Need advice about clinical psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onelove710

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm actually in my first year of a PsyD program right now... at John F. Kennedy University in California. The reason why I chose this was because I did research in my undergrad and absolutely grew cynical over it. I have a huge problem with some psychological research and I found it hard to find universities in Canada (where I'm from) that had research areas that I could focus on for a few years.

I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions about the PsyD program. The important thing here is if you want to go into academia, PhD is the way for you. If you care about practicing, either one is good. I love the practical emphasis on the PsyD... I'm in my first year and already we're required 216 hours in a clinical setting.

Im currently trying to decide what i should do, I was medical school bound at first but then realized that psychiatry was not what i wanted, I'd rather give therapy than prescribe medication. So now i am interested in graduate school, trying to figure out whether to do a masters in clinical psychology and then continue on to a psyD program. How are you liking JFK University? and what are your thoughts on how to choose where to apply? Also, do you know if doing a masters in clinical psychology will be transferred to a psyD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Im currently trying to decide what i should do, I was medical school bound at first but then realized that psychiatry was not what i wanted, I'd rather give therapy than prescribe medication. So now i am interested in graduate school, trying to figure out whether to do a masters in clinical psychology and then continue on to a psyD program. How are you liking JFK University? and what are your thoughts on how to choose where to apply? Also, do you know if doing a masters in clinical psychology will be transferred to a psyD program?
doing therapy and prescribing meds does not necessarily need to be mutually exclusive.