Someone explain the joke to me, please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

MS-4 here, applying to EM. Love everything about it. Been a silent observer on-and-off here for awhile, but I just gotta ask:

"How did the FATTY McFATTYPANTS gag begin?"

It's already funny enough to me, and I don't think that I understand the joke in its entireity, but I sure would like to.

- Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

There was an EM applicant that insulted me here online, and someone said, "why don't you just go up to the program director and call them 'Fatty McFattypants'?"

That guy didn't even make it onto our match list, but did match elsewhere, and got fatter and fatter each year. I think he had to roll to his residency graduation.

That IS funny. It's bad policy to insult people when you don't know who you're dealing with. I take it that you're a program director, then?

... and I don't doubt you for a second, but how do you know that he got fatter and fatter ? Ha Ha.

Members don't see this ad :)
That IS funny. It's bad policy to insult people when you don't know who you're dealing with. I take it that you're a program director, then?

... and I don't doubt you for a second, but how do you know that he got fatter and fatter ? Ha Ha.

Haha, no PD for me - I was a resident at the time, and just a staff EP now.

I saw pictures of this guy.

Here's the original thread for your reading pleasure:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=170369&page=2&pp=25&highlight=mcfattypants

Thereafter, it became a way to call people a tool, I feel like it's short for, "what you said was so clueless/lame that it is akin to calling the PD or the program you're interested in a Fatty McFattypants". I'm sure someone else has a better way of putting it.

In any case, it is an especially popular weapon when someone is looking for the "top ten residency programs" or "wondering" if they can match in EM with all honors and a 250+ Step I, and is all the more funny because of the time the OP spends going, "huh?" while we are all playing hangman. :smuggrin:

Hi All,

MS-4 here, applying to EM. Love everything about it. Been a silent observer on-and-off here for awhile, but I just gotta ask:

"How did the FATTY McFATTYPANTS gag begin?"

It's already funny enough to me, and I don't think that I understand the joke in its entireity, but I sure would like to.

- Cheers.

So glad you asked. I'm years behind you and also was wondering about that.

so, now that we cleared that up, could we go over what my chances are and where the best EM program is?

Also while were talking I was wondering if I could do a FM/IM residency but work in an ED like two shifts a month so I could practice wilderness medicine and tactical flight medicine in my spare time.

Oh, and I don't like trauma so I'll let the EM docs handle that.

what is the best program in the country to prepare me for this job? Oh, and what book should I get?

Also while were talking I was wondering if I could do a FM/IM residency but work in an ED like two shifts a month so I could practice wilderness medicine and tactical flight medicine in my spare time.

Oh, and I don't like trauma so I'll let the EM docs handle that.

what is the best program in the country to prepare me for this job? Oh, and what book should I get?

Just go to Princeton Med's EM program. No place in the world is even close. Just hope you got super honors in all your courses, 270+ on both step I and II and LoRs from the dean of students at Harvard, WashU, and JHU, which make mention of your nobel prize-winning research into curing HIV and cancer in remote African villages.

just a 270+? oh, I can relax then. I put down a sick 2186 on my step one. Just plain crushed.

Just go to Princeton Med's EM program. No place in the world is even close. Just hope you got super honors in all your courses, 270+ on both step I and II and LoRs from the dean of students at Harvard, WashU, and JHU, which make mention of your nobel prize-winning research into curing HIV and cancer in remote African villages.

Um, don't forget the In-N-Out residency and their fry fellowship!

*Glad I finally fully understand the joke*.

- One thing I'll defend, however - I can see "what book is a good one for learning EM?" being a valid question. There are "good" and "bad" books for every niche in medicine, both pre-clinical and clinical, and it does hurt when you waste your time reading a poorly written book and you're asking yourself "what do they MEAN by this?" all the while. I bought First-Aid for the EM clerkship and EM Secrets, and just won't put 'em down. The mnemonics in FA are just so clever.

Members don't see this ad :)
I must give credit where credit is due. I learned FMFP from my younger brother, also known as the funniest lawyer alive.

That's right, we're quoting a lawyer every time we drop the F-bomb.

Haha, no PD for me - I was a resident at the time, and just a staff EP now.

*Just* a staff EP? You will never be JUST a staff EP (especially if your former PD is telling the truth about you. ) :D

There was an EM applicant that insulted me here online, and someone said, "why don't you just go up to the program director and call them 'Fatty McFattypants'?"

That guy didn't even make it onto our match list, but did match elsewhere, and got fatter and fatter each year. I think he had to roll to his residency graduation.

I just read the thread, maybe the dumbest person ever in the history of SDN (or people).

I laid very low on SDN during interview season. Actually had a nasty experience which I will no relay for no particular reason other than that I am bored.

I had been in a discussion with an infrequent poster and he took serious offense to something I said (which was pretty benign). He PM'ed me with the words "you are an idiot."

I responded back with a few choice words. He PM'ed me a few hours later with something like "Whatever, just remeber that you're not as annonymous as you thought you were." This was like halfway through interview season so I got pretty freaked out. I try not to be offensive on SDN but I do say some things I probably wouldn't say in person. I laid low and basically did not post for quite awhile.

Anyway it turned out that I got my #1, and after looking at a few more of this dude's posts it was pretty clear that he went to program X (where I had not interviewed). There was no way he could have known who I was. It was a pretty dirty trick though I have to say, especially in the middle of interview season.

I just read the thread, maybe the dumbest person ever in the history of SDN (or people).

I laid very low on SDN during interview season. Actually had a nasty experience which I will no relay for no particular reason other than that I am bored.

I had been in a discussion with an infrequent poster and he took serious offense to something I said (which was pretty benign). He PM'ed me with the words "you are an idiot."

I responded back with a few choice words. He PM'ed me a few hours later with something like "Whatever, just remeber that you're not as annonymous as you thought you were." This was like halfway through interview season so I got pretty freaked out. I try not to be offensive on SDN but I do say some things I probably wouldn't say in person. I laid low and basically did not post for quite awhile.

Anyway it turned out that I got my #1, and after looking at a few more of this dude's posts it was pretty clear that he went to program X (where I had not interviewed). There was no way he could have known who I was. It was a pretty dirty trick though I have to say, especially in the middle of interview season.

I hate it when people do that. It is one of my biggest pet peeves for a person to try to intimidate you / scare you because they think that will help them out if you are scared. That's why I just tell people I'm no competition.

I hate it when people do that. It is one of my biggest pet peeves for a person to try to intimidate you / scare you because they think that will help them out if you are scared. That's why I just tell people I'm no competition.

Particulary true when the stakes are so low (a few points in an argument on an internet forum).

Reactions: 1 user
Um, don't forget the In-N-Out residency and their fry fellowship!
I'm living in Chicago, and I'm from Minneapolis... so you can imagine how jazzed I was to be in LA recently.

2603673481_a810a697d0.jpg

I was thinking of this board when this photo was taken.

(Sure, I'm a little less anonymous now, but I'm okay with that. PAs don't have to fight for residency spots...)

Okay, as long as we're busy explaining jokes... someone want to explain the "In-n-Out Burger" joke, as well ?

Sorry to sound like a total noob, but I really wanna know.

Okay, as long as we're busy explaining jokes... someone want to explain the "In-n-Out Burger" joke, as well ?

Sorry to sound like a total noob, but I really wanna know.
People routinely post questions about what residency program is the best. It's a very tired subject and an unanswerable question so we started telling everyone that the best residency is at a fast food joint. If you've ever lived in southern CA you know that there's only one fast food joint and so the In-N-Out residency was born.

Does anyone want to head of the inevitable next question and explain about Chuck Norris?

Last edited:
Ha Ha. I love the Chuck Norris jokes.
But seriously, I've lived in the northeast all my life. Never seen or heard of "In-N-Out Burger". Great gag, though.

I'm less interested in the true identity of Ferbrifuge than in what the woman behind him is doing. Yoga? Stretching? Flexing? Weird.

I'm less interested in the true identity of Ferbrifuge than in what the woman behind him is doing. Yoga? Stretching? Flexing? Weird.
Yep, that's my friend Courtney. She was... um... I really don't know. It was too early in the day for ETOH-induced vertigo, so that's not it. It was definitely some manner of interpretive physical comedy, but I can't tell what it's supposed to be.

Maybe it was the "let's see if I can hip-check the handicap door-opener plate" game. There were like 10 of us about to enter the restaurant.

Yep, that's my friend Courtney. She was... um... I really don't know.

Sure she wasn't just posing? :)

Take care,
Jeff

BTW, thanks for the picture. As a Texas boy, I had no clue what an In 'n Out place looked like.