Word Search Feature on AAMC Practice Tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snuffle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The AAMC FLs have a word search feature in the top left corner of the testing screen. Is this feature included on the real MCAT as well? Can be a pretty helpful tool.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The AAMC FLs have a word search feature in the top left corner of the testing screen. Is this feature included on the real MCAT as well? Can be a pretty helpful tool.
Thanks

Huh, never noticed that on the practice... would come in handy on verbal, for starters (i.e. "The word [i|blah[/i] as used in the passage means...").

No. You need to work on your natural quick-scan ability to look for the word if you are asked. If possible, practice a speed search where you search a paragraph for a word without picking up the content when asked for word-find.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about using Cntrl F? I know the computers we test on are probably stripped down but I think that's a OS setting or something that might not be able to be turned off... would it work?

Because unlike some people, I type 80 wpm and speed read 700 wpm, making me a terrifying person to defeat using such antiquated technologies as lack of word search or long scroll bars filled with thick text.

what about using Cntrl F? I know the computers we test on are probably stripped down but I think that's a OS setting or something that might not be able to be turned off... would it work?
Won't work, just like ctrl-c or ctrl-v or any other keyboard shortcut won't work. Escape on the other hand will work (and mess you over).

Oh, also marking will be allowed too

And also be aware of the time reminder, in the practice website, when it pops that you still have 5 min, the timer will stop, but in the real thing, I rememberred that the timer will keep counting

Highlighting will be allowed, striking will be allowed
I remember I took the gold standard practice test, and one of the things they let you do is if you highlight a word in the question, they highlight that word, if it exists, in the passage. Is that possible on the test???

i'm not getting my hopes up

I remember I took the gold standard practice test, and one of the things they let you do is if you highlight a word in the question, they highlight that word, if it exists, in the passage. Is that possible on the test???

Probably not. I dunno if you can highlight questions either. I think you can only highlight the passage.

No.
Supposedly hitting escape reverts your essay to the last saved change, but I never actually tried it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDolla
What about that highlighting the passage tool? Will that be available?

Highlighting will be allowed, striking will be allowed
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
can we highlight a new sentence and still have the previous sentence highlighted?like lets say highlighting certain parts in each paragraph? if yes how?

would the highlight go missing if you click anywhere on the passage?if yes it sucks big time...

I heard that with the highlighting function, it doesn't keep your highlights or strikeouts if you move on to a different passage :(

Also apparently the Verbal on the REAL test is much longer than on any practice test. My friends said she just kept scrolling and scrolling....So be prepared to read much faster.