Loma Linda vs Utah (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NerddNeckk

Reaction score
CA resident. HPSP applicant (Navy)

School 1: Loma Linda
Pros:
  • Good Reputation in SoCal (praised highly by dentists I shadowed)
  • Could commute from home (~45min), making it overall cheaper than U of U since I wouldn't have living expenses. However, I don't know if this is reasonable for a dental student for 4 years.
Cons:
  • Bigger class size (100)
  • Slightly more expensive. (397k compared to U of U 376k)
  • Mandatory religion class and chapel?

School 2: University of Utah (OOS)
Pros:
  • Smaller class size (50)
  • SLC is nicer than Riverside
Cons:
  • Newer School (First class graduated 2017)
  • Further from home

Summary: I know that HPSP is not guaranteed as I am just an applicant. I always told myself I would go with the cheaper school, but here the costs between the two are close enough to where I want to know what would be the better choice in all other aspects. With U of Utah being a newer school, I am unsure whether a graduate from there would be held to the same level as an LLU graduate.

Members don't see this ad.

CA resident. HPSP applicant (Navy)

School 1: Loma Linda
Pros:
  • Good Reputation in SoCal (praised highly by dentists I shadowed)
  • Could commute from home (~45min), making it overall cheaper than U of U since I wouldn't have living expenses. However, I don't know if this is reasonable for a dental student for 4 years.
Cons:
  • Bigger class size (100)
  • Slightly more expensive. (397k compared to U of U 376k)
  • Mandatory religion class and chapel?

School 2: University of Utah (OOS)
Pros:
  • Smaller class size (50)
  • SLC is nicer than Riverside
Cons:
  • Newer School (First class graduated 2017)
  • Further from home

Summary: I know that HPSP is not guaranteed as I am just an applicant. I always told myself I would go with the cheaper school, but here the costs between the two are close enough to where I want to know what would be the better choice in all other aspects. With U of Utah being a newer school, I am unsure whether a graduate from there would be held to the same level as an LLU graduate.
not that familiar with LL, sorry
except for i have been told that the religion/chapel requirement is minimal
more impact from the caffeine ban
no events at all on saturdays...

Utah
pros- utah first years pick up handpieces the third day of school
they see patients for cleanings i believe at the end of their first year, and are doing fillings by the start of second year
crowns can be done second semester of second year by some students
utah medicaid pays for crowns and dentures at UU dental school only
newer facilities
smaller class
nicer city with mountains/skiing/snowboarding close by

cons- student body some cycles is not very diverse

Does that ~$20k price difference factor in living at home for Loma Linda? I’d probably pick the more established Loma Linda and CA alumni connections assuming you want to stay in CA long term.

The cost difference is pretty negligible, I would say how you feel about the location and religious vibes of both places matters more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does that ~$20k price difference factor in living at home for Loma Linda? I’d probably pick the more established Loma Linda and CA alumni connections assuming you want to stay in CA long term.

The cost difference is pretty negligible, I would say how you feel about the location and religious vibes of both places matters more.
No the prices I listed do not include the cost of living. From my understanding the cost of living at both is roughly the same (~16k/year?). I honestly do not know if I see myself staying in CA long term.

Congrats on 2 offers!
I’d choose loma. You can live at home which would be a savings. Is that factored in the numbers you gave? Are you planning on practicing in CA afterwards?
There’s a religious vibe in both locations. Did you visit Utah?
Thank you!! No the prices I listed do not include the cost of living. From my understanding, the cost of living at both is roughly the same (~16k/year?), so if I were to choose to move out for LLU it would be like 480k and U of Utah would be like 450k. However, if I did commute to LLU it would be the price I mentioned of 397k. Is a 45min-1hr commute reasonable? As for practicing in CA, I'm not really set on it and would be open to moving given a good opportunity. I visited Utah for my interview and really liked SLC, so I don't think I would be dreadful if I had to move.