USC vs. Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USC or Loma Linda: Which dental school would you go to if accepted?

• University of Southern California

Votes: 50 31.3%
  • Loma Linda University

Votes: 110 68.8%

• Total voters

burton117

The Big Kahuna
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm in Southern California and have options at these schools. Which one would you go to?

If you guys wouldn't mind stating your reasoning for which school you would choose, that would be great! If you don't want to post the information here, feel free to PM me as well!

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I would go for Loma Linda based on my experience here at USC. I am very terrified about not graduating on time and with the way the administrative staff treat us around here (like dirt), it makes this place a very unpleasant one. Needless to say I'm never happy when I'm at school, I just feel the stress in the atmosphere.

Well, I would go for Loma Linda based on my experience here at USC. I am very terrified about not graduating on time and with the way the administrative staff treat us around here (like dirt), it makes this place a very unpleasant one. Needless to say I'm never happy when I'm at school, I just feel the stress in the atmosphere.

Wow.. that stinks. I've heard USC is making changes which will be in effect within the next couple of months that will make things better. I have also heard that it is very difficult to schedule patients and a source of great stress.

According to the poll, it looks like Loma Linda is leading USC 15-4.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I didnt interview at USC so I am just speaking from my experience at Loma Linda.

I thouroughly enjoyed the tour. Everyone was so darn friendly and that really calmed my minds going to the interview.

They have one of the most extensive community outreach program. Students get numerous opportunities to go to many, many different places to help those in need.

There is also a very high rate of passing part one for their students on their first try, and that is always a plus as well.

In terms of cost of living, it is also a lot cheaper in LLU compared to USC.

The only downfall for LLU would probably be its price tag. But dont get me wrong though, their tuition is still very, very inexpensive for a private institution. They also have mandatory chapel service once a week so if you are not big fan of religion it may also get somewhat bothersome.

The only downfall for LLU would probably be its price tag.

In comparison to other schools I would agree. But for the purpose of this thread, the price tag would actually turn out to be a plus for Loma Linda.

4 year tuition (taken from Predents.com):

USC: $202,846
LL: $173,214

And this doesn’t account for living expenses as you touched on, nor interest accrued while in school.

In comparison to other schools I would agree. But for the purpose of this thread, the price tag would actually turn out to be a plus for Loma Linda.

4 year tuition (taken from Predents.com):

USC: $202,846
LL: $173,214

And this doesn't account for living expenses as you touched on, nor interest accrued while in school.

It would be interesting to compare the budgets (both tuition/living/books - everything!) of both schools. I'll have to look for that and post it if/when I find it.

I'd choose Loma Linda in a heart beat!

I think all the problems you hear about at USC could be overcome w/ personal initiative. LLU's spiritual inclusion and the restrictions they place on things opposed to their dogma, would get on my nerves quickly. Plus, USC is in a better location. Granted the immediate area is crappy, but you don't have to go far to find some pretty cool places to live in LA. San Bernadino is a bit depressing to me on the other hand. I'm just not attracted to the inland areas of CA.

I guess it all depends on your point of reference. Living in the IE already, I'm used to the fact that it is not LA. I don't expect it to be LA. Having a family, I wouldn't want to live in the area around USC, plus the religious aspects of LLU don't bother me, especially since I already live "in its shadow".

I'd go with Loma Linda since only 18% of the students graduated on time last year. :eek:

I think in terms of cost of living, LLU is probably cheaper than USC as well.

I live only about half an hour away from USC, so I kinda have an idea how expensive rent can be around the area. Plus, I have several friends that went to USC for undergrad and they too admit housing can be quite pricey over there as well.

loma linda....excellent clinical training....and you'll graduate on time :D

Members don't see this ad :)
loma linda....excellent clinical training....and you'll graduate on time :D

ditto, Where else can you go to dental school and get your church on at the same time???

So far it looks like Loma Linda is dominating USC 3 to 1!

Ok so we have to choose b/w the school that forces you into Sunday service and the school that has 100% PBL (a proven failure)?

I choose to go to pharmacy school instead.

Ok so we have to choose b/w the school that forces you into Sunday service and the school that has 100% PBL (a proven failure)?

I choose to go to pharmacy school instead.

A small technicality, but at the interview they stated it is now considered a hybrid curriculum (not 100% PBL).

Columbia (The USC student, not the school) has mentioned some of the changes like added lectures at the end of each case, a couple courses at the med school, etc.

church is no big deal....sleep through it

The hybrid just means that you will have PBL for the majority of the class and classes like morphology or composite obviously cannot be taught using PBL so they are taught traditionally in LAB.

No, the hybrid system means HYBRID. There is a gross anatomy lecture & lab at the medical school, dental anatomy and morphology lecture & lab, composite lecture & lab, amalgam lecture & lab, and now a local anesthesia lecture & lab.

PBL is not a proven failure. It's the clinic operations that are failing the school right now.

No, the hybrid system means HYBRID. There is a gross anatomy lecture & lab at the medical school, dental anatomy and morphology lecture & lab, composite lecture & lab, amalgam lecture & lab, and now a local anesthesia lecture & lab.

PBL is not a proven failure. It's the clinic operations that are failing the school right now.

Can you elaborate on the clinical operations?

A small technicality, but at the interview they stated it is now considered a hybrid curriculum (not 100% PBL).

Columbia (The USC student, not the school) has mentioned some of the changes like added lectures at the end of each case, a couple courses at the med school, etc.

They only say it's a hybrid to not scare potential applicants away. In actuality, the resource sessions ("lectures") has ALWAYS been offered. Also, it is more like an overview of the MAJOR points that you were SUPPOSED to find out for yourself during the 2 weeks of PBL. It doens't cover the nitty gritty details like in traditional lectures from your undergraduate classes. That said, I still enjoy going to these resource sessions because they make me feel like I'm getting my money's worth of education, and the current professor gives pretty good lectures. Hope they don't replace him anytime soon. It's funny that everyone intially attends the lecture, but by mid-semester, only 1/2 the class attends.

PBL is VERY relaxing if you have a strong will to study little by little everyday rather than procrastinate. I can tell you all now that the Academic Affairs office the source of all problems for my class DDS1. They are sooo disorganized it's unbelievable. Sergio, from the financial aid office, gets more done than the entire staff (I saw at least 4 people sitting around doing nothing). This is just my experience so far...I'll come back in a few years to bitch about the clinicals :laugh:

They only say it's a hybrid to not scare potential applicants away. In actuality, the resource sessions ("lectures") has ALWAYS been offered. Also, it is more like an overview of the MAJOR points that you were SUPPOSED to find out for yourself during the 2 weeks of PBL. It doens't cover the nitty gritty details like in traditional lectures from your undergraduate classes. That said, I still enjoy going to these resource sessions because they make me feel like I'm getting my money's worth of education, and the current professor gives pretty good lectures. Hope they don't replace him anytime soon. It's funny that everyone intially attends the lecture, but by mid-semester, only 1/2 the class attends.

PBL is VERY relaxing if you have a strong will to study little by little everyday rather than procrastinate. I can tell you all now that the Academic Affairs office the source of all problems for my class DDS1. They are sooo disorganized it's unbelievable. Sergio, from the financial aid office, gets more done than the entire staff (I saw at least 4 people sitting around doing nothing). This is just my experience so far...I'll come back in a few years to bitch about the clinicals :laugh:

very interesting...

Resource sessions are IN ADDITION to the lectures/labs I listed. Resource sessions are meant to help you understand and identify the major concepts that were covered in the previous case.

Yes, it's true. People b!tch and complain that they want lectures in addition to the PBL cases and resource sessions b/c they can't figure out the info. on their own, but then the school starts providing lectures and literally 1/8th of the class shows up. It's ridiculous.

The clinical operations are in turmoil. The clinic is not running efficiently, but we already know this because of the terrible graduation rates. But more importantly, it comes down to scheduling patients, USC canceling their walk-in policy and the lack of faculty that can give COMPETENCY EXAMS. However, it seems that students will soon be able to take comp. exams at off-site locations (not allowed before), which will help a lot.

The Dean and a lot of the administration are under the microscope right now (literally) by the University for its dismal grad. rates. So, I would not be surprised to see some major administrative changes.

Look, USC (the university) is one of the best in the world. It has a major reputation to uphold, so the university is not going to stand by and watch as the dental school (one the oldest colleges at USC) continues to not graduate people and continue to rot from the inside. The interesting thing too is that the university did not know what was happening at the dental school until about 3 weeks ago. Things will change. I know upperclassman have heard that for 3 or 4 years now, but the heads of the university were never involved until now.

Ihave talked to D3 from USC a few days ago. She told me that she actually enjoyed the PBL. According to her, it allows you to have a "LIFE" as D1&D2 instead of drving you crazy for studying.She also mentioned that the poor graduation rate is due to bad situation in the clinic. My only question is.. is the class of 2012 will be fine by the time they start to work in the clinic if the school just started to recognize the terrible situation there

Only negative with Loma Linda is the air in that area.

Seems like all the smog from the LA Basin eventually makes its way to San Bernardino mountains and stays there. It's gotta be like smoking one-pack-a-day up there.

Did you know Loma Linda discovered Mineral Trioxide Aluminum?

PBL is aiite. Pretty relaxing. I don't even study half as much as I did in undergrad.

Resource sessions are IN ADDITION to the lectures/labs I listed. Resource sessions are meant to help you understand and identify the major concepts that were covered in the previous case.

Yes, it's true. People b!tch and complain that they want lectures in addition to the PBL cases and resource sessions b/c they can't figure out the info. on their own, but then the school starts providing lectures and literally 1/8th of the class shows up. It's ridiculous.

The clinical operations are in turmoil. The clinic is not running efficiently, but we already know this because of the terrible graduation rates. But more importantly, it comes down to scheduling patients, USC canceling their walk-in policy and the lack of faculty that can give COMPETENCY EXAMS. However, it seems that students will soon be able to take comp. exams at off-site locations (not allowed before), which will help a lot.

The Dean and a lot of the administration are under the microscope right now (literally) by the University for its dismal grad. rates. So, I would not be surprised to see some major administrative changes.

Look, USC (the university) is one of the best in the world. It has a major reputation to uphold, so the university is not going to stand by and watch as the dental school (one the oldest colleges at USC) continues to not graduate people and continue to rot from the inside. The interesting thing too is that the university did not know what was happening at the dental school until about 3 weeks ago. Things will change. I know upperclassman have heard that for 3 or 4 years now, but the heads of the university were never involved until now.

Wow! I wonder why the heads of the university only found out just now! Was it internal politics or is there an article in the paper somewhere about this?

A red flag was raised over the summer about this issue, but the administration some how avoided an investigation.

Interestingly, the Dean's office just released a 4 page memo to the dental school community talking about immediate changes that are taking place as of today. Also, 20+ students will be done by Jan. 2008, which is more than the entire "on-time" graduating class last year. Additionally, consultants are coming in to look at the clinic, evaluate it and make necessary changes in order to get this thing running efficiently (these consultants have no ties to the dental school or university).

I would expect the 2007 grad rates to be the lowest/worst it will get and by 2009, grad rates should be where they are suppose to be (speculation of course).

Oh yeah, there is now a severe penalty for phantom booking chairs, which is a real issue here. First violation, a week suspension. Second offense, ethical violation. And they are now offering 4 extra days a month for comp. exams. Things should get better.

A red flag was raised over the summer about this issue, but the administration some how avoided an investigation.

Interestingly, the Dean's office just released a 4 page memo to the dental school community talking about immediate changes that are taking place as of today. Also, 20+ students will be done by Jan. 2008, which is more than the entire "on-time" graduating class last year. Additionally, consultants are coming in to look at the clinic, evaluate it and make necessary changes in order to get this thing running efficiently (these consultants have no ties to the dental school or university).

I would expect the 2007 grad rates to be the lowest/worst it will get and by 2009, grad rates should be where they are suppose to be (speculation of course).

Oh yeah, there is now a severe penalty for phantom booking chairs, which is a real issue here. First violation, a week suspension. Second offense, ethical violation. And they are now offering 4 extra days a month for comp. exams. Things should get better.

It is good to hear that they are taking actions. definitely it is something I should take into consideration..

Very, very interesting!

Lol...I read that memo too. It all sounds good on paper...but the important thing is: "If they can talk the talk, can they walk the walk?" I suspect that things won't be completely better just within a couple years. I REALLY hope the outside consultant team work their magic :thumbup:

Lol...I read that memo too. It all sounds good on paper...but the important thing is: "If they can talk the talk, can they walk the walk?" I suspect that things won't be completely better just within a couple years. I REALLY hope the outside consultant team work their magic :thumbup:

Do you go to SC Dental?

mandatory church and/or Sunday service at LLU?:confused:? sorry, nothing against other religions, just don't like when its forced on me. guess i'm not applying there.....

mandatory church and/or Sunday service at LLU?:confused:? sorry, nothing against other religions, just don't like when its forced on me. guess i'm not applying there.....
The rule is that you just have to show up. No one is making anyone worship. Plenty of non-SDA people have told me they just study in the back or something.

Certainly your choice - not like they have a shortage of applicants anyhow.

There is a once a week chapel requirement on Wednesday. I believe that if stuff comes up (emergencies, etc...), you can miss up to two a quarter.

Anybody else care to comment on USC?

USC does have a good previous track record...I mean not in the last several years, but back in the day. They're also making good changes, which I think will lead them in a good direction. They know they've made a mistake, and now they're compensating. Also, I've heard that the people at USC tend to be beautiful, not that you'll necesarily have time to birdwatch.

USC does have a good previous track record...I mean not in the last several years, but back in the day. They're also making good changes, which I think will lead them in a good direction. They know they've made a mistake, and now they're compensating. Also, I've heard that the people at USC tend to be beautiful, not that you'll necessarily have time to birdwatch.

You have any info on how they are compensating for their "mistakes"?

wow!!!!!
excellent thread going on here......................

at USC interview, things were totally unorganized. they called us at 7 am and we even cudnt register untill 8 30 am.

also next day, they called us at 730 am and many were having interview at 4 pm! that is ridiculus. they just have to sit for the whole day without any purpose.....

no personal involvement of professors..

our interview was a mock PBL session which was held by a nondental guy. who didnt know anything and cudnt even direct the interview towards right side.

it was very bad experience..

Isn't loma linda the school that says you can't drink or smoke weed? I'd stay away from this place if I were you..it sounds like they're trying to act like parents

wow!!!!!
excellent thread going on here......................

at USC interview, things were totally unorganized. they called us at 7 am and we even cudnt register untill 8 30 am.

also next day, they called us at 730 am and many were having interview at 4 pm! that is ridiculus. they just have to sit for the whole day without any purpose.....

no personal involvement of professors..

our interview was a mock PBL session which was held by a nondental guy. who didnt know anything and cudnt even direct the interview towards right side.

it was very bad experience..

Were you there for the ASPID (international program) by any chance? That would be my guess since it looks like you had a two day interview. I know those candidates interviewing for the regular DDS program have a fully filled day without having to "sit for the whole day without any purpose."

Sorry to hear about your unorganized experience. I hope you made a note of that on the interview evaluation because I know for a fact they are always trying to improve the interview process.

Isn't loma linda the school that says you can't drink or smoke weed? I'd stay away from this place if I were you..it sounds like they're trying to act like parents
yes, loma linda is the only place in the world where they say you can't smoke weed.

yes, loma linda is the only place in the world where they say you can't smoke weed.

My goodness, what anarchy. I wouldn't be surprised if they called for random drug tests from students..do they?

I wasn't serious about the weed part by the way lol, but I do hear they're strict on many things

the only restrictions I am aware of are the fact that there is no meat sold on campus, nor are caffeine products. In terms of drinking, they say you shouldn't, but they don't do random searches of your home or anything. Same with smoking.

hey i just had an interview last thursday and i didnt have to show up at 7am or wait around for anything
granted the pbl session was lead by dubious? people but I enjoyed it.