try to nail it next time.

I hope it all turns out the best for you. Good luck with everything.

Hey Ollie,

How much did you study between your 1st and 2nd test? I've heard that realistically, if you study your best, the tests have a very low rate of improvement. This can be bad or good: if you didn't study much after the first test then you can study a lot now and hope to receive a better score. If you studied a lot after the first one then you may have to examine your study habits intensely, or accept your score.

Are you planning on applying this year? Personally I would go ahead with the process since your experience is pretty high. If you aren't applying this year, I would definitely invest some serious time into studying for the GRE and try to nail it next time.

I hope it all turns out the best for you. Good luck with everything.

Thanks for the reply! Those previous scores were from 2 years ago (the last time I applied to PhD programs). I studied a lot for the test, it was kind of sporadic over the summer, but pretty solid lately given what extra time I have. I spoke with a few people (professors included) and they think I should go ahead with it. I think I will go ahead and give it a shot!

I also took the Psych GRE and I feel like I did really well on that (still waiting on scores....). I hope that if they were really well, a combination of that and my experience will make up for any deficiency they may see with my general GRE scores.

It's useful to ask if they are accepting any students - if not, your check is cashed and that's that. You don't have to form a relationship with them per se but I think it's important to know if your application will even be looked at after you've spent so much time on them.

So, after reading this I am realizing that I am further behind than I realized.

History on me: I'm full time active duty Marine. Graduated with my BA in psych in June 08. Leaving service in 20 days. I took the GRE once, in August, but plan on retaking late Nov or VERY early December (I know, I know - that is late) with the hope of increasing my score. Didn't do horrible on it, but didn't do as great as I would want (1140). I took the GRE Psych in Oct and will get my scores on Nov 12th. I believe that I did very well on it - I was very confident while taking that exam.

I have successfully applyed to Argosy U in DC, and am currently working on my other personal statements for the other programs that I am applying to. I'm applying to a total of Ten. (Is this too few? Any thoughts on that?)

Still need to do: Request transcripts, finish personal statements, put together packages and mail out. Retake GRE General test. Order ETS score reports for programs iwth 1 Dec and 5 Dec deadline dates (I'll have to apply with my 1st GRE General test scores adn use the second scores for programs with deadlines past these dates).

Is there anyone else as far behind as me out there? Maybe I should have waited to apply to PsyD programs until after I left active duty!

Hey Guys -

I'm joining the thread. I'm really freaked out about applying because of my low GRE score. I figure you guys can me a "support" center for me. In order to try and work out which programs would fit me best based on my scores, I sent a letter out to the graduate program director. Anyways, here are my schools:

Georgia State - Decent shot
George Mason - Decent shot
University of Illinois Urbana - yeah right
U Mass Amherst maybe, leaning towards no
UHUHS maybe ?
Drexel Definite NO
Emory maybe, probably not

I'm also applying to MPH programs because my scores are so low. My clinical psychology professor discussed how my experience is really strong and it may outweigh my GRE score. She also warned that clinical psychology is competitive and that I should have my back-up programs. It always annoys me how much weight schools put on the GRE. Sometimes I scan current students at schools to see their CV and I get aggitated to find that my CV is congruent to 4th and 5th year Ph.D. students. Anyways, ... I wish you all the best of luck seeing how we are all going over the same freak - OUT experience. I'll probably respond and discuss along with you guys.

:oops: