School Ranks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denny55

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 4 interviews coming up and very unsure of how I should line up my interviews. I was wondering what are everyone's rankings of all the schools are. Pod students please chime in on this post if you can. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You have to search for this. It's been discussed ad nauseum.

The problem is that nobody can really comment intelligently since nobody has attended every school. The "rankings" you will find are largely just based off of hearsay, rumors, recent board pass rates, or just plain BS.

Each school has its strengths/weaknesses. IMO, Temple and Barry are quite strong on clinical experience and pt diversity. DMU, Scholl, and AZ have excellent basic sciences. Cali has the early (2nd year) clinic, which is a pro or a con depending who you talk to.

Other things to consider would may be scholarship offerings, faculty accessibility, student support services available, facilities, etc. Just like residency programs, the schools change. For every pod school, faculty and admins will come/go, clinical rotations open/close, incoming student interest waxes/wanes, etc.

Selecting a school is a very personal decision. The schools are all accredited for a reason: they can give you what you need. You can succeed anywhere if you work hard, but if you find the program that's the best fit for you personally, you will probably have more success and less frustrations along the way.

thanks Feli! those are some great things I will use in my decision making process. :thumbup: i will search for the links

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on opening a Pod school. It will be in a temperate climate on an island. The only entrance requirement will be having sufficient personal funds to pay the tuition. It will obviously be number one.

Joking aside, do a search. TONS of opinions related to this.

I am planning on opening a Pod school. It will be in a temperate climate on an island. The only entrance requirement will be having sufficient personal funds to pay the tuition. It will obviously be number one.

Joking aside, do a search. TONS of opinions related to this.
A good idea, but when you look at Miami's weather, culture, cultural diversity, etc...

...it's already basically a Caribbean pod school. And it is number one :cool:

:laugh::laugh:

Yes feli...the temperate climate and the Latina women. With so many distractions, do you find it hard to concentrate on your studies?

Yes feli...the temperate climate and the Latina women. With so many distractions, do you find it hard to concentrate on your studies?
You do need willpower. I'm married (wife is a Miami girl I met first year), so I no longer have no idea what other women are. :cool:

In all seriousness, I really enjoy having nice weather, palm trees, cruise port right here, etc. I study hard, but when I am caught up or just finished exams, it's nice to have everything (nice weather, culture, dining, entertainment, etc) right at your fingetips. Besides, how many pod school cities has Will Smith wrote a dance song about? I mean really? :D I will tell ya, the scenery here this time of year is amazing. I thought it was paradise here when I first interviewed, and I still do. Expensive, but worth it. :thumbup:

Overall, between scholarship offerings, small private school with low student:faculty ratio, 4 busy pod school clinics as well as good med rotations, and , I think Barry is a good very choice. As I said, though, the best choice for me is not the best choice for everyone. It's an individual decision.

You do need willpower. I'm married (wife is a Miami girl I met first year), so I no longer have no idea what other women are. :cool:

In all seriousness, I really enjoy having nice weather, palm trees, cruise port right here, etc. I study hard, but when I am caught up or just finished exams, it's nice to have everything (nice weather, culture, dining, entertainment, etc) right at your fingetips. Besides, how many pod school cities has Will Smith wrote a dance song about? I mean really? :D I will tell ya, the scenery here this time of year is amazing. I thought it was paradise here when I first interviewed, and I still do. Expensive, but worth it. :thumbup:

Overall, between scholarship offerings, small private school with low student:faculty ratio, 4 busy pod school clinics as well as good med rotations, and , I think Barry is a good very choice. As I said, though, the best choice for me is not the best choice for everyone. It's an individual decision.

Beautiful scenery indeed...when I apply next year, Barry is one of my top choices because of its clinic focus, affliation with a larger school, and warm weather climate. The only thing that concerns me is on campus housing. I have read a few previous threads that say its not available for the pod students. Is this true?

I have been impressed with a couple of the Barry students that have rotated through my residency program this year. I personally would recommend that you look at programs that share a curriculum with DO or MD students as well. That seems to be the direction that podiatric education is headed and it will prepare you to be a more complete physician. just my two cents.

... I personally would recommend that you look at programs that share a curriculum with DO or MD students as well. That seems to be the direction that podiatric education is headed and it will prepare you to be a more complete physician. just my two cents.
This is very good advice.^

You may be aware, but Barry Univ has received offers in the past from Nova-Southeastern (a nearby undergrad, grad, DO, PA, OD, PT pharmD, PhDs, etc university) to buy the pod program and move it over. However, Barry Univ (undergrads, grads, DPM, PA, SMP, PhDs, PT, etc) is a pretty historic, financially strong Catholic campus in its own right. With the new Grad Med Sciences (pod and PA) building construction completed this year and the Barry pod clinics expanding, it's pretty clear to me that Barry Univ has zero intent to sell its podiatry program.

Personally, I like the decision... Nova would've been nice in terms of a more DO-integrated program and improved facilites (and some students were strongly in that camp before Barry's new building). The main kicker IMO is that Barry pod tuition is around $25k (and many scholarships available) while Nova DO tuition is $30-36k (depending on residence, no idea on scholarship offerings). Facilities are nice, but we already do many of the same med rotations side by side with Nova's DO students (and UMiami MD students) and Barry has a few of their faculty as adjuncts. I think Barry already has a fairly unique situation: many of the benefits of being affiliated with an osteopath program without suffering the downsides of full integration (an almost certain increase in tuition, probably decrease in scholarships, and much larger class sizes).

Last edited:
I agree! Barry best fit my needs and wants. I am married so there aren't as many distractions compared to my single classmates. But we all study hard and play hard. fortunately, we can play year round outside, which most schools do not provide.

He might have wrote a song about Miami...but remember where he's from, Feli; P.H.I.L.A.D.E.L.P.H.I.A. +1 Philly. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure this already made a lotta headlines in Philly, but for anyone who missed it...

http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/category/1/subcategory/1 (25 major US cities ranked by attractiveness of their people)
http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2008/category/1/subcategory/6 (same cities ranked by style)

Sex sells :D

You make me sad. :cry:

+1 Miami.

Philly = Birthplace of democracy. I say +2 Philly for that one.

What can Miami give us besides warm weather, hot people, and Ocean Drive? Beaches schmeaches. :D

Philly = Birthplace of democracy. I say +2 Philly for that one.

coming from the brit. nice! :cool:

The year-round warm weather, or the lack of snow, should be +3 for Miami. Snow sucks to live in but fun to visit. By the way, what is the score?

OP, if you work hard, you can succeed anywhere

But remember there is only one harvard of podiatry:rolleyes:

This was meant to be an inside joke for those who have been part of SDN for awhile

I applied to all 8 schools, but only interviewed at 4

Once I got into my 1st choice, I canceled the rest.

The tricky part is the deposit, do you send the monies to more than one school or would you rather wait and see if your " NO. 1" school offers you admission.

Some schools tell you right on the spot, you are in, others make you wait

This was meant to be an inside joke for those who have been part of SDN for awhile

I applied to all 8 schools, but only interviewed at 4

Once I got into my 1st choice, I canceled the rest.

The tricky part is the deposit, do you send the monies to more than one school or would you rather wait and see if your " NO. 1" school offers you admission.

Some schools tell you right on the spot, you are in, others make you wait

what school was your first choice?

...Philly = Birthplace of democracy....
coming from the brit. nice! :cool:
Hey, maybe he rolls around in his Mini Cooper playing that Kanye "American Boy" song on loop... who knows? :D

24519825_65854df2f0.jpg